Radiolink AT9 as a platform for Deviation?

More
03 May 2016 04:49 #47624 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Radiolink AT9 as a platform for Deviation?
Here we go. Deviation running on an AT9:

I used PBM image format (same as for the F12E) so each image is only 2 colors, but I added a small extension that allows setting the foreground and background colors for each image. I then converted the Devo8 bmp files into pbm with imagmagick.

The filesystem is devofs running on the upper 256kB of the MCU. It currently takes up 61kB.
I have the rotary encoder working properly and mapped to left/right. there is no way to do a long-press on left/right, and there is no up/down, so I've temporarily mapped the trim up/down to the Up/Down buttons

The filesystem is currently read-only because If a write goes bad it could overwrite the bootloader. Once I back that up, I'll work on enabling write.

So basic functionality is now there. No protocol support yet. Figuring out how to control the interface with only 5 buttons will be the big deal. One trick would be to convert the rotary encoder from left/right to up/down when Mode is also down. IT would work, but I don't really like it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2016 05:02 #47625 by FDR
I think you will need to use the rotary for both left/right and up/down, and the function will depend on weather you are editing a field or not. That you need to switch with a button, like ENT.
So you scroll by the rotary switch up and down between the fields, you press ENT to edit that particular field, then use the rotary switch again to change the value. After that you have to use the ENT (or EXT) switch to finish editing the field, so you can scroll between the fields with the rotary again.
Quite different working...

More
03 May 2016 05:24 #47626 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Radiolink AT9 as a platform for Deviation?
You have a push button on rotary itself, no need to reach ENT for this. To exit you need to use EXT unfortunately.

More
03 May 2016 05:33 #47627 by PhracturedBlue
FDR, what you describe is likely the only reasonable solution, but changing the button controls is likely to be a huge task. I need to look at it and see if I can come up with something reasonable. As Victzh said, the rotary switch has a push button embedded which will be 'ENT' the buttons on the left are 'EXT' and 'Mode' (which I don't know what to do with).

Anyhow, I need a break before I tackle it. I'll get the AT9 checked in tomorrow.

More
03 May 2016 05:36 #47628 by PhracturedBlue
Also, I have no idea what to do about all the icons and backgrounds and whatnot. They all need to be redrawn to look ok in the 2-color mode.

More
04 May 2016 15:18 #47739 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Radiolink AT9 as a platform for Deviation?
Probably will be better upgrade memory chip first (hardware upgrade) and develop Deviation for Radiolink AT9 with upgraded memory chip only. I think it will be not too hard to implement memory chip upgrade.

More
04 May 2016 19:27 #47768 by victzh
It is VERY hard to upgrade the flash in-place. Because it does not have SPI flash, but I2C EEPROM. EEPROMs are much smaller in size than flash memory, they just don't make reasonable size EEPROMs which can serve as disk.

More
04 May 2016 19:59 #47770 by PhracturedBlue
also, while we do have a plan for adding more memory to the AT9 though an easyish mod, we don't actually know it will work yet. I'm not sure there is a real need for the extra space. We should have plenty of space for a nice clean interface using what I have now. coming up with a nice set of bi-level icons shouldn't be that hard.

More
14 May 2016 02:41 - 14 May 2016 02:41 #48397 by PhracturedBlue
If anyone wants to play with it, here is an emu build for the AT9:
www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/catego...s-at9-emulator-test1

It has roughly the same functionality as the button based build I posted in the 'Post 5.0' thread (i.e. there are lots of bugs, and it is quite easy to get stuck in a menu that you can't get out of)

But except for the fact that we have no protocol support, this is nearly ready to roll :)

I'll continue working on fixing the bugs in the new button code. It will take some time to work out all the issues, after which it'll be time to tackle an SPI mod so we can actually use this Tx with Deviation.
Last edit: 14 May 2016 02:41 by PhracturedBlue.

More
14 May 2016 21:09 #48452 by anasm2010
Replied by anasm2010 on topic Radiolink AT9 as a platform for Deviation?
Thank you for your work.
For the trainer port, There is a problem with the ppm signal that is negative, so we need to find a solution to inverse it. And yes I'm using the Gobish on the RC group work to do that. I hope we will find a solution.
PhracturedBlue, I think that for the TX It's better to use the PPM outout signal to control other module with the use of deviation?!

More
14 May 2016 22:13 #48461 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Radiolink AT9 as a platform for Deviation?
awesome! i can't wait to see where this goes once the module and ui issues are worked out, as this is a nice looking tx at a reasonable cost

More
14 May 2016 22:26 #48464 by PhracturedBlue
I do not plan to use PPM-out to control the module. We will have our own board that works with SPI to drive the 4:1.
Of course, Deviation supports PPM, so of course it could be used, I just don't plan to do it that way myself.

More
14 May 2016 22:31 #48465 by victzh
So I can use the branch AT9 to build a version for real one? I ordered discrete logic version of add-on board, it should come around 22nd.

More
14 May 2016 22:40 #48466 by anasm2010
Replied by anasm2010 on topic Radiolink AT9 as a platform for Deviation?
PhracturedBlue, Ok ok :cheer:
Hope the AT9 will be soon deviated. For me it's the best price / quality radio ...

More
14 May 2016 23:49 #48470 by PhracturedBlue

victzh wrote: So I can use the branch AT9 to build a version for real one? I ordered discrete logic version of add-on board, it should come around 22nd.

You can, but I wouldn't quite yet. I am still working on fixing up the button handling further. It is mostly functional, but it is still possible to get stuck on a few pages.

Also, I haven't setup a way to install the filesystem yet in the builds. it needs to be compiled into a dfu and then installed, so it REALLY won't help you as it is today until I add that part.

I'll try to get things mostly tidied up over the weekend.

More
17 May 2016 06:01 #48571 by victzh
I added building devofs and packing it into DFU and got it working on my AT9.
In target/at9/Makefile.inc for $(TARGET).dfu
$(TARGET).dfu: $(TARGET).bin
$(SDIR)/target/common/devo/devofs/buildfs.py -c -i -f $(ODIR)/$(TARGET)-lib.bin -d filesystem/at9 -s 100
$(SDIR)/../utils/dfu.py --name "$(HGVERSION) Firmware" $(DFU_ARGS):$< $(DFU_LIB_ARGS):$(ODIR)/$(TARGET)-lib.bin $@
$(SDIR)/../utils/get_mem_usage.pl $(TARGET).map

and DFU_LIB_ARGS := -b 0x08040000

I did not understand how the rotary works for AT9 - only ENT, EXT and rotary's pushbutton work for me.

More
17 May 2016 07:50 #48575 by dc59
Radio Link will soon release new AT9S .
bbs.5imx.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&ti...07482&extra=page%3D1

no further information at this moment , maybe they just change color :oops:

More
17 May 2016 13:07 #48591 by PhracturedBlue
I have checked in working (mostly) code now.
The devofs module is currently hardcoded to only support 64k filesystems. I will need to fix it, but for now, I just reduced the size of the fs (do a make distclean 1st)
I also had the dial set for left/right instead of up/down. It will work properly now (more or less, there is more work needed on the button handler, it doesn't detect scrolling very reliably)
I create 2 dfu file at9.dfu and at9-fs.dfu that way you can replace the firmware without rewriting the FS.

And writing to the FS is still disabled.

the emu_at9 does work, and is a good way to figure out what works and what doesn't (for instance, there is no way to access the list-boxes yet or the main-page config).

To use a text-select box, you must scroll to it, then press ENT, then you can scroll within it. It works pretty well.

But it is getting close to functional now.

More
18 May 2016 01:46 #48616 by victzh
It builds and works much better than yesterday, thanks a lot!

The encoder is a bit unstable, sometimes Up or Down button which it translates to stick in pressed position.
Some channels are mixed up, but I think you know about it.

Even USB drive works, but in a bit strange mode. If you turn on the TX and plug it in without enabling USB drive the computer does not recognize it because it fails to provide device descriptors. If you first turn on USB drive then everything is OK. But if you turn off the drive it is not removed from computer listed drives.

Otherwise it is really very close to functional.

More
18 May 2016 05:21 #48626 by PhracturedBlue
I found a rather large issue that will take some time to resolve. The devofs filesystem I wrote only supports having a single file open at a time, but the font code requires that we have at least 2 (one is dedicated to the font) one for general-purpose I/O. If we enabled datalog, that would require 3 (with 2 of them being in write mode).

I have 2 options for the fonts: either enhance the devofs code to keep track of multiple pointers, or separate the fs like on the Devo10 such that the media dir is kept in a separate address space. I need to give it more thought. On the positive side, I found several bugs in the devofs code today, and having fixed those, it should help the f12e/f7/f4 stability.

I'm surprised the usb drive works. it really shouldn't yet. I don't think it can break anything, but I don't recommend using it until write support has been added.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds