Development post 5.0

More
16 May 2016 20:55 #48552 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Development post 5.0
Thanks, the
/e/GIT/...
thing did the trick, however it started cloning something when I started the docker.
It's still not clear for me, how should I compile from more repos, but I think I will recreate them to have different output dirs, and of course different names.
Would it be simpler to use the command line?

Can I configure GIT like I did with HG to automatically pull from the main deviation repo, and push into mine, or all I can do is making shortcut names for these repos, and use the names all the times?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2016 22:21 - 16 May 2016 22:24 #48557 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Development post 5.0
you can add remote repo's to track, like for me if i wanted to track your repo i would launch the container and drop to the shell, cd into the deviation directory and use
git remote add FDR https://github.com/F-D-R/deviation.git

then if i want to build from one of your branches called for instance fdr-branch
git checkout fdr/fdr-branch

then exit the shell, uncheck the update from git checkbox, select which images to build and build them. then if i wanted to go back to the original team branch i would use from the shell
git checkout origin/master

there's a basic git cheat sheet available here >> www.git-tower.com/blog/git-cheat-sheet/
Last edit: 16 May 2016 22:24 by HappyHarry.

More
17 May 2016 04:13 #48569 by FDR
Thanks Harry!

More
17 May 2016 06:27 #48572 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic Development post 5.0
I use DSM2/DSMX all the times with my models. I think I can test/modify the code to make it better. However, I need some advice on any threads to start with. I found dsmx is quite stable with telemetry disabled, so is it the problem of telemetry? Canbody canhelp me start?

More
17 May 2016 07:09 #48573 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Development post 5.0
Hi richard, I would suggest check here;
www.deviationtx.com/forum/builds/5822-ex...ls-size-optimization

Myself I am not user of DSM X, but possibly Thomas Heiss always have a lot of feedback.

More
17 May 2016 20:16 #48605 by FDR
I really feel dumb now. :oops:
I still can't build what I want.
I couldn't make it build outside of my profile. It accepted that directory when I created the container, but the directory was empty after the compilation.
Then I recreated the container with an output directory in my profile, but building the emu_devo8 resulted in an incomplete filesystem, and it wasn't made of the branch I wanted.

Can somebody write a step by step instruction about how to create the appropriate container, pull a specific branch, and compile it.
Sorry for being so problematic, I just trying to test the new menu, but I'm just unable to build it...

More
17 May 2016 21:58 - 17 May 2016 22:17 #48612 by HappyHarry
ok to make a container with a local branch on windows i first made a folder C:/Users/phil/git to store the local git copy and also C:/Users/phil/devodock-local to store the built files, the start git cmd, and do
//it started in C:/Users/phil so keep that in mind
cd git
git clone https://github.com/DeviationTX/deviation.git
exit

i then i started the docker terminal and used this command to create the container that would use the local folders
docker run -it -v /c/Users/phil/git:/git -v /c/Users/phil/devodock-local:/release --name deviation_build_local deviationtx/deviation-docker

the first -v will mount that folder under /git inside the container, and the second -v will mount the devodock-local folder under /release in the container, the --name is the name of the container.

so to start this container i then use
docker start -i deviation_build_local

the first run will pull in everything required to build, i suggest doing a complete build run to make sure everything is working. once that has completed start the container again and drop to the shell, once in the shell
$ cd /git/deviation
$ git checkout origin/at9
$ exit

this pulls the code from the at9 branch where pb is working atm and merges it with the local code, then exit's back into the menu, once there be sure to uncheck the update git checkbox, then choose which images you want to build, then click build.

is this what your after?
Last edit: 17 May 2016 22:17 by HappyHarry.

More
18 May 2016 04:30 - 18 May 2016 08:17 #48625 by FDR
Aye! ;)
But this is almost exactly what I did, but I still not succeeded.
The only difference that I had both directories (git and output) outside of my profile, but I wil try this way and report back.
Thanks Harry!
Last edit: 18 May 2016 08:17 by FDR. Reason: typo

More
18 May 2016 08:30 #48630 by HappyHarry
I'm not sure if having the folders outwith the user profile will cause issues, as long as the user has r/w access it should be fine?

when cloning the repo at the begining did you clone your own branch or the team repo? also when checking out the at9 branch did it complete successfully? it would inform you that the head is now detached and is at commit 969e9d5 (as of just now) etc?

More
20 May 2016 20:25 #48895 by FDR
I've got an hour machine time from my wife ;) , so I made an other attempt, and this time it succeeded.
I put both the git and the output directory under my profile, and probably helped too, that I used a separate bash window for the git operation, so I didn't need to leave the default directory in the docker terminal.

However I got some interesting warnings during the builds, like this:
  adding: filesystem/devo8/template/6ch_heli.ini (deflated 69%)
  adding: filesystem/devo8/template/heli_std.ini (deflated 76%)
  adding: filesystem/devo8/tx.ini (deflated 44%)
make[1]: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.
Is that normal?

Now I will continue testing the menu rebuild...

Thank again Harry for the guidelines!

More
20 May 2016 20:51 #48898 by FDR
I started to collect my findings about the new menu system and other GUI reworks in this thread:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...-the-new-menu-system

More
04 Oct 2016 20:40 #54604 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Development post 5.0

richardclli wrote: I use DSM2/DSMX all the times with my models. I think I can test/modify the code to make it better. However, I need some advice on any threads to start with. I found dsmx is quite stable with telemetry disabled, so is it the problem of telemetry? Can anybody help me start?

The latest DSMx test build threads:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...rrors?start=20#54584
www.deviationtx.com/forum/builds/6407-de...s?limitstart=0#54569

Maybe on our TODO list should be helping to test more DSMx + telemetry and this OrangeRX scenario described by Roland and track those many questions I had to ask about background informations in thread "DSM telemetry 5.0.0 release crash": www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...5-0-0-tx-crash#52770

My successful usage of DSMx with telemetry on V4.0.1-nightly-build fcd0669 (id from BitBucket repository) + release 5.0.0:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...port?start=340#33913
www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...port?start=340#34226
www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...port?start=400#54108
www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...port?start=400#45377

Sorry, I really can't follow you guys with all those problem related threads as I simply had no problems with DSMx + telemetry so far with genuine Spektrum receivers + TM1000 besides some random bogus FlightLog data / jumping numbers (out of range).

More
04 Oct 2016 20:42 - 04 Oct 2016 20:44 #54605 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Development post 5.0
Found another older posting from Indigo describing what we were working on for DSMx FlightLog / telemetry data: www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...tions?start=40#28156

Maybe some of those telemetry monitor descriptions from 2015 by Indigo could be copied over to Wiki for release 5.0.0 feature explanation (if missing some parts)?
Last edit: 04 Oct 2016 20:44 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
04 Oct 2016 20:57 #54609 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Development post 5.0
I don't have any telemetry hardware for DSMx, unfortunately.

More
07 May 2018 11:48 #69095 by Donthemon
Replied by Donthemon on topic Development post 5.0
Hi - I am pulling my hair out in handfuls moving from a Graupner MC24 transmitter to a Devo 7e. It's not that the Devo does mixes etc I can't do on the MC24 but its because the Devo 7 gives me access to multi 2.4GHz modes and the TX is so beautifully small.

HOWEVER, the programming interface and paradigm of Deviation is a nightmare (sorry!). The MC24's interface abstracts the user from the complexities underneath to make any setups a breeze e.g you want to set up a Delta or flying wing? Easy: Select 'Delta/Flying wing' model type then go to the servo assignment screen and everything you need to do is there on a single, single page screen - assignments, travel adjust, reverse etc.

It would be really nice if Deviation had something similar that didn't involve going through multiple functions, multiple pages and other adjustments to do quite simple things (the worst are multiple adjustments, all of which then affect each other as well). I can see that you'd have to start small but doing something quite simple e.g Delta, V-tail, 4 servo glider wing could be an option you select, after which you go to a servo/channel assignment page to set the movements of the required servos.

The Devo 7e screen is not touch but you don't need that, just the definition, which this screen appears to have in abundance.

A straw poll of my flying buddies is that NO ONE except drone pilots (who need all of the weird and wonderful mixing capabilities) uses these open-sourcy TXs e.g Deviation, Turnigy DXR as they find it impossible to set anything up ( I ditched my DXR as it was either that or my sanity!). This is a REAL shame as Deviation's capabilities are mind bending BUT they have to be made more accessible or only a small number of the chosen few will ever use them.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds