Devo 10/7E small UI (updated 1st post)

More
05 Jan 2014 17:17 #17998 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
I've started looking over your changes. So far things look pretty well thought out, though I am concerned with all the '+1' in the label.c and listbox.c (as well as the removal of them sprinkled through the page code)

Why did you remove the 'Revert' button on the Limits page? It is not obvious to most people how to get the values back the way there were if they screw something up since that page is live.

There appear to be some font changes in chantest_page.c that I'm not sure will work with the default layout

One thing you can do that would make it a lot easier for me to review the code would be to
#define ITEM_HEIGHT (Display.metrics.line_height)
and not replace every occurrence of ITEM_HEIGHT individually.
Then I could tell more easily what you actually changed vs what is just a substitution.

I don't like the removal of the section headers in tx_configure.c

I haven't reviewed the changes to the mixer_page yet.

But it definitely looks like with a bit more work, we can get this merged to the trunk.

As far as the telemetry page goes, the easiest answer is probably to create a new font-desc for the label boxes. Then we can have them be boxed or not as per the config.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2014 17:36 - 05 Jan 2014 17:43 #17999 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)

PhracturedBlue wrote: I've started looking over your changes. So far things look pretty well thought out, though I am concerned with all the '+1' in the label.c and listbox.c (as well as the removal of them sprinkled through the page code)

Thanks for taking the time. I still have to figure out a way of making it look good at low font sizes. Those +1 are experiments so far, aligning text up or down, etc.

Here is where I want opinions.

Why did you remove the 'Revert' button on the Limits page? It is not obvious to most people how to get the values back the way there were if they screw something up since that page is live.

UX wise I think having the button and the first object on the page doing the same thing was redundant. I personally don't care much, so I can bring it back if you or people request it.

There appear to be some font changes in chantest_page.c that I'm not sure will work with the default layout

It worked for me using both fonts, but will take another look.

One thing you can do that would make it a lot easier for me to review the code would be to

Then I could tell more easily what you actually changed vs what is just a substitution.

Yeah but that would require a recompile to change the font so it defeats the purpose.

I don't like the removal of the section headers in tx_configure.c

Will bring them back.

I haven't reviewed the changes to the mixer_page yet.

But it definitely looks like with a bit more work, we can get this merged to the trunk.

As far as the telemetry page goes, the easiest answer is probably to create a new font-desc for the label boxes. Then we can have them be boxed or not as per the config.

A new font desc is all right with me.

I don't pretend it ready yet :) but in a week or two we can probably strike balance. I still have another week of vacation so I can go through many more iterations. What I'd really like would be for people to just replace config.ini and switch between fonts and sizes. I know there can only be so many style for such a low res screen, but at least we can try :)

Edit:

I have another config.ini directive (line_spacing) which I haven't used yet, I may repurpose it somehow or get rid of it.

Btw, I think there is no right aligned label yet, mind if I introduce one? Good for when the string displayed changes and such, atm mental arithmetic is done hard in the code.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 05 Jan 2014 17:43 by sbstnp.

More
05 Jan 2014 17:39 #18000 by sbstnp

FDR wrote: I still don't like that font. It's too dense and hard to read.
BTW I don't like the regular font either, because that one is too large since that's decorated...

Most other firmwares use all caps for such low fonts, I think a new language file can do that for us too. I personally like it more than 12normal, but only because I can display more lines.

I have given some thought about all this I can could fix the issues for me personally in a jiffy: buy an 8S or a 12 :woohoo: :whistle:

But I won't, I actually enjoy my Devo 10 and it does everything I want. If I can make the UI towards what my vision is and people like it and use it, the better. :)

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
05 Jan 2014 17:53 - 05 Jan 2014 17:53 #18002 by PhracturedBlue

sbstnp wrote:

UX wise I think having the button and the first object on the page doing the same thing was redundant. I personally don't care much, so I can bring it back if you or people request it.

Not sure what you mean. The only way to do a 'Revert' is with the button that you removed. How else would you do it?
'Reverse' does something completely different (reverses servo direction)

Yeah but that would require a recompile to change the font so it defeats the purpose.

No. it wouldn't change your code, it just defines an alias for 'Display.metrics.line_height' called 'ITEM_HEIGHT' You wouldn't need to recompile to modify it.

What I'd really like would be for people to just replace config.ini and switch between fonts and sizes. I know there can only be so many style for such a low res screen, but at least we can try :)

I agree this is the goal.

Btw, I think there is no right aligned label yet, mind if I introduce one? Good for when the string displayed changes and such, atm mental arithmetic is done hard in the code.

go ahead
Last edit: 05 Jan 2014 17:53 by PhracturedBlue.

More
05 Jan 2014 19:07 - 05 Jan 2014 19:09 #18007 by sbstnp
1. Revert: I thought the were one and the same. Will revert.
2. ITEM_HEIGHT: still needed to go through the code to understand it. Plus, the use of ITEM_HEIGHT and ITEM_SPACE was inconsistent.

Edit: if you'd like to see ITEM_HEIGHT and HEADER_HEIGHT throughout the code just tell me.

PhracturedBlue wrote:

sbstnp wrote:

Not sure what you mean. The only way to do a 'Revert' is with the button that you removed. How else would you do it?
'Reverse' does something completely different (reverses servo direction)

No. it wouldn't change your code, it just defines an alias for 'Display.metrics.line_height' called 'ITEM_HEIGHT' You wouldn't need to recompile to modify it.

What I'd really like would be for people to just replace config.ini and switch between fonts and sizes. I know there can only be so many style for such a low res screen, but at least we can try :)

I agree this is the goal.

go ahead

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 05 Jan 2014 19:09 by sbstnp.

More
05 Jan 2014 19:44 - 05 Jan 2014 19:56 #18009 by sbstnp
Ok so I looked at the code and it seems the Revert button returns values to defaults. Man if this isn't ambiguous, dunno what it is.

Shouldn't we rename it to 'Defaults' or something alike?

Edit: pushed some more commits. I figured out how to solve some thing that were bugging me.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 05 Jan 2014 19:56 by sbstnp. Reason: Ninja edits: words

More
05 Jan 2014 19:55 - 05 Jan 2014 19:58 #18010 by PhracturedBlue

sbstnp wrote: 2. ITEM_HEIGHT: still needed to go through the code to understand it. Plus, the use of ITEM_HEIGHT and ITEM_SPACE was inconsistent.

Edit: if you'd like to see ITEM_HEIGHT and HEADER_HEIGHT throughout the code just tell me.

It isn't about the final solution. In the ends we can use whatever makes sense. But to merge the code, it is much easier to be able to diff and see what actually changed and not be distracted by lines that have string differences but no behavioral difference.
So until it is merged, I'd like to stay as close as possible to the strings I have now.
Alternatively, I'm fine with ITEM_HEIGHT and HEADER_HEIGHT, but we should convert the main-line code to use those before the merge so I can see differences in the diff.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2014 19:58 by PhracturedBlue.

More
05 Jan 2014 19:57 #18011 by PhracturedBlue

sbstnp wrote: Ok so I looked at the code and it seems the Revert button returns values to defaults. Man if this isn't ambiguous, dunno what it.

Shouldn't we rename it to 'Defaults' or something alike?

Edit: pushed some more commits. I figured out how to solve some thing that were bugging me.

It isn't a deafult though. It just discards the changes you made on the page. this is one of the few pages where changes you make happen live and not after an 'Ok' so there is no 'EXT' to discard.
We could rename to 'Discard' if that makes you feel better, but 'Revert' means the same thing.

More
05 Jan 2014 20:03 #18014 by sbstnp

PhracturedBlue wrote: It isn't a deafult though. It just discards the changes you made on the page. this is one of the few pages where changes you make happen live and not after an 'Ok' so there is no 'EXT' to discard.
We could rename to 'Discard' if that makes you feel better, but 'Revert' means the same thing.

Ok, figured it out now. But, to be honest as non native speaker I thought it was Revert channel... never used it though (and that makes me a bad tester), I always went back to the previous values manually...

Lets leave it as it is for now.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
05 Jan 2014 22:39 #18025 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
i've had a play about with your ini file in the emu and it all looks good to me, the only thing i noticed is that on the model config page some of the protocols have a rounded box and some of them have a square box,

NONE - Sq
DEVO - Rnd
WK2801 - Sq
WK2601 - Rnd
WK2401 - Sq
DSM2 - Rnd
DSMX - Rnd
J6Pro - Sq
FlySky - Sq
Hubsan4 - Sq
Skyartec - Sq
V202 - Sq
SLT - Sq
Hisky -Sq
YD717 - Sq
PPM - Rnd
USBHID - Sq

More
05 Jan 2014 23:33 #18030 by PhracturedBlue
This is on purpose. rounded means you can press it because there are additional options to set

More
21 Jan 2014 21:22 #18870 by PhracturedBlue
Any progress on this recently? I'd like to try integrating it when you think you are ready.

More
22 Jan 2014 07:28 #18902 by sbstnp
Not much, haven't had the time.

This is what I intend to do, please tell me if I understood correctly what you want:

1. Normalize all 128x64 UI with HEADER_HEIGHT and ITEM_HEIGHT
2. Introduce those 2 as ini directives
3. Change the defines with variables read from ini/add ini for small UI.
4. Migrate mixer page to scrollable
5. Fix any page needing fixing

Is it ok if the plan above comes in just 5 commits? I will keep label mods out for now.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
27 Jan 2014 17:14 #19287 by sbstnp
Pushed latest changes to:

bitbucket.org/sbstnp/dev-flex-ui

For testers, in filesystem/devo10/media you'll find 2 config.inis:

config-large.ini
config-small.ini

Just copy one of those over config.ini to have the small or large UI.

It's not 100% ready yet still some overpainting problems here and there I'll fix tomorrow. Stable overall though.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
27 Jan 2014 19:19 #19291 by linux-user
Replied by linux-user on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
great :woohoo:
... I've changed the font [font-bigbox] in the config.ini to 14bold to make "Big-box" look as such. Do you think users can change fonttypes that way, or does this likely break somthing?

It's not 100% ready yet still some overpainting problems here and there I'll fix tomorrow. Stable overall though.

Do you think it's ready to flash a TX with it?
Attachments:

More
27 Jan 2014 19:24 - 27 Jan 2014 19:25 #19292 by sbstnp
The font contraints are the same across both UI sizes, so yeah you can do the mods for big boxes. I like 10normal and 10narrow myself.

Do not flash it on your TX yet, wait a few more days, if you can compile it yourself give it a go in the emulator. I'd love to hear what you think.

linux-user wrote: great :woohoo:
... I've changed the font [font-bigbox] in the config.ini to 14bold to make "Big-box" look as such. Do you think users can change fonttypes that way, or does this likely break somthing?

Do you think it's ready to flash a TX with it?

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 27 Jan 2014 19:25 by sbstnp.

More
28 Jan 2014 07:36 - 28 Jan 2014 07:49 #19321 by sbstnp
Ok, tested some more, no glaring issues popped up. Need to test with the 7E emulator now.

Can someone help with building the devo10 emu for Windows? Just to get more exposure for testing.

Edit1:
Should the main page config be available for the 7E? It pops up in the emu and it's missing the header.

Edit2:
Fixed the overpainting issues in std mixer, can't find anymore issues.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 28 Jan 2014 07:49 by sbstnp.

More
28 Jan 2014 14:41 - 28 Jan 2014 14:42 #19326 by PhracturedBlue
The main page config should be in the 7e, just not the layout page. I'll pull it and take a look.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2014 14:42 by PhracturedBlue.

More
28 Jan 2014 15:11 - 28 Jan 2014 15:11 #19328 by sbstnp

PhracturedBlue wrote: The main page config should be in the 7e, just not the layout page. I'll pull it and take a look.

Yeah it's just the config, layout can't be edited. Still, missing the header I'll take a look at my sources just to check if it's something I've done.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 28 Jan 2014 15:11 by sbstnp.

More
28 Jan 2014 16:03 - 28 Jan 2014 17:07 #19330 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
Sebastian,

Now that I am at my shop, I can build the D10 emulator and test this build. Will report back later depending on how busy the shop is today.

Here is what I see so far, using small config.ini:
  1. Channel output screen actual value appears to be 1 pixel too high.
  2. On telemetry screen 1 since we are using boxes around values is there a way to space each line out by 1 pixel at the top. It will provide separation for the values.
  3. Has there been more thought on changing the GPS screen, there is more room and it shouldn't be three separate screens as it takes too long to see all the info.
  4. When you change languages the selections do not have accented characters, is this a limitation of 04b03.fon?
  5. Is the simple GUI disabled?
To make the big-box look like a bigger version of the small-box I changed the font to 5x7. There is an error in the comment of the config.ini, there is no seven font it is 5x7.fon.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2014 17:07 by WheresWaldo.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds