publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?

• rbe2012
  • rbe2012's Avatar Topic Author
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
04 Nov 2013 08:00 #15318 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
Sorry, I forgot to mention that "German" in German is "Deutsch". This is the language to test.
The original lang.ger has shorter strings so the crashes are less probable. This is why I uploaded a older version above.
The topic has been locked.
  • rbe2012
More
04 Nov 2013 16:40 #15340 by rbe2012

WheresWaldo wrote: rbe, I will do the same test this morning.

1. In Telemetrieeinstellung when changing Temperatur from Fahrenheit to Celcius the last 't' of Farenheit stays on screen until you scroll down. I believe this is the same in all languages. Would it make more sense to change the option to read C° / F°. As these symbols are universal there would never be a need to translate them. The degree symbol is 0176 in many ascii fonts.

2. When you select long ENT to get to the screen layout, is MOVE in the top right corner really Move in German? I cannot read German.

I did not have any unexpected crashes.

(1): My fault from revising the language file: it's just too long for the label. I have corrected it (but actually not uploaded)

(2): This word is simply not translated (in any language). The translations are longer (besides in Russian and Chinese) so it might not fit (at least for Devo7e/10).
More
05 Nov 2013 01:58 - 05 Nov 2013 02:02 #15352 by Pattaya01
Replied by Pattaya01 on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
I have installed 3.1.0 and noticed the following:

I had to reverse "Elevator" for my Bixler so up is up and down is down. However, when I trim, I push trim button up, but the plane goes down. So the stick movements have been reversed as they should, but the trim is still normal, not reversed.

Devo12S
Last edit: 05 Nov 2013 02:02 by Pattaya01.
More
05 Nov 2013 02:29 #15353 by Kdean
Replied by Kdean on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
Patta, that sounds normal for a plane. You might be confusing elevator function of the plane with pitch on a heli. With planes, down elev / stick up makes the plane fly down.
More
05 Nov 2013 05:31 #15354 by lasakro
Replied by lasakro on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?

rbe2012 wrote: Sorry, I forgot to mention that "German" in German is "Deutsch". This is the language to test.
The original lang.ger has shorter strings so the crashes are less probable. This is why I uploaded a older version above.

I was thinking the problem was probably between the seat and the transmitter. Yes it's still a mess. Resets though-out the model config menus. If there is a better location for this conversion like Translations > German new forum I would be happy to get more specific on the details to help out. Just let me know.
More
05 Nov 2013 06:07 - 05 Nov 2013 06:22 #15355 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
RBE, I think it related to outdated strings in 'lang.ger.txt'. Probably, it's the same case I had when used latest language file with older firmware, it result in crashes.

File 'lang.ger' for Devo10 without outdated strings

File Attachment:

File Name: lang_ger.zip
File Size:2 KB

Can anybody try this file with latest beta firmware?
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2013 06:22 by vlad_vy.
  • rbe2012
More
05 Nov 2013 06:18 #15356 by rbe2012
I decided to rework the string usage completely. I still don't know which way is best (I see four alternatives) and make some experiments.
The issue is that in many cases the strings used do not fit in the memory which is reserved for these. Due to a reduction of code size there is not so much boundary checking in deviation so we have to care for this while writing the code.
Unfortunately the translations make things worse because while programming we can't foresee how long the translations could be (even more with UTF-8-using languages like Russian, Chinese, Taiwanese...).
So the problem is identified and we can be lucky that the effects occur quite seldom and only in special circumstances.

I think I actually don't need more tests on this. When I have finished reworking, I need more extensive tests of every function. But this is the last real issue so we can go into the real testing phase before releasing the 3.1 without beta.

Thanks for all who helped getting rid of this issue. I am sure I can count on you for the next stage...
More
05 Nov 2013 20:25 - 05 Nov 2013 20:40 #15362 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
RBE started the rework already. For all interested persons not knowing the German or other languages I attached a simple English_Crashtest language. All words remain English except for three definitions where I added numbers after the string itself. Simulating crashes will be very easy on a Devo10:

File Attachment:

File Name: lang.cra.txt
File Size:5 KB

1. Just download this file and put it into the language dir on your TX.
  2. Switch on the TX (again), goto 'Transmitter config' and change the Language to 'English_Crashtest'.
  3. Power down and up again the Tx.
  • C1 Goto 'Transmitter config' and press 'DN' 3 times. After 1 Second Tx will beep and go back to main page.
  • C2 Goto 'Model menu' - 'Model setup' - after choosing 'Copy to' an empty model list will be displayed and Tx goes back to main page.
  • C3 Only with Advanced GUI when choosing 'Load...' a damaged model list will be shown.

Switch on USB drive again and in edit tx.ini 'language=0' because you cannot change the Language in the Tx anymore.

Please post your results.
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2013 20:40 by kreidler.
More
06 Nov 2013 01:05 - 06 Nov 2013 01:14 #15365 by Pattaya01

Kdean wrote: Patta, that sounds normal for a plane. You might be confusing elevator function of the plane with pitch on a heli. With planes, down elev / stick up makes the plane fly down.

I found the reason. In the Mixer menu I wrongly put the Scale to -100 instead of + 100.

Sorry to have bothered you guys. :blush:
Last edit: 06 Nov 2013 01:14 by Pattaya01.
  • rbe2012
More
07 Nov 2013 11:18 #15411 by rbe2012
I have uploaded a new version 3.1.0-beta-10 in my repo.
There are major changes concerning the string management in the whole gui code. The reason for the changes were Devo10-resets which were initially connected with special translations / language files. Later it became apparent that in the code are some problems with strings: they were stored at a place which was not big enough so other data was overwritten.
I tested some variants to solve this and at last I invented a new store for strings which is long enough for everything what I have seen in the code and came into my mind.
I tested many things and found no issues (like crashes, shortened strings, demolished text output on screen...), but I surely haven't tested everything.
And I can not determine if everything is correct in some languages (esp. those where I can not even read the letters like Russian, Taiwanese and Chinese).

I would invite everybody for testing, esp. Devo10-users which should test also with the crashtest-languagefile from kreidler above.

Please tell me if you find any issues (here or as an issue in my repo). From my point of view this could be one of the last betas before we provide 3.1.

I have heard nothing about the actual state of reworking the docs. There will be no more changes to the user interface I guess.
More
07 Nov 2013 14:41 - 07 Nov 2013 14:42 #15414 by Pattaya01
I will install the beta 10 tomorrow morning on the devo12s and let you know the result. I've been testing the previous version for a few days now and couldn't find any issues...

Looks very promising.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2013 14:42 by Pattaya01.
  • rbe2012
More
07 Nov 2013 14:44 #15415 by rbe2012
You can put your toggles in mymedia/toggle3.bmp with this version and have fun...
More
07 Nov 2013 14:52 #15416 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
I'll do testing on the Devo8s this weekend
More
07 Nov 2013 15:29 #15417 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
I have used BETA 8 without any issues, I will test out beta 10 in my next flight this weekend.
More
07 Nov 2013 15:35 #15418 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?

rbe2012 wrote: ...

I have heard nothing about the actual state of reworking the docs. There will be no more changes to the user interface I guess.

I was kind of waiting until we were pretty stable to start working on the docs. I will be looking it over on the weekend when I have more time. It will be bit easier now that I have seen how the code works. I am also open to suggestions about what should and shouldn't be included.

My first pass will be to clarify the existing documentation before actually adding new sections.
  • rbe2012
More
07 Nov 2013 15:54 #15419 by rbe2012
I will go through the docu and point out where substantial changes are made so we can give priorities to the chapters to rework or write new.
The biggest part will be a complete new description of the new GUI and the interchanging of model configs.
More
07 Nov 2013 19:02 #15424 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
Used fresh download of beta10 dfu on Devo10 with no difference when using the long strings. Still crashing back to main page. Sorry.
More
08 Nov 2013 00:39 #15427 by lasakro
Replied by lasakro on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
Using the German file that came with Beta 10 I spend about 15 minutes blindly going through the menus on the Devo 10 changing anything I could, saving and had no resets.
More
08 Nov 2013 01:01 #15429 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
I spot that there is a range check feature in this version. Where can I find the entry point of this function?
More
08 Nov 2013 01:17 #15430 by Pattaya01

rbe2012 wrote: You can put your toggles in mymedia/toggle3.bmp with this version and have fun...

Early Christmas present. :woohoo: It works. Will continue play for a few hours and let you know the result.
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds