Need to choose between a Devo 10 and a Taranis X7

More
08 Feb 2017 00:20 - 08 Feb 2017 00:22 #58888 by Fallingwater
Long story short, I need a transmitter that'll control as many RTF quads as possible (I don't know if there is a secret technique for saying no to $20 flash deals, but if so I have yet to find it) while also being suitable for bigger video flyers with flysky or frsky receivers.

Months of pondering and reading have left me with the very vague idea that the Devo 10 with the banggood 4-in-1 RF module might be better to fly my growing fleet of RTFs, but the Taranis might be better as a Serious Radio for Serious Quads. There is a 4-in-1 module for the Taranis, but I'm told RTF support in opentx is a bit of an afterthought - apparently it isn't updated with many new models, since not many Taranis owners seem to care.

I can't afford both a Devo and a Taranis, though - it's gotta be one or the other.

Could you help dispel some of the doubt? Specifically about the Devo's suitability for long term advanced usage and the Taranis' apparent support for fewer RTFs?
Last edit: 08 Feb 2017 00:22 by Fallingwater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2017 02:05 - 08 Feb 2017 02:48 #58890 by aMax
If you are a programming expert, you might go with Q X7, but with Deviation on a Devo10 every thing will be much more easy to set up.
The structured menue is more convenient than pressing twice or long pressing a button.....:whistle:

The technic of the new Taranis is nice but the build quallity of the case and the gimbales are not.The screws are terrible to use.
Set my throttle stick from selfcenter to no center and I was afraid to break something.:huh:

Besides this, OpenTX 2.2 is not ready and so Companion can not be used to it´s full features.
Flashing firmware and updating the SDCard is ok, but you have to use the radio for every model setup. If you missed something,you have to exit and start from page one again, no simple page back.....
I was used to do all with EXT and ENT at power on with my Devo but now I have to set the QX7 into Bootloader mode before plugging into USB.
For easy accessing the SDcard as massstorage I could use a different firmware module but then the USBHID device is lost.

Think twice....

Edit: As for the multiprotocol module, the STM32 version seems to exiist as a DIY project only and the Atmel version can not hold all avilable protocols due to less ram. You must select what you want and compile......

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 08 Feb 2017 02:48 by aMax. Reason: edit

More
08 Feb 2017 07:48 - 08 Feb 2017 07:48 #58903 by Fallingwater
Replied by Fallingwater on topic Need to choose between a Devo 10 and a Taranis X7

aMax wrote: Edit: As for the multiprotocol module, the STM32 version seems to exiist as a DIY project only and the Atmel version can not hold all avilable protocols due to less ram. You must select what you want and compile......

You mean the module for the taranis?

Well this definitely makes me want the Devo more. Only thing left to figure out is if it's a transmitter one can use well into the future. Forums everywhere are rife with people going "I started on a Devo but got a Taranis when I got serious"...

I guess I could always do the same if needed later on, but I'd really like to save the money and put the $150 toward parts or more quads...
Last edit: 08 Feb 2017 07:48 by Fallingwater.

More
08 Feb 2017 08:15 #58904 by vlad_vy
After two days of trying to set up an alarm for the telemetry battery voltage I put my Taranis shelved until better times, and again using proven Devo 8s.

More
08 Feb 2017 08:39 #58905 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Need to choose between a Devo 10 and a Taranis X7
the main reason people look down on devo transmitters is because they are made by walkera, who had a long history of producing lower quality 'toy' grade rc models, but that hasn't been true for a good few years now. and the likes of the devo 8, 10, 12 are great transmitters and high quality, add the 4in1and deviation to either of those and you'll never need another transmitter, no matter how serious you get about the hobby

More
08 Feb 2017 08:43 - 08 Feb 2017 08:49 #58906 by Fallingwater
Replied by Fallingwater on topic Need to choose between a Devo 10 and a Taranis X7
Well, that's pretty much all I needed to hear to abandon the idea of getting the Taranis altogether.

Is there a better offer than the 10 on banggood for $130? I know nothing of the 8 and 12, I've been concentrating over 10 vs 7e (eventually deciding against the latter).

Note: I'm in Italy, so US-centric stores are of no use to me.

Thanks a bunch, this is really helping me :D
Last edit: 08 Feb 2017 08:49 by Fallingwater.

More
08 Feb 2017 09:06 - 08 Feb 2017 09:16 #58910 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Need to choose between a Devo 10 and a Taranis X7
tomtop has the devo10 for ~$120 shipped from their german warehouse >> m.tomtop.com/walkera-transmitter-receiver-1135/p-rm595.html and it can be had on ebay for $125 shipped but that's the cheapest I can find for a new one, you might be interedted to know also that there's a sale on the devo 12e for only $75, see here for details >> www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...5-for-deviation-fans

[edit]
sorry it seems the 12e price has changed to $85 shipped now instead of $75, but that is still a huge bargain, plus it comes with a 12ch rx
[/edit]
Last edit: 08 Feb 2017 09:16 by HappyHarry.

More
08 Feb 2017 10:24 #58917 by Fallingwater
That ucdrone offer is only valid for the US. As I said, I'm in Italy so I need international offers and stores, and I specifically have to avoid US stores - even if they do ship internationally - as American packages are overwhelmingly likely to be held for ransom by customs.

I'll check out offers for the 12e on Chinese ebay stores. Does it work with the banggood 4-in-1 and does it support the same RTFs with the deviation nightlies?

Thank you again. :)

More
09 Feb 2017 01:32 #58955 by C0ckpitvue 777
Replied by C0ckpitvue 777 on topic Need to choose between a Devo 10 and a Taranis X7
I brought my black devo 10 from here but I don't know the shipping situation to your country.
www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Walkera....13010608.0.0.i4UQdd

More
09 Feb 2017 12:38 #58982 by Denovich
The reason people eventually buy a Taranis is because everyone, especially the best pilots have one and you get tired of defending your choice (to yourself).

I started with 7e, got the 10e. Bought 10 more 10es, and hooked up all my friends. Then I bought a Spektrum DX9 used. The main reason being 11ms DSMX and the gimbals.

All my friends with Devos are still happy with them and still using them.

The DX9 is my primary TX. Yeah, the gimbals are smooth, but honestly not that much better than the Devo (both being better than the well-used Taranis I tried). I really like the DX9's voice alerts. But the deviationTX now supports 11ms DSMX, so my main reason for buying it is gone. I still use my 10e and 7e for flying anything non-DSM.

More
09 Feb 2017 15:58 #58999 by kaligola

Fallingwater wrote: Well, that's pretty much all I needed to hear to abandon the idea of getting the Taranis altogether.

Is there a better offer than the 10 on banggood for $130? I know nothing of the 8 and 12, I've been concentrating over 10 vs 7e (eventually deciding against the latter).

Note: I'm in Italy, so US-centric stores are of no use to me.

Thanks a bunch, this is really helping me :D

i bought mine white for 98 dhl from germany included on aliexpress from rc shop pro but now seems have no more. but can easily find at better price of 130 on aliexpress.
got 2 one for a friend and now he is very happy too. multimodule on 10 is easyest mod i have seen and im considering even if on my 7 e have nfr2401 and flysky for toys , so considering to get only a c2500 module, and use 10 for long range models ant 7e for toys.

is this the right one?
www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale-CC2500-....99999999.279.y4Vlaq

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds