Problem installing Deviation sw on F12E

More
23 Apr 2017 16:10 - 23 Apr 2017 21:40 #61706 by passagemaker
Problem installing Deviation sw on F12E was created by passagemaker
Just bought a new F12E for a quad to be built. Wanted a Walkera for the many choices it provides with deviation sw. DSMX to name one.

After installing Deviation version "deviation-devof12e-v5.0.0-1f9bcab" I am missing many functions on the tx compared to the Walkera FW 1.6A which I had installed first.
Telemetry for example. The screen tells me that is not available ???
I cannot find a hint where to chose a protocol if I want to communicate with a Walkera rx or a DSMX for example.
Languages are missing (not very important but it was announced to be there)
No data overlay on the screen, just the simple menu and so on.....
All in all it appears extremely simplified and I don´t believe that is correct.:dry:

I tried other releases found in the nighty builds but with the same result.
I once did the upload with the Java tool, then with dfuse. Both seemed to work well.
One has to remove the USB drivers and sw before changing from Java tool to dfuse (and vice versa) though. Otherwise the screen on startup showed "deviation USB" nothing else.

What did I mix up or miss?
Anyone any idea?
Edit:
"""Yes, I have an idea"""
I missed copying the files into the tx............
But then, it is not possible to copy the files they are too big.
Sure I made a mistake but where ???

Regards
Richard
Last edit: 23 Apr 2017 21:40 by passagemaker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2017 22:55 #61714 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Problem installing Deviation sw on F12E
I'm pretty sure the F12E is one of the "small SD" transmitters that use a custom file system, so you have to use the Java tool to copy the files over, not the USB interface.

Protocol selection is part of the model setup. This is documented in the manuals linked to in the left hand menu.

For the rest, it's hard to say what's wrong without knowing what you're doing. Telemetry, for instance, isn't available for most protocols not because deviation doesn't do it, but because the protocol creator didn't bother doing it. We also allow you to turn it off per model to save power, and. it's off for a lot of protocols by default. The message you're seeing is most likely an indicator that the current model doesn't have telemetry because it doesn't exist or is turned off, but you didn't say where you saw the message so it's hard to be sure.

So, the first step is to read the manual to figure out how to use the feature you're interested in. This is a problem for the F12E because it wasn't stable enough to be released at the time of the last release, so there's no manual specifically for it. The 7E/10 manual has some notes about using it, though. Worse yet, the available test versions have a drastically redesigned user interface for all models, so the illustrations are wrong though the menu trees should be the same. If you can't find something in the manual - ask. if it's related to the FPV features of the Tx, probably best to ask in the F12E thread. If you can follow the manual and it doesn't work as documented, ask but be sure and tell us the exact steps you took.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
24 Apr 2017 08:21 - 24 Apr 2017 10:44 #61722 by passagemaker
Replied by passagemaker on topic Problem installing Deviation sw on F12E
Thank you for the reply!

First time I followed the advice provided here: www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/5471-ho...eviation-possibly-f7
Second time I used the dfuse.
Every time I switch between them I first have to remove the dfu drivers. It seems they don´t like each other.
I was not aware that the Java uploader is mandatory for F12E in this case, will try.
Did not find a special F12E thread, though waded through many threads where this tx was mentioned.

Is the F12E restricted in some way compared with a Devo10 for example? I more and more have the impression that the top of the price list might not be the top performer???

Just to get that straight: am I right, that the FPV system in the F12E is working separated from deviation sw?

EDIT
I used Java uploader to format the tx drive hoping to wipe previous faulty installations.
Now I made a completely new setup of the fw (deviation-devof12e-v5.0.0-9aa657c)
then tried to connect pc/tx, that worked from the menu only. (normal startup without ENT)
The tx did NOT start prompting "deviation USB" as it did sometimes before.
Later it did but the problem was the same.
When I attempted to copy the files included in the "deviation-devo12-v5.0.0.zip" folder Windows told me the size is too big for target drive.

Pictures show
prompt on startup
main menu after pressing ENT
Usb does function
trying to copy to drive E which is the tx
error message in WIN 7 "not enough space"

Thanks again for your kind assistance
Richard
Last edit: 24 Apr 2017 10:44 by passagemaker.

More
24 Apr 2017 11:28 #61725 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Problem installing Deviation sw on F12E
You shouldn't use the USB for the standard F12E, but only the Deviation Uploader for uploading model files and everyting else.

More
24 Apr 2017 12:26 #61726 by passagemaker

FDR wrote: You shouldn't use the USB for the standard F12E, but only the Deviation Uploader for uploading model files and everyting else.

Thank you,

but even the (Java based) deviation uploader does not do the trick.
It does not "see" the files when I search for them wit the ... button.
Nor is it possible to move them into the window / box, or copy and paste.
Sure the fault is on my side, but cannot figure out where.

Maybe there is a member here willing to guide me through the process of setting it up (I personally am upset enough by so far).
Skype could be a convenient way if somebody was willing to waste his time with an old fart. :)

Regards
Richard

More
24 Apr 2017 18:59 #61739 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Problem installing Deviation sw on F12E
The F series transmitters have very small flash drives in them compared to the older (6/7E/8/10/12) transmitters. That's the only problem with the transmitter, but it means that you HAVE to use the deviation uploader to copy files to it. Windows and deviation use different file systems. If you format the drive with the uploader so deviation can use it, windows won't be able to read the disk, and if you format it with Windows deviation won't be able to read the disk.

The only place the current set of instructions say to search for a file with the "..." is at step 7 to find the zip file you downloaded. If you're having trouble finding that zip file, then your issue is Windows and I can't really help with that. The files inside that should be copied to the transmitter (both flashing the DFU and installing the model files & etc.) by the uploader in step 9 if you set things up to do so in step 8.

And yes, the deviation uploader and the dfuse tool use different drivers.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
25 Apr 2017 10:59 #61760 by passagemaker
Tried whatever I found in related topics, to NO avail.
Went back to Walkera fw of different "taste" and reinstalled Deviation but it does not work.

Last version I installed was "deviation-devof12e-v5.0.0-1f9bcab" but tried other versions too. All the same lousy result. :angry:

Now when I change simple settings like Vol. or Buzzer and switch off the tx all changes are lost.

The "Telemtry is not supported" message is another annoying thing (maybe it is required to have an rx "online" ?)

Anyway, the appearance is another point disturbing me. It looks like a 20cent display in a toy. Just plain white text on a blue screen? Where is the original appearance with the data overlay on the video screen? Where is the battery capacity displayed? etc. etc..............

I DID use the Java uploader and yes, I checked the "Format" box to be sure no traces of faulty installation are left. Yes I removed the drivers used by Devention uploader and restarted the computer.

The transmitter is brandnew and Walkera fw does work.

Now I am sitting here clueless as a child..........

Anyone out here to assist online by Skype ???

Regards
Richard

More
25 May 2017 18:32 #62550 by darthnugget
Replied by darthnugget on topic Problem installing Deviation sw on F12E
Sorry I have been away for a while in Alaska for business and I am just getting back into the online pieces of this hobby. I have been using mine for a while now without any problems but you must follow the directions carefully.

Also, what I have found is that uploading and changing the models, or transmitter settings will only work using the Java Deviation Uploader. PS. I am using Windows 10 now and no problems here uploading but it must be with the Java Deviation Uploader because of the unique File System (Really block storage management system) that Deviation uses.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds