A plan: Swapping NRF24L01 Modules?

More
19 Feb 2015 13:56 - 19 Feb 2015 13:59 #28888 by ohaya
A plan: Swapping NRF24L01 Modules? was created by ohaya
Hi,

I want to add a NRF24L01 module to my DEVO 7E, but Massive RC is out of stock.

So, I ordered this ribbon cable from them:

www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/en/333-15-c...h-2x4-connector.html

and, while I wait for a module that I ordered from BG, I ordered a couple of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141251906891

I know the Ebay ones don't have a PA (and LNA, whatever that is), but they do have a printed antenna, so probably will have less range, but I figured that once I get the cable, I can solder that into the 7E and use the Ebay module to test.

Then when the other one (with SMA antenna connector) comes in, I should be able to just swap that in by unplugging the Ebay one.

I wrote to the EBAY seller and he/she said that the pinout for their module was here:

nathan.chantrell.net/blog/wp-content/upl...2013/08/nrf24l01.jpg

Anyway, does this sound reasonable? Has anyone here used the one with the printed antenna before?

Thanks,
Jim
Last edit: 19 Feb 2015 13:59 by ohaya.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2015 00:39 #28898 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic A plan: Swapping NRF24L01 Modules?
I use one with a printed antenna in a Devo 6s. Works fine, but I use the 6s for indoor flying, so haven't done any kind of range test. I've seen reports on the web claiming 50 meters between two of those, so you should be able to get at least that between it and an Rx with an antenna.

The pinout is the same as all the NRF modules on PBR's module list, so it should be a drop-in replacement for the PA/LNA one for hardware. You will have to set has_pa-nrf24l01 to 0, not 1, for this, and change it back for the new one.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
20 Feb 2015 01:24 #28900 by ohaya
Replied by ohaya on topic A plan: Swapping NRF24L01 Modules?
mwm,

Thanks! And also thanks for mentioning about setting the has_pa-nrf24l01!

I already have the module, and the ribbon cable from Massive should be in tomorrow or Friday, then I'll get it into the 7E.

Jim

More
20 Feb 2015 21:53 - 20 Feb 2015 21:55 #28937 by ohaya
Ok, I got the cable:

www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/en/333-15-c...h-2x4-connector.html

and this module:

[url=http://]http://www.ebay.com/itm/141251906891[/url]

So I'm ready to do this!!

From what I've read I connect the follow:

Red wire - to rightmost pin on that module inside the 7E

Brown and Yellow wires - to rightmost hole on board (Vdd?)

Orange wire - second hole from right on board

Blue wire - to second pin from right on that module inside the 7E

Green wire - to third from the left pin on that module inside the 7E

Gray wire - to fourth pin from the left on that module inside 7E

Is that correct?

Also, I was wondering: I also have an A7105 coming. Do I just solder that sharing some of the same pins with the nRF24L01?

Thanks,
Jim
Last edit: 20 Feb 2015 21:55 by ohaya.

More
21 Feb 2015 02:15 - 21 Feb 2015 02:16 #28940 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic A plan: Swapping NRF24L01 Modules?

About the second module- yes they share pins except for the data pin, on the single row header (where VDD is on the right end) you can connect one to the (numbering L->R) holes 2 and 3, you just have to make sure you set them correct, one is A13 and one is A14).

Note there are multiple VDD and GND via's open so you won't have to stack those on eachother. Oh and for GND you don't have to use the right most pin on the stock module, again there are several GND vias and other GND locations closer to where the modules fit.

Here's mine, th black wire is GND, I used 22AWG silicone wire cause it doesn't melt like jumper wires do.

i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq247/1badv8...124-7947338A521E.jpg

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Feb 2015 02:16 by Cereal_Killer.

More
21 Feb 2015 03:01 #28941 by mwm
I just found a problem with my NRF24L01 with the on-board antenna. I was using with the YD717 protocol with no problems. However, I tried setting up the SLT protocol, and it locks up the Tx and then reboots when I try to init it.

It may be an issue with my rf module. or it may be that the NRF24l01 code has problems when there isn't a PA attached. I'm still investigating.

Either way, if you could try setting up an SLT module and letting me know what happens, I'd appreciate it!

More
21 Feb 2015 03:52 #28943 by ohaya
Actually, I just got down soldering the module into my 7E. Whoo boy, there's not much room in there for the module!

Anyway, so I got done soldering part, and I powered on my 7E and it still works in that I can still control my Nano QX like before the change, but I'm sitting here going "ok, now what? How do I know this thing is working ok or if maybe I messed up?".

Is there some test or something I can run to to see if the 7E is seeing the new module all right?

Keep in mind I'm new, so please be detailed.

Thanks,
Jim

More
21 Feb 2015 04:17 #28944 by ohaya

mwm wrote: I just found a problem with my NRF24L01 with the on-board antenna. I was using with the YD717 protocol with no problems. However, I tried setting up the SLT protocol, and it locks up the Tx and then reboots when I try to init it.

It may be an issue with my rf module. or it may be that the NRF24l01 code has problems when there isn't a PA attached. I'm still investigating.

Either way, if you could try setting up an SLT module and letting me know what happens, I'd appreciate it!

mwm,

Sorry for the panic :)!

Ok, reading I found out that I had to edit tx.ini on the 7E to change the "None" to "A13". I left the PA line to 0, since I don't have a PA.

So I saved the file and powered the 7E off then on, then I went in to load Model 11 (I don't know if I'm supposed to use a specific model at this point?).

Anyway, I then scrolled down to protocol, and I was able to see "SLT" without the "*".

Is that enough to confirm that the module is alive and well in my 7E??

Anyway, so I scrolled over to Re-init and selected that, and it gave me the beep.

I could also select HiSky protocol and it made the Bind button available and when I click "Bind" it beeped and said "Binding Model11".

Is that ok?

I don't know if I have any quads that would actually work with this module yet.

I have a Syma X5C-1 - should that work?

I have a JXD 385 coming from Tmart and also a Syma X11 from BG (China), but what else should this work with?

I have a couple of smaller quads, a Eachine CG-022 and a Hontai F803C?

Let me know. Now that I've gone and done this, I'm dying to get it to actually do something :)!!

Jim

More
21 Feb 2015 04:17 #28945 by mwm
If you're running 4.0.1, then you need to edit tx.ini. So connect your Tx to a USB port, and power it on while holding down the ENT button. Open the file tx.ini with a text editor. Pretty much any one will do;. Add this to it in front of the first line that starts with a '[':

[modules]
enable-nrf24l01=A13
has_pa-nrf24l01=0

This assumes you connected the CSN line to TMS on your 7e. If you instead connected it to TCK, use A14 instead of A13.

If you're running a nightly, then you need to edit hardware.ini instead of tx.ini. The lines are already in it, but commented out. Follow the steps above to get edit the file, then nncomment nrf24l01 lines. You'll want to change the has_pa-nrf24l01 to 0, and possibly change the enable_nrf24l01 value as well.

Power the 7e off and back on. It should boot normally. Hit ENT 4 times: that's model menu, model setup, and then load. Pick an empty model, and then load it. Now go down to the protocol selector, and start flipping through it. You should see a bunch of new protocols. if they have a '*' in front of them, then your model wasn't recognized.

if they don't have a '*', go ahead and pick one (NOT SLT), and then hit EXT until you're back on the main screen. Power the Tx of and back on. It should come up again, possibly with a dialog about binding. That's all fine. Now find a model that uses an NRF24L01 on the supported models list (link is in the left hand nav bar) that you have or can get. Set the model to that protocol, and follow the bind procedure for the model. It should bind, and if it spins the rotors when you blip the throttle, you're almost golden. Do a range test on the model, just to be sure. Since you have no pa, you'll just have to walk so far away you can' t really see the thing, and then have someone check to see if it responds when you blip the throttle, or if the Rx light is still solid, or some such.

For the test i asked about, select the SLT protocol, then go to the Bind/Re-init button and select it. On mine, this freezes for a few seconds, then reboots the Tx. That will lose the change you just made, so it will power back on with the old protocol in place.

I have an A7105 and NRF24L01 in my 6s. The A7105 uses one less line to the CYRF module than the others - it's either MISO or MOSI, I forget which. I put them both in by building y cables with two female headers and a wire-wrap wire. If you think the 7E is tight, you should see the 6S. same form factor, but it's got the 8S hardware - more CPU, color touch screen, etc.

More
21 Feb 2015 04:21 #28946 by mwm
Thanks for testing the SLT protocol. I guess I need to order another module :-(.

Yes, the Syma X5C should work. use the Syma protocol

Again, there's a "Supported Models' link in the left hand nav bar. It opens a google drive spreadsheet that lists models by manufacturer, showing which chip each uses, the protocol to use, and any protocol options you want to set. The NRF24L01 is very popular, so there are lots of choices.

More
21 Feb 2015 04:24 #28947 by ohaya
mwm,

Our wires crossed :)...

I already tried the Re-init of SLT, and when I do that, it just does that beep and stays on that Re-init button.

Is that rebooting the Tx? I'm guessing not, and if that is correct, then it seems like mine is behaving differently from what you were seeing (rebooting).

I'll take a look at te matrix iand see if there's anything that I have that might work, though I don't have many different quads, since I'm just starting.

Jim

More
21 Feb 2015 04:26 #28948 by ohaya
Hi,

I don't see a SYMA protocol?

I am using 4.0.1, and I thought I read that the Syma was only in the nightly builds?

Jim

More
21 Feb 2015 04:28 #28949 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic A plan: Swapping NRF24L01 Modules?
No problem with the SLT protocol on my 10 either. The behavior you describe is typical of not receiving spi data back from the nRF (infinite loop in wait_radio + watchdog timeout). The yd717 protocol does not have that issue, but doesn't bind unless it gets acks back from the model. Did it exit the bind screen automatically?

There's no MISO connection to the A7105.

More
21 Feb 2015 04:32 #28950 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic A plan: Swapping NRF24L01 Modules?

ohaya wrote: Hi,

I am using 4.0.1, and I thought I read that the Syma was only in the nightly builds?

Jim

For the X5C-1 use the SymaX protocol in the latest deviationtx nightly . That protocol also controls the X11.

More
21 Feb 2015 04:37 #28951 by mwm
Hexfet - thanks for the pointer on the SPI info. I'll double check that connection.

Ohoya - you're right, it's only in the nightlies. You may need to test with another model.

But I recommend upgrading to the latest nightlies for the NRF24L01. There's been quite a bit of work on it since 4.0.1, beyond just the syma protocols.

More
21 Feb 2015 04:45 #28952 by mwm
Time for another rant:

Ebay (and now Amazon) listers love gaming the search results. In looking for an NRF24L01 in north america, I found a bunch of listings that are in "Hong Kong, Canada". So they show up for my search, but actually ship from China.

Fortunately, there's a "report this item" link in the lower right of the listings. So I click it, select "listing practices", then something about "search manipulation", and finally "Other practices". When given a blank, I say "listed as in Canada so shows up in North America searches, but ships from China" (or wherever). I do the same for this inane "A7105/NRF24L01/CC2500/..." module listings, flagging it as "Keyword spamming".

I like to think it does some good.

More
21 Feb 2015 04:47 #28953 by ohaya

hexfet wrote:

ohaya wrote: Hi,

Jim

For the X5C-1 use the SymaX protocol in the latest deviationtx nightly . That protocol also controls the X11.

Is it this file:

deviation-emu_devo7e-v4.0.1-afa5a5c.zip

?

So I get that, unzip it, then run the Dfuze to push the .dfu file from that ZIP to the 7E?

And then I copy all of the files in the ZIP over to the 7E?

Thanks,
Jim

More
21 Feb 2015 04:56 #28954 by mwm
Yes, the afa5a5c is the latest nightly.

Yes, use dfuse to install the DFU file, then reboot in USB mode. Back up all the model files you've changed and the tx.ini file, and then copy all the files that came with the dfu to your Tx. You can either skip copying your model files and the tx.ini file, or copy your backups back to the transmitter.

You'll want to edit hardware.ini instead of tx.ini to add your nrf24l01 module to it.

More
21 Feb 2015 04:59 #28955 by ohaya

mwm wrote: Yes, the afa5a5c is the latest nightly.

Yes, use dfuse to install the DFU file, then reboot in USB mode. Back up all the model files you've changed and the tx.ini file, and then copy all the files that came with the dfu to your Tx. You can either skip copying your model files and the tx.ini file, or copy your backups back to the transmitter.

You'll want to edit hardware.ini instead of tx.ini to add your nrf24l01 module to it.

Ok, I'll give it a shot now.

Also, I tried to post this, but the forrum thought I was spamming, but the modules I got were item #141251906891 on ebay from Upgrade Industries in Spotsylvania. I bought from them because they are literally down the street from me...

Jim

More
21 Feb 2015 05:26 #28956 by ohaya

ohaya wrote:

mwm wrote: Yes, the afa5a5c is the latest nightly.

Ok, I'll give it a shot now.

Also, I tried to post this, but the forrum thought I was spamming, but the modules I got were item #141251906891 on ebay from Upgrade Industries in Spotsylvania. I bought from them because they are literally down the street from me...

Jim

WOW! It worked (I think), or at least I can bind to my X5C-1. I don't have an icon though (on the 7E).

I am using a "model9.ini" from symacx11c.zip file. Is there a better/more reccent one for the X5C-1 (and also with an icon?

Thanks,
Jim

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds