publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?

• rbe2012
  • rbe2012's Avatar Topic Author
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
22 Oct 2013 09:07 #14865 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
The ch1/ch3 topic is also in the gui when displaying boxes / bars and it is annoying there...
How much shall we change automatically?
I thought about adding a new class of sources like "protocol-throttle" (silly name, I know) which can be replaced by the throttle channel of the protocol. This way we could define everything protocol-independent. But this will need many changes.

BTW, I updated the zips in my download area .
The topic has been locked.
More
22 Oct 2013 09:15 #14866 by FDR
I think we should change all occurences...

There was already a debate about such "aliases".
In fact you can do that with virtual channels renamed to "ThrCh", "EleCh", etc, but if a model config file doesn't do that, we still have to change all the channel references...
  • rbe2012
More
22 Oct 2013 09:16 #14867 by rbe2012

FDR wrote: The Ch3 could be used in a lot of places as source or switch. They should be all exchanged, if you want the same behaviour...

Actually I only change the first five channels of the mixers accordingly to the protocol. If one channel is used somewhere else (input, switch, box, timer, ...) it is not changed.

I just have seen that when you
(1) select a new model
(2) load template "6-ch-heli"
(3) change protocol (to DSM)
the resulting mixer is not what I expected to find... ch3 has the throttle curves...
You will get the correct result if you first change the protocol and load the template later.

It seems that my solution works fine only with empty model configs.
More
22 Oct 2013 09:19 #14868 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
I see no option other than to abstract the Throttle (and other assignment names) one level higher and set the assignments to a channel based on the protocol selected. But that would break deviation's ChX principle for assigning channels.

Looks like a lot of work, but probably necessary if we want a seamless protocol change.
More
22 Oct 2013 09:23 #14869 by FDR

rbe2012 wrote: Actually I only change the first five channels of the mixers accordingly to the protocol. If one channel is used somewhere else (input, switch, box, timer, ...) it is not changed.

I just have seen that when you
(1) select a new model
(2) load template "6-ch-heli"
(3) change protocol (to DSM)
the resulting mixer is not what I expected to find... ch3 has the throttle curves...
You will get the correct result if you first change the protocol and load the template later.

It seems that my solution works fine only with empty model configs.

Then I wouldn't implement it that way, because it will make more confusion then solution...
More
22 Oct 2013 09:25 - 22 Oct 2013 09:28 #14870 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
I think it will be better left to better times, not now. Most questions about protocol change related to new model config, now it solved.

When you use ready config, we always know that we need check all switches.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2013 09:28 by vlad_vy.
More
22 Oct 2013 12:12 #14871 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
I am new to deviation but sucessfully flying some small planes and a quad with the DSM2/X on a Devo10 since a few weeks. In general the work done before was really great up to August this year. As far as I understood PB is not active (at the moment). So, I fully agree with you to continue this work.

Yesterday I took a look into the development section by chance and found out that some of you realised an update. Normally I do not care about development anymore :). From my side which is meanwhile the user side only it was very difficult to retrieve the necessary information. I understood that FDR can edit the site and the forum. Please do so and place some sticky threads / pages with links in that manner that other users will be able to follow. Best would be one maintained page with all links to rbe's bitbuckets.

Today I rechecked and I was wondering that the executable version which I downloaded yesterday was replaced by a new one already. All still having 3.0.0 but another hash?! If every day a new nighly will come please mark them or use the version number (3.1.x) or whatever. Otherwise I expect new users will raise issues on 3.0.0 without knowing which version they do have.

In any case I will check the latest build this evening and try to give you some inputs if necessary. Thanks to all for the great work so far.
  • rbe2012
More
22 Oct 2013 12:13 #14872 by rbe2012
While playing around I have found some strage behavior when binding from the model page. Actually I think we make it worse if we try to fix this the channel mapping this easy way without thinking it to the end.

So I believe it will be better to revert the changes I made for #24 and take some time to think about the whole topic.
More
22 Oct 2013 12:41 #14873 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
Personaly my vote is just to call them ch1 ch2 ch3 etc... :)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
More
22 Oct 2013 13:06 #14874 by FDR

rbe2012 wrote: So I believe it will be better to revert the changes I made for #24 and take some time to think about the whole topic.

I agree...
More
22 Oct 2013 13:44 #14875 by FDR

kreidler wrote: Yesterday I took a look into the development section by chance and found out that some of you realised an update. Normally I do not care about development anymore :). From my side which is meanwhile the user side only it was very difficult to retrieve the necessary information. I understood that FDR can edit the site and the forum. Please do so and place some sticky threads / pages with links in that manner that other users will be able to follow. Best would be one maintained page with all links to rbe's bitbuckets.

While I appreciate your suggestion, there are 33 deviation forks today (I've just counted), not to mention the clones. Even RBE has four...
Not to mention, that users probably won't find it in the links either, where I've just put it.

It would be better, if this specific repository would be linked in the original post of this specific thread. The majority doesn't care about testing beta releases anyway...
  • rbe2012
More
22 Oct 2013 14:23 #14876 by rbe2012
I have four? Ok, that's confusing. I easily can reduce it to the one we are talking about actually... just have to start to clean up...

But the tenor is correct. It will be harder and harder to find the most important work. To reduce confusion I have edited my first post to point to the actual repo.
The question of versioning: PB has only tagged very little commits with a new version number. We can break this because only the last is of any interest, but actually we have different versions circulating: 2.1.0, 3.0.0, some nightlies before the last, 3.0.0-c960b8e and now some of mine.
I try to tag my work with a number (and will try to increase it regularly) but 3.1.0 shall be the official inofficial intermediate release...
  • rbe2012
More
22 Oct 2013 14:33 - 22 Oct 2013 14:38 #14878 by rbe2012
Ok, I found out how to tag versions.
My proposal: I call them betas: 3.1.0-beta-XX, start with XX=1 and count them up.

EDIT: looks like this:
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Oct 2013 14:38 by rbe2012.
  • rbe2012
More
22 Oct 2013 15:21 #14879 by rbe2012
Changed to "v3.1.0-beta-XX" with XX always 2 digits.
More
22 Oct 2013 15:24 #14880 by FDR
Nevermind the digit count. If there will be more then 10 beta releases, the number should stretch anyway...
  • rbe2012
More
22 Oct 2013 15:35 - 22 Oct 2013 15:37 #14882 by rbe2012
I have uploaded the first new-named zip-files. They all carry the version in their name.

If we need more than 99 betas I will better call them "alpha" :whistle:
Last edit: 22 Oct 2013 15:37 by rbe2012.
More
22 Oct 2013 16:51 #14883 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
So what is the suggested development procedure? I always forked main repo and placed pull requests for it. I now have a minor issue in V202 protocol which I'd like to fix (transmitter id is calculated incorrectly, effectively limiting id space by 256). I can fork bitbucket.org/rbe2012/deviation-3.1 , but how we can make sure that all this development is propagated back to the original?

Is it possible to ask PhracturedBlue to add you, rbe2012, as a developer to his repo?
More
22 Oct 2013 18:57 #14884 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Answer for victzh
You can just clone or fork rbe2012/deviation-3.1 then make pull requests from your repo to his then it will all propagate back to his repo. His is a clone of PB's with all patches applied so far it would always be the most up to date. At the end if/when PB returns there is a single pull request from rbe2012 to the current phracturedblue/deviation repository and all our work will go with it to the top.

Sorry if I am repeating something you already knew.
More
22 Oct 2013 19:00 #14885 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Answer for victzh
I suspected so, but as I am a bit unsure of the difference between the clone and the fork it was useful. Thank you.
More
22 Oct 2013 19:06 #14886 by FDR
You have to fork, if you want to make pull requests...
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds