New (Used) 8s issues? Need help.

More
27 Jan 2015 22:30 #28127 by R/C Madman
Replied by R/C Madman on topic New (Used) 8s issues? Need help.
No it did not help at all. The TX seems to be working but I can't seem to get to work right.

I installed the stock Walkera firmware to see if I could use my Anylink2 to fly my Ominous and it binds to it but I get zero controls to work.

I ordered a Walkera RX to use in place of my Spektrum RX's in hopes it will work with my Flame Wheels?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2015 08:43 #28146 by R/C Madman
Well I am not sure how much this may have to do with my issues but I was wondering why I had a strange looking antenna on my used 8s? I took it off and noticed that both sides are female. I checked a PCI 2.4Ghz wireless I have and sure enough one side should have a "Male" pin.

I am sure the guy that sold it to me knew he sold me it with the wrong antenna so now I new a new "Male" antenna.

Anyone know if there are better than stock units or the stock one will do?

More
28 Jan 2015 09:02 #28148 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic New (Used) 8s issues? Need help.
If you are unlucky, running the transmitter without the right antenna damaged it. If you get no or low range, that is why.

More
28 Jan 2015 09:10 - 28 Jan 2015 09:18 #28149 by R/C Madman
Well I don't think there was any connection with this antenna as they are both female fittings.

I should add I did not use the Wifi antenna. I only used it as visual reference.

How many DB is the stock antenna? Can I use any 2.4Ghz antenna in the same DB range?
Last edit: 28 Jan 2015 09:18 by R/C Madman.

More
28 Jan 2015 15:02 - 28 Jan 2015 15:05 #28157 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic New (Used) 8s issues? Need help.
Seems to be a RP-SMA antenna(male) on a SMA socket(female). You will need an antenna with SMA connector ( pin inside>male).
Then test your module(range) if it is still alive (PA).

Edit:... or an ataptor.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 28 Jan 2015 15:05 by aMax.

More
28 Jan 2015 15:12 #28158 by Arakon
That's just the point. That way you didn't have an antenna, and that can damage the transmitter, as the power output is not terminated by the 50 ohm antenna.

More
28 Jan 2015 15:17 #28160 by voyn
Replied by voyn on topic New (Used) 8s issues? Need help.
Yikes. That may go a long way to explaining at least some of the issues you've been having. Doesn't explain the issues with your Ominus since it uses the NRF24L01 chip, which *should* have it's own antenna. The one on mine was detachable so it may be a good idea to pop the cover off and check. While you're in there, reference that picture I posted in the other thread and make sure your throttle and rudder wires aren't switched around. The thing where the throttle safety warning only went away when you moved to full right rudder still has me scratching my head.

More
28 Jan 2015 18:09 - 28 Jan 2015 18:14 #28175 by R/C Madman
Man I am so sick of people selling their junk and then blaming you for the problems you may be having!

The antenna is clearly the wrong one for this TX but he wants me to bring it to a hobby shop to have the TX tested? Can't even do that without the correct antenna!

I searched online for antennas for the 8s and all of them are shipping from China.

Had to open a Paypal claim..... SOB!

Last edit: 28 Jan 2015 18:14 by R/C Madman.

More
28 Jan 2015 18:40 #28177 by aMax

More
28 Jan 2015 19:52 - 28 Jan 2015 19:57 #28179 by R/C Madman

aMax wrote: First try to get something like this...
www.banggood.com/SMA-Male-To-RP-SMA-Fema...nector-p-923110.html

I have looked but can't find any that ship from the US and if I wait for the part to arrive from China I can no longer file the claim. 30 day limit.

Would the adaptor not have to be double male SMA as both the antenna and the TX are female?

The TX did not seem to function properly as soon as I got it. If the only issue is the antenna that would be fine but I can't get a SMA male antenna locally. Again has to ship from China.

The seller is claiming I damaged the TX from not knowing how to get the TX in USB mode.. From what I have read that would not cause damage and I have since been able to successfully load factory firmware and reinstall Deviation firmware so what conclusion would you draw at this point?
Last edit: 28 Jan 2015 19:57 by R/C Madman.

More
28 Jan 2015 20:05 #28181 by Arakon
Grab an antenna from a wifi router and try it with that. Same thing. Just turn off the router in the meantime.

More
28 Jan 2015 20:16 - 29 Jan 2015 11:10 #28183 by aMax
Seller is telling nonsense.
Ask him how long he used the tx with this "original" antenna..... :evil:

Despite you like the tx and the rest is working right you might ask him for a proper rebate or open the claim.
This money must cover at least 1x antenna, 1x pigtail(RG174cable) and a CYRF module.
www.banggood.com/Walkera-WK-DEVO-S-MOD-U...8S-12S-p-922596.html ...........

......and tip... :lol:

The prices may vary.

Last edit: 29 Jan 2015 11:10 by aMax. Reason: missing letters..

More
28 Jan 2015 20:18 - 28 Jan 2015 20:21 #28184 by aMax

Arakon wrote: Grab an antenna from a wifi router and try it with that. Same thing. Just turn off the router in the meantime.

... :whistle:
He needs a SMA and not a RP-SMA antenna now.

Last edit: 28 Jan 2015 20:21 by aMax.

More
28 Jan 2015 22:20 - 28 Jan 2015 22:23 #28187 by R/C Madman

aMax wrote:

Arakon wrote: Grab an antenna from a wifi router and try it with that. Same thing. Just turn off the router in the meantime.

... :whistle:
He needs a SMA and not a RP-SMA antenna now.

Yes that is correct. The antennas on my router and wifi adapters are all female.

The SMA male antennas are not so easy to come by in the US?

I searched for a few hours late last night and I have to get it from China. I did see a Futaba TX antenna that looked to be the same (No specs) but it was $25 and I am not 100% it is a SMA.

And yes he is full of S&%^! I may not have been able to figure out the firmware loading/upgrading right away but I am pretty sure that it is pretty hard to brick the TX or damage it by not being able to enter a mode?

I have read that you can damage it by not having a antenna connected though! Something he did not I...... :sick:

I was able to find a antenna that fits but I am unsure of the DB? It came off one of my 3DRadio telemetry units. It is pretty short guessing 2db?

Edit I forgot these won't work either. They are for 915Mhz!
Last edit: 28 Jan 2015 22:23 by R/C Madman.

More
29 Jan 2015 01:14 #28191 by R/C Madman
Seems to be fixed. Went to the hobby shop and was able to get a antenna off a broken radio that had the right connector.

When I got home I was able to bind to my Flame Wheel with the Orange RX and reverse a few channels to get it airborne. It was a little too jumpy for indoors so I need to fine tune it.

I will have a Walkera 8ch RX delivered tomorrow and I will see how it does with that..

I will say I am still a bit POed that the seller would not take any responsibility for installing the wrong antenna in the first place. He says it worked just fine for him and maybe it did but I can't see how it had much range at all..

Ok time to enjoy this new toy!

More
29 Jan 2015 03:03 #28193 by voyn
Replied by voyn on topic New (Used) 8s issues? Need help.
Hey, that's great! Glad it is working now. Doesn't quite explain your trouble with the Ominus, since the NRF24L01 chip should have its own antenna inside the radio case, but maybe loading the latest firmware will have helped.

If your Devo's main RF module turns out to be damaged, at least it's modular and has its own socket. Not sure where to get one or for how much, but at least it should be an easy swap.

Sucks that the guy you bought it from was so unhelpful. That thing about frying the radio because you couldn't put it in USB mode is complete BS.

More
29 Jan 2015 05:30 - 29 Jan 2015 17:27 #28195 by R/C Madman

voyn wrote: Hey, that's great! Glad it is working now. Doesn't quite explain your trouble with the Ominus, since the NRF24L01 chip should have its own antenna inside the radio case, but maybe loading the latest firmware will have helped.

If your Devo's main RF module turns out to be damaged, at least it's modular and has its own socket. Not sure where to get one or for how much, but at least it should be an easy swap.

Sucks that the guy you bought it from was so unhelpful. That thing about frying the radio because you couldn't put it in USB mode is complete BS.

I don't have a NRF24L01 installed. I was using my Anylink2 which should work and it does work on my DX6i but that was not really my main concern with this TX. I wanted it for my Flame Wheels. I have a 3.5 Mega Multiwii installed on one with GPS and a CC3D on the other. I need the extra channels (More than 6) to use the flight modes. I also have a APM 2.8 ordered along with a 6H GPS that I want to be able to do waypoint as well as use the other GPS features like Pos Hold, RTH and a few others without only being able to use one at a time.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2015 17:27 by R/C Madman.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds