Dromida Ominus protocol?

More
21 Dec 2014 18:52 - 21 Dec 2014 19:14 #27126 by voyn
Dromida Ominus protocol? was created by voyn
Has anyone looked into the protocol for the Dromida Ominus? The manual says the following:

The Ominus has a receiver that is compatible with other SLT transmitters like the Tactic™ TTX650. Not all functions like the ability to turn off the accelerometers are available, but if the feel of a traditional transmitter is preferred, this is certainly an option.

TTX650 Setup
Model Type: Heli with H1 swashplate
Servo Reversing: All Channels Normal
Servo Travel: 125%/125% Ch. 1-3, 100%/100% Ch. 4-6
Dual Rates: 50%/125% Aileron & Elevator
Expo: -20/+100 Aileron & Elevator
Throttle Curve: 0,18,45,73,100
Gyro: 25%/75%/125%

SLT COMPATIBILITY
• Use a trainer switch for the dual rate/expo settings.
• The high rates are used for flipping.
• The gyro settings are used to adjust control sensitivity.

That's great and all, but would be even better if all of the options were available. I've got an Ominus, and would be willing to pick up a logic analyzer and give it a shot if others are willing to coach me through what's necessary. The transmitter's RF module says "NE-TXOS220" and has a Si24R1 chip on it, which I think means it is, or is related to, a NRF24L01 module (which makes sense if it is SLT compatible).

Edit: There is a very strong possibility that this quad uses Nine Eagles protocols, but I have no way to know for sure - so some of this work may have all been done already and just needs to be adapted.

Any takers?
Last edit: 21 Dec 2014 19:14 by voyn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2015 16:13 #27417 by voyn
Replied by voyn on topic Dromida Ominus protocol?
Hmm, not a lot of interest, I guess :)

Just to clarify a little bit, I realize I can most likely fly my Ominus with the Devo since the Ominus is SLT compatible, but I'd really like the full range of options available like putting it into FMODE and also being able to fully disable the auto-leveling. You can fly it in full manual mode with the stock Tx, but it is a lot harder than it really should be due to its toy-like nature. I'd love to practice this more before trying to fly a "real" quad in full manual mode ($80 in the sky vs $800 in the sky). It would also be nice to be able to use the Devo to calibrate the onboard gyros, which I don't think can be done currently.

My NRF24L01 is supposed to show up today and I can't wait to get started, hehe.

More
03 Jan 2015 23:05 #27449 by voyn
Just going to put this here in case anyone else comes looking for info on the Ominus... The SLT compatibility info in the manual says all channels are normal, but in my case I found I had to reverse all four main channels: AIL, ELE, THR, and RUD. I also just figured out that you can turn manual mode on/off via channel 6 (100% = auto-leveling, -100% = manual mode) and I've got that tied to FMODE2 at the moment. I'm still trying to figure out the flip button, but it's really not critical just yet. As soon as I get a decently functional profile I'll upload it to the model section.

More
04 Jan 2015 09:51 #27455 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Dromida Ominus protocol?
Do you fly it with a DEVO + nRF2401 module + SLT protocol or with a separate PPM SLT module?

More
04 Jan 2015 10:01 #27456 by voyn
Up until today I've been flying it with the stock Tx. Now I'm flying it with a Devo 8S and NRF24L01 and the SLT protocol.

More
04 Jan 2015 10:04 #27457 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Dromida Ominus protocol?
Thanks! So it is indeed compatible with deviation's SLT protocol implementation.

More
04 Jan 2015 18:21 - 04 Jan 2015 18:21 #27484 by voyn
It's at least 95% compatible. The only things I can't get it to do yet are auto-flips and gyro calibration. Flips aren't a deal breaker 'cuz I can do my own (although not at nice and tight), but the gyro calibration ability would be really great. Can't be done currently because the procedure requires pressing down/in on the left and right sticks, which are additional switches on the stock Tx (like an Xbox controller). Perhaps it's in the SLT protocol somewhere, but I just haven't figured it out yet. I've seen people talking on youtube videos about getting flips working with an SLT controller, but I'm not sure how it's implemented just yet.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2015 18:21 by voyn.

More
13 Jan 2015 18:39 #27658 by skyjet
Replied by skyjet on topic Dromida Ominus protocol?

voyn wrote: Just going to put this here in case anyone else comes looking for info on the Ominus... The SLT compatibility info in the manual says all channels are normal, but in my case I found I had to reverse all four main channels: AIL, ELE, THR, and RUD. I also just figured out that you can turn manual mode on/off via channel 6 (100% = auto-leveling, -100% = manual mode) and I've got that tied to FMODE2 at the moment. I'm still trying to figure out the flip button, but it's really not critical just yet. As soon as I get a decently functional profile I'll upload it to the model section.

I had my Ominis and an indoor event last night and I thought " gee, I wonder If this thing is SLT and will bind to my hacked Devo 10" So I proceeded to bind it to my Devo 10 and nothing happened. I wiggled the sticks around and the thing just took off strait to the ceiling. LOL! It was stuck on the ceiling with the throttle all the way down. I pushed the throttle slowly up and it came back down to the ground. I quickly learned I too had to reverse all of the channels. I'm looking forward to trying it again tonight at another indoor. If you figure out how to get the flip feature to work please post it here.

More
13 Jan 2015 19:22 #27661 by Zoide
Replied by Zoide on topic Dromida Ominus protocol?

skyjet wrote: I had my Ominis and an indoor event last night and I thought " gee, I wonder If this thing is SLT and will bind to my hacked Devo 10" So I proceeded to bind it to my Devo 10 and nothing happened. I wiggled the sticks around and the thing just took off strait to the ceiling. LOL! It was stuck on the ceiling with the throttle all the way down. I pushed the throttle slowly up and it came back down to the ground. I quickly learned I too had to reverse all of the channels. I'm looking forward to trying it again tonight at another indoor. If you figure out how to get the flip feature to work please post it here.

Interesting! Is your Devo 10 hardware stock? Or did you have to install the NRF24L01 module? Thanks

More
14 Jan 2015 14:41 #27676 by voyn

skyjet wrote: I had my Ominis and an indoor event last night and I thought " gee, I wonder If this thing is SLT and will bind to my hacked Devo 10" So I proceeded to bind it to my Devo 10 and nothing happened. I wiggled the sticks around and the thing just took off strait to the ceiling. LOL! It was stuck on the ceiling with the throttle all the way down. I pushed the throttle slowly up and it came back down to the ground. I quickly learned I too had to reverse all of the channels. I'm looking forward to trying it again tonight at another indoor. If you figure out how to get the flip feature to work please post it here.

Scary, ain't it? I'm so glad I was inside. If I had been outside I probably would have never seen it again. I'm also glad the Ominus has gear reduction so its climb rates aren't that fast. Good lesson, though - when first programming in a new quad, take off the dang props! And I have to say, I'm glad I'm not the only one to have to reverse all the channels, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

zoide wrote: Interesting! Is your Devo 10 hardware stock? Or did you have to install the NRF24L01 module? Thanks

Requires the NRF24L01 module for SLT. Great addition to the Tx!

As a general note, it turns out that I can't do manual flips in auto leveling mode after all, even with 125% response rates. They're doable in full manual mode, but I'm not anywhere near that good a pilot yet :) I can do manual flips with other models but not the Ominus. Probably something to do with channel 5 but I can't figure it out.

More
15 Jan 2015 01:11 #27693 by skyjet
Replied by skyjet on topic Dromida Ominus protocol?
Yes a friend installed two modules for me.

More
15 Jan 2015 02:59 #27696 by voyn
Okay, I think I finally figured out what CH5 does for the Ominus (and maybe other SLT quads). The closer CH5 is to -100, the more strictly the quad will "listen" to its gyros and resist any roll/pitch and stay absolutely flat. The closer to +100 the less strictly it listens to the gyros and the more you pitch/roll you can apply via AIL/ELE. I think it's the way a non-programmable SLT controller is supposed to handle low/medium/high rates. As far as I'm aware it doesn't affect RUD/yaw but I haven't tested it much.

I had previously assigned 3 different response curves to the FMODE switch and let the Tx use different curves based on which position it was in. With this new setup, the AIL/ELE signals are always on the same curve, but CH5 changes how much impact they have. The result is largely the same, but it's handled on the quad itself rather than on the Tx.

So now I'm trying to decide which way is the best way to go. It may be two ways of getting mostly the same results. I'm thinking I like the original way I was doing it, since that also lets me adjust yaw rates along with pitch/roll rates. I'll keep tinkering with both methods and see which has more appeal, and keep everyone posted here.

More
15 Jan 2015 04:37 - 26 Jan 2015 22:57 #27699 by voyn
Here are the two model profiles I've made up in case anyone wants to try them out. These were made for use with the 8S, I'm not sure if they'd need to be changed for use with other radios.

Model5.ini is my original profile using 3 different AIL/ELE/RUD response curves based on FMODE 0, 1, and 2. CH5 is locked at 100% to prevent it tampering with the gyro response, RUD DR 1 disables throttle, and AIL DR 1 turns off auto leveling for full manual flight.

Model6.ini is the new one with a single response curve for AIL/ELE/RUD but AIL/ELE responses are modified on-quad via CH5 to give low/med/hi rates (also mapped to FMODE for this profile). RUD DR 1 and AIL DR 1 have the same function as model5.ini.

Oh, and I'm attaching my Ominus icon in case anyone wants that too.

Hope these are some help!

EDIT: I'm removing model5.ini mainly because I forgot to zero out the trims before copying it from my Tx. I have also vastly improved upon it in the following post. Model6.ini probably still has trim issues, but illustrates the way to control the model with signals processed only on the Tx rather than on-quad.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jan 2015 22:57 by voyn.

More
23 Jan 2015 05:27 - 23 Jan 2015 05:59 #27945 by voyn
Eureka! I finally figured this crap out. Well, for the most part, anyways. Turns out that if you momentarily trigger CH6 from -100 to 100 (anything 26 and above actually works, for whatever reason), it engages flip mode and will flip in whatever direction you next twitch the right stick. This works best with the model profile that uses CH5 to handle low/med/hi rates because it doesn't matter what rate mode it is in - it will flip no matter what. The other model profile I made that used different rate curves switched via FMODE 0/1/2 needed to be in med/hi rates for the flips to work. So I've updated the Ominus profile and will upload it here. Here's a rundown of all the controls:

CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4 are all inverted as required for normal responses
RUD DR1 engages throttle safety and prevents props from spinning up
FMODE 0/1/2 manipulates CH5 to put the quad in low/med/hi rates (managed on the FC)
FMODE 0/1/2 also controls low/med/hi rates for RUD
TRIMLV+ (throttle trim "+" button) toggles CH6 momentarily to engage flip mode
AIL DR0 engages auto-leveling mode
AIL DR1 engages manual mode

And that's it!

About the "for the most part" thing I mentioned up top - there's an odd side-effect that I don't think it had with my original profile. Now when using AIL DR1 to switch to manual mode, it sometimes triggers flip mode at first, and sometimes it doesn't. I'll look more into trying to figure out what's going on. I'm pretty sure the original Tx didn't do this when engaging FMODE but I could be wrong. I'll check it out some more and report back.

Again, this is made for the Devo 8S, so if you're using something that doesn't have the switches listed above you may have to change things around.

UPDATE: It seems to be a timing thing - when you switch to manual mode while already in the air, if you move the right stick in any direction in the next few seconds you will trigger an auto-flip. Switching to manual mode while on the ground should prevent this, or if you absolutely must switch in the air, just don't move the right stick very much for a few seconds (slight movements seem okay).
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Jan 2015 05:59 by voyn.

More
25 Jan 2015 08:02 #27999 by R/C Madman
Replied by R/C Madman on topic Dromida Ominus protocol?
Can I download that file? I know nothing about the 8s I have coming on Monday but was pointed to this thread so I could get the file to "Load" into my 8s? When I click on the file I get this.

"name=Ominus
mixermode=Advanced
icon=OMINUS.BMP
[radio]
protocol=SLT
num_channels=6
tx_power=100mW

[channel1]
reverse=1
template=expo_dr
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch1
scalar=125
curvetype=expo
points=40,40

[channel2]
reverse=1
template=expo_dr
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch2
scalar=125
curvetype=expo
points=40,40

[channel3]
reverse=1
safetysw=RUD DR1
safetyval=-100
scalar=125
template=complex
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch3
curvetype=5point
points=-100,-64,-10,46,100
smooth=1

[channel4]
reverse=1
max=100
min=-100
template=expo_dr
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
scalar=60
curvetype=expo
points=-20,-20
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
switch=FMODE1
scalar=80
curvetype=expo
points=-20,-20
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
switch=FMODE2
curvetype=expo
points=-20,-20

[channel5]
max=100
min=-100
template=expo_dr
[mixer]
src=!FMODE0
dest=Ch5
scalar=-50
curvetype=fixed
[mixer]
src=!FMODE0
dest=Ch5
switch=FMODE1
scalar=25
curvetype=fixed
[mixer]
src=!FMODE0
dest=Ch5
switch=FMODE2
curvetype=fixed

[channel6]
max=100
min=-100
template=simple
[mixer]
src=AIL DR1
dest=Ch6
offset=100
curvetype=min/max
points=0

[virtchan1]
name=Virt1
[trim2]
src=RIGHT_V
pos=TRIMRV+
neg=TRIMRV-
[trim3]
src=LEFT_H
pos=TRIMLH+
neg=TRIMLH-
[trim4]
src=RIGHT_H
pos=TRIMRH+
neg=TRIMRH-
[trim5]
src=Ch6
pos=TRIMLV+
step=193
value=-100,0,0
[timer1]
type=countdown
src=THR
resetsrc=ELE DR1
time=480
[timer2]
src=THR
resetsrc=ELE DR1
[datalog]
switch=None
rate=1 sec
[safety]
Auto=min
[gui-320x240]
V-trim=133,75,1
H-trim=6,220,3
V-trim=183,75,2
H-trim=191,220,4
Big-box=9,40,Ch3
Big-box=9,90,Timer1
Small-box=9,150,Timer2
Small-box=9,181,None
Bargraph=205,150,Ch2
Bargraph=235,150,Ch1
Bargraph=265,150,Ch3
Bargraph=295,150,Ch4
Model=206,40
Toggle=130,38,1,64,128,None
Toggle=168,38,2,65,129,None
Toggle=147,76,0,66,0,RUD DR
Toggle=147,115,0,67,0,AIL DR
Toggle=147,153,0,68,0,ELE DR
Toggle=147,192,8,71,0,None
quickpage1=Telemetry monitor
����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������"

More
25 Jan 2015 09:37 #28006 by hansman007
Replied by hansman007 on topic Dromida Ominus protocol?
@ R/C Madman
just right click on the file. Then choose save file or save link as. Choose destination on your computer.

cheers

More
25 Jan 2015 14:42 #28018 by hansman007
Hi,

did some testing today.
So far works good.
Modded the ini so that it works on my Devo 7e

I'm still not sure how to tune the settings when the FMod1 switch is set to one.
Also I don't understand why the rudder differs from the aileron and elevator settings.

See my attached file for reference.

Big thanks to voyn

Hansman
Attachments:

More
25 Jan 2015 18:32 #28022 by voyn

hansman007 wrote: Hi,

did some testing today.
So far works good.
Modded the ini so that it works on my Devo 7e

I'm still not sure how to tune the settings when the FMod1 switch is set to one.
Also I don't understand why the rudder differs from the aileron and elevator settings.

See my attached file for reference.

Big thanks to voyn

Hansman

Hi again, Hansman :)

Glad it's working better on your 7E. Try the following changes for CH5:

FMOD0 - scale = 0
FMOD1 - scale = 100

This should allow you to select low rates on FMOD0, or high (full) rates on FMOD1. 0 is somewhere between my original file's -50 and 25 values and should match the stock Tx in low rates mode.

Basically CH5 controls what I'll call "gyro assertiveness", and all of the following calculations occur onboard the quad itself. The gyros want the quad to stay perfectly level at all times. With CH5 at -100 the gyros have almost full authority over the quad, causing it to all but ignore your AIL/ELE inputs. The closer it is to 100 the more control your AIL/ELE inputs will have. In other words, when CH5 is at -100 your quad will remain almost perfectly level no matter what you do with AIL/ELE. When CH5 is at 100, you get the full range of AIL/ELE response and can tilt it almost vertical even in auto-leveling mode. AIL/ELE are always at their maximum range regardless of the FMOD switch so that when CH5 is at 100, you have the full range of movement available. If you were to additionally reduce their values via the FMOD switch, CH5 manipulations would compound that effect resulting in further reductions to AIL/ELE input effectiveness (lower response rates than desired). I hope all of this makes sense.

On your profile for the 7E, adjust CH5's scale value for FMOD0 until you get a low rates setting that works for you. The values above should result in 50% rates in FMOD0 since 0 is the midpoint. For example, a positive value of 20 would give 60% responsiveness, while a negative value of -20 would give 40% responsiveness. I chose 3 levels of rates for my original profile mainly because the 3-way FMOD switch was there on my 8S, so why not?. Pure luxury. My original file uses -50 for FMOD0 which makes it very docile - easy to control indoors, stable for FPV, etc. It is less aggressive than the stock Tx's low rate mode. FMOD1 is slightly more responsive than the low rates mode on the stock Tx, and FMOD2 is full rates. Again, I hope all of this makes sense :)

As for CH4 (RUD), it is handled differently because all of that stuff I just wrote about CH5 has no effect on it. As far as I could tell CH5 only affects AIL/ELE, so if you want your yaw rates to also adjust with FMOD you have to set it up differently. That is why it has different rate curves but AIL/ELE do not. Try the following values:

FMOD0 - scale = 60
FMOD1 - scale = 100

This should give you yaw rates that roughly match the pitch/roll rates given by CH5 manipulation, but it's also an option to unlink this from the FMOD switch entirely if you want full yaw rates at all times. The manual's SLT instructions seem to imply this, and my brief experimentation shows that the stock Tx behaves this way.

I built this entire profile by trying to translate the manual's SLT instructions (contained in my first post above) into what they mean in Deviation. I am by no means 100% confident that I got it all right. Some of it still doesn't make any sense to me. The "Servo Travel" line seems to say that CH1, CH2, and CH3 all have -125%/125% range, CH4, CH5 and CH6 all have -100/100% range. I think I've got the dual rates thing figured out, but then what does the "+100" part of "Expo: -20/+100 Aileron & Elevator***" mean? I have no idea! I'm certain I got the throttle curve right, but am clueless when it comes to the final line, "Gyro: 25%/75%/125%". If anyone has insight into any of this, please let me know. I'd love to get this profile 100% correct.

*** I chose EXPO 40 rather than EXPO -20 because I like the way it responds better - makes it less twitchy. Feel free to change this back if you like the response on the stock Tx.

More
26 Jan 2015 10:16 #28036 by hansman007
voyn your the man...
just checked it out on the Emulator...

Had to read your post 3 times cause technical english is harder to read. ;)

As far as I understood this, when I get the 2x3 Switch Mod working I could use your original Profile and just reassign the switches, due to the fact that they are labeled differently on a modded 7E.

[channel4]
reverse=1
max=100
min=-100
template=expo_dr
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
scalar=60
curvetype=expo
points=-20,-20
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
switch=FMODE1
scalar=80
curvetype=expo
points=-20,-20
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
switch=FMODE1
curvetype=expo
points=-20,-20

What does the red marked section do?
I looks like the one above it but the scalar setting missing.

thanks

Hansman

More
26 Jan 2015 14:08 #28041 by voyn
Sad to say, but I have absolutely no idea what that section in red does :D

Rather than write the profile from the ground up on a PC, I built the profile using my transmitter's touchscreen, so the .ini file is just what the onboard software came up with. I took a look at the .ini for my Hubsan X4 which uses a very similar setup for FMOD-controlled RUD curves, but the file is missing that section in red. I didn't write this code at all, so it may have been trimmed down by someone that knew what they were doing. Here is its code:

[channel4]
template=expo_dr
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
scalar=60
curvetype=expo
points=30,30
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
switch=FMODE1
scalar=80
curvetype=expo
points=30,30
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
switch=FMODE2
curvetype=expo
points=30,30

The RUD setup screens for each profile look nearly identical, so I'm not sure what the difference is. Perhaps it is unneeded code and can be safely deleted - maybe it is left over from when I was tinkering around trying to set things up correctly. Another possibility is that it is required for SLT protocol, but I doubt that's what's going on.

Uhh, nevermind all that:

I just compared the .ini I posted, and the .ini from my latest Tx filesystem backup, and they're actually quite different! I truly have no idea what happened. I'll upload my latest profile tonight when I get home from work. Here is what that section should probably say:

src=RUD
dest=Ch4
switch=FMODE2
curvetype=expo
points=-20,-20

The lack of scalar value most likely means that when this section is active, it operates at 100%.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds