publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?

• rbe2012
  • rbe2012's Avatar Topic Author
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
23 Nov 2013 19:11 #15756 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?

HappyHarry wrote: sorry it's a devo7e, ...a small cluster of pixels that move up and down the curve following the movement of the stick. this doesn't happen anymore on the dual rates screen, but still works ok on the throttle and pitch curve screens

Ok, I see. It's the same in the 7e emulator so I can check this.
The topic has been locked.
More
24 Nov 2013 09:27 - 24 Nov 2013 09:27 #15761 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?

rbe2012 wrote:

blackmoon wrote: ...hubsanX4_2.bmp won't work (to many letters ?)

Only 8 characters are allowed. I am actually not sure if they can be uppercase.

It is funny, or might be a misunderstanding only:

HubsanX4_2.bmp is displayed as a quad on the Devo correctly. Only in the select box the name has been shortened to HUBSAN~1.BMP. I get a black screen when choosing the other HubsanX4.bmp.

I tried again with all the models but I was not able to reproduce again.

@rbe: I do not know what kind of information will be read when accessing the model load page. Is it the model name only or will the complete data be read? The only common thing (compared with my models) is that we have both spaces in the first line of the ini for some names.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2013 09:27 by kreidler.
  • rbe2012
More
24 Nov 2013 10:27 #15764 by rbe2012

rbe2012 wrote:

HappyHarry wrote: sorry it's a devo7e, ...a small cluster of pixels that move up and down the curve following the movement of the stick. this doesn't happen anymore on the dual rates screen, but still works ok on the throttle and pitch curve screens

Ok, I see. It's the same in the 7e emulator so I can check this.

I have fixed this in my repo (if you pull: use "default" branch).
It happened also in color screens (where an additional issue occurred; fixed also).
  • rbe2012
More
24 Nov 2013 10:46 #15765 by rbe2012

kreidler wrote:

rbe2012 wrote: Only 8 characters are allowed. I am actually not sure if they can be uppercase.

It is funny, or might be a misunderstanding only:

HubsanX4_2.bmp is displayed as a quad on the Devo correctly. Only in the select box the name has been shortened to HUBSAN~1.BMP. I get a black screen when choosing the other HubsanX4.bmp.

Ok, I was wrong.

Although you can use all standard Windows file names in the USB drive the implementation in Deviation only understands the old 8.3 format for file names. If file names are too long or use characters which can not be interpreted in ASCII (utf-8) the file name is translated to a valid 8.3 representation which is stored in the file system (this is made by Windows! or whatever you use to work on the USB file system) and what Deviation can read (and work with).
Sometimes names are not displayed correctly. I named a model icon file "bigbät.bmp" which has the correct ending and appears in the list, but was displayed as "BIGBB" (without ending!). But I could select and use it.

So there is a difference between the files which are found (all with .bmp at the end) and how they are displayed in the list (8.3-representation). Every file should be shown (maybe with strange names) and if so, it can be used although the name might look strange.
But you are really limited and will not be glad with file names like fbl-he~1..bmp, fbl-he~2.bmp and so on. I recommend putting all information in the first 8 characters...
More
24 Nov 2013 11:09 #15768 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
Used beta11 for today's flight, no problem found.

D8S with devo and dsmx protocol
More
24 Nov 2013 12:03 #15770 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?

rbe2012 wrote:
I have fixed this in my repo (if you pull: use "default" branch).
It happened also in color screens (where an additional issue occurred; fixed also).

Thanks for the quick work, I went back to pb's repo as something kept going wrong, after setting up a model then coming out of the model setup, then going back in to adjust the dual rates or throttle curves it would come up with an error about the model ini file. But when checking the ini in a text editor (gedit) there was nothing wrong. I will build from your repo when I get home from the field tonight and test again.

Phil
More
24 Nov 2013 16:08 - 24 Nov 2013 16:12 #15773 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Newest commits
rbe, please don't make this an issue.

I synchronized my local repo with yours and wanting to test all your new commits, merged every branch you have into the local. When I try to compile (make release clean) the make fails at devo10.
 + Compiling 'pages/128x64x1/standard/drexp_page.c'
In file included from pages/128x64x1/standard/drexp_page.c:23:0:
pages/128x64x1/standard/../../common/standard/_drexp_page.c: In function 'PAGE_D
rExpCurvesEvent':
pages/128x64x1/standard/../../common/standard/_drexp_page.c:143:13: error: subsc
ripted value is neither array nor pointer nor vector
pages/128x64x1/standard/../../common/standard/_drexp_page.c:144:13: error: subsc
pages/128x64x1/standard/../../common/standard/_drexp_page.c:145:13: error: subsc
make[1]: *** [objs/devo10/drexp_page.o] Error 1
make: *** [release] Error 2

Like I said, this is not a bug, it is something in my repo, and I am just testing. So my question is how far has this been tested and how far back should I go to merge your newest changes? or maybe I just forgot to merge a specific commit, although I am using Tortoise and did a one-way sync with your repo?
Last edit: 24 Nov 2013 16:12 by WheresWaldo.
  • rbe2012
More
24 Nov 2013 16:49 #15774 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Newest commits
I run out of time actually but in 2 or 3 hours I will publish beta-12 where this issue is fixed (in 91243a6).
I pushed it to my repo if you want to take a look. I will explain more later and upload the zip files.
More
24 Nov 2013 17:22 #15775 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Newest commits

rbe2012 wrote: I run out of time actually but in 2 or 3 hours I will publish beta-12 where this issue is fixed (in 91243a6).
I pushed it to my repo if you want to take a look. I will explain more later and upload the zip files.

Sorry I jumped ahead of you, Sunday afternoons and Monday's are the only days I have to do anything with Deviation as my wife and I own a small bicycle shop and I have to work here six days a week.

I'll do another sync early this evening to see what Beta 12 looks like.

BTW, the reason I pull into my own repo is that I have some things I am experimenting with in the templates and default ini files that do not exist in the repo and until they are really useful I don't want to send them to ask you for a pull request. It has more to do with esthetics and usage rather than actual firmware stuff.
More
24 Nov 2013 18:41 #15778 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?

kreidler wrote: It is funny, or might be a misunderstanding only:

I tried again with all the models but I was not able to reproduce again.

You are right, I have that to on mine, I remember now, having put the "hubsanX2.bmp" on the model file, then it wasn't showing on the tx.

I then uploaded the x4_2 icon and choose that one on the tx interface.

I really need to clean up my filesystem on the devo 10.

As a side note, I tried various times yesterday, to make the 10 reboot, followed my own steps but no reboot, tried others combinations and still no reboot... :dry:

I'm now thinking it has something to do with the compiled fw + hisky patch or hardware issue with the 10.

As I keep having the choices jump one or two rows when using dn/up keys, like if the buttons debounce doesn't work as expected.

Strange thing is with the nightlies on the 3.0 trunk, I never experienced any reboot.

I'll continue to investigate, for starters I'll try the "official" beta version.
  • rbe2012
More
24 Nov 2013 20:01 #15779 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic intermediate release 3.1.0 - new: beta-12
Today I have finished the work at two things I have separated a bit by branching. Now they are ready and I decided to integrate them in the next beta.
I had to do some cleaning up but now everything is fine (as far as I have seen yet...).
The changes since the last beta-11:
(1) The clock config page (RTC; only for Devo12) is completely reworked. It allows to set time and date. I have added some different date formatting so everybody can choose the one she/he likes most: "YYYY-MM-DD", "MM/DD/YYYY", "DD.MM.YYYY", "Mon DD YYYY", "DD. Mon YYYY" and "DD.MM.YY" ("Mon" = abbreviated month; "Mon DD YYYY" is the American format, "DD. Mon YYYY" is German; both are actually not translatable). If the time and date are used in big boxes the format is fix to 24 hour format and DD.MM.YY (without century) because AM/PM or longer dates do not fit into the boxes. For small boxes all formats are possible. [My previous approach with translatable format strings was too complicated and a little bit overdone so I decided to use the fixed formats. If some are missing: tell me]
(2) Permanent timers can be set to a value the user can choose. This value can be set as new value or added to the old value. This is for allowing the timers of two transmitters put together if models are flown with both and the permanent timers count separately. This is not available on Devo7e - I ran out of memory and disabled this feature.
(3) Model configs are only saved when another model is loaded or the tx is shut down. Earlier they were also saved when the name was changed (but not when it was automatically changed from "NONE" to "ModelXX"); later I added savings when the name or the icon were changed to solve issues with displaying the model list (for load...). After some (very short) discussion in the forum I implemented the consistent and predictable method.
(4) Some enhancements of the screen design especially for Devo12 were done: centered dialogs, channel reorder list uses full height, load model list witch changed places for list and icon, avoid useless scrollbar in toggle select page and some more.
(5) For color screens (Devo6, 8 and 12) model icons can have another size than previously: only 96x96 pixels were allowed. Now nearly every size is possible. The model icon element on the main screen is moved up and to the left if a bigger icon is chosen so that it would not fit on the screen. The new size is displayed on the main layout page also. The complete model icon area (and only this) can be used to get into the model config screens.
(6)For the RTC config I implemented a new class of textselect elements where the arrows are above and beyond the number / value. This makes changing the values easier in my eyes. These textselect elements are only available for Devo12 (actually).
(7) Some bugfixes: LCD boundary checking in emulators, reset timer works now for all timers (not only 1+2), in standard mixer on dr/expo page the cursor moves with all curves.

What is next:
Testing (as always): please check esp. the Devo10 version for reboots. There are some changes in the area where reboots were reported (model load page) which revert earlier changes (and solve things different) so the problems may be gone.

I still have some issues open (see in my repo), but I am not sure what can be solved in the near future. The focus is on those concerning the stability.
Some protocol enhancements were done from different people and I tend to integrate them, if they do not influence what is inside now.

I'll go on uploading the beta-12 files. I will upload the Windows versions of the emulators too if someone wants to look at other tx.
  • rbe2012
More
24 Nov 2013 20:13 #15780 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic intermediate release 3.1.0 - new: beta-12
The question for versions in my repo came up.
I use the repo to save my work - so not everything uploaded as a new commit in my repo is fully tested. Often I write in the comments what I have done and you can see if I have checked all tx or only some.
I try only to check in versions which are stable, but I am not free of mistakes and especially when I concentrated on one task I feel happy when I have finished what I wanted to do and can not check for side effects at the same time.

Those versions I call a beta have tested for everything what I have worked on. I make sure that everything works as expected and esp. other tx are not affected. So I have a good feeling when I am at the point to publish a new beta. Of course they will not be free of errors but I try my best.

Conclusion: if you find any issues with the betas please report them - I am very interested and the best you can do is to file an issue in my repo at bitbucket. If you find issues in other versions I am also interested to hear about; you can also file tickets for them but please tell exactly which version / commit you used.
More
24 Nov 2013 22:07 #15781 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?

blackmoon wrote: As a side note, I tried various times yesterday, to make the 10 reboot, followed my own steps but no reboot, tried others combinations and still no reboot... :dry:
I'm now thinking it has something to do with the compiled fw + hisky patch or hardware issue with the 10.

Do not be disappointed ;) . I was able to reproduce at least something similar with several models not only your hubsan on our evening indoor session. Only your description differs a bit to what I produced. Just tested with the emu even the emu crashes completely with "Module not defined!"! @rbe: We are still talking about offical beta11. Tomorrow I will test with beta12.
Steps for crash:
  1. Copy the attached model to your fs. and/or rename it if necessary
  2. Have any model loaded.
  3. Have all sticks in middle position.
  4. Load the hubsan.
  5. Message box appear that 'safe value = -100%'.
  6. Do not press ENT. Move the stick back only!!
  7. No focus on 'Load' anymore.
  8. Press EXT to get back into 'Model menu' and press ENT afterwards.
  9. Few seconds long 'Model Setup' only will be displayed. Crash follows.
If you just press once 'DN' after point 6 focus is set to "Load" and no crash will happen.
Attachments:
More
24 Nov 2013 23:09 #15783 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Beta 12 new issue #69
Some selection boxes now draw too small in the following screen:

Model setup
Timers
Datalog
Mixer -> Source
Mixer -> Type

Okay, there are issues with every screen, some are artifacts under the items, others are the small boxes. I have opened an issue on your repo.
More
24 Nov 2013 23:20 - 25 Nov 2013 00:07 #15785 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Beta 12 new issue #70
Devo10_beta12, once you move away from DEVO protocol on the Model setup screen you cannot move it again. Steps to reproduce:
  1. Press ENT
  2. Select Model menu
  3. Select Model setup
  4. Scroll to DEVO
  5. Press left to display NONE
Now you cannot scroll to any other protocol.

This is an issue in the emulators too. Both the 7e and 10 exhibit the same symptoms.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2013 00:07 by WheresWaldo.
More
25 Nov 2013 04:32 - 25 Nov 2013 04:34 #15789 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
Build beta12 31763f1f1a52

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Nov 2013 04:34 by vlad_vy.
More
25 Nov 2013 05:13 - 25 Nov 2013 05:32 #15790 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic publishing an intermediate release 3.1.0?
Not translated (and bold font, not translatable), 'value to set' and 'actual time'.

Doesn't fit (russian minutes and seconds). Also, will be nice to add more vertical space between time values (actual, set, result).

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Nov 2013 05:32 by vlad_vy.
  • rbe2012
More
25 Nov 2013 08:26 #15793 by rbe2012

kreidler wrote: Steps for crash:

1. Copy the attached model to your fs. and/or rename it if necessary
  2. Have any model loaded.
  3. Have all sticks in middle position.
  4. Load the hubsan.
  5. Message box appear that 'safe value = -100%'.
  6. Do not press ENT. Move the stick back only!!
  7. No focus on 'Load' anymore.
  8. Press EXT to get back into 'Model menu' and press ENT afterwards.
  9. Few seconds long 'Model Setup' only will be displayed. Crash follows.
If you just press once 'DN' after point 6 focus is set to "Load" and no crash will happen.

Thanks for the exact description. The beta-12 emu crashes also. I can work with this.
  • rbe2012
More
25 Nov 2013 08:58 #15794 by rbe2012
I fixed the issues described above (strange textboxes in Devo8, too small textboxes in Devo10, textselect: only left arrow works). This were all errors resulting from the deactivation of the textselect_vert_64 boxes where I mixed up the conditions...

I try to find the error kreidler described and make new betas.
  • rbe2012
More
25 Nov 2013 09:15 #15795 by rbe2012

kreidler wrote:

1. Load the hubsan.
  2. Message box appear that 'safe value = -100%'.
  3. Do not press ENT. Move the stick back only!!

Looks as if the condition "module is installed" is checked later than the safety settings - otherwise it should not appear when a model is loaded which uses a module what is not installed.
I will make some tests...
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds