Development post 5.0

More
09 May 2016 13:22 - 09 May 2016 13:23 #48112 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Development post 5.0

Can you provide a means to get the current TXID, PB?

I'm not really keen on exposing it to be honest. We provided the txid so you can do what you want at a one-time cost. It turns out that having the mcu serial number wouldn't help you anyway since we don't use txid directly, and instead run it through the lsr to generate sufficient digits. changing how this works would break everyone using txid already.
Last edit: 09 May 2016 13:23 by PhracturedBlue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2016 04:17 #48327 by PhracturedBlue
I have uploaded a set of test-builds that use the new menuing system.
www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/catego...ghtlybuilds-new-menu

The menu is exceptionally ugly, and I haven't decided what to do about that yet. I tried using a selectable text (like on the devo10) but besides that not actually being properly supported on the devo8, it was nearly as ugly as what I have now. Regardless, I don't expect the buttons to stay as they are now. But I would like feedback on functionality (and any ideas anyone may have to make it look better). this is a huge change and is likely still quite buggy. If I don't get any feedback, I'll likely just dump it in the nighties, and deal with the complaints afterward :)

More
13 May 2016 17:02 #48359 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Development post 5.0
Don't push it yet.
I already see some issues, will take a deeper look later...

More
13 May 2016 19:19 #48371 by FDR
First thing: there is some trouble with the scrollable pages in the emu_devo8.

To be honest I never use the buttons on my devo8, so I didn't even know how they do work at the moment, so I had to look at that too.
You can step through the controls with the up/down buttons, but only on the ones are on one page even if the page is scrollable and has a lot more controls.
When you long press down, the page starts scrolling, but it does that too fast, so you find yourself at the end of the page in a blink, and the same is true upwards. It is tricky to position the scrolling somewhere in the middle.
Furthermore the pages are not consistent: for example the trim setup and the datalog page scroll normally, i.e. you can scroll through all the controls with the up/down buttons.

And here is the problem with the new menu system (aside being ugly ;) ): you can't scroll through the scrollable forms at all, except again on the trim and datalog page, which work as intended.

Second: I don't really like, that clicking on the model icon leads to the model setup page. I see, that this is the first thing to setup right, but it only needs to be configured once, while the mixers do need a lot of tweakening.

I don't like either, that I need to press the exit a lot of time to get to the main screen from the model pages. A long press (touch) on the exit button would help. Actually if you are in a mixer, the EXT button doesn't even work. You need to step to the cancel button and press ENT.

More
13 May 2016 20:21 #48373 by FDR
I think it would be better if the model icon would go into the model menu, and the wrench would lead into the transmitter menu.
The wrench could point to the main menu if there is no ison on the main page, and the button menu would start with the main menu too.
The only thing that is wrong is the USB item in the main menu, which wouldn't be accessible this way with the touch screen. Could it be moved into the transmitter menu?

More
14 May 2016 10:23 - 14 May 2016 11:29 #48405 by goebish
Replied by goebish on topic Development post 5.0
Sorry, I'm not sure this is the proper place to ask and probably it has already been answered somewhere else but I've been out of the loop for a few weeks :P
Just one question, is it OK to make pull requests for stuffs that don't fit in the 7e flash now ?

edit: wow, not sure what has been size optimized in the current trunk but looks like my code fits in the 7e now !
My question is still valid though ;)
Last edit: 14 May 2016 11:29 by goebish.

More
14 May 2016 11:51 #48411 by PhracturedBlue
It depends. In general, it is fine, but for protocols, I'm likely to hold the line and require protocols to fit in 4k.

More
14 May 2016 11:53 #48412 by goebish
Replied by goebish on topic Development post 5.0
The problem was that I had to add some code to nrf24l01.c for xn297 unscrambled mode, and that didn't fit, but looks like everything is fine now, I just made a pull request :)
github.com/DeviationTX/deviation/pull/8

More
14 May 2016 16:30 #48441 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic Development post 5.0
Hi PhracturedBlue, could you tell me which branch this code is on? I'd like to build it for devo7e-256 to test. Thanks!

More
14 May 2016 17:11 #48443 by PhracturedBlue
the 'button_handling' branch has the updates. There has been a huge amount of change, and while it should all be behind the scenes on the devo7e/10, the code still needs to be tested.

None of the scrollbars on the devo8 are working properly. That is basically because we never converted the devo8/12 screen to use the 'Scrollable' widget. I'll need to start on that now. It is a massive rewrite of most of the devo8/12 pages, and will take some time to complete.

More
16 May 2016 03:04 #48516 by PhracturedBlue
I have resolved pretty much all of the issues with the button control code. All changes are merged into the at9 branch (the button_handling branch is now defunct). I will likely be merging the at9 code into master this week, so the new menu stuff is coming to the devo8/12 very soon. It is still atrociously ugly (actually it looks better on the at9 due to the simpler buttons), but fixing that will likely wait until after the code is merged. FDR, I did not make the changes you suggested with regards to having buttons go to different menus (well the modelico now goes directly to the mixer). It would be very easy to make the changes you suggested (the menu handling code is now much more robust and I've removed almost all of the hard-coded connections between pages)

More
16 May 2016 03:10 #48517 by PhracturedBlue
Also, I've done a major rewrite of the 'Scrollable' widget. Hopefully I've squashed all the bugs, but the code is complicated, and I'm not convinced. The old code was very complicated and had special branches for all sorts of corner cases. I think the rewrite will handle all of those with a much simpler design. These changes are already in master, so they'll be available in tonight's nightlies

More
16 May 2016 11:48 - 16 May 2016 11:50 #48523 by HonnebombelDE
Replied by HonnebombelDE on topic Development post 5.0
I am currently working on a concept design for deviation. The design concept is based on googles material design rules which are very intuitive and clean.
Here you can taste the GUI i made.
Designpreview
Also i don't know how complicated this will be to code. But hey it will definitly inspire some of you.
Last edit: 16 May 2016 11:50 by HonnebombelDE.

More
16 May 2016 16:45 #48534 by PhracturedBlue
Thanks, while it looks very pretty, I'll note that this would be a massive undertaking to redesign the menus as you have them. Our GUI framework is just not capable of generating anything like that.

More
16 May 2016 19:19 #48539 by FDR

PhracturedBlue wrote: I have resolved pretty much all of the issues with the button control code. All changes are merged into the at9 branch (the button_handling branch is now defunct).

Have you upgraded the test build, or should I build from your branch?
I still wasn't able to compile from my own GIT on my Windows, but probably I just wasn't trying hard enough... ;)

PhracturedBlue wrote: FDR, I did not make the changes you suggested with regards to having buttons go to different menus (well the modelico now goes directly to the mixer). It would be very easy to make the changes you suggested (the menu handling code is now much more robust and I've removed almost all of the hard-coded connections between pages)

At least do you agree on them?
I don't want to push or hurry you, I just expressed my opinion, and haven't got any feedback on it. Other's milage may vary on that matter...

More
16 May 2016 19:33 #48542 by PhracturedBlue
No I don't agree (nor do I disagree) to them. I want more usage feedback about the right way to do it. Note that at least the TX Setup page is not usable with the buttons yet. I will not push the change until I've at least done some testing on every page.
I don't think I'm going to upgrade the test build, as I don't think I'll get too much feedback, and I'm changing things too rapidly. It looks like you have the docker working, so you should be able to build yourself without issue now :)

More
16 May 2016 20:15 - 16 May 2016 20:16 #48546 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Development post 5.0
so as you aren't pushing the changes into the nightly the at9 branch is the one to pull from to test the changes yeah?
Last edit: 16 May 2016 20:16 by HappyHarry.

More
16 May 2016 20:27 #48548 by PhracturedBlue
yes. the at9 branch is where I'm working

More
16 May 2016 20:33 - 16 May 2016 20:33 #48550 by FDR
Can you give me a hint, how I need to do that on Windows?
I've created the docker with the in-built repo method:
docker create -it -v ~/devo_builds:/release --name deviation_build deviationtx/deviation-docker

...because I couldn't reference my GIT repository in this command:
docker create -it -v ~/devo_builds:/release -v <path to git>:/git --name deviation_build deviationtx/deviation-docker

My GIT root is E:\GIT\F-D-R\, but it doesn't accept it with the backslashes, neither with slashes, nor with double backslashes.
Should it be in my profile just like the devo_builds directory? I couldn't set that dir eoutside of my profile either...

Should I recreate the docker every time I want to compile an other repo?
Last edit: 16 May 2016 20:33 by FDR. Reason: typo

More
16 May 2016 20:36 #48551 by PhracturedBlue
i think you would use '/e/git/F-D-R:/git'
or you can not use '-v' and then use the 'Shell' and do:
cd /git/deviation
git checkout branch at9

But I recommend trying to get the volume mount to work.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds