How to load an F12E with Deviation(Possibly F7)

More
27 Feb 2016 03:41 - 11 Jul 2017 07:29 #43744 by darthnugget
Looks like now that the devo.fs is available you do not need to use this method I put together using the Java loader.

Do the following 8 steps only:
1. Install the DFUSE upload utility and run it
2. Download the latest firmware build for F12E.
3. Put the device in DFU mode.
4. Select the firmware version of deviation-devof12e-v....and then Click upgrade.
5. Power off the device, then turn it back on.
6. It should come up with devo.fs on a windows drive.
7. Copy over the devo.fs onto the USB drive over the existing devo.fs file (I had to delete and then copy over).
8. Then power cycle again and it boots!

This is much easier now that they have the devo.fs filesystem built into it.

IGNORE the old method below... kept around for posterity.

DISCLAIMER:
First let me say, I am new here (first drone arrived last week) and it took me a while (39 minutes to be exact) to figure out how to load the F12E with Deviation. This guide will not have every variable or option for upgrading your F12E. This is how I got my F12E to load. I am using Windows 7 (32-bit) with the latest patches and updates. I have not tried any other OSes so please do not ask me about it. Although, that is a great opportunity for you to try and figure it out and contribute to the community by responding with a post saying "Hey, the version of Windows <insert version here> works when you <insert your changes here>." Also you do any of this at your own risk!

DOWNLOAD PHASE:
First Download the following files from www.deviationtx.com to an easy to find folder. I use C:\temp (Yes I created this folder)
1. DFU USBDrv Installer-1.1.zip
2. DeviationUpload-0.8.0.jar
3. deviation-devof12e-v4.0.1-667678f.zip (I am using this one, but you are free to try others)
4. Download and install Java from www.java.com (Please dont install all their free spyware/nagware crap, like McAfee or Chrome, or have them change your homepage.)
5. Locate your Java.exe file (Mine was in "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_73\bin\java.exe" but yours might be different) you may need this later if prompted for running DeviationUpload-0.8.0.jar

CONFIGURATION PHASE:
Now that you have the files downloaded begin the configuration phase.
1. Extract the DFU USBDrv Installer 1.1.zip file
2. Open the extracted folder
3. Run the file DFU USBDrv Installer-1.1.exe (Say yes to the run prompt if you have Windows 7 like I do)
4. Install the Deviation USB driver (currently the first option)
5. After the installation is complete, close out.
6. VERY IMPORTANT to reboot your computer here! (I did not reboot the first time and I had many problems with the Deviation Uploader File Manager once it was formatted.

LOADING PHASE
Now that you have downloaded everything and configured your system begin the Loading Phase.
1. Find the DeviationUpload-0.8.0.jar file and double-click it (or you can right-click and say open).
2. If you are prompted tell it you want to manually find the application
3. To select an application to open the file, click the Browse button and then select the location of your Java.exe file. (You should see the Java splash screen starting and then the Deviation Uploader should open)
4. Once you have the Uploader open, connect your device via USB
5. Now hold down the EXT button and power on your device. (You should see "Program Update...." with a loading bar)
6. Go back to the Deviation USB Uploader and you should see the Transmitter change from Unknown to "Devo F12E"
7. Now select the "..." at the end of the Firmware section and then browse to deviation-devof12e-v4.0.1-667678f.zip and select open. (The Firmware information should update in the screen)
8. On my second F12E I selected the "Format" check box and the Replace tx.ini, hardware.ini, and replace models. This was a fresh from package unit so there were no models on it. The Format switch is recommended by PhracturedBlue (The person making this all possible ) when you do the first time loading of an F12E.
9. Once you are ready to load it (Be 100% sure) click the Install/Upgrade button.
10. After it completes, power off your device.
11. Unplug the device and power it back on!
12. There are more steps to get the model.ini, hardware.ini, and tx.ini on the device but I am still working on this part. I noticed that if I select the "USB" mode after Deviation boots that it will ask me to format using windows. Once I formatted it wiped out the Deviation install. I believe we need to use the Deviation Uploader for the File Management using the "File Manager" tab in the uploader. More to come when I have more time. If you are having an issue with uploading files with the Deviation Uploader then you did not reboot after installing the drivers and you need to uninstall. Reboot, Re-install, then Reboot again. Then go back to the start of the LOADING PHASE step 1.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! (<- three exclamations means to go drink three beers and celebrate). :woohoo:

THANK YOU PHASE:
Thank you to the development team for Deviation and a special thanks to PhracturedBlue for all your work on this model. We appreciate all you do and for including this wonderful transmitter in the builds.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2017 07:29 by darthnugget.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2016 06:57 #43753 by YARIMbe
Devo f7 doesn't work properly, apparently the firmware itself is corrupted.
I sent djtrance a P.M, hope it will work soon

More
27 Feb 2016 07:52 #43756 by Noel
Good morning everybody.
I suppose it's he same way for an"old" devo 12S ?
Opening with TRN Switch to join the screen "program update" ?
Regards

More
27 Feb 2016 10:07 - 27 Feb 2016 10:08 #43761 by YARIMbe
darthnugget did you at some point formatted the Tx using the devo tools? if yes could you elaborate on this?
Last edit: 27 Feb 2016 10:08 by YARIMbe.

More
27 Feb 2016 18:19 #43780 by darthnugget
Replied by darthnugget on topic How to load an F12E with Deviation(Possibly F7)
I did at one time check the format and other buttons but I was not sure if it was needed. I just got another F12E in the mail today so I am going to do a fresh one.

More
27 Feb 2016 18:35 #43781 by darthnugget

YARIMbe wrote: darthnugget did you at some point formatted the Tx using the devo tools? if yes could you elaborate on this?

I loaded a fresh one using the Format switch in the application and I dont see a difference. When I go into USB mode after Deviation is loaded it still asks to format it in Windows. If you format it in Windows it will wipe out the Deviation installation. When I have some additional time I will try to upload the folders and files using the File Manager tab in Deviation Uploader.

More
27 Feb 2016 19:09 #43782 by YARIMbe
Ok so I can confirm that using the format flag in the deviation uploader don't work on devo f7 either...
djtrance's reply was that he will check what is wrong with the firmware and that we should not format the disk using windows but instead use the deviation uploader (which as I mention doesn't work.)
let's hope there will be progress in this subject.

More
27 Feb 2016 21:08 #43783 by darthnugget
I found one post here that mentions that the format worked but it was on an older version of the Java uploader. The only other version I have seen is 0.7.0 and it didn't work either. It could be that older code works and the newer builds have a problem with it.

Here is that post.
www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...ation-firmware#36102

Also I want to try to see what happens if we load it with the one USB driver and then format with the Walkera or no driver and see if it still breaks the install of Deviation.

More
27 Feb 2016 21:51 #43787 by FDR
AFAIK you shouldn't format the drive anymore, because it uses an own filesystem format (devoFS).
You can upload or download model files using the universal installer, probably only in DFU mode, but I'm not sure about this...

More
27 Feb 2016 21:59 #43788 by YARIMbe
tnx FDR,
But on the devo F7 if you don't format, all you get is "Deviation USB" screen.
by saying universal installer you mean deviation uploader?
DFU mode is the one I get when pressing EXT and turning on the Tx? if yes than I already tried it.

More
27 Feb 2016 22:06 #43789 by FDR
Yes, I mean the uploader, and yes DFU mode is the one entering with the EXT.
I know it is a must for the F12E, but I didn't follow them closely.
I think djtrance exchanged his flash (or processor?) so he might have some custom fw on his F7...

More
27 Feb 2016 22:16 #43790 by YARIMbe
oh so I tried them all..
what's weird is this,
after installing the nightly firmware with the deviation uploader with all the flags checked with "V"s (format, library, protocol etc.)
when turning it on it says "Deviation USB" on the screen with no way to bypass, but if I connect It to my PC and format it using windows, I do get a welcome screen and the transmitter does seems to work on deviationTX, its just that the screen is not showing properly... (If I understand correctly after I format the disk using windows I'm Not supposed to see anything on the screen)
isn't it weird?
I will upload a video to this post as soon as I can... maybe it will help understand the problem.

More
27 Feb 2016 23:14 - 27 Feb 2016 23:15 #43796 by YARIMbe

here is the video.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2016 23:15 by YARIMbe.

More
28 Feb 2016 00:45 #43806 by darthnugget

YARIMbe wrote: oh so I tried them all..
what's weird is this,
after installing the nightly firmware with the deviation uploader with all the flags checked with "V"s (format, library, protocol etc.)
when turning it on it says "Deviation USB" on the screen with no way to bypass, but if I connect It to my PC and format it using windows, I do get a welcome screen and the transmitter does seems to work on deviationTX, its just that the screen is not showing properly... (If I understand correctly after I format the disk using windows I'm Not supposed to see anything on the screen)
isn't it weird?
I will upload a video to this post as soon as I can... maybe it will help understand the problem.

Yes yours is quite strange. On the F12E if I do not format the drive after the loading everything works for the TX. Video, trims, mixers, etc. Although I have had it crash a few times using some of the functions so I am not sure if I would use this as my primary TX just yet. The only thing I cant get working is transferring files and configurations. I have not rebooted my Windows machine yet so I will do that and report back if there are changes.

More
28 Feb 2016 03:04 - 28 Feb 2016 03:08 #43812 by darthnugget
I had some time this evening and I figured out my issue. I am now fully functional and I can transfer files into the F12E TX by using the Deviation Uploader. I have updated the Tutorial above with a very important reboot step after loading the Deviation Uploader USB driver.

Although, the USB mode inside of Deviation does not work yet because it asks to format the flash...and if you format the flash it wipes the Deviation installation. So to upload files you must put it in DFU mode (Hold EXT+Power on the TX) and you must use the Deviation Uploader File Manager.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2016 03:08 by darthnugget.

More
28 Feb 2016 08:05 #43821 by mwm
I don't believe that USB mode will ever work. Well, not without someone writing a file system driver for the desktop, anyway. It's the desktop OS that wants to format the drive because it doesn't recognize a file system on it.

Any chance you could take screen grabs of the various steps to add to the manual?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
28 Feb 2016 19:23 #43853 by darthnugget

mwm wrote: Any chance you could take screen grabs of the various steps to add to the manual?

I am in the process of recording it. I will post on YouTube after I am done. I am doing the split screen like YARIMbe did. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

More
29 Feb 2016 02:38 #43867 by mwm
I agree, a picture is worth a thousand words, which is why I want them for the manual. I can't put a youtube video in the manual. And unless you're going to update it as the software is updated (which would make you a very rare person indeed), a youtube video will eventually just become another outdate resource that will confuse people.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
29 Feb 2016 06:19 #43871 by diy
this is exciting news, can't wait to try it,

More
19 Mar 2016 22:51 - 19 Mar 2016 22:52 #44843 by JoeSnuffie
Replied by JoeSnuffie on topic How to load an F12E with Deviation(Possibly F7)

YARIMbe wrote: here is the video.

The exact same thing happens to me. I'm back to the Walkera .6b firmware now.
Last edit: 19 Mar 2016 22:52 by JoeSnuffie.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds