Replacement for the DEVO series for the future

More
14 Oct 2016 21:29 #54937 by vampy
Well the taranis is not cheap at all...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2016 07:47 #55036 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Replacement for the DEVO series for the future
Here is a guy modding his Flysky transmitter, maybe it give some insight on this tx.
fishpepper.de/2016/09/15/openground-part-1-components-pinout/

More
17 Oct 2016 07:50 #55037 by vampy
That is the i6s not the i6x.

More
17 Oct 2016 07:52 #55038 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Replacement for the DEVO series for the future
For the future: Maybe a transmitter with components which can be bought as a replacement separately / directly well.

- buttons
- button boards (e.g ENT + EXT)

More
17 Oct 2016 11:34 #55043 by epilot
Sounds like we need to work out how to manufacture a Deviation TX. Use standard components such as switches and buttons and stick it all in a laser cut enclosure. I don't know much about electronics but I do have a laser cutter so would be happy to help make some enclosures.

More
18 Oct 2016 20:30 #55111 by Lincoln
There's a new Turnigy TX on the market that I think would be a perfect candidate for Deviationtx, if possible.

[url=http://http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=99059]Turnigy Evolution[/url]

I think it's similar to the Flysky TX that was discussed earlier in this thread.

More
18 Oct 2016 21:06 #55115 by fishpepper
Replied by fishpepper on topic Replacement for the DEVO series for the future
The PCB in this one looks quite similar to the fs-i6s. I would expect that it uses the same hardware...

More
19 Oct 2016 14:00 #55144 by vampy
Turnigy Evolution has an STM32F072V8T6, so same hardware as i6s.

Rotated picture of an youtube video:

More
19 Oct 2016 14:01 #55145 by victzh
How can I take a look at the PCB? Are there public photos of it?

More
19 Oct 2016 14:05 - 19 Oct 2016 14:10 #55146 by vampy

Maybe a STM32F072VBT6... to bad quality so see if it s a 8 or B.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2016 14:10 by vampy.

More
19 Oct 2016 16:57 #55159 by fishpepper
Replied by fishpepper on topic Replacement for the DEVO series for the future
It is probably the same as on the fs-i6s (STM32F072VB).
I have some details about the FS-i6S on my blog:
fishpepper.de/2016/09/15/openground-part-1-components-pinout/

Should be quite easy to port my OpenGround code to the Turnigy Evolution B)

More
19 Oct 2016 21:03 #55171 by victzh
But unfortunately - not deviation :-( And there is no such part as STM32F072VC - F0 series is limited by 128K flash ROM.

More
12 Dec 2016 10:13 #56747 by rob
Well.. I find myself constantly looking for a new tx... and i don't mean "a tx", but the "all in one tx".

as it seems there will not be good/cheap/chinese tx launching soon... I honestly don't want to buy another walkera or noname brand.
Main reason is parts availability. (board fried for some reason, gymbal broke, lcd dead... it happened to many of us)

IMHO the only way to standout and keep the project alive is turning it 100% DIY.
Drop the chinese tx "rubbish".
some ideas:

- the heart will be a main board to satisfy every deviated desire, as in this thread CUSTOM TRANSMITTER BOARD
- maybe two boards, the mainboard and the tx board. Different mainboards for different prices? So you could start with a cheaper mainboard/less channels/less features and upgrade later
- custom 3d printed chassis (a few form factors), files from deviation team and everyone can have it 3d printed OR the taranis case is available cheap (15$) OR user designed
- using gymbal from taranis or easily available ones
- BOM, user would source all the external components (buzzers/speakers/switches/gymbals/lcd etc)

Kinda like a "modular DIY taranis"

edit the 3d file to fit the gymbals / lcd you want and such, if supported in code.

One main "official" project/code. Plugins in HW/SW for modules to add custom parts when needed.

Don't sell the transmitter as a ready made product. (regulations etc)

- PROS:
  • can do whatever you need hw/sw wise without constraints (except money :whistle: )
  • lifelong project
  • when a spare is no more available, e.g. gymbals or lcd, design a new cad model and 3d print it
  • big potential user base (programmers/engineers etc)
  • all protocols

- CONS:
  • the old farts will not understand how to build it etc. I bet they will have friends in their r/c circle that would! "build it and they will come"
  • more resources needed to start the project
  • not "legal"? so, do you think a deviated walkera is "legal"? :lol:

More
12 Dec 2016 15:38 #56754 by epilot
Between all the smart people here I don't think designing the electronics is an insurmountable obstacle. The RF part is effectively taken care of by the 4in1 TX module. However investment would be needed to get manufacturing going. I wonder if it would be possible to partner with someone like Lemon RX who seem to have the manufacturing capabilities.

More
12 Dec 2016 16:50 #56757 by vmsda

epilot wrote: ... I wonder if it would be possible to partner with someone ...

I think that if Deviation does not have a stable hardware partnership it will slowly become the domain of a select small group, and fade away.
Additionally, it should be offered as an alternative implementation in some "established" TX brand.
Think of it as the carrot and the stick.

More
12 Dec 2016 17:34 #56758 by victzh
Gimbal costs $15, you need two. Taranis case - $15. Switch - around $3-4. Potentiometer - $5. (6 switches + 2 pots = $30-35). Monochrome LCD 128x64 - around $5.

Reasonable MCU board - $15.

So, it's $95-100 just for the case with all the switches, gimbals, LCD and MCU board.

Compare it with Radiolink AT9, which is already assembled and requires minimal (although non-trivial for some - unsoldering an RF module) mod. It can be had for the same $95, but all the plastics, switches, pots etc already installed. You don't need to care about power supply - it has better power distribution architecture than many.

So, stable hardware partnership is ideal, but making a kit for DIY TX - inefficient, there are better solutions yet.

More
12 Dec 2016 17:47 - 12 Dec 2016 23:02 #56759 by aMax

vmsda wrote:

epilot wrote: ... I wonder if it would be possible to partner with someone ...

I think that if Deviation does not have a stable hardware partnership it will slowly become the domain of a select small group, and fade away.
Additionally, it should be offered as an alternative implementation in some "established" TX brand.
Think of it as the carrot and the stick.

A new entry level Taranis is coming up, possibly in the price range of the Devo10.
Since it has a module bay, it could be competitor.

www.horusrc.com/en/blog/the-new-frsky-ta...ky-taranis-x9d-plus/
www.banggood.com/2_4G-CC2500-A7105-Flysk...77.html?rmmds=search

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2...at-do-we-know-so-far

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 12 Dec 2016 23:02 by aMax. Reason: typo.grr

More
12 Dec 2016 17:51 #56760 by vmsda

victzh wrote: ... So, stable hardware partnership is ideal, but making a kit for DIY TX - inefficient, there are better solutions yet.

A "stable hardware partnership" could entail an assurance from the manufacturer that the chosen platform would not be discontinued on a whim, so prospective users would be confortable about the investment.
A DIY TX is the least desirable idea by far - this hobby's learning curve is already steep enough as it is!

More
12 Dec 2016 18:16 #56761 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Replacement for the DEVO series for the future
It now becomes very clear that open standards drive the technology forward and that it is getting well accepted.
not long ago people at the club would be anxious to fly home made electronics especially transmitters................
Now look at Cleanflight/Betaflight, Escs with blheli Dshot oneshot etc, Open Tx and Deviation.

Also it is surpricingly to see that the Asian manufacturars "follow the trends amazingly well" before you know it the open designs are put on the market under several designs. DIY RX of Middelic, 10th of different Cleanflight boars, blheli esc etc etc.
Iam very certain that if deviation community come up with a working software and description of the design, in no time there will be someone to make a board for a price we cannot do it......
Also when cheap we can be guaranteed people will buy it!

More
12 Dec 2016 22:39 - 12 Dec 2016 22:41 #56765 by Moeder

aMax wrote: A new entry level Taranis is coming up, possibly in the price range of the Devo10.
Since it has a module bay, it could be compeditor.

www.horusrc.com/en/blog/the-new-frsky-ta...ky-taranis-x9d-plus/
www.banggood.com/2_4G-CC2500-A7105-Flysk...77.html?rmmds=search

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2...at-do-we-know-so-far

Let's see what the cost of the tx will be, but it definitely looks promising.

Here's a link to a picture of the inside: http://www.rc-network.de/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1705714&d=1481436020
Last edit: 12 Dec 2016 22:41 by Moeder.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds