Adding switches to devo 6s

More
26 Oct 2015 14:58 #39209 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Adding switches to devo 6s
Ok, I do have a question about the extra trim switches. In particular, we need to add code so you can turn them on/off in hardware.ini.

How fine a control do we want? My first take on it was to just enable trim left & trim right switch pairs, but you might want to make the two buttons instead.

So, is turning on both buttons on one trim switch at once acceptable, or do I need to deal with all sixteen possible configurations?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2015 15:21 #39210 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Adding switches to devo 6s
Let's keep it simple, and just turn them on as pairs. If there is any way to maintain consistency with the Devo8s then I think that might be preferred, but looking down the road I would think it is best to keep the code as simple as possible.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
26 Oct 2015 23:40 #39222 by mwm
This only shows up in one place: the bit of code that figures out what you turned on in the hardware.ini file. If setting it multiple times works, then I can do it with 4 symbols (one per button), which isn't to bad. Maybe adding one for all as well. If enough people complain about wanting two on one switch, that's just two more. But that would be it.

More
27 Oct 2015 00:14 #39225 by Deal57
Then I'm good either way! We got switches! :silly:

More
27 Oct 2015 03:17 - 27 Oct 2015 03:19 #39228 by mwm
Ok, I've just uploaded a new version. This one adds the requirement that the extra buttons be configured. The default hardware.ini has been updated to document how. deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/2...m-devo6-extra-inputs

Having this is going to be a requirement before I create a pull request, so if you could test this and make sure it makes sense, I'd appreciate it. Not clear that there's a real distinction between the up and down buttons on a side, or between the two sides. I used the names from the 8, and just carried that through. If there's an obvious way to set the buttons up and it's that gets the names wrong, let me know and I'll fix it.

The simulator needs some testing as well, but someone who can build it for linux or windows will need to do so. Sources can be found in ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/mwm/deviation, the devo6-extra-switches branch.

Last edit: 27 Oct 2015 03:19 by mwm.

More
27 Oct 2015 23:29 #39269 by Deal57
I will try this new build tonight or tomorrow AM. My switch installation is still kinda temporary while I figure out how I really want them to work!.

I was poking around in the Devo 8 and Devo 10 docs and i'm wondering if there is a chance for one more analog input. On the Devo 10, ADC_IN_10 through 15 are used for Aux4 and the sticks. On the Devo 8, ADC_IN_10-13 are used just for the sticks. On both, ADC_IN_14 is used for the battery voltage. So on the 6 and 8, is ADC_IN_15 (PC5) unused? There is no trace attached on the top, and I cannot locate a via that connects to it from the bottom... but I didn't poke it very hard yet!

I would expect that it would be visible in software? I plan to keep looking at the Hardware

More
29 Oct 2015 19:09 #39350 by Deal57

mwm wrote: Ok, I've just uploaded a new version. This one adds the requirement that the extra buttons be configured. The default hardware.ini has been updated to document how. deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/2...m-devo6-extra-inputs

Having this is going to be a requirement before I create a pull request, so if you could test this and make sure it makes sense, I'd appreciate it. Not clear that there's a real distinction between the up and down buttons on a side, or between the two sides. I used the names from the 8, and just carried that through. If there's an obvious way to set the buttons up and it's that gets the names wrong, let me know and I'll fix it.

The simulator needs some testing as well, but someone who can build it for linux or windows will need to do so. Sources can be found in ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/mwm/deviation, the devo6-extra-switches branch.

I downloaded and installed the new version, but the Hardware.ini doesn't seem to be different than the previous one. I checked to make sure that the version was right, and it's fc236a4. The above link brings me to the download page, but I can't see anywhere in the Zip or file system with reference for the changes. The TX did not recognize all the new trim buttons, and when I tried to go into the trim configuration screen the TX reset every time. I guess if I'm not configuring Hardware.ini correctly then they could be a problem, but I can't find any reference material for the changes needed.

In both this version and the last "-4433285", the button monitor has two issues:
1. the Button Monitor screen has the Right and Left trim button info on the Left and Right side of the screen, respectively. So the Right new buttons ended up under the old Left trim buttons, and the Left new buttons are under the Right old trim buttons.
2.Also, there seems to be some sort of writing in the upper left of the screen over the exit button. I can't make out what it might be.

So I'll keep working this. My two new switches will be here probably by Saturday and I can't wait to actually start flying with this!

More
29 Oct 2015 21:22 #39351 by Deal57
By the way, in my efforts here I've documented the pin assignments used on the Devo6s processor, using PBs notes on the Devo8s. I added these assignments to the STM matrix that documents the pins and intended usage for each processor package. Since it turned out to be one big matrix, I also took a few minutes to add the other Devo TX pin assignments that PB has posted here.

This is one spreadsheet that you can filter by processor package and sort by pin number or assignment. It really makes the process of figuring out what is on each pin a whole lot easier.

I cannot seem to add it to a post, so I've put the spreadsheet onto my googledrive . If you like it can be posted with the other articles, but I can't do it.

More
30 Oct 2015 05:57 #39364 by mwm
Well, the button monitor issues were just bugs - I didn't fix the button test page layout. That's now been fixed, and extra buttons are dealt with properly. Rather, if you don't have them turned on, they aren't on the page. The extra inputs didn't have these problems - one of the advantages of piggy-backing on the 7E code!

Not having the new hardware.ini was just a Doh! moment. I thought it as added to the zip file by the Makefile. Not so. I've bundled it into this zip file. It'll come out next to the dfu & the debug zip.

Aside: I'd appreciate testing by people who don't have the extra hardware added! Need to verify that things are working properly for all of us as well. I'll be testing it that way, but just me isn't enough.

New build: deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/2...m-devo6-extra-inputs

More
30 Oct 2015 13:47 #39370 by Deal57
I loaded this one (9df0f1d) and it looks really good. The button monitor is great, and they all work as expected -- when you press the enter button it exits the screen, is this by design (I think this is because of how the screen moves focus to the Exit icon when you press buttons)? I was able to configure and use the new buttons very nicely. I set them to step by 2.5 and assigned them to Channel 6 and 7 and they can simulate a potentiometer very nicely!

When I get the switches installed I'll let you know how those go. In the meantime I need to try a variety of trim button settings (in Hardware.ini) and work on the multimodule for this transmitter.

Thanks again for your help.

More
30 Oct 2015 16:07 #39373 by mwm
Just a heads up: since the extra switches are connected to pins instead of the button matrix. I believe that they can be used as analog inputs instead of switches. This is something I'm interested in, but will require changing the way things are specified.

More
05 Nov 2015 02:21 - 05 Nov 2015 02:39 #39580 by Deal57
I decided to install just the one 2-way switch because for now I need to have a throttle hold in addition to the other buttons. It is working great! I've posted a photo on my googledrive with the "finished" version.
Deviated Devo6S

Let me know when you've got a way to add an analog pot; I've got some 5k little ones coming in this week, along with some new connectors.

I still have to install the multimodule. It is assembled and ready to install, but I rescued an A7105 that had a lifted connector pad and I want to be sure it's working right before I put it in.

Once I get that installed, I'll run a few models in the coming days. I have a couple of Blade DSMX models and a bunch of mini helis and quads to try. If I run into problems I'll let you know.

Last edit: 05 Nov 2015 02:39 by Deal57.

More
05 Nov 2015 14:15 #39607 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Adding switches to devo 6s
Mind sharing where you found your MOM buttons? I've been looking for some good ones recently.

That 6S looks great! People that didn't know would have no clue it didn't come like thay.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
05 Nov 2015 17:42 - 06 Nov 2015 21:02 #39616 by Deal57
Those momentary switches are Radio Shack, a pack of one red, one black for about $3. They have smaller and larger ones, but these looked about right. I like having a button to use for Panic or flip, and these fit the bill. They are 1/4" panel mount, while the rest are 6mm, so I need to figure out better dressing nuts. Digikey has a great selection of momentary switches if you can navigate their catalog.

The toggle is Banggood. I overspent for some blue switch nuts for the switches on eBay to finish it off, but I can't find them in 1/4".

I have posted a description of the hardware mods on my Blog at RCGroups .

Last edit: 06 Nov 2015 21:02 by Deal57. Reason: Add link to Blog

More
25 Nov 2015 02:33 #40364 by mwm
Well, the ability to use the extra inputs as analog switches as well as switches isn't really doable without a lot more work.

I've merged in the latest changes from the main line, and uploaded a new test build. deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/2...m-devo6-extra-inputs

As soon as you can let me know that this is working properly, I'll create a pull request to get it merged into the default code so it'll show up in the nightly builds - when the start happening again.

More
25 Nov 2015 03:54 #40371 by Deal57
For now at least I can live with digital switches along with the new trims. I can use the trims or my external controller for gimbals or gains or whatever. Besides I cannot find any pots that are small enough to fit with everything else I've got stuffed in there.

I'll test in the AM... Got my haptic vibrating motor ready to install!

More
26 Nov 2015 03:54 - 26 Nov 2015 03:54 #40392 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Adding switches to devo 6s
Yeah sorry about my lack of progress and testing Mike, got a new bub due in a couple of weeks so busy getting the house sorted. Also haven't had a proper flying field for a while so that's put a dampener on a lot of the aeronautical activities.

I suppose I should at least load up the software and confirm that it works without the switches enabled or physically present, I do have my physical switches and a module (and a haptic motor) to put in but as per usual have been trying to decide the optimal mounting position and method as I don't want to drill a hole and then regret it... which means it's be another few months/years... :S
Last edit: 26 Nov 2015 03:54 by RoGuE_StreaK.

More
26 Nov 2015 05:48 #40395 by mwm
Well, I can test those builds on the 6 and 10. But I'd like to know that they at least don't cause major issues on other things.

I'm not planning on adding any of these things to my 6, so the test with them is the one I'm really waiting on before creating a pull request.

More
09 Dec 2015 02:02 #40735 by Deal57
Wow, didn't realize how fast this week went by. The latest test build, deviation-devo6-v4.0.1-9df0f1d, works great with the trims and switches. I could not seem to break anything, the trims work very well, and without fail. The switches work too, and I love the additional functionality.

Everything works as expected, and I can't find anything that isn't working, so as far as I'm concerned it's good to go.

Thanks again for the excellent work.

More
10 Dec 2015 07:47 #40778 by mwm
Ok, the pull request has been created at bitbucket.org/deviationtx/deviation/pull...devo6-extra-switches

I'd appreciate a couple of reviews so I can merge this!

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds