Documentation Discussion

More
28 Dec 2013 21:17 #17346 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Checking pages 17-21
Ok, translation reasons.
What about a small graphic arrow cross instead of the word? Just to save some space and moved near to the Y.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2013 21:37 #17347 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Checking pages 17-21

PhracturedBlue wrote:

kreidler wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: Lastly. I'm currently working on redoing the build system. I'll likely set it up so the filesystem and dfu (or exe for the emulator) are included in one zip file, with the emulator ready to go.

Perfect, will wait for it.

I just added this.
However, I am not going to change the way nightlies are built. Most folks updating nightlies replace just the dfu without the FS on a frequent basis.
The official builds will now include the fs at the root directory (and the emu will have it in the filesystem/<target>/ dir.
Here are some examples (note that the emulator was built for linux and so likely isn't useful except to see the layout)

DFU:

File Attachment:

File Name: deviation-...7f3d.zip
File Size:756 KB

Emulator:

File Attachment:

File Name: deviation-...bf67.zip
File Size:771 KB

sorry full quote. I do have my mobile with me.
Fully understood, good idea, will simplify the installation process. I will update the manual accordingly. Assuming protocol directory is included in Devo7e zip.

More
28 Dec 2013 22:15 #17354 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Checking pages 17-21

kreidler wrote: Ok, translation reasons.
What about a small graphic arrow cross instead of the word? Just to save some space and moved near to the Y.

Good idea. I've checked in the fix. Here's what it looks like:

Attachments:

More
28 Dec 2013 23:14 #17368 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Checking pages 17-21

kreidler wrote: Assuming protocol directory is included in Devo7e zip.

i just built the latest code and it looks like the 7e still builds in the old manner with seperate zips for the fs and the dfu/debug

More
28 Dec 2013 23:44 #17372 by PhracturedBlue
As I said above, this will only apply for official release builds. If you want to do a release build do it via:
make TARGET=devo7e zip INCLUDE_FS=1
or for a full set:
make release INCLUDE_FS=1

More
29 Dec 2013 01:49 #17373 by PhracturedBlue
FYI, I have started porting the manual to the Devo6/8/12 now. I based my current manual on kreidler's last checkin.
You can find my verion of the Devo10 manual here.(I made a few minor changes):
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation-manual-bh

From here out, I will need to manually merge all changes so I can keep in sync between the 10 and 12 manuals.

As soon as I'm done with the initial merge, I'll make the Devo12 manual available too (the one that is there currently is still the 3.0 manual)

More
29 Dec 2013 04:32 - 29 Dec 2013 04:33 #17375 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Latest version
Just pulled in kreidler's last pull request and created a new PDF for review. The PDF is in the downloads of my Bitbucket repo and the source is up to date as of 23:31 GMT-5

I did fix a couple of image scaling issues and crop margins.

Bud
Last edit: 29 Dec 2013 04:33 by WheresWaldo.

More
29 Dec 2013 05:13 #17378 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Latest version
Something that I just noticied is missing: DSM2/X protocols have a completely different Telemetry screen than the Devo protocol does. We should probablyhave a screenshot of each as I'm not sure the displayed data in intuitive.

More
29 Dec 2013 05:17 #17379 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Latest version

WheresWaldo wrote: Just pulled in kreidler's last pull request and created a new PDF for review. The PDF is in the downloads of my Bitbucket repo and the source is up to date as of 23:31 GMT-5

I did fix a couple of image scaling issues and crop margins.

Bud

As I noted above, now that I've started work on the Devo12 docs, I won't be taking any changes that aren't based off my repo. If you have changes you want incorporated, make sure to pull the latest Devo10 manual from my repo, make changes as needed, and then send me a pull request. I will not be keeping track of any other repos between now and release, so all changes you'd like to see need to come through a pull request. Note that I'm still using this repo:

I'm working

More
29 Dec 2013 15:26 - 29 Dec 2013 15:27 #17402 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Pull request (I don't know what I am doing)
PB, I added the stuff about telemetry for DSM and images, I fixed the image for the layout display to show your cute arrows and the correct placement of the Battery / Power. But I am a noob to Bitbucket, I just wanted to pull the .fodt file but it pulled three other files along with it. I don't know what I did wrong or how to fix it.

I apologize if this just made you more work then necessary.

I also have a question about the Layout, all the boxes are sequentially numbered except for Model (which is named) yet the Battery and Power are both numbered 1. Was this intentional, it makes it harder to know which box you are moving and when I redid my personal layout I actually had to configure it twice since I moved the boxes into the incorrect positions.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2013 15:27 by WheresWaldo.

More
29 Dec 2013 16:41 #17406 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Pull request (I don't know what I am doing)
As far a battery/power layout, it isn't intentional, but I don't know if I'll get it fixed before the next release. Options are limited due to the micro-font having a reduced character set, so I can't label them as 'Power' and Battery'

As far as HG goes, you cannot work on one file at a time. You need to do a 'pull' of a repo, then copy your files into it. Generally I'm finding hg to be unproductive for managing the fodt files. The best option I've found is to use 'Compare Documents' and to apply changes, but it seems to work backwards, and has a tendency to screw up the formatting.

I have updated the Devo10 and Devo8 manuals now to be in sync. The devo8 still needs a lot of TLC, and the Devo10 needs proof-reading.

More
29 Dec 2013 17:02 - 29 Dec 2013 17:03 #17413 by PhracturedBlue
Also note that Where's Waldo and kreidler made simillar changes for the telemetry, but in different ways. I've taken keridler's version as a starting point.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2013 17:03 by PhracturedBlue.

More
29 Dec 2013 17:18 #17420 by WheresWaldo

PhracturedBlue wrote: As far a battery/power layout, it isn't intentional, but I don't know if I'll get it fixed before the next release. Options are limited due to the micro-font having a reduced character set, so I can't label them as 'Power' and Battery'

Could they just use the next two numbers in sequence?

More
29 Dec 2013 18:51 #17423 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Pull request (I don't know what I am doing)
At the moment the Devo10manual looks a bit destroyed. Some manual breaks seems to be displaced or missing. For the new installation I did a new image which had not been transferred in the actual version. Without this picture the sense of the description is at least a bit confusing because the dfu etc have been included in all builds. Please reconsider and come back if I shall improve the optic:).
Attachments:

More
29 Dec 2013 20:58 #17434 by PhracturedBlue
As I said, trying to merge changes is a pain. I personally don't normally do final formatting until the text is complete because adding things like page-breaks adds extra maintenance when the text keeps changing. However, I've added your updated image (LibreOffice seems to have issues inserting images when using Compare Documents). I also fixed the most egregious page-break issues.

On a side note, has anyone figured out a way to do an insert->picture->From File without the image getting resized? I need to open an image in a viewer, do a ctrl-c, then go into libreoffice and do a ctrl-v toget images to come in at the desired resolution. Really annoying.

More
29 Dec 2013 21:20 #17435 by kreidler

PhracturedBlue wrote: As I said, trying to merge changes is a pain.

I know......

Regarding image I do not know if you mean something like this: I you do a drag and drop into a copied old image the new one gets the size of the old one. If the height is different change the percentage via the properties. That's my way.

More
30 Dec 2013 02:37 - 30 Dec 2013 02:38 #17451 by PhracturedBlue
Ok, I've cleaned up the references to be consistent and to print well, and have proof-read through the full Devo10 documentation. I think it is good enough to release with now, but if you see anything I missed, or that you'd like further improved just let me know.

I uploaded the pdf version here:
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation-m...tion10UserManual.pdf

The fodt is of course here:
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation-manual-bh/overview
Last edit: 30 Dec 2013 02:38 by PhracturedBlue.

More
30 Dec 2013 04:54 #17454 by WheresWaldo
You left the line numbers on and it shows in the PDF

More
30 Dec 2013 04:57 #17455 by PhracturedBlue
I didn't mean to say that there wouldn't be any changes. I haven't updated the release version yet either. I'll leave the line-numbers for now and leave myself a note to remove them before release.

More
30 Dec 2013 09:01 #17466 by kreidler
Some minor things:

Batt alarm default for 7e is missing (4.10V). Default for Devo 10 (8.00V) is shown on the image.

I cannot generate an image via the emu for the Safe Value screen which appear on an incorrect setting while loading another model. Afaik changing or adding different control could be realised atm via editing the ini file only. But in general an image with some words might be helpful. E.g. this a safety warning only or transmission will be initiated after resolving this screen.

Off-topic: In the source the heli_std.ini do have a layout section which is ignored when loading the template. The part could be removed.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds