New FrSkyX protocol

More
07 Mar 2017 12:20 #59947 by sfersystem
Replied by sfersystem on topic New FrSkyX protocol
I was wondering if my DEVO10 with frskyx protocol was as range effective as a TARANIS 9XD plus.

Someone have maybe both and can tell me.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2017 14:14 #59954 by bampi2k
Replied by bampi2k on topic New FrSkyX protocol
I dont have a Devo10 or a Taranis 9XD.
I have a devo7e with a 5db wifi antenna on the CC2500 module. I am using a XM+ FrSky receiver(FCC). I checked range today. on ground I get more than 1km. I say 'more-than' because I ran out of straight road after that. That data would be very close to the range that FrSky suggests in their specs for the XM+ on a legit Taranis Radio.

I can tell though that I do have a problem of channel values twitching (when seen on Baseflight GUI). But that's for another post.
Hope the above data helps, do write back if you want me to try out some other tests. Happy to help.
Attachments:

More
07 Mar 2017 14:38 #59955 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic New FrSkyX protocol
I have vbat enabled on my frskyxm rx but i can't figure out how to get it to show up on my tx anybody have a idea whats going on?

More
07 Mar 2017 15:04 #59958 by sfersystem
Have you first wire your FC with full battery power, there is two pin

More
07 Mar 2017 15:10 #59960 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic New FrSkyX protocol

magic_marty wrote: I have vbat enabled on my frskyxm rx but i can't figure out how to get it to show up on my tx anybody have a idea whats going on?

Vbat? How did you do this?

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
07 Mar 2017 15:12 #59961 by sfersystem
1km .. that's just incredible.
I have definitely something wrong with my setup.
Devo10+XSR I have at best 400 meters range and often, not more than 150m in open space (field)
Tried with 3di standard antenna and the 5dbi from DEVO10, it isn't better.

How can i check what's wrong ?
thx

More
07 Mar 2017 15:26 #59962 by CesiumSalami
Replied by CesiumSalami on topic New FrSkyX protocol

magic_marty wrote: I have vbat enabled on my frskyxm rx but i can't figure out how to get it to show up on my tx anybody have a idea whats going on?

Maybe you're talking about something else, but the FrSky XM and XM+ do not support vbat monitoring as far as I know.

bampi2k wrote: I can tell though that I do have a problem of channel values twitching (when seen on Baseflight GUI). But that's for another post.
Hope the above data helps, do write back if you want me to try out some other tests. Happy to help.

All the channels? or just one? More than like 1 "point"?

More
07 Mar 2017 15:49 #59965 by bampi2k
Its all the channels that twitch. I made a small video. I put it HERE . have a look.

Initial thoughts...
1. The twitches seem somewhat rhythmic. could be from the refresh of the protocol code.
2. Maybe the 7e is just not capable to keep up. (very less space)
3. Very small chance. But could be a problem with SBUS + Naze32 + Baseflight!!!
At this moment I don't have another X series receiver from FrSky to test with.
Please do note that, I do understand code but I have never looks very deep into the DeviationTX codebase.

More
07 Mar 2017 16:00 #59966 by bampi2k

sfersystem wrote: 1km .. that's just incredible.
Devo10+XSR I have at best 400 meters range and often, not more than 150m in open space (field)

thx

This very much looks like a electronics problem than a software one, Yet I would suggest the following checklist: (or post the details here for people to help you or debug)
1. What is the CC2500 module that you are using? sure it has a PA on it?
2. From the CC2500 to the antenna: UFL/ipex connector? + the SMA/RPSMA connector for antenna.
3. Sure the antenna is a 3dbi or 5dbi antenna for 2.4GHz?
4. Did you do the fine freq adjustment for FrSkyX on your radio? (I guess Hexfet describes how to do it a few posts back)

Hope that helps!

More
07 Mar 2017 16:48 #59969 by magic_marty
Yes its the Femco fc the battery hooks directly to it ..I have the battery voltage displaying in betaflight just can't get it on my 12s

More
07 Mar 2017 16:56 #59970 by magic_marty
While on the twitching issue i am having a similar problem...when i arm and give throttle the motors twitch and it jerks back n forth on the yaw axis but in betaflight powering up the motors with the slider they run smooth...

More
07 Mar 2017 17:34 #59975 by bampi2k

magic_marty wrote: Yes its the Femco fc the battery hooks directly to it ..I have the battery voltage displaying in betaflight just can't get it on my 12s

Hello Marty, It would be great if you mention the RX that you are using:
XM / XM+ : No telemetry. i.e. these do no send any data back to the TX using radio waves!! You will be able to see the voltage in BF.
XSR / X4R : (I dont own these RX myself) but i think, you would have to use Smartport and then send all the data from FC to the RX. FC:UART <-> RX:Smartport

magic_marty wrote: While on the twitching issue i am having a similar problem...when i arm and give throttle the motors twitch and it jerks back n forth on the yaw axis but in betaflight powering up the motors with the slider they run smooth...

This might not be a problem related to DeviationTX. I would encourage you to ask in the BF or Quad racing forums. (I can give you a hint, it seems to be an issue with Throttle min setting in the ESC)

More
07 Mar 2017 17:57 #59976 by magic_marty
it the tiny xm sbus version...so no way to get the vbat on my tx that sux..

More
07 Mar 2017 21:40 #59981 by CesiumSalami
Replied by CesiumSalami on topic New FrSkyX protocol
bampi2k - that's pretty weird ... neither my X4RSB nor my XM+ do that with my Devo 7e with the 4-in-1 on the FrSkyX protocol ... both nearly same fine frequency adjustment.

I don't have that "Format" option, though ... is that associated with the failsafe?

More
08 Mar 2017 00:45 #59987 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic New FrSkyX protocol

bampi2k wrote: Its all the channels that twitch. I made a small video.

Looks like just the first four channels, not all of them.

Initial thoughts...
1. The twitches seem somewhat rhythmic. could be from the refresh of the protocol code.

Yes, doesn't look random. Best I can tell min 1495, max 1506, which just might be visible in the channel monitor. What do you see there?

2. Maybe the 7e is just not capable to keep up. (very less space)

No, the CPU runs at the same speed and space is either enough or it won't compile.

3. Very small chance. But could be a problem with SBUS + Naze32 + Baseflight!!!
At this moment I don't have another X series receiver from FrSky to test with.
Please do note that, I do understand code but I have never looks very deep into the DeviationTX codebase.

What is the number of channels set in the model? If it's not 8, please try it at 8.

More
08 Mar 2017 02:19 #59989 by bampi2k
Thanks for the points, shall check once I get back from work. That would be about 10hrs later! :-/

More
08 Mar 2017 06:08 - 08 Mar 2017 06:09 #59992 by bampi2k

CesiumSalami wrote: bampi2k - that's pretty weird ... neither my X4RSB nor my XM+ do that with my Devo 7e with the 4-in-1 on the FrSkyX protocol ... both nearly same fine frequency adjustment.

Could you tell me the build that you are using then I can try that out and post the results.

CesiumSalami wrote: I don't have that "Format" option, though ... is that associated with the failsafe?

That's there in the latest nightly. It is in response to the fact that the new FrSky RXs are coming with atleast 2 versions of the firmware: EU (LBT) and FCC. There seems to be some change in the format. It also affects legit Taranis radios and is detailed on the FrSky website.
For specific technical details of the 'Format' option, Hexfet could tell. I guess he implemented it in DeviationTX!
Last edit: 08 Mar 2017 06:09 by bampi2k.

More
08 Mar 2017 12:13 - 08 Mar 2017 12:15 #59998 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New FrSkyX protocol

sfersystem wrote: 1km .. that's just incredible.

thx

It might be the XSR, as I also had exactly same issue, my XSR drone drop out of the sky on really short ranges. (I use IrangeX clone XSR, but 2 of them both have same issue)
What also find out at the time was, using range check or full150mw, not gave much difference in range., like antennas or the lna not connected?
I have been using Frsky original X4R with really long ranges perfectly. As I change nighties I suspected the Frsky builds.
I recently compared old build from 30th November (which certainly had good range) to new build and could not find difference in range.
I removed the antenna from my XSR, soldered new ones, with gnd at both pads, also put length to 31.5mm.

Will need to check in new flights. there a mixed range reports on the XSR range.... (some ok, some bad)
Last edit: 08 Mar 2017 12:15 by Fernandez.

More
08 Mar 2017 12:53 #59999 by sfersystem
I order one x4r-sb for testing.

i'll check the 4 points that bampi2k tell upper and come back.

1. What is the CC2500 module that you are using? sure it has a PA on it?
2. From the CC2500 to the antenna: UFL/ipex connector? + the SMA/RPSMA connector for antenna.
3. Sure the antenna is a 3dbi or 5dbi antenna for 2.4GHz?
4. Did you do the fine freq adjustment for FrSkyX on your radio? (I guess Hexfet describes how to do it a few posts back)

More
08 Mar 2017 13:23 #60000 by bampi2k

hexfet wrote: Looks like just the first four channels, not all of them.

Yes, I confirm its just the first 4 channels.

Yes, doesn't look random. Best I can tell min 1495, max 1506, which just might be visible in the channel monitor. What do you see there?

Again an Yes!. I post a video as observed on my radio.

Also, Just to get a better understanding of what is going on here, could you explain what could be going wrong?

What is the number of channels set in the model? If it's not 8, please try it at 8.

I did try 8. I did try 6. and the characteristics did not change.

I understand that I maybe should capture some error log and debug data. Could you guide me to a post where I can learn how to to that on DeviationTX?

Once again, thanks for all the help from the guys here.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds