Documentation Discussion

More
26 Dec 2013 19:52 #17065 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Checking pages 17-21

WheresWaldo wrote: Actually, the .fodt (Flat Open Document Text) file should be an XML file as designed by the LibreOffice contributors. We are actually saving a .odt (Open Document Text) binary file with an incorrect extention of .fodt.

Thank you guys.
The missing word for me was 'flat'. I am absolutely not familiar with these XML stuff. In my standard LibreOffice installation the correct filter was missing.

WheresWaldo you might check on your Win7 if this filter has not been installed also. I attached the OpenDocument (as usual please rename).

@RandMental: Explaining the ini files is ok and useful. But I understood your posts that you like to have MORE. E.g. some kind of a real progamming handbook. Or am I wrong?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2013 20:00 - 26 Dec 2013 20:03 #17066 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Docs vs. User Guides
I always like a good User Guide. From my experience documentation does simply that, document the feature / functions of whatever it is you are using. At the same time it does not necessarily explain practical usage. That is where a User Guide comes in.

With regard to Deviation, I would love to include a sample (default) modelxx.ini file in an appendix along with simple explanations of each line, but a User Guide could be used to explain why you use None for Swash on a Gyro equipped Heli or how to do V-Tail mixing, why I want a 70% Gyro sensitivity setting when I can use anything from 0-100%, etc.

The need for User Guides is why there is a whole industry built around the publication of such material, wouldn't be great if we could have a Deviation For Dummies!
Last edit: 26 Dec 2013 20:03 by WheresWaldo.

More
26 Dec 2013 21:14 #17067 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Checking pages 17-21

kreidler wrote: @RandMental: Explaining the ini files is ok and useful. But I understood your posts that you like to have MORE. E.g. some kind of a real progamming handbook. Or am I wrong?

We started the model.ini manual and intended including also the tx.ini file keywords.

Our requirement was to list all keywords and options available in Deviation with a short description - as many keywords and options are available but not all are written in the files as default, nor can you access some via the GUIs.

More
27 Dec 2013 00:10 #17072 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Checking pages 17-21
FYI, the reason I use fodt is because it is uncompressed XML. While the files are bigger, Mercurial can actually manage deltas on thee file, and the overall repo size is much smaller.

However, given that we currently have several contributors, I'm wondering if it is worth trying a collaborative documentation service. I've imported the document into GoogleDocs, and it doesn't look too bad. The editor is more limited (for instance you can't add line numbers, I don't know what else it can't do). Here is a link to the document if you want to see how it looks:
docs.google.com/document/d/1N_HrVtV20hi_...wjU/edit?usp=sharing

If there is an interest among the currently active editors, I can give edit access and we can try to use a shared repo for making changes. If you want to try, PM me an e-mail address, and I'll give you edit permissions (assuming we want to try at all)

I've been having trouble tracking changes between 3 people, so if it works, this would make that task easier. It would also let folks work on different things when the Devo8/12 Manual gets started (someone could add images while others modify the text. The main question is whether GoogleDocs is good enough to write a manual in, and I have no idea what the answer to that is.

More
27 Dec 2013 09:26 #17082 by kreidler

RandMental wrote: Our requirement was to list all keywords and options available in Deviation with a short description - as many keywords and options are available but not all are written in the files as default, nor can you access some via the GUIs.

I was confused about the naming 'Modelconfig' which led me to a wrong conclusion. Probably I will do within the next time a guide how to set up a plane with up to four flaps in the forum.

PhracturedBlue wrote: FYI, the reason I use fodt is because it is uncompressed XML. While the files are bigger, Mercurial can actually manage deltas on thee file, and the overall repo size is much smaller.

The problem was on my LibreOffice installation. I did an update to the latest version before starting on the manuals with standard settings. This version do not have marked the flat XML 'converter' (UOF text) as default anymore.

PhracturedBlue wrote: I've been having trouble tracking changes between 3 people, so if it works, this would make that task easier. It would also let folks work on different things when the Devo8/12 Manual gets started (someone could add images while others modify the text. The main question is whether GoogleDocs is good enough to write a manual in, and I have no idea what the answer to that is.

I created a new pull request to WheresWaldo repo with saved revision history. Now correctly in fodt. This format can also handle the changes on a document. Via Edit->Changes->Record all items will be recorded and can be approved or declined (via Accept or Reject...) later on. If we would go back now to your repo you would see any change done and you can approve, do changes or even reject.

More
27 Dec 2013 12:02 - 27 Dec 2013 12:03 #17085 by RandMental
Hi Guys

A Devo8s Hardware Definition and Hardware Upgrade document I did which we can add to the Repo for a formal release in future.

File Attachment:

File Name: Devo8sHard...fodt.txt
File Size:358 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Dec 2013 12:03 by RandMental.

More
27 Dec 2013 12:13 #17087 by RandMental
Ditto for this one - document Dave (Hexperience)did which we can add to the Repo for a formal How to release in future.

File Attachment:

File Name: Deviation-...fodt.txt
File Size:351 KB
Attachments:

More
27 Dec 2013 14:30 #17092 by PhracturedBlue

kreidler wrote: I created a new pull request to WheresWaldo repo with saved revision history. Now correctly in fodt. This format can also handle the changes on a document. Via Edit->Changes->Record all items will be recorded and can be approved or declined (via Accept or Reject...) later on. If we would go back now to your repo you would see any change done and you can approve, do changes or even reject.

You can turn that back off. It is basically useless if you've actually looked at any significant amount of changes. Also, the real problem is that Waldo, you, and I are in different time zones, so parallel work is nearly impossible right now.

More
27 Dec 2013 15:20 - 27 Dec 2013 17:20 #17100 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Checking pages 17-21

PhracturedBlue wrote: ... Also, the real problem is that Waldo, you, and I are in different time zones, so parallel work is nearly impossible right now.

I am so sorry I live in the wrong time zone. :lol:

I am wondering if the Legal Disclaimer should not be the first item in the documentation, either after the TOC and before chapter 1 or before the TOC like a Forward.

If anyone wants to just read through the manual as it stands 12/27/2013 I exported the entire doc as a .pdf and it may be downloaded from here:

bitbucket.org/bhammerton/deviation-manua...tion10UserManual.pdf
Last edit: 27 Dec 2013 17:20 by WheresWaldo.

More
27 Dec 2013 22:38 #17181 by kreidler
Legal Disclaimer: Sorry, quick and dirty shot. Should be shifted towards the first pages.

Thanks for doing a PDF. But it is looking some kind of empty... I will add tomorrow morning a header with title and chapter as well as a footer with page numbers like shown on the attached PDF.

Just to clear one open point:
PB, have you been able to look after the servo speed item?

More
27 Dec 2013 23:33 - 27 Dec 2013 23:33 #17201 by PhracturedBlue

kreidler wrote: Just to clear one open point:

Servo speed is defined as # of degress per 100msec (assuming a min/max throw of 120degrees)
So a value of 60 will give a speed of 60degrees per 100msec which is equivalent to center-to max in 100msec. Most servos are rated at ~60degrees/0.1sec, so a speed > 60 will have no affect on most servos.
A value of 30 should be ~twice as slow as a typical servo.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2013 23:33 by PhracturedBlue.

More
28 Dec 2013 14:33 #17286 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Checking pages 17-21

kreidler wrote: Legal Disclaimer: Sorry, quick and dirty shot. Should be shifted towards the first pages.

Thanks for doing a PDF. But it is looking some kind of empty... I will add tomorrow morning a header with title and chapter as well as a footer with page numbers like shown on the attached PDF.

Just to clear one open point:

Thanks, I won't have time to do any heavy editing until Tuesday, since we are closing early for the NYE/NY holiday.

More
28 Dec 2013 15:28 #17291 by kreidler

WheresWaldo wrote: Thanks, I won't have time to do any heavy editing until Tuesday, since we are closing early for the NYE/NY holiday.

No problem. Most actual version added per pull request.

For readers please find latest version of the Devo7e/10 here for download: https://bitbucket.org/kreidler/deviation-manual-bh/downloads/Deviation10UserManual.pdf

More
28 Dec 2013 16:55 #17314 by PhracturedBlue
Kreidler,
Please expose your Repo and/or post the fodt files.
It is a huge waste of my time to try to recreate your fodt file from the diffs on the bitbucket page.

More
28 Dec 2013 18:06 #17320 by kreidler
Access level changed from private to public. I thought nobody would use my repo ;) .

More
28 Dec 2013 18:33 #17321 by kreidler
From my side there is only thing missing at the moment:
Some explantions how to install / unzip the emu correctly like asked here: http://deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-questions/2497-installing-the-emu-to-create-models-on-my-pc

PB, do you have some new features or changes which will affect the manual for 7e/10?

More
28 Dec 2013 19:34 - 28 Dec 2013 19:35 #17328 by PhracturedBlue
Thanks. The manual is looking good (though I haven't fully proof read it)

The MainPage config now displays 'None' instead of an empty string on the Model, Battery, and TxPower strings
We should add a picture of the page layout editor

I may get goebish's work on the Hubsan in (which would affect the Hubsan protocol text.

The only other change to the layout I'm considering is changing how 'Move' is shown on the Main page layout editor, but I don't actually know how to fix it, so probably we'll just live with it for this release.

Also, I may add new templates to the main page config if anyone provides some useful alternatives.

Lastly. I'm currently working on redoing the build system. I'll likely set it up so the filesystem and dfu (or exe for the emulator) are included in one zip file, with the emulator ready to go.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2013 19:35 by PhracturedBlue.

More
28 Dec 2013 20:12 #17331 by kreidler

PhracturedBlue wrote: The MainPage config now displays 'None' instead of an empty string on the Model, Battery, and TxPower strings
We should add a picture of the page layout editor

Done

PhracturedBlue wrote: The only other change to the layout I'm considering is changing how 'Move' is shown on the Main page layout editor, but I don't actually know how to fix it, so probably we'll just live with it for this release.

Only possibility I would see is to move 'Move' more to the left. Just a few pixels away from the value of the Y-coordinate and use the small font.

PhracturedBlue wrote: Also, I may add new templates to the main page config if anyone provides some useful alternatives.

I would like to add some input. But I cannot realise this stuff in short time. My idea would be two templates for Acro and Gilder using renamed virtuals as preconfigured mixers like DiffL, Diff R, V-Tail, Combi-Switch, Butterfly. The user can choose one or more of these mixers and add them to the channel. Let's have it for later on.

PhracturedBlue wrote: Lastly. I'm currently working on redoing the build system. I'll likely set it up so the filesystem and dfu (or exe for the emulator) are included in one zip file, with the emulator ready to go.

Perfect, will wait for it.

More
28 Dec 2013 20:34 - 28 Dec 2013 20:37 #17334 by PhracturedBlue

kreidler wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: Lastly. I'm currently working on redoing the build system. I'll likely set it up so the filesystem and dfu (or exe for the emulator) are included in one zip file, with the emulator ready to go.

Perfect, will wait for it.

I just added this.
However, I am not going to change the way nightlies are built. Most folks updating nightlies replace just the dfu without the FS on a frequent basis.
The official builds will now include the fs at the root directory (and the emu will have it in the filesystem/<target>/ dir.
Here are some examples (note that the emulator was built for linux and so likely isn't useful except to see the layout)

DFU:

File Attachment:

File Name: deviation-...7f3d.zip
File Size:756 KB

Emulator:

File Attachment:

File Name: deviation-...bf67.zip
File Size:771 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Dec 2013 20:37 by PhracturedBlue.

More
28 Dec 2013 20:50 #17339 by PhracturedBlue

kreidler wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: The only other change to the layout I'm considering is changing how 'Move' is shown on the Main page layout editor, but I don't actually know how to fix it, so probably we'll just live with it for this release.

Only possibility I would see is to move 'Move' more to the left. Just a few pixels away from the value of the Y-coordinate and use the small font.

We can't use the 'micro' font here. It isn't translatable into anything other than Latin characters. The model name is still not moveable, but if we ever make it so, it gets even more complicated.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds