V202 protocol

More
18 Jul 2013 21:08 #12325 by EArHog
Replied by EArHog on topic V202 protocol
Just got the elek trichity in my cabin last year. Indoor plumbing will be next! So if I can get my 7e runnin', it's all good now. :)

'preciate the point about the Notepad++. I'll be sure to get that.

I'll need to get back with you on the Nano, after I get my Franq back flying again.

Thank you sir! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2013 01:25 - 19 Jul 2013 02:42 #12326 by EArHog
Jason, your instructions were perfect. I am very impressed. I followed them straight through. Loaded your model without a hitch. Now I just need to make a few tweaks.

On the left stick: Throttle is golden. Yaw is where it's supposed to be, except reversed. The biggie is the right stick - it's oriented 90 degrees CCW from normal. That is, forward stick is right aileron, back stick is left; left stick is foward pitch, and right stick is reverse pitch. If rotating the stick movements is easy/intuitive in the menu, just say so and I'll give it a shot. (I'm a bit nervous just to dive in, since last time I dove in unassisted it was a catastrophe)

I'm happy to report that the LED's don't blink. But I don't know how to turn them on, if ever the need arises.

As I was idling/sliding the quad around on the floor to figure out the controls, that little rascal did a perfect flip and it was only 6 inches off the floor. I flipped so fast it was just a blur.

Again, I appreciate your sage assistance. I am feeling optimistic, which is much better than I was feeling last night. :)
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 02:42 by EArHog. Reason: spell

More
19 Jul 2013 01:26 #12327 by EArHog
And it's good to have the Notepad++. The .ini files look much better to the eye than in plain old Notepad.

More
19 Jul 2013 05:03 #12329 by jason4207
Replied by jason4207 on topic V202 protocol
I had a similar problem at 1 point and it was due to corruption (low batteries!!! :angry: ) I ended up starting from scratch. I formatted Tx memory via USB. Then reinstalled Deviation FW, and moved the files over following the directions in the Deviation manual. I used fresh copies of model files from the web, and had to re-do all my tweaks from scratch. I keep a backup now!!! And I don't let my Tx batteries get low!!!

I may have gone overboard, but I didn't want to mess around anymore.

Did you ever save a file after opening it in plain Notepad? I heard that can cause issues.

LEDs should be controlled w/ the FMOD switch...this also puts you in high rates, though, so be ready!

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
19 Jul 2013 06:29 #12331 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic V202 protocol

jason4207 wrote: The forum won't let me upload .ini files, so I zipped them.

There are many model*.ini files uploaded in the model config section. So in general ini-files are not forbidden.
If you use Windows make sure that the files you write are not called "modelXX.ini.txt". The .txt is appended by some editors when you have selected a special file type and not "all files" when saving (maybe other endings depending on the program / selection).

More
19 Jul 2013 07:40 #12333 by minimad
Replied by minimad on topic V202 protocol
Jason, thanks to your informations, I was able to successfully trigger the LED function on my DEVO 10, thanks for sharing your findings !

Now that it's the weekend here, I'm gonna try to make the camera work B) next step will be the flip function, but honestly I can live without it ... for now :silly:

More
19 Jul 2013 13:49 #12335 by jason4207

rbe2012 wrote:

jason4207 wrote: The forum won't let me upload .ini files, so I zipped them.

There are many model*.ini files uploaded in the model config section. So in general ini-files are not forbidden.
If you use Windows make sure that the files you write are not called "modelXX.ini.txt". The .txt is appended by some editors when you have selected a special file type and not "all files" when saving (maybe other endings depending on the program / selection).

Now that I think about it, it may have been another forum that didn't allow ini files. I've just been in the habit of zipping them. No issues w/ txt files over here. I have Windows set to always show file extensions. I build custom overclocked PCs and fix others' PCs on the side. B.S. in Computer Engineering. :woohoo:

Great points, though, for the community! Notepad++ makes it easy, but I'm very conscious of how files are saved. Someone mentioned that using regular Notepad can change some of the formatting in the ini files even if you are careful to save as an ini file. I'm a little skeptical of that, but I haven't tested it yet either; Notepad++ is too nice to even worry about it. I like that I can open all my model files...make changes, save, and exit. Then later I can open Notepad++ and all my model files are still right there in tabs. No need to open every file again 1 at a time, and I can save all my changes to all my files simultaneously. B)

I actually tried to use the Tx to make some setting changes last night for the 1st time...been editing ini files on my PC up till now. Using the Tx gave me some more insight into the code. The picture is coming more and more into focus! :cheer:

Glad to help minimad!

More
19 Jul 2013 14:11 #12336 by EArHog
Is there something I can do to get the Tx sticks straightened out in the FQ model?

BTW, I got Daryoon's model for my Nano last night, and that's working well (except it's way too hot for me in acro). But the sticks are set up properly. Maybe I can (but doubt it) cross-ref between the FQ and Nano models and figure out how to fix the FQ model stick configurations. Suggestions?

More
19 Jul 2013 17:28 - 19 Jul 2013 17:34 #12341 by jason4207

EArHog wrote: Is there something I can do to get the Tx sticks straightened out in the FQ model?

BTW, I got Daryoon's model for my Nano last night, and that's working well (except it's way too hot for me in acro). But the sticks are set up properly. Maybe I can (but doubt it) cross-ref between the FQ and Nano models and figure out how to fix the FQ model stick configurations. Suggestions?

When it happened to me nothing fixed it except reinstalling the FW. After thinking about it, I'm guessing the V202 protocol file may have also been corrupted. You may be able to just replace that file, but it needs to match the version of the FW you are using. :blink:

If you have time (and the balls!) try to reinstall the FW. The Deviation manual does a pretty good explaining how to do it. And of course I'll help with any questions you have along the way. ;)

If it makes you feel any better, I misunderstood part of the directions and didn't install the File System files (didn't realize it was a separate download) during the FW installation. The result was a garbled screen, no function, and when I tried to flash back to stock FW...it didn't work. I thought I bricked it! :ohmy:

But then I figured it out and all was well. :woohoo:

The main reason I'm able to figure so much out about how things work is that if any thing can go wrong it happens to me (poster child for Murphy's Law right here!). I have to figure out what the problem is and I end up becoming so much more aware of the inner workings along the way. Then I can help others who make the same mistake, or if I'm lucky prevent them from making it in the 1st place.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 17:34 by jason4207.

More
19 Jul 2013 17:56 #12342 by EArHog
Regarding reinstalling FW, time I've got. The other commodity, not so sure. :)

Before I reformat, let me try to confirm the need. When the 7e arrived the v202/FQ model worked just right. The Nano QX model had mixed up sticks. Now that I've Daryoon's files the Nano model is straight, and the v202 model is mixed up. So in your inner workings mind, does that indicate a FW problem?

Let me also say, with respect to potential bricking, the 7e was fully set up with Deviation FW, the v202 module, Tx power mod, and programmed with the two models that I own by a guy who doesn't know me, but was kind enough to figure out what I needed, build it, and send it to me. I really don't want to mess this up.

More
19 Jul 2013 18:44 #12344 by jason4207
I'm not 100% sure, but I do know I had the exact same thing happen to me and after I re-did the FW everything worked great.

You can try switching the channels around if you want. Open the ini file and just swap everything that says AIL to ELE and vice-verse.

My little story was to demonstrate that it is a lot harder to brick than I originally thought. I think you'll fine as long as you can keep the Tx out of the toilet. Oh wait...no running water...nevermind. ;)

More
19 Jul 2013 18:51 #12345 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic V202 protocol
Not sure I understood the problem, but if I did:

1. Spektrum (Nano QX) channel order is: TAER
2. V202 channel order is: AETR

Where obviously A is AIL, E is ELE and so on.

So verify your current order and make adjustments as necessary.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
19 Jul 2013 19:53 - 19 Jul 2013 19:56 #12347 by EArHog
@Jason, Okay, thanks.

I won't take my 7e with me to the outhouse either. :D
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 19:56 by EArHog.

More
19 Jul 2013 19:54 - 19 Jul 2013 19:55 #12348 by EArHog
@sbstnp, You may be onto something. Not sure I'm smart enough to take advantage. But I'll see what I can do.

Thanks.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 19:55 by EArHog. Reason: spel

More
19 Jul 2013 20:04 #12349 by jason4207

EArHog wrote: @sbstnp, You may be onto something. Not sure I'm smart enough to take advantage. But I'll see what I can do.

Thanks.

What he's saying is when you look at the ini file you will see Channel1, Channel2, etc.

V202 (your FQv2 ini file) should have:

Ch1 = AIL
Ch2 = ELE
Ch3 - THR
Ch4 = RUD

If that's not what you see then it is obviously wrong. If you do see it correctly in the ini file then there is probably something wrong with the V202 protocol file, and a FW reflash is the best way to go about fixing it, but you can still try swapping channels if you feel so inclined. You won't hurt anything...well unless the FQ decides to jump up & slap you in the face!!! :evil:

More
19 Jul 2013 20:27 - 20 Jul 2013 01:56 #12350 by EArHog

jason4207 wrote:
You won't hurt anything...well unless the FQ decides to jump up & slap you in the face!!! :evil:

It's funny because that's exactly what happened the first time I bound the Nano to the 7e. Much to my surprise, throttle was set up on the right stick, and guess where the right stick was - (hint, dead center in the middle). I ducked. But it tried to slap me. :P
Last edit: 20 Jul 2013 01:56 by EArHog. Reason: spelln

More
19 Jul 2013 21:10 - 19 Jul 2013 21:11 #12351 by jason4207
I've hit myself in the face too many times to mention in public...wait a sec...Doh!

And it had nothing to do with an incorrectly setup Tx, just stupid thumbs as you call them. :S
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 21:11 by jason4207.

More
19 Jul 2013 21:52 - 19 Jul 2013 21:53 #12352 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic V202 protocol
If only the sticks (channels) are mixed up a FW reflash won't solve anything. There is nothing that can break and be fixable with a reflash (well, there are but they are much worse than a simple stick mixup).

My advice is to try to fix the channel sources as I advised above. You should use another model slot, just to have a backup in case things go wrong. Use the "copy to" function.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 21:53 by sbstnp.

More
19 Jul 2013 22:16 #12353 by jason4207

sbstnp wrote: If only the sticks (channels) are mixed up a FW reflash won't solve anything. There is nothing that can break and be fixable with a reflash (well, there are but they are much worse than a simple stick mixup).

My advice is to try to fix the channel sources as I advised above. You should use another model slot, just to have a backup in case things go wrong. Use the "copy to" function.

It fixed my problem, but to be fair I think AIL would only go in 1 direction as well. At first I tried a fresh model file from the web. Didn't help. I reflashed, installed the same model file, and she was back to normal.

Something got corrupted when my batteries went low.

But I agree, check the channel layout 1st. My file is just 1 I downloaded from this website and then tweaked. I never changed the channel assignments and it works perfect on my 7E.

Edit:
Just downloaded the file I uploaded before, and the channels are in the correct order:
[channel1]
reverse=1
template=complex
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch1
scalar=60
curvetype=expo
points=15,15
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch1
switch=FMODE1
curvetype=expo
points=15,15

[channel2]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch2
scalar=60
curvetype=expo
points=15,15
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch2
switch=FMODE1
curvetype=expo
points=15,15

[channel3]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch3

[channel4]
reverse=1
template=complex
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
curvetype=expo
points=-15,-15

Must be something else.

More
20 Jul 2013 02:39 - 20 Jul 2013 02:43 #12355 by EArHog
Something good may have just happened. I was beginning to work up courage to try changing some values in the v202 model, comforted with confidence that I knew how to put back the original file if I messed it up. Check this out...

Per previous post, on the left stick, the throttle is correct, but yaw is reversed. Not really knowing what I was going, I tried changing the Channel 4 (rudder, I thought) value Reverse = 1 to Reverse = 0, just to see what would happen (hoping that would fix the backward rudder control. Guess what happened!!! The right stick that was so screwed up is now totally fixed!!! Wow, what blind stupid luck.

Now the ONLY thing that I need to fix is the backwards yaw. Suggestion?
Last edit: 20 Jul 2013 02:43 by EArHog.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds