Frsky compatibility

More
07 Jul 2015 12:21 - 07 Jul 2015 12:25 #35201 by KataKlism
Replied by KataKlism on topic Frsky compatibility
Ok got it now what you mean.

No i didn't go back to 4.0.1 when i tried setting high pin 9 and low pin 10... the strange thing is that A7105 has this same connection (the one suggested for <4.0.1) but works perfectly with the nightly (> 4.0.1)
anyway, can't be the A7105 since i removed it to exclude it from the causes.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2015 12:25 by KataKlism.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2015 12:24 #35202 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Frsky compatibility
Well, in theory the old connections will work with nightly builds. The nightly builds control those two lines to reduce power usage and inter-module interference. The old connections just wire them to on. But since it's not been tested, best to use the proper software if you're going to change the hardware connections.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
07 Jul 2015 12:27 #35203 by KataKlism
For the cc2500 connections i used very very thin cables (harvested them from a lvds cable)... could they be the cause?

More
07 Jul 2015 12:35 #35204 by mwm
How thin is very thin? I use 30AWG wire wrap on all of mine. IIRC, this was suggested by PB.

More
07 Jul 2015 13:54 #35206 by KataKlism
they are something like 30-36 awg.. not easy to determine... anyway, if you use 30awg with no issue they should not be a problem.
Thanks mwm, i'll let you know if i'll find a short (hopefully)

More
09 Jul 2015 09:56 - 09 Jul 2015 09:57 #35271 by KataKlism
No way to make the cc2500 works with the A7105 :(

I tested all wires and connections with a multimeter and i didn't detected any short.

Originally A7105 was on TMS and worked perfectly. The CC2500 went on TCK and my radio turned off while binding.
So i removed the A7105, leaving the CC2500 on TCK, still same issue, the radio turned off as soon i select "bind"
At this point i tried to put cc2500 on TMS, changed the hardware.ini and tried again... IT WORKED!
After succesfully binding to my d4r-ii receiver i tried to put back the A7105, this time connecting it on TCK, changed the hardware.ini and turned on the radio and....
"CYRF6936 Module missing!"
?!?!?!?!?!?!
what the hell? i don't even got this module nor changed its values on hardware.ini!

Removed again A7105, i wont be able to fly my hubsan but i don't care... i can fly frsky now that is more important.

KataKlism
Last edit: 09 Jul 2015 09:57 by KataKlism.

More
09 Jul 2015 11:12 #35274 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic Frsky compatibility

KataKlism wrote: No way to make the cc2500 works with the A7105 :(

I tested all wires and connections with a multimeter and i didn't detected any short.

Originally A7105 was on TMS and worked perfectly. The CC2500 went on TCK and my radio turned off while binding.
So i removed the A7105, leaving the CC2500 on TCK, still same issue, the radio turned off as soon i select "bind"
At this point i tried to put cc2500 on TMS, changed the hardware.ini and tried again... IT WORKED!
After succesfully binding to my d4r-ii receiver i tried to put back the A7105, this time connecting it on TCK, changed the hardware.ini and turned on the radio and....
"CYRF6936 Module missing!"
?!?!?!?!?!?!
what the hell? i don't even got this module nor changed its values on hardware.ini!

Removed again A7105, i wont be able to fly my hubsan but i don't care... i can fly frsky now that is more important.

KataKlism

Where do you get your GND for both module ?

More
09 Jul 2015 14:50 #35277 by mwm

KataKlism wrote: "CYRF6936 Module missing!"
?!?!?!?!?!?!

You've probably got a CYRF6936 module - it's the one that comes with the Devo. It gets special handling, and you don't need to (and I recommend not) declare it in hardware.ini.

In chasing my CC2500 range issues, I installed three different CC2500s (among other issues causing multiple installs), and it's not at all uncommon to see it show up as missing when the hardware install isn't right. Either because you've screwed up one of the lines connected to it (at least SCK, MISO and MOSI all come from it's header pins) or power in some way, or because the special handling it gets means that some other failure causes it to get incorrectly reported as missing, though the latter is getting better lately. That's probably what happened here.

That said, remember that Walkera doesn't support adding one module, much less two. They certainly don't test doing this. So in any given Devo Tx, it's possible some hardware flaw that's doesn't affect Walkera-supported operation and so isn't caught in their testing will keep some configuration of extra modules from working properly. Given that most people adding modules are happy once they get to a state they can use - including going back to no extra modules - and don't care why some non-working state wasn't working we don't get to completely diagnose a lot of such failures.

For instance, some Devo 10's apparently have extra modules intermittently fail to detect, but show up on a second power on. I know it happened on mine in pretty much every configuration until I added header pins to the test points for power, ground, TMS TCK and reset. And that's still new enough I'm not declaring the problem solved just yet, and hold my breath every time I power the thing on. But if it is, I suspect that one of the test points had an intermittent short that I corrected in adding the header pins.

More
09 Jul 2015 21:56 #35290 by KataKlism

SeByDocKy wrote: Where do you get your GND for both module ?

I got it from for both modules from test points, where i installed an header pin to make easyer (and safer) solderings&desolderings

More
09 Jul 2015 22:06 #35291 by KataKlism

mwm wrote: You've probably got a CYRF6936 module - it's the one that comes with the Devo. It gets special handling, and you don't need to (and I recommend not) declare it in hardware.ini.

In chasing my CC2500 range issues, I installed three different CC2500s (among other issues causing multiple installs), and it's not at all uncommon to see it show up as missing when the hardware install isn't right. Either because you've screwed up one of the lines connected to it (at least SCK, MISO and MOSI all come from it's header pins) or power in some way, or because the special handling it gets means that some other failure causes it to get incorrectly reported as missing, though the latter is getting better lately. That's probably what happened here.

That said, remember that Walkera doesn't support adding one module, much less two. They certainly don't test doing this. So in any given Devo Tx, it's possible some hardware flaw that's doesn't affect Walkera-supported operation and so isn't caught in their testing will keep some configuration of extra modules from working properly. Given that most people adding modules are happy once they get to a state they can use - including going back to no extra modules - and don't care why some non-working state wasn't working we don't get to completely diagnose a lot of such failures.

For instance, some Devo 10's apparently have extra modules intermittently fail to detect, but show up on a second power on. I know it happened on mine in pretty much every configuration until I added header pins to the test points for power, ground, TMS TCK and reset. And that's still new enough I'm not declaring the problem solved just yet, and hold my breath every time I power the thing on. But if it is, I suspect that one of the test points had an intermittent short that I corrected in adding the header pins.

I installed headers pin too, on test points... and soldered 3 wires on sck miso and mosi so that every time i need to, i solder extra wires on this wires, and not directly on pins, where i could easily heat components or cut lines... in fact this is why i'm so surprised i couldn't find a solution.
After all, i think i did somenthing wrong on TCK pin... everytime i use it i got some kind of error. I should remove the board to give a look behind but i don't like the idea right now. I got an installation tha i can accept, even if my a7105 is out of games.. my main objective right now is using frsky protocols and a receiver with ppm and telemetry.. in some way i reached the objective and i can consider myself happy.

Thanks for your help mwm :)

More
13 Jul 2015 09:29 #35399 by KataKlism
Hello again,
I'm triyng to get the rssi signal strenght on my devo 7e, actually without success.
I could send the rssi signal to my naze32 and see it on cleanflight... but when i try to play with the signal in deviation i'm not able to get any value.
in telemetry config all i can see is a "rssi" label plus a ">" and a % that i can change.
in telemetry panel i got the Volt values, the Temp values, and 2 "blank" labels, that i think one is the rssi because i see a 0% when i set it. If i reboot the radio, however, it disappear from the config panel... i'll post some photo if necessary.
How did you guys did the trick?

More
13 Jul 2015 09:39 #35400 by kerzin
Replied by kerzin on topic Frsky compatibility
Hello,
Did you try to flash the Testbuild proposed by mwm : deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/1...rskytelemetryupdates
would perhaps solve your problem ?

More
13 Jul 2015 10:29 #35405 by KataKlism
Hello, thanks, i did not try it.

I will give it a try this evening. Do i have to set something on the model config? or on the receiver (d4r-ii)?
actually it is set on cppm, and the rssi is a pwm output on ch2 that goes directly to the naze32.

More
15 Jul 2015 09:19 #35465 by mazi
Replied by mazi on topic Frsky compatibility
Hello
I have been using my DEVO 10 with XL7105-D03 and nRF24L01 modules for more than one year. I have installed nightly build v4.0.1-a4e6135 to get KN protocol for V966 heli recently and everything worked OK so far. Now I bought D8R-XP receiver and installed XL2500-D03 module. It is wired to TSM together with A7105 through a HW switch. I enabled cc2500 module in hardware.ini file and changed A14 to A13. I can choose FrSky protocol now but I am not able to bind the receiver. Is it normal that when I press the F/S button on receiver and power it on to enter bind mode, bouth red and green LEDs are on? Red LED should start flashing after successful binding according to manual.
I tried to switch back to A7105 module, but messagge "Missing Modules: CYRF9636" appeared which is strange. cc2500 module should be missing. I can't choose DSM and Walkera protocols of course then. Is it necessary to to place HW switch only to TCK between nRF24L01 and cc2500 module?
And one more question. According to module installation manual I should connect only Vcc and PAEN pins to power (+3,3V) but I found somewhere picture with RFC pin connected to +3,3V as well. What is correct? Could it be my issue? I haven't connected RFC pin so far.
Attachments:

More
15 Jul 2015 10:10 #35473 by mwm
When you say "according to the documentation", which documentation are you talking about? The official documentation is at the bottom of the page that the Links link in the Main Menu on the left takes you to. That's correct. There's a lot of old info out on the web. Don't trust stuff you find on a random site unless you can talk to the author and verify that it's current.

The module detection code has some problem, and it will often report the CYRF6936 as missing when some other module is missing. That's gotten better since v4.0.1, but nobody has made a concerted attack on this yet, as it's sort of a pain to work on.

Anyway, you're running a hardware configuration that's not supported. If you really want all three modules in the same Tx, use a multimodule.

More
16 Jul 2015 15:39 #35525 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic Frsky compatibility
Has anyone compared the official addon DHT module to the CC2500, range-wise?
I'm curious if the cc2500 has the same range.
I've been out 400m without any issue, but after crashing into tall grass with part of a hill between me and the copter (I was uphill, the copter crashed downhill) the RSSI alert sounded several times. Is this simply due to being blocked by the landscape or any indicator of low range?

I'm seriously considering to stick the cc2500 to the main antenna and make the internal module secondary with a sideways-laid antenna inside.. the DSMX/DSM2 range just can't compare to frsky. Just wish the receivers were cheaper, or rather, there were cheaper mini receivers with PPM.

More
20 Jul 2015 12:38 #35671 by mazi
Replied by mazi on topic Frsky compatibility

mwm wrote: When you say "according to the documentation", which documentation are you talking about? The official documentation is at the bottom of the page that the Links link in the Main Menu on the left takes you to. That's correct. There's a lot of old info out on the web. Don't trust stuff you find on a random site unless you can talk to the author and verify that it's current.

The module detection code has some problem, and it will often report the CYRF6936 as missing when some other module is missing. That's gotten better since v4.0.1, but nobody has made a concerted attack on this yet, as it's sort of a pain to work on.

Anyway, you're running a hardware configuration that's not supported. If you really want all three modules in the same Tx, use a multimodule.

Thank you for your input. I have already read about different wiring for different FW version, but untill now I haven't known details. It helped to bind the receiver, but I couldn't keep connection :-( I gave up with CC2500 module as I wasn't able to use any other module. I desoldered power +3,3V and SCK pins of CC2500 and disabled this module in hardware.ini file. I could use A7105 and nRF24L01 modules then again, but transmitter shows: "Missing Modules: CYRF9636" and sometimes cc2500 as well which is strange. Should I desolder GND as well?

More
22 Jul 2015 11:12 #35787 by belowtheradar
Replied by belowtheradar on topic Frsky clone RX
Anyone noticed this rather cheap (US$ 10.69) Frsky 8CH RX?

www.banggood.com/DIY-FRSKY-8CH-Receiver-RX-PPM-Output-For-X9DPLUS-XJT-DJT-DFT-DHT-p-987247.html

Please correct me if I am wrong, but since the short description mentions it to be working in D8 mode, I guess it will work with the CC2500 module?

Any idea which is the original model for this clone?

From the description:

FRSKY 8CH Receiver Rx PPM Output Compatible with X9D(PLUS) DJT/DFT/DHT

Features:
- Channel: 8
- Weight: 5g
- PPM output
- Compatible with Frsky X9D remote controller (D8 mode), XJT(D8 mode), DJT, DFT,DHT
- Fail-safe protection , only support third channel protection.

More
22 Jul 2015 11:22 #35788 by stevecox
Replied by stevecox on topic Frsky compatibility

Adelaide

More
22 Jul 2015 11:49 #35789 by belowtheradar
Replied by belowtheradar on topic Frsky compatibility
Thanks for the link. Wasn't aware of this yet!

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds