V202 protocol

More
21 Jul 2013 10:46 #12398 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic V202 protocol
@jason4207, thanks for providing so comprehensive support. I was without Internet for several days, but you covered this perfectly.

@minimad - if everyone is happy with channel assignment, I can make a pull request so it will go to nightly builds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2013 15:48 #12404 by jason4207
Replied by jason4207 on topic V202 protocol

minimad wrote:

jason4207 wrote:

minimad wrote: SO, after messing with my .ini files, I got LEDs AND flip to work on the devo 10 ! :woohoo:

But still, I can't get the camera to work, and I think this is due to my model profile : It only has 6 channels in "model setup", and the camera works on channels 7 and 8. thing is, I can't change the value using the buttons on the devo, and when I change It to 8 on the .ini file, it still displays 6 on the radio :pinch:

Any idea ?

Which FW build are you using? I'm not sure if it is in the nightly builds or not. victzh posted a custom build a few pages back...here it is again along with the matching FS files which you may or may not be able to get elsewhere right now. If you're using the correct build then post up your model file for a look-see.

As always, make sure to back up your model, modelico, and tx files before any FW changes.

Thanks Jason, but victzh only posted the 7e version, and when I install this one, my devo 10 gets stuck on the update screen :S

I currently am using the latest nightly build (ddf6350)and I'll try to mess with other files (learning by doing :lol: ) until our great Guru named victzh posts the devo10 version

OK, good to know. I was wondering if the updated V2x2 protocol w/ 10 channels was integrated into the latest nightly or not. I want to mess with those trim switches, but don't want to give up my accessory control.

More
21 Jul 2013 15:48 #12405 by jason4207

victzh wrote: @jason4207, thanks for providing so comprehensive support. I was without Internet for several days, but you covered this perfectly.

@minimad - if everyone is happy with channel assignment, I can make a pull request so it will go to nightly builds.

Yay! Make it so!!! Make it so!!! :silly:

More
21 Jul 2013 20:26 #12409 by Damo
Replied by Damo on topic V202 protocol

jason4207 wrote:

victzh wrote: @jason4207, thanks for providing so comprehensive support. I was without Internet for several days, but you covered this perfectly.

Yay! Make it so!!! Make it so!!! :silly:

I'm keen also. Let us know when it is done.

More
22 Jul 2013 16:14 #12432 by minimad
Replied by minimad on topic V202 protocol
Thirded !!!! :woohoo:

More
22 Jul 2013 23:02 #12438 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic V202 protocol
I was just about to build the firmware hoping that the code made it into the nightly. Guess I'll hold off until I get word from you Victzh.
Thanks.

More
23 Jul 2013 01:42 - 23 Jul 2013 02:45 #12439 by EArHog
Replied by EArHog on topic V202 protocol
Hey Daryoon, ol' buddy ol' pal. :) A couple of newbie questions:

On my 7e set up with your NanoQX model, when I change batts in the quad, if I don't restart the timer, the Tx starts to (or continues to) beep at me. My practice now is to toggle the power switch to restart the timer on the quad battery. Is there a way to restart the battery timer without toggling the power switch at each battery change?

Also, I see in the model setup, a Tx power setting. Default seems to be 10 mW. I think my 7e has been modded to have more output. If it has the "jumper cable" mod, is the Tx output fixed at 150 mW, regardless of the display? Or is output actually selectable, as is suggested by the menu?

And finally - man, I've been going through batteries in the Tx like crazy (seems to me). Two sets of AA's over the weekend. Granted, there was a lot of time in the USB drive, so maybe it's not as bad as I think. Question - if I set the Tx output to 10 mW for every model, will that help my Tx battery life? (which would make this question #2a, since it depends on answer to #2)
Last edit: 23 Jul 2013 02:45 by EArHog. Reason: numbering

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
23 Jul 2013 05:32 - 23 Jul 2013 05:39 #12443 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic V202 protocol

EArHog wrote: Hey Daryoon, ol' buddy ol' pal. :) A couple of newbie questions:

On my 7e set up with your NanoQX model, when I change batts in the quad, if I don't restart the timer, the Tx starts to (or continues to) beep at me. My practice now is to toggle the power switch to restart the timer on the quad battery. Is there a way to restart the battery timer without toggling the power switch at each battery change?

Simply long press "ENT" EDIT: press left to reset the timer (works at least in emulator this way).

Also, I see in the model setup, a Tx power setting. Default seems to be 10 mW. I think my 7e has been modded to have more output. If it has the "jumper cable" mod, is the Tx output fixed at 150 mW, regardless of the display? Or is output actually selectable, as is suggested by the menu?

It does not matter which value you select, it is not adjustable. As PB stated here you should modify the tx.ini.

And finally - man, I've been going through batteries in the Tx like crazy (seems to me). Two sets of AA's over the weekend. Granted, there was a lot of time in the USB drive, so maybe it's not as bad as I think. Question - if I set the Tx output to 10 mW for every model, will that help my Tx battery life? (which would make this question #2a, since it depends on answer to #2)

No, if you have made the mod the tx will always have full power drawn from the batteries.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2013 05:39 by rbe2012.

More
23 Jul 2013 05:41 #12444 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic V202 protocol
AFAIK if he did the diode mod and enabled the power amp in the tx.ini, he can reduce the output power and the power consumption as well...

More
23 Jul 2013 13:35 - 23 Jul 2013 13:41 #12450 by jason4207
If you don't modify the tx.ini file then the Tx Power just says, "DEFAULT" on the Tx screen. I'm almost certain EArHog had his tx.ini file modified before he received his Tx. He purchased it pre-modified, and like I said, if the tx.ini file wasn't modified he wouldn't even have an option to change.

It looks and seems to be adjustable to me. I have drop-outs with my nQX at 30mW when I go outside, but when I select 100mW or 150mW it's fine.

I think it will only have full power draw all the time if you remain on the stock FW. Once Deviation FW is installed, the diode mod is performed, and the tx.ini file is modified it appears that the Tx power output is fully adjustable.

The bottom right button, or "L-" button resets the timer for me.

One option for the Tx batteries is to invest in some NiMH AA's. I got some super cheap one's on BG, but I don't recommend them. I found a wall-wart in my closet that had 12V 500mAh output and the plug fit perfectly. I leave it plugged in when I'm connected via USB, and between flights, or if I'm flying inside. These batteries really suck, though. I can go maybe 3-4 flights w/o charging before I HAVE to plug in. But, if I plug in b/n every flight and take a small break, I can fly all day. I can also charge the Tx batteries directly w/ my Accucell-6 charger, but I have to remove the battery cradle from the Tx to do that.

I'm also thinking about getting 1 or 2 2S LiFePo battery(s) (6.6v) and modding the Tx so they fit well, and are easy to charge.

www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__1407...4_Reciever_Pack.html

From what I was reading 1 of these packs will fit with just a little modification, and I think I might be able to get 2 to fit in parallel based on the dimensions. Hopefully, I won't have to worry about keeping the Tx plugged in all the time after this addition.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2013 13:41 by jason4207.

More
23 Jul 2013 16:59 - 23 Jul 2013 17:02 #12453 by Irv
Replied by Irv on topic V202 protocol
Earhog you do have the diode mod and can choose whatever power output you want. Unless you re-installed the FW and didn't edit the tx.ini file.

I also had to go 100Mw on the nQX.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2013 17:02 by Irv.

More
24 Jul 2013 04:11 - 24 Jul 2013 04:18 #12461 by EArHog
Replied by EArHog on topic V202 protocol

Irv wrote: Earhog you do have the diode mod and can choose whatever power output you want. Unless you re-installed the FW and didn't edit the tx.ini file.

There's my good friend Irv! :cheer:

Jason made me reinstall FW using the latest nightly build. The install got my sticks straightened out flying the V202/FQ. I intended to save/reuse the tx.ini file. But this is ALL Greek pig latin to me, so I'm not sure what I've got. :)

Is there something in the tx.ini file that I can look at to confirm .... anything? I will say that the Tx gives me a range of outputs to choose from: 300 uW (I think that's low power), 1 mW, 3 mW, 10, 30, 100, and 150. So if you guys are correct, then I can pick and choose the output for each model.

(man, this is just awesome stuff. I love it!)

P.S. I dialed back output to 10 mW on both Nano and the V202, just to see if I could tell any difference. I have been flying the nQX/FQ in acro mode almost exclusively, so the quad most certainly isn't getting more than about 60 - 70 feet away from me.

And if I may be so bold, I can now say that what I'm doing in acro mode can now be referred to as "flying". (he said proudly) Granted it's still drunken clumsy flying - but flying it is! By Labor Day I should be getting things smoothed out and flying pretty.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2013 04:18 by EArHog.

More
24 Jul 2013 07:37 #12463 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic V202 protocol
@jason4207
I spent an afternoon going through the dimensions of the various LiFe batteries on HobbyKing and finding the optimal one that will fit into the cavity of the Devo7e.

I have finally settled on the 3S Life pack that many people use for the Turnigy 9x.

I will buy two, split it into three 2s packs. Then I will have enough for three Devo7e. For me and two friends. :)

Now just a matter of placing the HK order to see if my research pans out. LOL

Booo...just noticed the LiFe pack is now out of stock. Too slow on the trigger. :(

More
24 Jul 2013 12:01 #12464 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic V202 protocol
Guys,

I am far from my beloved Devo ;-), so can I ask for a favor. I added proper definition for known constants - Camera and Video to V202 module, and recoded it slightly for better code readability. As I can't test this myself, I am attaching Devo10 and Devo7E recent builds (just in case, I built File Systems as well, if you update from very old firmware, it makes sense to update it as well, just don't forget to backup model files and restore them after update).

Could you test them for me so I can make a pull request?

Thanks,

Victor.
Attachments:

More
24 Jul 2013 13:18 #12465 by Damo
Will test on devo 10 in next hour or two, thanks victzh.

More
24 Jul 2013 13:30 #12466 by jason4207

EArHog wrote:

Irv wrote: Earhog you do have the diode mod and can choose whatever power output you want. Unless you re-installed the FW and didn't edit the tx.ini file.

There's my good friend Irv! :cheer:

Jason made me reinstall FW using the latest nightly build. The install got my sticks straightened out flying the V202/FQ. I intended to save/reuse the tx.ini file. But this is ALL Greek pig latin to me, so I'm not sure what I've got. :)

Is there something in the tx.ini file that I can look at to confirm .... anything? I will say that the Tx gives me a range of outputs to choose from: 300 uW (I think that's low power), 1 mW, 3 mW, 10, 30, 100, and 150. So if you guys are correct, then I can pick and choose the output for each model.

(man, this is just awesome stuff. I love it!)

P.S. I dialed back output to 10 mW on both Nano and the V202, just to see if I could tell any difference. I have been flying the nQX/FQ in acro mode almost exclusively, so the quad most certainly isn't getting more than about 60 - 70 feet away from me.

And if I may be so bold, I can now say that what I'm doing in acro mode can now be referred to as "flying". (he said proudly) Granted it's still drunken clumsy flying - but flying it is! By Labor Day I should be getting things smoothed out and flying pretty.

Great to hear you got it sorted bro!

Yes, 300uW (300 microWatts) is very low power. The power steps are in order from lowest to highest.

If you open your tx.ini file you should see a section that looks like this:
[modules]
enable-cyrf6936=B12
has_pa-cyrf6936=1
enable-a7105=A13
has_pa-a7105=1
enable-cc2500=None
has_pa-cc2500=0
enable-nrf24l01=A14
has_pa-nrf24l01=1

Do you see the lines that start w/ "has_pa"? The pa stands for Power Amp, and if you have it set to 1 then the power amp is enabled; 0 means disabled. cyrf is the stock module (used on your nQX), a7105 is the module for V9xx craft and Hubsan X4, nrf24l01 is the v2x2 module, and the cc2500 is another module for Skyartec which I haven't installed.

More
24 Jul 2013 13:34 #12467 by jason4207

Daryoon wrote: @jason4207
I spent an afternoon going through the dimensions of the various LiFe batteries on HobbyKing and finding the optimal one that will fit into the cavity of the Devo7e.

I have finally settled on the 3S Life pack that many people use for the Turnigy 9x.

I will buy two, split it into three 2s packs. Then I will have enough for three Devo7e. For me and two friends. :)

Now just a matter of placing the HK order to see if my research pans out. LOL

Booo...just noticed the LiFe pack is now out of stock. Too slow on the trigger. :(

Looks like it is back in stock now! :)

Are those extra 2 packs already spoken for? :silly:

I've seen those LiPo batteries that look like the size of 2 AA's placed end-to-end. Do they make that style in LiFe? Seems like 2 of those would work well, also.

More
24 Jul 2013 13:35 #12468 by jason4207

victzh wrote: Guys,

I am far from my beloved Devo ;-), so can I ask for a favor. I added proper definition for known constants - Camera and Video to V202 module, and recoded it slightly for better code readability. As I can't test this myself, I am attaching Devo10 and Devo7E recent builds (just in case, I built File Systems as well, if you update from very old firmware, it makes sense to update it as well, just don't forget to backup model files and restore them after update).

Could you test them for me so I can make a pull request?

Thanks,

Victor.

Awesome work Victor! :cheer:

I will try it out later tonight on my 7E.

More
24 Jul 2013 15:01 #12471 by Damo
Hey Jason4207,
I can confirm that the camera, video, missile barrage and single missle are all functioning on victzh's build, but I'm not sure if he wants the mixer 'dest' set to Camera and Video, rather that what channels you defined a few pages back.
Not sure of what I'm meant to be testing. :)

More
24 Jul 2013 15:24 #12472 by jason4207
Sounds like Ch7 & 8 have been implemented. The label is irrelevant, just a name. ;)

If you have full control of all accessories then that is a good sign. :cheer:

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds