Documentation Discussion

More
25 Dec 2013 15:30 #17010 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic fodt vs. odt
Oops did a save as rather than save and it came out like this, it's correct now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2013 15:35 - 25 Dec 2013 15:36 #17011 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Checking pages 17-21
As far as cyclic goes, each cyclic represents one of the servos that are attached to the swash plate.

On a heli with mechanical linkages, you have 3 controls affecting the swash plate:
You have fore/aft pitch
you have left/right roll
you have collective lift.

and you have 3 servos attached to the swash, but the servos do not map 1-to-1 with the controls.
On a 120 setup:
the front servo (cyclic1) is affected by collective and elevator only
the back 2 servos (cyclic2 and 3) are affected by collective, elevator and aileraon.
Each servos needs to move in a different way to achieve the proper swash position.

Here's a cyclic setup for the 6ch heli:

Servos 1, 2, and 6 are attached to the swash plate. In FBL, the receiver will take aileron, elevator and collective on channels 1, 2, and 6 and will do the mixing. On a non FBL helicopter, the Tx must do the mixing
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Dec 2013 15:36 by PhracturedBlue.

More
25 Dec 2013 15:47 #17012 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Checking pages 17-21
I want to verify that I understand what you are saying:

Assume top of image is the front of the helicopter.

In the 120° swash Cyclic 1 is simply what the elevator servo does.

Cyclic2 is a combination of what servos 2 & 3 are doing moving in opposite directions.

Cyclic3 a combination of all three servos going in the same direction.

Is my understanding correct? How does this relate to a 120X swash?
Attachments:

More
25 Dec 2013 16:38 #17014 by vlad_vy

More
25 Dec 2013 17:37 #17019 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Documentation Discussion
I like vlad's 2nd link as it has servo orientation diagrams. This would be a great page to emulate in our manual, though we don't handle all of those cases.
Deviation handles:
120 => HR3
120x => HN3
140 => H3
90 => HE3

Your diagram for 120 is correct, though usually the triangles would be flipped over, since the servo is usually to the rear not the front. 120x is the same as 120, but rotated 90 degrees (so the top point points right.

Cyclic1, 2, and 3 represent the 3 servos (points on the triangle), NOT the channels. These servos are connected to the swash plate through a set of linkages. Wikipedia has a good example:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swashplate_%28helicopter%29

In a helicopter, the channels are roll, pitch, and collective or equivalently aileron, elevator, and throttle (though throttle hear means lift not head speed)

In your diagram, for a 120 setup, cyclic1 would be toward the front, cyclic2 would be on the right and cyclic3 would be on the left.

When you move the elevator stick up, cyclic1 moves down, and cyclic2 and cyclic3 move up(each half as much as cyclic1). This tilts the swash plate forward and causes a nose-down of the helicopter.

When you move the aileron stick right, cyclic1 doesn't move, cyclic2 moves down and cyclic3 moves up. this causes the swash plate to move to the right and causes the helicopter to roll right

When you move the throttle (collective) stick all three cyclic servos will move up. this causes the rotor blade pitch to change resulting in more lift.

NOTE that 'up' could very well mean 'down' in the above descriptions depending on servo layout and the swash-plate design.

More
25 Dec 2013 18:47 #17020 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Documentation Discussion
I will study both those links and see if I can come up with a description that would allow a layman to understand it. (I am a layman). But first my daughter and I are going to see The Hobbit.

More
25 Dec 2013 20:49 - 25 Dec 2013 20:56 #17023 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Checking pages 17-21

Servos 1, 2, and 6 are attached to the swash plate. In FBL, the receiver will take aileron, elevator and collective on channels 1, 2, and 6 and will do the mixing. On a non FBL helicopter, the Tx must do the mixing

Hi Guys

We need to provide templates and examples in the documentation for FBL heli's that use:

1) FBL gyros that needs the mixing in the TX as shown above, ie. the Align 3GX with 120deg swash setting on the Trex heli's).

2) FBL Heli's like the small Walkera models (Super CP, V120D02s, etc) that do the mixing in the receiver/Gyro unit.

Both these are 6ch FBL heli's but with very different models
or templates required.

This is my V120D02s model with full Main screen toggles for all Devo8s switches:

File Attachment:

File Name: model5.ini
File Size:4 KB

\Layout Dir: Default.ini with full mapping for the Devo8 switches:

File Attachment:

File Name: default.ini
File Size:1 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Dec 2013 20:56 by RandMental.

More
25 Dec 2013 21:07 #17024 by PhracturedBlue
Strictly speaking you should NOT need significantly different templates for these. If you set the mixer to 'None' a cyclic setup (like the 6ch template we provide) should work fine for an FBL setup like the Walkera models.
Almost no one does it this way as it is easier to setup an advanced mixer without the cyclic conversion. You can see this setup by switching to the 'standard' GUI (which uses cyclic for all models) then back to advanced to see how the mixers are configured.

I'm about ready to cut and run with the documentation. I still need to port it to the devo8/12 and that will take quite a bit of time.

More
25 Dec 2013 21:39 #17029 by RandMental
I agree, but you would also agree that most questions about models are about the smaller Hubsan/WalkerV911 type Receiver/Gyro models.

Very few questions are posted for the 3GX/Beastx/TX mixer configurations, my guess is these are flown by the more experienced hobbyist that understand mixers and Swash plates and can work from the current 6ch template.

Thus my suggestion is also to include a ready made template for these entry level models like the integrated Walkera units that can be used as-is with only scale and channel changes. We would preempt many future questions by doing so.

The same applies to the fully mapped Devo8s Main screen which I propose must become the standard Devo8s layout - apart from being a great indication (marketing tool) for Deviation and to demonstrate its capabilities, it gives a comprehensive setup to work from for users.

More
25 Dec 2013 21:56 #17031 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Checking pages 17-21

PhracturedBlue wrote: I'm about ready to cut and run with the documentation. I still need to port it to the devo8/12 and that will take quite a bit of time.

Line 757 is still too much :) :) . I think you can also get assistance from the folks around here for porting to the color screens.

We could spend much more time to get some parts even more clear or to get a programming handbook for every heli or up to a 6-flaps glider. In general I am very satisfied with the outcome.

More
25 Dec 2013 22:07 #17033 by PhracturedBlue
As I said above, I encourage the continual improvement of the documentation after the upcoming release. The better the documentation, the fewer questions folks need to ask.
For instance, I just spent an hour trying to figure out why virtual switches weren't working because I forgot how I implemented them. 2 minutes of searching reminded me how they work, and why Deviation was behaving the way it was.

More
26 Dec 2013 00:12 - 26 Dec 2013 00:13 #17036 by RandMental
Please remember about the manual RBE and I started, perhaps you can add it as an appendix, or even a seperate doc. It still need a lot of work, but again we believe it is necessary for advance use and support of Deviation.

bitbucket.org/rbe2012/deviation-modelconfig-manual
Last edit: 26 Dec 2013 00:13 by RandMental.

More
26 Dec 2013 10:15 #17044 by kreidler

RandMental wrote: Please remember about the manual RBE and I started, perhaps you can add it as an appendix, or even a seperate doc. It still need a lot of work, but again we believe it is necessary for advance use and support of Deviation.

bitbucket.org/rbe2012/deviation-modelconfig-manual

I would like to help (for the planes only:)) but I cannot open or convert these XML files. The only file which is displayed correctly (for a Windoze user) is the Devo10 manual.

More
26 Dec 2013 12:02 - 26 Dec 2013 12:07 #17046 by RandMental
The Model config manual is the same .fodt format used for the other manuals, and I noticed the Model config manual has been put into PB's Manual repository already.

bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation-m.../English/?at=default
Last edit: 26 Dec 2013 12:07 by RandMental.

More
26 Dec 2013 15:23 - 26 Dec 2013 15:24 #17049 by kreidler
The link you posted is where PB forked WheresWaldo repo.
PB's origin is still here: https://bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation-manual

The OpenOffice / LibreOffice Deviation10usermanual.fodt starts after some control characters with
mimetypeapplication/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text

All three other English files start with
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<office:document xmlns:office="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:1.0" xmlns:style="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:style:1.0" xmlns:text="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:text:1.0"

At least my LibreOffice 4.1.3.2 cannot open the XML files on a formatted base. Or I do not know how to?
So, in this case the file extension says nothing about the content. If you rename file.txt into file.jpeg the content will not be changed into a picture.
Last edit: 26 Dec 2013 15:24 by kreidler.

More
26 Dec 2013 18:32 #17059 by kreidler
Just getting more familar with the mixer settings. Found three things to be clarified and corrected:

line 617:

Speed: Adjust maximum servo speed. Zero is disabled (fastest), 1 is slowest, 100 is fastest rate.

Wrong. Fastest is 250. Tested in emu only but '1' seems to be app. 7 seconds and for values above 25 I cannot see a difference anymore. Anybody to confirm the scaling used and explain the background please.

line 710ff:

Mux:...

item delay is missing. Should be added in line 716 as:

Delay: Delay the output of this mixer when used with a fixed curve. Scale of 100 represents 5 seconds delay. Can be varied by using scale or offset.

PB please correct if not applicable to all defined mixer of the output.

line 781:

Fixed: Output is constant regardless of input (not editable).

should be

Fixed: Output is constant regardless of input (offset editable).

More
26 Dec 2013 18:49 #17060 by RandMental
I open th .fodt files with LibreWriter 4.022 without any issues - that is what we used to generate the document, so your later version should work.

I attach a pdf export of the file

File Attachment:

File Name: DeviationM...nfig.pdf
File Size:198 KB
Attachments:

More
26 Dec 2013 19:03 - 26 Dec 2013 19:04 #17061 by RandMental
I am not sure who and where the masterfile for the devo7/10 manual is hosted or managed - here is a suggestion:

Line 68:

It is recommended to test that this tool works by upgrading to a different Walkera firmware. Several users have had compatibility issues with the DfuSe tool.

I suggest:

It is recommended that this Walkera tool is tested in your environment first by upgrading your TX to a different version of Walkera firmware. Several users have reported compatibility issues with Windows(tm) and/or USB ports when running this tool. If Dfuse do not recognition your TX, try removing all USB devices and restart your PC with only the USB connection to the TX.

Last edit: 26 Dec 2013 19:04 by RandMental.

More
26 Dec 2013 19:07 - 26 Dec 2013 19:13 #17063 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Checking pages 17-21

RandMental wrote: I open th .fodt files with LibreWriter 4.022 without any issues - that is what we used to generate the document, so your later version should work.

I attach a pdf export of the file

Actually, the .fodt (Flat Open Document Text) file should be an XML file as designed by the LibreOffice contributors. We are actually saving a .odt (Open Document Text) binary file with an incorrect extention of .fodt.

Some sort of compression is used in the .odt file as it has been running about 40% of the size of the .fodt version.

Using 4.1.4.2 on two different PCs I can save as .fodt and open it with correct formatting on my Windows 8 PC but when I open the same file on my Windows 7 PC all formatting appears to be gone.

@RandMental, I will make your changes right now and resync my repo.

I am going to try an experiment with the .fodt file and save it as well as the .odt to the repo, we should be working on the .fodt not the .odt file.
Last edit: 26 Dec 2013 19:13 by WheresWaldo.

More
26 Dec 2013 19:32 #17064 by RandMental
Thanks WheresWaldo, that explains it!

I could not understand why is the posted xxx.fodt.txt file a binary file and not a XML file. However I can open both with LibreOffice Writer with all formatting intact.

May I also suggest we add the Legal Status / Disclaimer to the Manuals, eg below is my suggested modified version of the Home page text. perhaps as a separate section or at the end of the Overview:

DISCLAIMER
Deviation is experimental software. There are no guarantees made or implied about the quality or reliability of this software. RC models can cause serious injury or even death if flown improperly. By deciding to use the Deviation software, you are taking sole responsibility for the control of your models. The authors of Deviation will not be held responsible for any injury or damage whatsoever caused by the use of the Deviation firmware. Be careful and cautious.

NOTICES
Deviation is an independent work. The Deviation project is not affiliated, supported or acknowledged by Walkera®. The Authors have never been in contact with Walkera nor have we knowledge of their stance on this project. The Deviation team provides no guarantee that the Deviation firmware will not harm your transmitter (although we do not believe that to be possible). We also cannot guarantee that Walkera® will not make changes to future versions of the hardware, firmware of Dfuse tool which would make it incompatible with Deviation.

LEGAL STATUS AND COPYRIGHT
This project is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

Deviation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with Deviation. If not, see < www.gnu.org/licenses/ >.

The Deviation Project is hosted at www.deviationtx.com and the Source are available at bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation .

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds