new blue A7105 installed in new 7e, cant bind

More
18 Feb 2015 16:19 #28829 by mwm
Massive rc has the XL7105-D03 in stock . But not many of them, and they are otherwise hard to find.

Banggood apparently has spare V911 transmitters in their US warehouse, and reportedly has people working through the new years holiday.

Updated pictures of the CC-958TG attached. If you're trying to read the SMD's label - give up. It's obscured, and I can just barely make out what's probably "A7105" under heavy magnification. If you can tell it's not the same as the CC-998 in the hacksmods link, please let me know.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2015 16:56 - 18 Feb 2015 16:57 #28832 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic new blue A7105 installed in new 7e, cant bind
I've found something interesting, I have continuity between the data pins and GND when the Tx is powered but none when off, is that correct?

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 16:57 by Cereal_Killer.

More
18 Feb 2015 17:52 #28840 by hexfet
That's correct when off. How are you checking continuity with power on?

You could select a CYRF protocol like Devo (and click bind) so that the data lines are active. Then look at them with a scope. Or a voltmeter on an active data line should read somewhere between 0 and (3.3 or 5, not sure what those lines are driven with).

More
18 Feb 2015 18:25 - 18 Feb 2015 18:27 #28843 by Cereal_Killer
I have the thing filetted open on my bench but powered up for testing purposes.

No scope but yes, I'm getting 3.289v on both the data lines when active. I'm also getting blips from a pizeo speaker hooked to the antenna output of the A7105 (I'm looking for any tests I can do, again no scope here).

I don't mind ordering that PA module but I'd hate to order it then wait for it only to find out its some other issue. Can we be relatively sure I've done all I can with this module and it's gotta be somehow different causing it to not work or are there still some other steps I need to test before buying more parts?

Can anyone tell me the actual PIN numbers (of the ARM processor) that the different analog in's correspond to? I can hook straight to the MCU.

Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 18:27 by Cereal_Killer.

More
18 Feb 2015 18:58 #28845 by hexfet
I would try upgrading to the latest deviationtx nightly at the site previously mentioned. You should get an error message at power-on if the A7105 is not detected, but maybe that wasn't in 4.0.1. The detection code has improved since then for sure.

Since the module works in the stock tx it's not certain a different module would behave differently. Difficult to know if the signals are good without a scope or logic analyzer. The 3.289 sounds suspiciously close to 3.3 so maybe the data lines are not active?

A normal ohmmeter won't give meaningful results on a powered circuit. The voltages and currents in the circuit disrupt the measurement.

More
18 Feb 2015 19:48 - 18 Feb 2015 19:50 #28846 by Cereal_Killer
Ok went ahead and changed over to the newest nightly, devo7e-v4.0.1-92e1705 (that last e might be some other symbol).
It's not giving me any warnings at startup but I still cant "click" the Re-Init button or get either to bind.

I'm wondering if I can hook straight to the MCU pin and bypass anything else that might be connected to that line by desoldering the pin from it's pad and running the airwire directly to it. Looks like A14 is pin 19 and A13 is pin 16? Assuming the dot at the upper right of the chip (when working on the opened up transmitter) is the pin 1 marker.
Looking at it again, the traces from the pins terminate at the programming header, there's nothing else on the line to interfere.

BTW, good point on the regular ohmmeter not being able to tell you that, I should have mentioned that to not mislead someone else in the future... I am using my ExTech DMM which differentiates between the two conditions, still that's not the most helpful measurement but till I can access a scope it's all I got to go on.

Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 19:50 by Cereal_Killer.

More
18 Feb 2015 19:57 #28847 by mwm

Cereal_Killer wrote: Ok went ahead and changed over to the newest nightly, devo7e-v4.0.1-92e1705 (that last e might be some other symbol).
It's not giving me any warnings at startup but I still cant "click" the Re-Init button or get either to bind.

That's not the latest nightly, that's just the last one from PBR. Please follow the link I gave you earlier ( this one ) and get the latest nightly from there. Currently, that's in the 2015-02-18 directory. A lot of work has been done on the module initialization code since the one you got.

More
18 Feb 2015 20:07 #28849 by Cereal_Killer

mwm wrote: That's not the latest nightly, that's just the last one from PBR. Please follow the link I gave you earlier ( this one ) and get the latest nightly from there. Currently, that's in the 2015-02-18 directory. A lot of work has been done on the module initialization code since the one you got.

Ok sorry about that, we're on the same page now.

One thing, I opened the tx file and its missing the first section, is that correct or did it corrupt on download / extraction?

current_model=1
mode=2

[calibrate1]
;Aileron (Mode 1)
max=3813
min=530
zero=2171
[calibrate2]
;Elevator (Mode 1)
max=3549
min=354
zero=1951
[calibrate3]
;Throttle (Mode 1)
max=3698
min=489
zero=2093
[calibrate4]
;Rudder (Mode 1)
max=3867
min=569
zero=2218
[touch]
xscale=197312
yscale=147271
xoffset=-404
yoffset=-20

More
18 Feb 2015 20:15 #28851 by mwm
Right, I need to expand on that.

Once you go to the nightlies, the [modules] section has moved from tx.ini to hardware.ini. You'll want to make sure you delete it if you keep your old tx.ini, then edit it in the latter.

It is crucial that you install the file system that comes with the dfu file!

More
18 Feb 2015 20:24 #28852 by Cereal_Killer
Well now we're making progress!!

"Mising Modules:
A7105"

I'm gonna move it back to A14 right quick...

More
18 Feb 2015 20:40 - 18 Feb 2015 20:48 #28853 by Cereal_Killer
Edit: currently flying the ProtoX, will enjoy it for a sec then go to the V911!!! Thanks so much again!

Ok working with the protoX first.

When I power the transmitter on it gives me "binding to protoX press ENT to stop", meanwhile the protoX's lights stop flashing like it's bound but I have no control!

I'm getting close, I guess I need to start verifying settings. Thanks so much to all 3 of you guys!

Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 20:48 by Cereal_Killer.

More
18 Feb 2015 21:10 #28855 by mwm
There is a bug in the nightlies that causes the bind dialogue to not exit. Just hit ENT and it should go away, and you'll get control after the quad binds. At least, if what I think is going on is going on.

More
18 Feb 2015 21:14 #28856 by Cereal_Killer
I have control over both the v911's and the proto-X's. Need a lot of tuning but they're working.

For the v911 I just turn it on, count to five then press the Re-Init button and it binds every time. The protoX is even easier.

More
18 Feb 2015 22:06 #28858 by hexfet
The 911 does support a fixed id - just ran through it this morning. If you set one and bind then won't need to hit re-init (or power-cycle) every time. Though every once it a while it seems to forget and has to be re-bound...

I did have to move the throttle full and back to zero after binding before it would arm. Don't remember if that's needed every time the battery is plugged in.

To save some tuning time check for model files in the model configs forum.

More
18 Feb 2015 22:39 #28859 by mwm
I've never had to do the throttle thing on my 911. Of course, the 911 had had a number of revisions since I bought mine, which has the original battery connector. My 915 had to have the throttle thing to bind, and supports fixed id, so they may have been changed in one of the revisions.

More
18 Feb 2015 23:08 #28860 by Cereal_Killer
What exactly is fixed ID? I have a pair of v911's, actually I have a pair of proto-X's too, will fixed ID lock me in so each one uses its own model file and I'd have to have different files for each v911?

More
18 Feb 2015 23:46 #28861 by mwm
Pretty much, yeah. It's "bind" when you have a fixed id, as the Rx is supposed to remember the id, and only communicate with a Tx that's using that id - and do so automatically. You "bind" the two together to avoid having to do so in the future. It's "re-init" when you don't, because you have to create that initial connection every time.

However, see the documentation for that protocol for details. And as you'll notice, the behavior may change from model to model, or even with variations of the same model. The latter is generally only a problem with large toy company who mostly sell RTF models and would rather sell you new cheap Tx's for each model than one high-quality expensive one that would work with all of them.

More
19 Feb 2015 01:38 - 19 Feb 2015 01:39 #28862 by Cereal_Killer
Ok man, first off thank you again, this has made my old models all feel brand new, like they're totally different things now! So worth the headache.

Now that I've been playing with it and learning a little more, what I'm hoping to do is setup dual rates for the proto-x (unless this has already been done but I couldn't find it) the little thing just flips so easily when you're not even trying, I need to turn it down for my wife to play with. Does anyone have a proto-x file with DR? I looked in that subforum which is where I got my current file but didnt find a DR version.

I also need to see about adjusting the throttle curve on the V911, on both rates, it's a little laggy.

One more while I got you, do I need to eject my tx usb drive every time I'm done in USB mode or can I just shut it off? I've been selecting eject every time not wanting to hurt it.

All in all tho I really couldn't be happier with my purchase, I'm glad I spent the money on it and not another RTF model.

Last edit: 19 Feb 2015 01:39 by Cereal_Killer.

More
19 Feb 2015 02:00 #28865 by mwm
And that's why I'm a transmitter snob. I pretty much won't buy anything that I can't fly with a hobby grade Tx. And for flexibility, open source firmware. Which pretty much means deviated Devo's or a FrSky Taranis. The 9X clones are ok, but not up to Devo quality.

Anyway, I don't have a Proto X model for you. What I do have is a tutorial that walks you through setting up a relatively complicated 4-channel aircraft. Dual rates, expo, throttle hold, stock mixes, timers, icons, the whole ball of wax. Including using the deviationTx trim button features to make up for the lack of controls on the 7e.

If you don't want to do that, I'll be putting together a Proto X model as soon as I get a working A7105 into my 6s. I ordered one from China that was supposed to show up this week, but according to tracking never left Shanghai. The CC-9958TG didn't work, not sure why. I've tried an older XL7105-D3 that didn't work. I didn't expect it to, but wanted to avoid taking apart my last V911 Tx, which I'll do later tonight or tomorrow. If that fails, I'll be ordering a pair of them from dx.com, as they promise free shipping with one week delivery on the order.

More
19 Feb 2015 02:19 #28867 by Cereal_Killer
Just so you know it's the new year holiday in China right now. Nothing gets done, even mail doesn't move, all this week and next week, some places started earlier...

I order from all the big places in China all the time for my LED light business and I can tell you from past experience with DX not to put any faith in that promise, they've consistently been one of the slowest, always taking upwards of 40 days, Unless you're gonna pay for expedited shipping that specifically states they'll dispatch during the holiday I wouldnt count on it. Even from the "US" warehouse.

Man if you want I'll send you my space blue module that we now know works, you'll have to do some fancy soldering attaching the antennas center pin, it's a tad funky, but I can ship it out tomorrow from Columbus's main hub (my local PO), probably get to you in 3 days. For free of course. Email me your address and I'll have it out. Dan[at]killerlumens[dot]com. It will definitely get you going, it's the least I can do.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds