New FrSkyX protocol

More
11 Jul 2016 02:56 #51537 by ceskquad
Replied by ceskquad on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Hi SteveA,
Have not get dropouts, but I have not try flying far nor long enough as of yet. Thus far I have the amp set to 100 microwatts and I am ok for less than 20 feet (estimated) but RSSI shows strong (+85 db). I may not be the best to ask as my quad is still wearing diapers ☺

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2016 02:45 #51777 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic New FrSkyX protocol
hexfet, I did some testing today, a range test at 1mw power output got me >200 meters till the green light wernt out and red came on and flight controller indicated failsafe but the RSSI reading was a bit wonky the whole time (staying pretty high till it went out totally). I have a datalog but it's unreadable to me (not in ASCII), does that sound like it's a good file or is something corrupt? If it's normal I'll clear out some space in my dropdox and upload it (I literally have 0.00mb of memory left lol).

Anyway the range check returns very promising results (200 meters till link-loss at 1mw output power) but I still got a random dropout in flight, at short range (at the normal 100mW output power).

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
17 Jul 2016 15:52 #51791 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Please do upload the datalog. It is a binary file. The telemetry changes seem to have affected the datalog for FrskyX - the decoding script no longer works. Haven't had time to fix it yet.

Do you notice any difference in the dropouts if the failsafe protocol option is set to RX? This disables sending of failsafe packets so the failsafe values set in the rx are used.

Does the flight controller indicate failsafe when the random dropout occurs?

More
17 Jul 2016 17:44 #51794 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Be carefull with range check, I have found issue reported at Frsky D protocol.

I made a small diode Rf detector with a 100uA meter. Using deviation range check at cc2500, I still have pretty high RF strength, and big radiation.
Comparing to a stock Frsky Transmitter at Range check, there is no more RF output at all detrected.... Possibly the PA of the CC2500, to be completely disabled for Rangecheck? At full power deviation and a real Frsky TX, are approx. same power.

More
18 Jul 2016 11:01 #51823 by z33
Replied by z33 on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Hi guys,

Great work here and thank you. I have been reading the pages on this forum but it's a little too technical for me unfortunately.

Is the protocol ready to be used?
Can someone point me on how I can enable the X protocol? Where do I start?
I have a devo 6s already modded and is able to bind with the D4R but I'm flying XSR mostly these days.

TIA!

Cheers,
Z

More
18 Jul 2016 12:43 #51825 by Nitro_123
Replied by Nitro_123 on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Pretty sure there is something wrong with thr frsky and frskyx protocol in terms of range checks.
Using the lowest powet setting i was able to get ~40 m on my d4r-II.
I think someone has posted a fix for this somewhere on the forums.
If this can be implemented thatd be great

More
18 Jul 2016 13:34 - 18 Jul 2016 13:51 #51826 by Cereal_Killer

hexfet wrote: Please do upload the datalog. It is a binary file.

Does this work?

Not sure how many logs are there but the last thing in that file should be my range test. I loaded a new nightly immediately after and replaced the datalog file.

drive.google.com/open?id=0B7wEdbyu6hP6MlNyVzJSeFoyOFU

[quote="hexfet" post=51791Do you notice any difference in the dropouts if the failsafe protocol option is set to RX? This disables sending of failsafe packets so the failsafe values set in the rx are used.

Does the flight controller indicate failsafe when the random dropout occurs?[/quote]

I have it set to RX (you told me to do that before), would you like me to try with a different setting?

Yes the FC indicates failsafe, I have Cleanfligh FS settings set to trigger very quickly (after 0.1 sec of signal loss) so it's very easy to see when it happens cause it instantly switches into self-level mode and snaps it back to level (I fly in acro so my FS settings are to change to SL and slowly land) but the "glitch" is so short that I havent yet crashed or had it actually self land, I just loose control for half a second while it levels its self then it comes right back...

Last edit: 18 Jul 2016 13:51 by Cereal_Killer.

More
18 Jul 2016 15:47 #51836 by sledgehammer1570
Replied by sledgehammer1570 on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Hi guys. I did a range test with devo10-v5.0.0-e4a91dc (nightly), with 3in1 module from bg and frsky x4rsb. I had the rx on the hood of a car and antennas about 90deg. I walked a flat road about 300m away from rx and got first dropout. Green light went red for a moment. After that there were lot of dropouts all the way to end of the straight section of road. Slightly uphill. Exactly 2km distance and still managed to have a connection though. I have never done a range test before but i'm not too confident of installing this rx to my aerial photography rig, because of the drop outs. I've set freq-fine at +35, but havent touched any other settings. What do you guys think?

More
18 Jul 2016 16:43 #51837 by hexfet
I think this post is the one Nitro refers to and seems to corroborate Fernandez's observations.

CK, how is the failsafe set on your RX? Does the FC go into failsafe when the RX is not sending any PPM output? The datalog could tell if RSSI or RX power drops (at least on a 1 second timescale) so it seems I need to get that fixed. I'd like to rule those out before deeming it a protocol issue, mainly because I've no clues about where to look in the protocol...

More
18 Jul 2016 16:49 #51838 by hexfet

z33 wrote: Is the protocol ready to be used?
I have a devo 6s already modded and is able to bind with the D4R but I'm flying XSR mostly these days.

You'll need to upgrade to Deviation 5.0. Then you can choose the FrskyX protocol. You may need to adjust the FreqFine protocol option if your receiver doesn't bind.

A couple users have reported dropouts (as seen on the last couple pages of this forum). Would like to get some more user reports, especially with the XSR receiver.

More
18 Jul 2016 17:49 #51840 by Cereal_Killer

hexfet wrote: CK, how is the failsafe set on your RX? Does the FC go into failsafe when the RX is not sending any PPM output? The datalog could tell if RSSI or RX power drops (at least on a 1 second timescale) so it seems I need to get that fixed. I'd like to rule those out before deeming it a protocol issue, mainly because I've no clues about where to look in the protocol...

It's set to no pulses (I dont remember the process but using the button you can manually set it to do what you want; hold, presets or no pulses). Note I'm using S.BUS output to my Naze32. Failsafe does function when you're flying and switch the Tx off, both with devo and taranis

What test can I do to create more useful logs? I dont mind walking (full power range testing) or whatever...

More
19 Jul 2016 00:59 #51863 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic New FrSkyX protocol

hexfet wrote:

z33 wrote: Is the protocol ready to be used?

You'll need to upgrade to Deviation 5.0. Then you can choose the FrskyX protocol. You may need to adjust the FreqFine protocol option if your receiver doesn't bind.

A couple users have reported dropouts (as seen on the last couple pages of this forum). Would like to get some more user reports, especially with the XSR receiver.

Um, unless I'm really confused, FrSkyX is not in 5.0. Or in the latest nightly, either. It's only in the test builds. 5.0 has FrSky (which is the old FrSky D8 protocol) or FrSky-V8 (which is an even older FrSky protocol with no telemetry) with 5.0. To use FrSky X, you have to be running test builds being discussed on this thread.

From watching the comments on this thread, I'd say that FrSky X isn't ready for use beyond testing yet. Worse, the FrSky protocol on the test builds seems to be having issues.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
19 Jul 2016 02:11 #51867 by z33
Replied by z33 on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Hi Guys,

Appreciate the reply.

It seems that the X protocol is still being tested. I will continue to follow developments here and hope to try out the X protocol once it is ready.

Cheers,
Z

More
19 Jul 2016 03:08 #51868 by hexfet

mwm wrote: Um, unless I'm really confused, FrSkyX is not in 5.0.

This is correct. My mistake.

mwm wrote: Or in the latest nightly, either. It's only in the test builds

This is not correct. FrskyX is included in the nightly builds.

While I wouldn't put it on an expensive model, the more folks that try it the better for revealing any issues.

More
19 Jul 2016 05:07 #51869 by hexfet

Cereal_Killer wrote: Not sure how many logs are there but the last thing in that file should be my range test. I loaded a new nightly immediately after and replaced the datalog file.

The datalog decode script handles your file no problem. I'd recommend Evans upgrade to latest nightly and try again.

While the script decodes the data, it interprets all the data as if it was Devo telemetry. (Add a project to the list to support DSM and Frsky telemetry). The effect is that the column header names are for Devo telemetry, and the values scaled correspondingly (if scaled at all). For example, the script labels column 1 as Volt1 instead of RSSI (for Frsky) and scales as voltage showing 10.9 for an RSSI of 109.

Was the datalog still running when you walked back to the aircraft? The last three seconds are 112, one of the highest values seen.

Most of the RSSI values are between 105 and 110 - no sign of dropouts there. It would be good to datalog the receiver voltage as well (volt1 I think on xsr).

Since the datalog only records sampled values every 1 second it's possible it would miss a dropout that's detected by a 0.1s threshold on the FC. Would be interesting to see if the FC goes into failsafe if the timeout is 0.5 or 1 second (up to your comfort level :)

One thing you might try is flying with s.port telemetry disconnected to see if that makes a difference. It would change what the tx sends because the packet sequence numbers wouldn't change.

I've created an frskyx_drop test build that has a protocol option to disable the packet sequence number counter. Please check if there's any difference in dropouts between the off and on settings. Thanks!

More
19 Jul 2016 07:47 #51872 by M8A4X
Replied by M8A4X on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Hello everyone!

recently I installed the Deviation 5.0.0 nightly (-dd199b1) onto my F12E, one reason was the Frsky X protocol.
Model control and range seems fine, three quads equipped with an Frsky X8R are now my test-gear, as they are RTH capable in case of a signal loss.

One thing is strange: when I select "Telemetry monitor" in the "Transmitter menu" the F12E crashes and reboots.
No matter if I leave the values in "Model menu" --> "Telemetry config" empty or not, as soon as "Telemetry monitor" is selected --> reboot.

After such a reboot the transmitter works as before, just if "Telemetry monitor" was never touched.

Also tested this on a Devo 12S (latest nightly installed), no problem there. I didn´t test if telemetry values are correct, but the "Telemetry monitor" works and doesn´t cause a transmitter crash and reboot.

Am I doing something wrong on the Devo F12E or is this a bug in the nightly?

Best regards
Max

More
19 Jul 2016 10:49 #51883 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic New FrSkyX protocol
the code for the F series transmitters isn't fully complete yet bud, best bet is post the bug on the bug tracker

More
22 Jul 2016 22:10 #52021 by sfersystem
Replied by sfersystem on topic New FrSkyX protocol
I've just installed the XSR on my F330 coupled to my devo10 and it"s working very well.

i have the RSSI but is it possible to see the battery voltage through the sbus port ?

Thank you for the very good work.

More
23 Jul 2016 12:43 #52047 by Cereal_Killer
No, you have two options...

Hook up the S.PORT to the flight controller (and configure it for smart port telemetry) or hook a voltage divider up to A2

More
24 Jul 2016 10:53 #52079 by sfersystem
Replied by sfersystem on topic New FrSkyX protocol

Cereal_Killer wrote: No, you have two options...

Hook up the S.PORT to the flight controller (and configure it for smart port telemetry) or hook a voltage divider up to A2

Thank you !

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds