7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1

More
05 Jan 2017 16:22 - 05 Jan 2017 16:23 #57554 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
i'm glad to hear of another successful 7e 4in1 modification and that chip quick makes the task a bit easier :)

as it's a new year i just want to say that i feel i owe a great deal to all the people who have contributed to deviationtx firmware, also those that have hacked previous protocols and those who continue to hack new emerging protocols as well as those who help them with captures and testing, and also the person/people who made the 4in1 readily available. as with all the various transmitters that are now 4in1 and multiprotocol capable in a compact single antenna package due to their work we have at long last again came to a point where 1 transmitter can really fly/drive/sail most everything, and with those transmitters that run on deviation there is an option for everyones taste/budget, though i know what my choice is, and you'll only part me from my u7e's if i leave the hobby or from my cold dead fingers lol

so to all involved in making this hobby better many thanks 8)

also happy new year to everyone :)
Last edit: 05 Jan 2017 16:23 by HappyHarry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2017 21:45 #57564 by cmpang
Replied by cmpang on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
happy new year to hh and all too.

cmPang

More
05 Jan 2017 22:11 - 05 Jan 2017 22:24 #57565 by StuartAmbient
Replied by StuartAmbient on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Curious if anyone has done a video for removing module?

I've watched some YT videos though of mcu removals using the chip quik kit. Guess that is the same.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2017 22:24 by StuartAmbient.

More
06 Jan 2017 13:47 #57591 by timps
I didn't use ChipQuik but some regular solder (don't know the details). My steps were:

- Soldering Iron with medium size tip, 380C.
- Heat up ground contacts (2 top, 1 bottom), mix with regular solder, use solder sucker/wick to remove some, repeat ...
- Gently start to lift module @ red circle and heat up top ground contacts (I was not able to fully remove the solder)
- Once there was about 1mm space, de-solder top
- Heat up bottom contacts (simply move left <-> right) and slowly lift module
- Remove more solder if necessary
- Pull module to back/up while constantly heating bottom contacts

Most importantly: be patient ;)

Attachments:

More
06 Jan 2017 20:27 #57599 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
This way everything depends on how much solder is there when you lift the module under such large an angle. If you wicked it well before you can get away with it. If not - almost sure way to lift a pad or two. Chip Quik works reliably, one $15 pack is enough to unsolder dozens of modules (you need 2-3mm piece of it on every large blob, maybe less). The trick is to remove as much of it as possible after unsoldering - it lowers melting temperature of the solder you going to apply, so to have reliable connection you better clean it up.

If you live in a country with limited availability of low temp alloys, then use led-based solder to dilute the original led-free as @timps did.

More
16 Jan 2017 13:14 - 16 Jan 2017 13:15 #58026 by eirikso
Replied by eirikso on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
I have tried to find one clear answer to this here and on RC Groups, but have either missed it or gotten confused by conflicting answers:

I have just installed a new CYRF6936 module in my Devo 7e to get full range. After some trouble with a bad U.fl connector I am up and running and it seems to work well.

But: do I need to replace the power regulator to adjust for the increase in current draw?

I am about to order another 7e to do the 4in1 mod as well. And obviously will have the same question there. From what I have found so far it is kind of "the original regulator will hold up, but it is better to replace it".

And, if so: any good guides on how to replace it?
Last edit: 16 Jan 2017 13:15 by eirikso.

More
16 Jan 2017 13:43 #58027 by HappyHarry
replacing the stock module with the 's' module, or fitting the 4in1 doesn't require any extra vreg as they don't use the onboard 3.3v vreg but instead use battery voltage. but if you are using extra separate modules that do use the onboard 3.3v then i'd suggest adding an extra 3.3v source

More
16 Jan 2017 14:18 #58031 by eirikso
Replied by eirikso on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
I have this in there as well: NRF24L01 ( www.banggood.com/DEVO-Transmitter-Tuner-...12.html?rmmds=search )

But it is tempting to throw both that one and the "S"-module out in favour of this 4in1 module... :-)

More
16 Jan 2017 15:22 #58034 by HappyHarry
imo the 4in1 is the best option for several reasons, the fact it doesn't use the on board vreg, that you only need one antenna and that antenna is positionable, and of course being able to use all protocols in deviation among them. though keep in mind using separate modules with an extra vreg will work well and avoids the power supply issues that can affect some 7e's.

More
16 Jan 2017 15:42 #58037 by StuartAmbient
Replied by StuartAmbient on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
I have two modules on the way, nrf and cc2500. Anyway, first time I am reading about a vreg issue though I didn't read entirely through the rcg thread. Is there somewhere in particular to read up on the issue and if it is something of concern what would I need to add an additional 3.3. source? Thanks!

More
16 Jan 2017 16:01 #58038 by Phoenixx
Replied by Phoenixx on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Sorry if this is a daft question but doesn't the Vin come from the same pin that the original module was soldered to? so wouldn't this be regulated and not direct from the battery?

More
16 Jan 2017 16:36 #58046 by Lobojpm
Replied by Lobojpm on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Hi Everyone! I have a brand new Devo 7e and the 4-in-1 module from Banggood. I'm excited to get this installed (and a little nervous).

After reading through this very helpful thread, I think I can map out the solder spots to get this installed.

I have two questions:

1) Do I still need to solder anything to the mcu? I looks like more recent installs just used the larger solder pads down at the bottom below the original RF module.

2) Do I have to remove the existing RF Module? I know that the 4-in-1 covers that same protocol (at full strength!) so the original is not needed. But can I just leave the original in and solder the 4-in-1 in as well? Just wondering if I can avoid the tedious/dangerous step of removing the original module.

Thanks for any info you guys can send...!

More
16 Jan 2017 18:51 #58052 by CesiumSalami
Replied by CesiumSalami on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
I'm not an expert, but:

I believe, yes, you need to remove the original module (as you can't turn it off).

On the MCU - I think you'll need to solder to the MCU on 7e IF you want to use all 4 modules. I bought the 4-in-1 for my Devo7e and only need 3 modules - so I just didn't wire that up and therefore didn't need to solder to the MCU.

More
17 Jan 2017 02:38 - 17 Jan 2017 02:46 #58067 by HappyHarry

StuartAmbient wrote: I have two modules on the way, nrf and cc2500. Anyway, first time I am reading about a vreg issue though I didn't read entirely through the rcg thread. Is there somewhere in particular to read up on the issue and if it is something of concern what would I need to add an additional 3.3. source? Thanks!

this thread is really for the 4in1 bud and it doesn't have this issue, but in a nutshell the 3.3vreg that's used for extra modules and the 3in1 isn't rated high enough for that current demand, while some get away without issue (one of my u7e's has 3 extra separate modules with no isues so far), some get away with it for a while (running the vreg over spec eventually degrades it) having it fail eventually, and some have issues right away, and this even depends on the rf chip and protocol used, with the e010 protocol being one of the main ones to cause problems due to the current required for it. the easiest solution is to add an extra vreg for just the modules/3in1, see this post here for details >> www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...dule?start=780#52623

Phoenixx wrote: Sorry if this is a daft question but doesn't the Vin come from the same pin that the original module was soldered to? so wouldn't this be regulated and not direct from the battery?

yes bud the 4in1 uses the same Vin as the stock rf module, but this is battery voltage (well it goes through a diode before going to the module so it's Vbatt -~0.7V, if you look at my install pics at the start of the thread you'll see the diode is where I sourced my +V) as the stock rf module, like the 4in1, has it's own ldo vreg onboard, where as the usual voltage points used when adding modules (the mcu's jtag/swd header) are 3.3v and use the mcu's vreg as a supply, as that vreg is only rated for 100ma, along with the silicon lottery, is what causes people to have these power supply issues.

Lobojpm wrote: Hi Everyone! I have a brand new Devo 7e and the 4-in-1 module from Banggood. I'm excited to get this installed (and a little nervous).

After reading through this very helpful thread, I think I can map out the solder spots to get this installed.

I have two questions:

1) Do I still need to solder anything to the mcu? I looks like more recent installs just used the larger solder pads down at the bottom below the original RF module.

2) Do I have to remove the existing RF Module? I know that the 4-in-1 covers that same protocol (at full strength!) so the original is not needed. But can I just leave the original in and solder the 4-in-1 in as well? Just wondering if I can avoid the tedious/dangerous step of removing the original module.

Thanks for any info you guys can send...!

as CS said you only need to solder to the mcu if you want to use all 4 rf chips on the 4in1, and yes it's better to remove the stock rf module as there's no easy way to disconnect the stock module connections otherwise, and they must be for the 4in1 to operate correctly and safely.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2017 02:46 by HappyHarry.

More
18 Jan 2017 04:32 #58107 by Lobojpm
Replied by Lobojpm on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Hey guys! I wanted to say a big THANKS to all who have contributed to this thread.

Chalk up one more Devo 7e with the 4in1 Module success. This thread was my instruction guide.

Removing the original module was tough and took some time and patience, but eventually I got it.

I even was brave and soldered in that spot on the mcu for the 4th rf chip. I don't know how well it's going to hold but it looks ok for now and I added some hot glue so hopefully it will be ok. I tested 2 of the other rf chips and they are working. :)

Here's a pic... I did add some heat shrink around the 4-in-1 after this pic was taken to avoid shorts with other components.

I'm sure it's not the most elegant, but it looks like it's working so far... a Devo 7e with those 4 rf's in it and Deviation firmware is about the best transmitter out there right now IMO. Compact size, nice smooth gimbals, and flys so many things with all the support on here.

Thanks again all.
Attachments:

More
25 Jan 2017 12:57 #58372 by Gerhard_H
Replied by Gerhard_H on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Hi,

I got another 7e and the 4in1 module today.
Wiring seems clear to me so far besides the mcu solder point - point 13 referring to HappyHarry's post #49789.
Looking at the mcu, the solder point ist positioned at the lower end of the right column, but I'm unsure :
Is it the lowest (1st) or the 2nd point (from below) where the brown wire ist soldered on.

TIA
Gerhard

More
25 Jan 2017 14:47 #58375 by HappyHarry
hi gerhard, it's the second from bottom pin, pin50 :)

More
25 Jan 2017 15:11 #58376 by Gerhard_H
THX, exactly what I wanted to know . . . :)))

More
25 Jan 2017 20:05 #58386 by Gerhard_H
Hi!
Installed (wired) the module according to www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/5955-7e...1?limitstart=0#49788
After installation of latest firmware and adapting hardware.ini I got a message saying

Protocol Mismatch
0801f458
0801ef44
OK

Checking the wiring I found 2 solder points I am not sure about:
11 - black wire
12 - red wire
Where does these wires come from ?

Since the message appears no matter which protocol is selected I assume that the module lacks current . . .

Any ideas ?

TIA
Gerhard

More
25 Jan 2017 21:48 - 25 Jan 2017 21:55 #58390 by HappyHarry
you need to copy accross onto the tx's usb drive the protocols folder of the version of deviation you just installed bud, with the normal 7e (non ultimate) the protocol folder must match the firmware version as tge protocols are compiled as modules

11 and 12 are live and neutral, but that's only for the 3in1 as it uses 3.3v, the 4in1 pulls it's power from pins 6 and 7 of the original rf module pins. the pics in this post here >> www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/5955-7e...-4in1?start=20#50816 are the 4in1 wiring guide
Last edit: 25 Jan 2017 21:55 by HappyHarry.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds