How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware

More
09 May 2013 05:21 #9726 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware
with deviation installed, when you hold 'ent' does it show the usb logo?
when in doubt, redownload the walkera firmware and lib, and reinstall both being extra careful to use 'upgrade' and not 'upload'. I am serious when I say to re-download them from walkera since if you used the wrong steps, you may have corrupted the ones you originally downloaded.
If you can get to the programming screen, I am sure you can get the rest working if you follow the necessary steps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2013 05:44 #9727 by vanwadiver
Replied by vanwadiver on topic How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware
Thanks for your quick response...

The blank screen symptom is the same for all of my interactions with the 8S, except for when I power-on with the EXT key down. The screen is also blank when holding down the ENT key at power-on... and no, there is no USB logo.

I have repeatedly downloaded the firmware and lib from Walkera, and it has made no difference. I am very careful to "upgrade" the Tx and not "upload", and I do specify the recently downloaded dfu's each time. (I did pay attention to the FAQ post.)

As you said, I can get to the programming screen, and I do have hope, I just don't know what else to do from here...

When restoring the firmware and the lib, is there any particular order of installation? Should I see/check for some results in between the two dfu's?

Again, Thanks for your help!

More
09 May 2013 12:45 - 10 May 2013 13:57 #9742 by PhracturedBlue
Try running a verify on the lib and see if that helps. What you are saying makes not much sense since with deviation you don't even need the lib to get the usb screen. There is another option, which is that they changed the lcd screen in recent models (and that would explain why you get a black screen) but if that is the case, then they sold you a tx without any possibility of using the released firmawre. That seems very unlikely.

However, if the procedure does not let you put Walkera's firmware on the radio, you can ask Walkera for support. I can also provide you a special dfu to give me more information. With that info, I can determine whether there is something different about your radio than all the other devo8 radios I've ever heard of and possibly let me enable it in Deviation if so.

Other options:
You could open the case, remove the motherboard and try to get a picture of the lcd screen.

With Walkera's firmware installed, do you get beeps with the switches/throttle not in the safe state? does the beeping stop when you put them in the right state? If so, then see if you can bind to a Rx.

Depending on your location, you could send it to me to fix, though I'd prefer that to be the last resort.
Last edit: 10 May 2013 13:57 by PhracturedBlue.

More
09 May 2013 13:45 #9747 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware
If there is hardware differences, it should be a different version PCB in the 8s, see if you can send us a picture or the version number of the PCB.

More
09 May 2013 14:03 #9749 by PhracturedBlue
One other thing I forgot. If you install Deviation and toggle the power, does the PC detect it as a new USB device that needs formatting? That would indicate that deviation is running but the screen is not.

More
09 May 2013 16:58 #9754 by ave1
Tom,

When I install to my 12S none of the screens are there. All models are lost and I can't move around the menus.
Do you have any experience with the 12S?

I am so lost I restored back to walkera firmware and that appears to have been successful but, I really desire to have this new firmware and all it's benefits.

I know you are busy but, I am reaching out to you for help. Also, I could not find you downloads for templates. Not sure they would work on my 12S anyway.

Please help, won't you?

Steve

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
09 May 2013 23:23 - 10 May 2013 13:58 #9772 by vanwadiver
Thanks PhracturedBlue for your kind and prompt replies. My apologies for my late response, but the Day Job kind of gets in the way...

Following the suggestions you have made, I have made another attempt at correcting the problem, and did the following:

Downloaded the latest Software Update package -
From - www.walkera.com/en/updater.php
Product Information - Devention Dfuse USB Upgrade Tools(Devo12/S、Devo8/S、Devo10、Devo6/F7/F4), Software version:V1.7, Released date:2013-03-19
File Downloaded - upgrade/2013-2-26.rar

Downloaded the latest software release from Walkera -
From - www.walkera.com/en/progoods.php?id=494&type=control
Product information - Product:DEVO8S, V450BD5, The latest version: v0.9A/v0.0.5
File downloaded - DEVO8S-V0.9A-100mw.zip

Unzip/Extract files
Directory - DEVO8S-V0.9A-100mw
Files - DEVO-8 FWDT v0.9A.dfu, DEVO-8 Lib v0.0.5.dfu
Directory - 2013-2-26
Files - DevoDfuSe_v1.7_Setup

Install and execute DfuSe program (I have also previously tried v1.5)

Install Firmware and library
Power-on w/ EXT (system displays programming screen)
Select DEVO-8 firmware, and [Upgrade]
Choose Library Tab, Select DEVO-8 Lib file, and [Upgrade]
Select the DEVO-8 Lib and [Verify]
Program reports "Verify Successful"
[Quit] the DfuSe program
Power-off

Attempt to verify operation of the Devo-8S
Power-on, two-tone-beep, 14 seconds, two-tone-beep
Screen appears to be backlit, but blank.
Power-off, single-beep, device off.

Throttle at 50%
Power-on produces repeating short beeps until throttle goes to 0% or Power-off.

For the remainder of your (and RandMental's) questions:
I do not have a Rx to bind with. (The 8S is phase 2 of a long running plan to build skills before I trash a nice heli)
I've attached a picture of the main-board. Details: pcb etching: "DEVO-8E 2.0", sticker: "1.0A", another sticker w/ s/n?
I did open the case to get the picture, but I'm reluctant to go deep enough to get a picture of the LCD screen.
With Deviation installed, it does present itself as a USB device, and requests it to be formated.

My guess is as you suggested, that Walkera pushed some new hardware out the door, for which they haven't updated their website. I will pursue a support issue with them to get the "right" firmware for this hardware version.

In the mean-time, I am willing to support whatever investigation you are willing to perform in any attempt at discerning what may be "new" about this Tx. If you are still interested in sending me the customized dfu, you can contact me through the "Private Messages" area, and we can continue the investigation there?

Again, and again, Thank you for your continued help.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 May 2013 13:58 by PhracturedBlue.

More
09 May 2013 23:33 #9773 by ave1
thank you for your reply. I am very grateful.

I follow (d) the directions for the 12S. I have tried 5 times and nothing I do seems to work.

I followed step by step to the word and still no success.

Can you help? Have other been successful w the 12S?

the calibration screen once update (s) are completed and no father can I go.

Thanks,

Stuck.

Steve

More
10 May 2013 00:46 #9774 by PhracturedBlue

vanwadiver wrote: I've attached a picture of the main-board. Details: pcb etching: "DEVO-8E 2.0", sticker: "1.0A", another sticker w/ s/n?

This is the same as the Devo I have (though it doesn't say anything about the LCD module). I will PM you offline with a custom firmware you can use to get me more info. If the programming display works, I'd guess we just have the wrong sequence for your Tx. One possibility is that your Tx is simply out of spec, and needs a longer delay than I provide during initialization. The Devo8 uses a standard I/O to the display, so I'd be really surprised if they changed it.
Then again, I assume the radio worked when you got it. It may be worthwhile to try the 0.6, 0.7, and 0.8 Walkera firmwares just to see if any of them work by chance.

More
10 May 2013 01:01 #9775 by ave1
not sure if I am being written to but, if so, yes the TX worked when new and still does once I revert back to walkera updates.

If this message was not intended for me, then I apologize.

I was wondering what the .elf file is for? I can find no references, here.
I follow the directions (v.3) pdf exactly. Once I did get a color bmp of a helicopter on the start screen,

I might add that the opening screen is asking me to calibrate but, does not allow me to do so.

I can get to several other screens, monitor and one or two others, all Black and white but nothing more.

Can/should I install the 8S firmware V 3.0 into my 12S and try that?
And if none of these conversations were intended for me, please accept my apologies.

Steve

More
10 May 2013 04:31 #9776 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware
Do you performed all steps for Devo12?
1. Flash (upgrade) firmware
2. Flash (upgrade) library
3. Format Tx drive and write filesystem

(Page 7 of user manual)
If the bug includes a crash or reboot of the firmware, additionally include:
* The '.elf' files that came with the firmware zip file.
* The errors.txt file from the transmitter

More
10 May 2013 04:36 #9777 by ave1
thank you and yes, I loaded the firmware but latest problem button are unresponsive and it's just beating me up. No way to calibrate button presses was the last issue.
There is such potential here but, I just can't seem to get it right. I love it and can't give up.
I follow the directions to the letter of the instructions.

Thank you sir for taking the time to write to me.

again,
Steve

More
10 May 2013 04:43 #9780 by vlad_vy
I don't understand which buttons doesn't work, Tx buttons or screen buttons?
If you have in view screen buttons, then:
1) long press 'ENT' to activate navigation mode
2) press 'ENT' to open Tx settings screen
2) navigate to 'Calibrate' with UP/DN buttons and calibrate touch screen

More
10 May 2013 04:49 #9782 by ave1
long press has no effect. sometimes the tx buttons work and sometimes not. same is true of screen button. I programmed two models, everything was going great, I was indeed a happy camper and thought all was well and then no button worked from that time forth. Couldn't get back to main menu/ and/or TX setting. Button would not allow me to select anything.

I have read and followed those easy directions 20 times. Do you have 12S? If so, does V3.0 work for you?

More
10 May 2013 05:02 #9783 by vlad_vy
I have tried firmware before v3.0, all works fine.

More
10 May 2013 10:47 #9792 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic How to upgrade Devo TX to Deviation Firmware

vanwadiver wrote: I've attached a picture of the main-board. Details: pcb etching: "DEVO-8E 2.0", sticker: "1.0A", another sticker w/ s/n?

This is the same as the Devo 8s I have (which works), thus at least there is no significant HW change on the main PCB.

More
10 May 2013 14:01 #9796 by vanwadiver

RandMental wrote:

This is the same as the Devo 8s I have (which works), thus at least there is no significant HW change on the main PCB.

I've been PM corresponding with PB, and with the use of his dump_bootloader, he was able to determine that the LCD on my spiffy new 8S is indeed different than others that he has seen...

I've also been in contact with Walkera support, and they say their engineers are making sure the software on the website is correct. My symptoms indicate that it's not, and PB's analysis pretty much confirms it. I'll post an update if/when Walkera updates their 8S code.

More
10 May 2013 14:02 - 10 May 2013 14:03 #9797 by PhracturedBlue

ave1 wrote: long press has no effect. sometimes the tx buttons work and sometimes not. same is true of screen button. I programmed two models, everything was going great, I was indeed a happy camper and thought all was well and then no button worked from that time forth. Couldn't get back to main menu/ and/or TX setting. Button would not allow me to select anything.

when you power-cycled your tx did it resolve the issue, or did the buttons continue to not work. Note that as Vlad said you need to distinguish between physical buttons and pressing 'buttons' on the screen. A deadlock where you cannot navigate would be a very serious bug, and not one I've run into on the Devo12.

Note:
If the power switch stops working, that is a classic deadlock scenario. The resolution is to turn off the tx and pull the battery. In that case, you may have an errors.txt file in the root filesystem of the radio, and it would be useful to post that (note. you'll always have this file, but it is normally empty)
Last edit: 10 May 2013 14:03 by PhracturedBlue.

More
10 May 2013 14:24 #9799 by ave1
I am delighted to report that late last night the 12S "settled down". I have no explanations. This was the sixth time I had restored the 12S back to the original Walkera firmware. So,I started over, once again.. My knowing this is the most powerful software anyone has written to date (in the RC world). I downloaded all the files once again and stored/extracted them to new directories/folders. Followed all instructions/directions which I easily know by this time. Before bed I was able to bind and hover a m CPX BL and all is well. Very well, indeed, at this time. I am very excited and thank everyone for your support.

Sometimes, maybe a user issue (as always :) )the TX reverts to the non-standard programming mode and, I fear what the message means that it must "reset the model" when it does. I'll now be able to learn more and fly some, now.

When I awoke this morning I verified the firmware is still in a nice operational state and normal it will stay, I hope.

Again,

Steve

More
11 May 2013 16:40 #9856 by vanwadiver
And... PhracturedBlue wins the race ! ! !

After several back-and-forth PrivateMessage exchanges, much patience on his part, and several test dfu's, my Devo 8S is now operational...

Apparently, from PB's analysis, the newer models (fresh from the factory) have a different LCD display than earlier models, and even the firmware available on the Walkera site isn't up to date with what manufacturing is doing.

I'm sure that eventually Walkera will update their site to the newer version of software, and at that point I will have the option of going back to "stock" firmware, but I'm not sure that's necessarily a benefit... Where else can you get this level of support and tenacity?

As I said in a related post on another thread... I'm glad I purchased a Devo 8S, not because of Walkera (although they seem to make pretty good hardware), but because of the community of people involved in the Deviation project, lead by PhracturedBlue.

Cheers and Thanks to everyone...

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds