Devo 12s 3in1 / 4in1 RF module neat installation.

• BirdBarber
  • Hummingbird Assassin
More
03 Aug 2016 13:06 - 03 Aug 2016 13:14 #52419 by BirdBarber
Replied by BirdBarber on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
I received the 4-IN-1 with Devo daughter board I ordered from Taobao on July 20th. It is using the new 13 pin 4-In-1 board :). I installed it in a Devo 10 and have bench tested all 4 transceivers using a MCPX, K110, V911 and HCP100S. I haven't tested the telemetry, I think the only telemetry heli or receiver I have is a Mini CP. Also, the K110 required S-FHSS FREQ-FINE set to 51 to bind, I don't know if it the exact frequency center or not, I need to experiment.

It cost me about $52US after paying the Chinese buying agent fees and shipping from the manufacturer to the agent and from the agent to the US. Now I have to decide if I should order another one for an 8S or wait for victzh to finish his board and get that instead.

Here is my original post about how to purchase: www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...dule?start=720#51906

Thanks to all that worked on the code to make all things Deviation possible, it's awesome!!
Last edit: 03 Aug 2016 13:14 by BirdBarber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 15:21 - 03 Aug 2016 15:26 #52420 by robca
Replied by robca on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

dononeness wrote: Hello Everyone - Would you mind to suggest the type of soldering iron that can easily work on such tiny area of DEVO 10 and the 3-IN-1 module and where to get it? Does Banggood carry such type? I have a Hakko FX-901 wireless but the tip seems to be large to work on for a not very good soldering skill like me. Thank You.

This one is small and super fast in heating www.banggood.com/BAKON-950D-75W-Mini-Por...12-Tip-p-982824.html , one of the best cheap soldering stations. The tips include the heater and sensor, so changing the tip de facto makes it a new soldering iron every time. The only negative is that the tip provided with the station is too big to be very useful

There are many tips available, the smaller ones are www.banggood.com/T12-D16-Solder-Iron-Tip...tation-p-944499.html , www.banggood.com/T12-BC2-Replace-Solder-...andle-p-1064391.html and especially www.banggood.com/T12-ILS-Replace-Solder-...ering-p-1064393.html (for many jobs this will be too small, not enough thermal mass to solder effectively)
Last edit: 03 Aug 2016 15:26 by robca.

More
03 Aug 2016 21:01 #52422 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Yes, I can vouch for this BAKON 950D iron. The only drawback - soldering stand is a piece of metal you need to bend to keep the iron. I did not find the adequate stand for it, the iron is quite thin. The best thing is the small distance from your hand to the soldering tip - better preciseness. I use mainly horseshoe tip, like your mentioned T12-BC2.

More
03 Aug 2016 22:49 #52425 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Yup, Bakon 951 uses heat technology more similar to the Metcal type of irons? Or at least is a clone of the Hakko 951 tech I think. Better than the traditional irons everything think of. Heats up quick. And delivers the heat well. But comes with a crappy stand.

The Metcal stand fits the Bakon nicely. But cost $35 or so itself. :D

More
04 Aug 2016 02:42 #52426 by C0ckpitvue 777
Replied by C0ckpitvue 777 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Thanks for sharing this valuable information barber,it is truly appreciated.I wanted to know if I can slap this in a devo 7e with the stock cyrf removed.

More
04 Aug 2016 12:42 #52429 by Fer
Replied by Fer on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
A quick "silly" question... Where inside the DEVO 10 do you guys fit the 3in1 module? Where is there enough space for it? Also, are those long pins needed or you remove them? A pic to show the positioning will be nice too...

More
04 Aug 2016 14:26 - 04 Aug 2016 14:29 #52431 by wasp09
Replied by wasp09 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
C0ckpitvue 777,

No, the stock cyrf module in devo 7e is different from that in devo 10. They have different pin layout and devo 7e one is soldered on, not using any socket.

When I replaced the dead stock cyrf module on my 7e, I had to cable the new module (for 8, 10...) out of place.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2016 14:29 by wasp09.

More
04 Aug 2016 15:53 #52432 by NathanBarguss
Replied by NathanBarguss on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Thought I'd chime in with my own experience, and a potential issue with the 4-in-1 I've just installed...

While looking into replacement modules for the stock CRF6936 I fried attempting the range mod. I came across the 3-in-1 and 4-in-1 modules thread.

really liked the Idea of victzh’s daughter board, but I can be impatient and thought if I can get hold of the Devo 10 daughter board being talked about, I’d give that a go – All four modules, one antenna and only one wire to solder to the MCU. Sure let’s give it a go!

Enter a new world of dealing directly with China!!

I’m lucky that I work for a large household name computer games company, and we have a translations department. Talking with them, and then organising shipping via. www.taobaofocus.com I managed to get hold of the 4-in1 Devo 10 daughter board. (It’s the new 13 pin version of the 4-in-1 and is the Y220.00 ‘blue’ option here: item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=27232304992 )

Following the pinout here (thanks HappyHarry) - www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/5955-7e...-4in1?start=20#50816

Hooked up to: TMS Port A13, TCK Port A14 and Pin 50 (second from the bottom on the MCU) Port A15

All was installed and works well! – Bound to a RX601 fine, no module errors on the TX and have been happily flying an X5, X5-1 Rev 6, and Cheerson CX10-W!

My only issue is that the YD 717 Syma X4 Protocol is now being really laggy! (note: this worked well with the previous NRF24l01+ I had installed, and the NRF24l01+ in the 4-in-1 flies the Syma X5 and X5-1 Rev 6 boards fine along with a CX10W blue board.) – There’s between 100ms and 2seconds of lag between human input on the transmitter, and the Syma X7 responding

I’m really tempted to just replace the flight controller with another X5-1 Rev 6, or even a DSM2 Brushed Naze32 controller ~£24.59 www.banggood.com/Micro-Scisky-32bits-Bru...Frame-p-1067976.html that would let me start to experiment with ACRO mode cheaply!

I'm wondering however if anyone has any thoughts on the lag issue tho? - I've still to do a range check, but haven't had any issues yet with the other models?

I've also tried to start a thread about my 7E build, but I think that's still pending approval :)
Attachments:

More
04 Aug 2016 16:49 #52436 by bianchifan
Replied by bianchifan on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

NathanBarguss wrote: ..Talking with them, and then organising shipping via. www.taobaofocus.com I managed to get hold of the 4-in1 Devo 10 daughter board. ..

THX bud!

Daryoon wrote: The Metcal stand fits the Bakon nicely. But cost $35 or so itself. :D

where??? :woohoo:
Cheapest source I found some time ago was in Germany roundabout 70€!

More
04 Aug 2016 17:13 - 02 Sep 2016 19:54 #52438 by valley_nomad
Replied by valley_nomad on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
When I purchased my 4-in-1 modules with the Devo 10 daughter board from that Taobao seller I ordered several more which I can send to some of you for $47 including shipping (lower 48 states in US only). They are the latest version (I just received them this week). I will accept payment via PayPal. Please PM me if you are interested.

Update: All 4-in-1 modules are gone.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2016 19:54 by valley_nomad.

More
04 Aug 2016 20:21 #52439 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
that's a nice install NathanBarguss! i've not had any issues with any of the nrf protocols and i don't have a syma quad to try. your issue seems a really strange one to work out though, as if the 4in1 flies other nrf protocols and other syma quads ok, it says the 4in1 and it's install are fine, but as the quad flies fine with another nrf module it says the quad is fine also :/ who knows what's up here?

More
04 Aug 2016 21:04 - 04 Aug 2016 21:06 #52444 by dononeness
Replied by dononeness on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
dc59 - Can B6 also replace for the solder point A14 if it is damaged? Thank You
Last edit: 04 Aug 2016 21:06 by dononeness.

More
05 Aug 2016 02:30 #52448 by C0ckpitvue 777
Replied by C0ckpitvue 777 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
That's a nice hook up.

More
05 Aug 2016 06:01 #52454 by Terrapin88
Replied by Terrapin88 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

rjmcewen63 wrote: Hi all. I recently add a 3 in 1 module to my devo 7e. all went well.
I've included my hardware ini file and my wiring diagram, they work perfectly together.
Be very careful on the #13 connection (very tiny)!
Just follow the pdf and use the ini file provided! Voila! :woohoo:

Thank you for posting this. I was striking out finding the wiring pics I needed.

More
05 Aug 2016 10:53 #52461 by NathanBarguss

C0ckpitvue 777 wrote: That's a nice hook up.

Thank you! - It's taken a while to get to what I have now, and more things broken and fixed than I'd have liked, but seems to be working well!

HappyHarry wrote: that's a nice install NathanBarguss! i've not had any issues with any of the nrf protocols and i don't have a syma quad to try. your issue seems a really strange one to work out though, as if the 4in1 flies other nrf protocols and other syma quads ok, it says the 4in1 and it's install are fine, but as the quad flies fine with another nrf module it says the quad is fine also :/ who knows what's up here?

Hi HappyHarry, and thanks! :)

For the YD 717 issues I'm seeing, I've been getting up to speed with the source, and there's a couple of differences in the initialisation stage of the NRF24l01 between the protocols that work (CX10 and SymaX) and the YD717 that doesn't. My first thought was data rates, perhaps the 4-in-1 wasn't the plus version, but all three protocols use the 1MB data rate, and the new SymaX actually runs faster than the YD717, and I can fly SymaX models without an issues.

I did see an interesting post where it looks like some NRF24l01 implementations can't switch to TX mode while they're auto-acking, and the switch state request is ignored (thus no data gets sent) And the YD717 protocol has the initialisation of the NRF24l0 set to auto-ack where both the SymaX and Cheerson X10 protocols have it disabled. - As I'm not expecting any telemetry or response from my YD717 after its bound, I'm tempted to try disabling auto-ack once it's bound in the YD717 protocol and see what happens.

As soon as I have some time to get docker setup I'll have a go at making the changes and seeing if it fixes my issue!

(It'll also be good to get up too speed with the Deviation source, as I want the two extra pots that the u7e mod allows, but don't fancy swapping the MCU. - My current thinking being that as I don't use the standard mixer, and removing it could free up rom on the 7e - maybe I could squeeze the code for the extra channels in instead - anyway, that's getting off topic, I'll start another thread about that if I get round to it.)

More
05 Aug 2016 11:01 #52462 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

dononeness wrote: dc59 - Can B6 also replace for the solder point A14 if it is damaged? Thank You

If you have correctly setting, you can assign any of those pins (A13/A14/B6/B7) to any RF module, would you mind to post a picture of your board status? How bad is your soldering pot damaged? It might be helpful to make correctly advise.

More
05 Aug 2016 11:18 #52463 by bazsound
Replied by bazsound on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

dc59 wrote:

dononeness wrote: dc59 - Can B6 also replace for the solder point A14 if it is damaged? Thank You

If you have correctly setting, you can assign any of those pins (A13/A14/B6/B7) to any RF module, would you mind to post a picture of your board status? How bad is your soldering pot damaged? It might be helpful to make correctly advise.

solder points from what i can see are not pads on the board but actually through hole (they have been drilled) for whatever reason solder had already been applied (maybe there is something soldered on other side of board?)

Why didnt they just put a head on it, would have made things so much simpler , if there isnt anything soldered to those points maybe it would be possible to attach a header

More
05 Aug 2016 16:29 - 05 Aug 2016 16:31 #52475 by robca
Replied by robca on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

Daryoon wrote: Yup, Bakon 951 uses heat technology more similar to the Metcal type of irons? Or at least is a clone of the Hakko 951 tech I think. Better than the traditional irons everything think of. Heats up quick. And delivers the heat well. But comes with a crappy stand.

The Metcal stand fits the Bakon nicely. But cost $35 or so itself. :D

I use one of these www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Solder-Tip-Cleaner-...and-FJ-/152175760112 (first link I found, not the seller I bought it from), and it works perfectly with the Bakon 950. Stand+wire tip cleaner

And super-cheap :)
Last edit: 05 Aug 2016 16:31 by robca.

More
05 Aug 2016 16:44 - 05 Aug 2016 16:48 #52476 by dononeness
Replied by dononeness on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

dc59 wrote:

dc59 - Thank you for your explanation. I will try to take a picture of the board when I have a chance (it is not with me at this moment).
About the gauge size and type of the wires what would you recommend to use? Thank you.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2016 16:48 by dononeness.

More
08 Aug 2016 20:05 #52594 by NathanBarguss
So a quick update, from my build thread doctortim has suggested that the poor performance I'm seeing (Lag on the StmaX4) could be linked with counterfeit nrf24l01's... Has anyone had experience of this?

I'm going to take the top off my 4-in-1, but if its a case that they're using 'bad' fakes, makes it kinda dissapointing if that's the reason for the poor performance with auto-ack.

Reference:
forum.mysensors.org/topic/1153/we-are-mo...fakes-are-emerging/7

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds