V202 protocol

More
06 May 2013 18:34 #9624 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic V202 protocol
There will be proper documentation in the next release (I expect), but basically it's the same as CC2500 module (which is described in deviationtx.com/repository/Documentation...uleInstallation.pdf/ ) - you need to know the layout, wire SPI to usual places (SCK, MISO, and MOSI), wire CSN to TCK (if you install it as second module in addition to A7105).

Only one pin is different from CC2500 - CE. It should be wired to VCC (or Vdd as it is described in the above documentation).

Then you need Deviation build with V202 in it, and model.ini file to use it. I suspect that nightly build already has V202 in it, if not - I can send you a custom build, just tell me what Devo do you have. Also later today I will attach my model.ini which I use for my V202.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2013 14:01 #9670 by kingiggy
Replied by kingiggy on topic V202 protocol
Ok great thanks for the info! I am using a Devo 7e. I'll solder up the module and give everything a try.

More
08 May 2013 00:20 - 08 May 2013 00:23 #9683 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic V202 protocol

victzh wrote: There will be proper documentation in the next release (I expect), but basically it's the same as CC2500 module (which is described in deviationtx.com/repository/Documentation...uleInstallation.pdf/ ) - you need to know the layout, wire SPI to usual places (SCK, MISO, and MOSI), wire CSN to TCK (if you install it as second module in addition to A7105).

Only one pin is different from CC2500 - CE. It should be wired to VCC (or Vdd as it is described in the above documentation).

Then you need Deviation build with V202 in it, and model.ini file to use it. I suspect that nightly build already has V202 in it, if not - I can send you a custom build, just tell me what Devo do you have. Also later today I will attach my model.ini which I use for my V202.

Hi victzh,

Great job!! :woohoo:

Did you get your V922 board?
Will V922 protocol on your todo list after V202 protocol?

Thanks!
Last edit: 08 May 2013 00:23 by dc59.

More
08 May 2013 02:32 #9685 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic V202 protocol
The V922 is much harder because the spi interface is not exposed due to the use of the 'e' variant of the NRF24L01. The best chance for this protocol will be my SDR, but I haven't spent the time to write a protocol analyzer for this chip yet.

More
08 May 2013 03:11 #9689 by dc59

PhracturedBlue wrote: The V922 is much harder because the spi interface is not exposed due to the use of the 'e' variant of the NRF24L01. The best chance for this protocol will be my SDR, but I haven't spent the time to write a protocol analyzer for this chip yet.

Thanks, PB.

More
08 May 2013 04:12 #9693 by victzh
Yea, I came to the same conclusion, and as I don't have 2.4GHz SDR, I did not bother ordering it.

But, I ordered Q-BOT, and chances are they use the same protocol - HiSky. And fortunately, they use plain old SPI-based nRF24L01, not 'E' one with MCU in it. The only problem is it has even less space between nRF24 and MCU on board and it will be insanely hard to solder to. Last time I spent total 4 hours trying to solder to V202 board, let's hope this time my skills improved.

But before it comes I'll have Esky hardware for which other people already made all the hard work. So, hopefully I just need to make it work on Deviation.

More
08 May 2013 07:36 #9702 by dc59

victzh wrote: Yea, I came to the same conclusion, and as I don't have 2.4GHz SDR, I did not bother ordering it.

But, I ordered Q-BOT, and chances are they use the same protocol - HiSky. And fortunately, they use plain old SPI-based nRF24L01, not 'E' one with MCU in it. The only problem is it has even less space between nRF24 and MCU on board and it will be insanely hard to solder to. Last time I spent total 4 hours trying to solder to V202 board, let's hope this time my skills improved.

But before it comes I'll have Esky hardware for which other people already made all the hard work. So, hopefully I just need to make it work on Deviation.

Got it!
Thanks victzh.
FBL100/V922 protocol seems not easy.......

More
13 May 2013 05:35 #9912 by Lupy
Replied by Lupy on topic V202 protocol
Question for anyone actually flying a v212 or v 202. Will the devo system allow for a faster rudder rate than stock tx? I like most things about it except that the turn rate is painfully slow even. At 100% mode

More
13 May 2013 14:06 #9922 by victzh
I'm afraid right now it's probably only me ;-) I have V202, V212 is coming by sloooow boat from China. Yes, it has very slow yaw rate to my taste. It allows you to fly in pretty tight circles, but doesn't allow to do reasonably effective pirouettes. Devo does not change much - I use 100% yaw rate and it is still slow. I planned to do a trick to make it turn slightly faster - the protocol has trims passed along the stick values, so you can play with adjusting trims to command it to turn faster. I still did not implement this, so it's yet to be seen how large its influence on the yaw rate.
On the other hand, I think that this limitation is for a reason - it enhances heli's stability. If you try to turn too fast with V939, you can see that it loses attitude - it starts to wobble a bit. May be they did not manage to fix their inertial correction system - they use an accelerometer in addition to gyro, and decided to fix the problem by limiting yaw rate to safe range.

More
13 May 2013 17:31 #9930 by Lupy
Replied by Lupy on topic V202 protocol
Promising.... I am resonable at soldering, but don't u dear stand the programming. Once one has the tx and the right module, how hard is it to get up and running?

More
13 May 2013 18:38 #9937 by victzh
For me it was a matter of couple hours (I mean the first extra module - A7105), but I am very accurate, I made a header for it so that it can be replaced. I think that it should take no more than an hour if you can solder and don't care about soldering it directly to the board. PhracturedBlue used wire-wrapping, which is older assembly technique - you need a tool for the reliable results. It is probably even faster.

The solder targets are pretty wide - one 2mm header and another 2.54mm header.

More
21 May 2013 10:31 #10189 by mono
Replied by mono on topic V202 protocol
victzh...
just want to say thank you for your work on this and for sharing by making it available to Deviation project. :)

More
21 May 2013 16:03 #10200 by victzh
Have you had a chance to try it? I'm very interested in results and feedback, as it seems that right now I'm the only person in the world flying V202/V212 with transmitter better than the crappy stock one.

More
21 May 2013 16:05 #10201 by victzh
And of course my own gratitude to people who made Deviation possible - PhracturedBlue and others, their effort and gift to society is very generous.

More
23 May 2013 06:55 #10249 by mono
Replied by mono on topic V202 protocol
Unfortunately, I don't yet have a quad with that protocol, only 9x9, Hubsan, Q-Bot, LB1 etc etc, but would like to get a 212/222 board in my next parts order to try in one of my various frames. Also need the rf module (minor technicality) which is already on the way.
When I get that organised, will be happy to give some feedback. There must be others out there using a nightly build for this protocol, maybe it's a case of no news is good news, 'cause if they had an issue I think you would see posts here asking for assistance.

More
23 May 2013 09:33 #10251 by dc59
I have a V202 on the way and will report result once I finish modification of tx,Thanks.

More
30 May 2013 03:22 - 30 May 2013 15:30 #10433 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic V202 protocol
My module arrived. And I realized I purchased the wrong one. I meant to purchase the same one victzh used. Instead, I purchased this one:
www.ebay.com/itm/310651702557?ssPageName...id=p3984.m1497.l2649

It'll work. Just more solder points in order to remove the coax connector. And I wanted the shield.

Now, to figure out how to wire this up. Off to research...but chime in if you have any links/photos/diagram handy. :)

Ok, I see victzh's reply above. I think I got the pinout.

Last edit: 30 May 2013 15:30 by Daryoon.

More
30 May 2013 07:10 #10442 by victzh
I am not an expert in Devo 7E, so can't vouch for your coloring, but your module should have one more important wire - CE, which should be connected to Vcc. Otherwise the module's radio would not work. Judging by the module I have it is the one between 1.GND and 5.SCK - that is 3.CE.

Please, tell us whether it worked or not. You're probably the first after myself is trying to use this code.

More
30 May 2013 15:23 - 30 May 2013 15:31 #10446 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic V202 protocol
Thanks victzh. Yes, pin#3 is CE. Here's the schematic.

Would I still need pin#2 connected? Couldn't I just bridge pins 2 & 3, and then connect to the VDD point on the Devo7e motherboard?

Last edit: 30 May 2013 15:31 by Daryoon.

More
30 May 2013 16:36 #10447 by victzh
Yes, you need both 2.Vcc (which is, as follows from the name, power pin) and 3.CE (it is probable Chip Enable, specifics of nRF24L01) connected to Vdd point on Devo7E. You can bridge them and connect one of them, though from general electronic point of view I would connect 2.Vcc directly to Vdd point. It probably does not matter with frequencies traveling over this connection, but is just a good practice.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds