Devo 12e $75 for deviation fans

More
22 Feb 2017 05:29 #59442 by bold78
Replied by bold78 on topic Devo 12e $75 for deviation fans
Ah shit. i didn't realize the 12 was different... i thought it was just the 12e and f12e. thanks for the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2017 14:04 #60277 by compman2
Replied by compman2 on topic Devo 12e $75 for deviation fans
I looked at the board on my 12E and there are four connectors that aren't used. They are labeled Aux 5,Aux 6, Aux 7, Aux 8. I am wondering if these are activated in Deviation. I just thought this might be a way to setup a six position switch to use with flight modes in cleanflight or inav. Get a six position switch and wire it up with some resistors so that each position delivered a distinct range of resistence. That would be a great add to this awesome radio and it looks like they are already assigned to pins on the mcu.

computer nerd, hobby collector, proud father

More
17 Mar 2017 15:16 #60283 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Devo 12e $75 for deviation fans
Please don't post your questions in multiple forums

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
17 Mar 2017 17:47 #60293 by compman2
Replied by compman2 on topic Devo 12e $75 for deviation fans

mwm wrote: Please don't post your questions in multiple forums

mea culpa - sorry after I posted here thought it would fit better in the other forum. Never again

computer nerd, hobby collector, proud father

More
30 Mar 2017 20:49 #60954 by ramunas
Replied by ramunas on topic Devo 12e $75 for deviation fans- back to $85
Just noticed it is back to $85 at the moment

More
16 May 2017 11:58 #62351 by Gerry
Replied by Gerry on topic Devo 12e $75 for deviation fans
I received my 12e today, ordered it without receiver for $85 but it came with one in the box.

Should I flash latest nightly or Vlad's 5.0.0+protocols?

Cheers

Devo 7e A7105 NRF24L01 CC2500 2x3 way & voice, Devo 12e 4 in 1 & voice.
FFS (Forever Fixing Stuff)

More
16 May 2017 14:16 - 16 May 2017 14:17 #62361 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Devo 12e $75 for deviation fans
There is no answer that applies to everyone. Vlad's build is solid and incorporates all the v5.0 features as well as new protocols. The nightly builds have new features, but there is no guarantee of performance since the nightly is primarily intended to get user feedback for new features and protocols.

With the 12e you can easily add the voice support, which requires the nightly build. That's pretty much the only functional difference if you keep in mind the testing nature of the nightly.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!
Last edit: 16 May 2017 14:17 by Deal57.

More
17 May 2017 01:56 #62375 by Gerry
Thanks for your insight Deal57. I didn't plan on doing mods to the 12e yet for voice alerts, so will use Vlad's build.

More
19 Jun 2017 14:19 #63040 by crash7X
Replied by crash7X on topic Devo 12e $75 for deviation fans
We had some bad weather so I turned my attention to deviating my brand new (some months ago) Devention 12E. Still only $85 - a real bargain, although it is white. I used a 4in1 transmitter module I had purchased around the same time.

I was ultimately successful. Hints and information and panicky questions answered on these fora were invaluable. Here's what I verified/learned:

1. The 12E can use the DeFUse tool and the traditional USB drive interface. I got confused by the F12E model warnings.

2. The Java uploader does not recognize the 12E. It remained "unknown" even as some parameters and addresses appeared.

3. I had bad luck formatting the first appearance of the USB drive using my Macintosh. I may have selected or been unable to fully specify the formatting details. YMMV, but I solved that roadblock by formatting it with Windows under Parallels, same place I can use the DeFUse tool.

4. I needed a newest version of the DeFUse tool, as is noted here somewhere!

5. I needed the 12E firmware, also obvious now that I know. It is only found in lists under the nightly build section of the downloads.

6. In hardware.ini, "enable-multimod" is left commented out, it's not the same as a 4in1. I used a 4in1, way easier than the old days, but no extra antennae to impress the girls.

7. Somewhere I got the name <-> address of A13 and A14 switched, I won't repeat the correct binding, just be advised somewhere someone wrote it wrong… check and double check to avoid the heart attack you feel when deviation reports "missing module" and stalls. For me swapping A14 and A13 in my hardware.ini fixed things up.

Now I see all protocols and await a break in the weather and time to field test. The joysticks are springy! The switches are snappy! I hadn't realized the toll age had visited upon my trusty Devo 10, which will now be a backup transmitter emeritus.

So way easier than hunting down and wiring up three separate transmitter modules. Less than I paid for the Devo 10, which still lists at higher prices. just because it is black? ;)

crash7X

More
19 Jun 2017 19:38 #63043 by llinde
Replied by llinde on topic Devo 12e $75 for deviation fans

crash7X wrote: 7. Somewhere I got the name <-> address of A13 and A14 switched, I won't repeat the correct binding, just be advised somewhere someone wrote it wrong… check and double check to avoid the heart attack you feel when deviation reports "missing module" and stalls. For me swapping A14 and A13 in my hardware.ini fixed things up

The naming and adressing of A13 and A14 depends on how you wire your board, since you are free which module you wire to which address there is no such thing as a correct hardware.in as long as you don't know how you wired your board......

More
19 Jun 2017 21:03 - 19 Jun 2017 21:04 #63044 by crash7X
Not really. One of them is TMS, one of them is TCK. We are not free to decide which is A13 and which is A14. Since they are silk screened as TMS and TCK, there exists an opportunity for mistake. As Murphy knows, where there is opportunity, there will be mistakes. I carefully wired it exactly backwards because somewhere someone wrote down the correspondence of the names and port/bit numbers incorrectly. Equally likely: I wrote them down wrong from some source that was correct. :unsure:

You are right that any of B7, A13 and A14, for example, can be wired to any transmitter chip select pad. Of course it only works when you say the same thing in hardware.ini. I wanted mine to match the wiring I did for the Devo 10. That will have to wait until I have other reason to open up the 12E again. With any luck, I'll never have to and will simply be burdened with remembering the difference, should that even ever come up again.

I must repeat - a beautiful TX, a nice price and even with haste and waste it was easy to deviate. Capital R recommended.

The 12E has passed some rudimentary field testing. Biggest question: how long will it be so clean and white?

c7
Last edit: 19 Jun 2017 21:04 by crash7X.

More
19 Jun 2017 21:13 #63045 by llinde

crash7X wrote: ....
We are not free to decide which is A13 and which is A14
You are right that any of B7, A13 and A14, for example, can be wired to any transmitter chip select pad. Of course it only works when you say the same thing in hardware.ini

I don't exactly know what you mean.
You were talking about A13 and A14 exchanged in the hardware.ini because somebody posted a wrong hardware.ini.
It is only possible to say a hardware.ini is wrong when it is accompanied by wiring instructions that are different which should be very easy to discover...

Those 3 addresses you are mentioning are the only 3 that are significant for the 4-in-1 module, and since those 3 are free interchangeable I still say you are free to decide which of them you use for which transmitter chip.

More
20 Jun 2017 02:58 #63048 by crash7X
Yeah no I didn't say it was a bad hardware.ini: Somewhere in some writing about the matter someone got it backwards. So carrying the incorrect correspondence between A13 and one or the other of TMS and TCK I got it wrong: claimed in the hardware.ini that (say) 7105 was A13, but wired it to TMS or TCK, whichever was the wrong one. Did the same with A14, claimed it was wired for NRF24L01, but wired it to TCK or TMS, also whichever one was wrong. See, now just switching A13 and A14 in the hardware.ini fixes them both, as would have switching the wires around in the TX. But I like text editing better than soldering, and I had already confidently buttoned the TX up again. That's pure folly and arrogance on my part like I was asking for some pesky problem to pop up.

Of course no one else makes mistakes like that!

c7

More
20 Jun 2017 06:38 #63051 by llinde

crash7X wrote: Somewhere in some writing about the matter someone got it backwards.

Still don't know exactly what you mean, but A13=TMS and A14=TCK, this is fixed because it are pin-numbers with description of the MCU, so determined by the MCU manufacturer.
A13 is the pin-number of the MCU chip, TMS is the description of pin-number A13 of the MCU.
And again, how you wire is up to you, also no wrong wiring between those 3 pins is possible.
On the 4-in-1 you can see which contact belongs to which TX chip, so when you wire A7105 to TMS that means you connected A7105 to pin A13 of the MCU and then you have to put the line "enable-a7105 = A13" in your hardware.ini.

More
05 Jul 2017 06:54 #63302 by RubenRC
Replied by RubenRC on topic Devo 12e $75 for deviation fans
Hey everyone. So do you all recommend the Devo 12e? I wanna buy my son a transmitter to use he's grown outta the toy's. I use the F12E and I really like it but it's too big for him.

Also what 4in1 do you all recommend?

Thanks!

Mavic Pro | ARFun 95 | KingKon Tiny7 | Beeductrix | Inductrix FPV | Nano QX2
DEVO F12E | Devo F7

More
05 Jul 2017 07:57 #63303 by Gerry
@RubenRC
The Devo 12e is fairly big (and heavy) compared to a Devo 7e, see pics for comparison.
The 12e is much easier to add the 4in1 module to, just need to plug it in and solder 3 wires. The 7e on the other hand requires a fair bit of work to fit the 4in1.

This is the recommended 4in1 for the Devo transmitters
www.banggood.com/CC2500-NRF24L01-A7105-C...itter-p-1096707.html

Attachments:

More
05 Jul 2017 13:10 #63309 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Devo 12e $75 for deviation fans
If you want both small and easy to add a 4-in-1 to, the 6S is the only option. But last time I looked, they were both hard to find a pricey compared to the larger B&W options.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds