Frsky compatibility

More
22 Feb 2014 23:19 #20768 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Frsky compatibility
with the 2-way, I wonder if we can somehow get close enough to bind, then use the telemetry response and use freqest to determine the adjustment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2014 23:30 - 22 Feb 2014 23:31 #20769 by midelic
Replied by midelic on topic Frsky compatibility
The value on FSCTRL0 is 8 bits value from 0 to 255...we can test every 10 th value 25 times ..till we bind..The value no need to be exact...theres is a range.I can bind succesfully with my module from
170 to 245....less or over these values not binding.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2014 23:31 by midelic.

More
28 Feb 2014 22:52 #21006 by FriedSky
Replied by FriedSky on topic Frsky compatibility
Hello again.
FYI the 26MHz xtal in my old V8 hack module runs at 25999524 Hz.
Multiply by 92 to get a ballpark 2.4G frequency. This module works with my AVR solution, although i only have the V8 protocol working atm and won't attempt the 2way D8 until the Fall this year.
I have a module without PA from an ebay vendor called Rayax. This did not work until i detuned the xtal by replacing the xtal loading capacitors. Prior to the mod' it's xtal was running at 26000155.2Hz.
I also have a Skyartec module with PA. This worked out of the box with it's xtal running at 26000073.6Hz. I calculated that to pull it's frequency down to be compatible with the FrSky module, the FSCTRL0 reg would be -31. On testing with a FrSky Rx this seemed to be in the correct zone as the limits of reception were FSCTRL0 values of +17 and -51.

I hope this helps, but clearly we need to measure more FrSky xtals to work out what the nominal frequency is. All my measurements were taken by looking at the Fosc /192 signal which i recall is presented on the GDO0 pin.

Regards, Rick.

More
28 Feb 2014 22:59 #21007 by FriedSky
Midelic, the value in FSCTRL0 is signed (2's compliment ..... invert and add 1).
170 and 245 are both negative so your xtal is running high compared to FrSky.

More
01 Mar 2014 06:44 #21014 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Frsky compatibility
Can this instability be explained by relatively small frequency deviation - ~32kHz for FrSky-2 and ~29kHz for FrSky-1?

Skyartec uses ~51kHz which should be more resilient. I don't have the FrSky modules myself and can't try it, but could you set DEVIATION register for FrSky to 0x50 (corresponds to ~51kHz)?

It'll either make the signal unrecognizable at all or make it more resilient.

On the other hand, your quoted crystal differences translate to frequency deviation instability of ~0.8Hz (it's around 25ppm). It is hard to believe that the detector is so sensitive that it fails to decode the signal.

It is still puzzling why only CC2500 is so capricious, why all other chips works with similar (or worse) crystals pretty reliably.

Admittedly, they use much wider frequency channels. My beloved nRF24L01+ uses deviation either 160kHz (for 250kbit/sec and 1Mbit/sec) or 320kHz (for 2Mbit/sec).

More
01 Mar 2014 16:14 - 01 Mar 2014 16:25 #21027 by midelic
Frequency range of CC2500 is 2400 – 2483.5 MHz

The base freq on frsky is 2404 Mhz...and my module adjusted freq is lower than that,... (15khz lower till to the end of the my base channel)..There are 4 registers for tuning cc2500 base freq.
FREQ2,FREQ1,FREQ0,and FSCTRL0....first 3 make a 24 bits word and you can do coarse(rough) tuning freq ..and FSCTRL0(freq offset) is for fine tuning..+-210Khz.
It is possible tuning using these registers and a frsky rx as a reference(no need measuring the Xtal or detune it) for a tx module (or a frsky tx as reference for a rx ...on binding on channel 0).
A software program to search for the channel zero ends using frsky gear as reference..and found the center of the base channel.
Btw I build a Frsky Rx based on these findings and it seems to work fine.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2014 16:25 by midelic.

More
01 Mar 2014 16:27 #21028 by midelic
@victzh
I think the problem of frsky compared with others is narrow channel bandwidth used..frsky have 135.417 kHz BW.

More
01 Mar 2014 18:48 #21038 by FriedSky

PhracturedBlue wrote: with the 2-way, I wonder if we can somehow get close enough to bind, then use the telemetry response and use freqest to determine the adjustment.

Has anyone looked at the SPI on the Rx side.
I wonder if the FrSky Rx's use the FREQEST reg to modify the FSCTRL0 reg in order to track frequency drift from the external transmitter (The TX module). The CC2500 datasheet mentions this.
I have 3 FrSky TX modules and 3 RX's atm. I'd like to measure the xtals in all of them, but the cpus have to be held in reset to do this. Hmmm.

Wish i could help you Guys, but i'm really busy with other Hobby stuff.

More
01 Mar 2014 23:23 #21054 by PhracturedBlue
I played with it some more On my hardware. The value in FREQEST has nothing to do with the value I need to use in FREQCTRL0. FREQEST is giving me numbers like '0x5d'where the proper FSCTRL0 is 0x05. On the module I'm currently testing, it is incredibly sensitive to FREQCTRL0. The difference of 2 or 3 values seems to be enough to determine signal quality.

I can widen the DEVIATION register up to 0x51 (any higher and it fails to lock). Changing this value doesn't seem to make the connection any more robust.

I'm not having great luck getting a really solid connection though. I lose it consistently within 10 seconds or so even with the best settings I've found.

More
02 Mar 2014 02:23 - 02 Mar 2014 02:28 #21059 by midelic
Unfortunately I don;t have a spi sample from rx binding ,...only from hopping data.
which module are you testing,... the one with PA?
I think you at one of the end of frsky base channel ...for this reason you lose connection easily.I think your base channel is out of FSCTRL0 range(+-210Khz) ...in this case should tweak also FREQ0 register....
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 02:28 by midelic.

More
02 Mar 2014 11:41 - 02 Mar 2014 12:55 #21074 by FriedSky

victzh wrote: Can this instability be explained by relatively small frequency deviation - ~32kHz for FrSky-2 and ~29kHz for FrSky-1?

I think you're correct ..... what irony that it comes down to the DEVIATION register.
Just doing some numbers on paper as i don't have RF Studio to help. Not that RF Studio is of any help when the xtal frequency is below 26Mhz !.

For the V8 (1way) protocol.
Base frequency = 2400999786 Hz at 26Mhz nominal frequency.
Channel Bandwidth = 135416 Hz
Channel Spacing = 299926 Hz
GFSK deviation = +/- 28564 Hz

As My V8 RF deck was running at 25999524 ish.
This puts the Base Carrier Frequency at 2400955829 Hz ... down by about 44Khz but greater than the deviation.

... Not sure about this but i guess if your 26Mhz xtal is out by about 310 Hz from whatever the FrSky norm might be then you could be in trouble.

I think i might increase the V8 deviation value to that of FrSky 2way (D8 series) to give greater resilience. (Must look more closely at the two way register initialise sequence).

This is just a hunch, but i'm wondering whether PhracturedBlue's problems were originally down to having the PA and LNA enabled at the same time. Maybe there was some sort of regenerative effect going on.

Hope this helps someone.
Regards, Rick.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 12:55 by FriedSky.

More
02 Mar 2014 13:01 #21076 by midelic
If is out by 310Khz,,FSCTRL0 is doing nothing,,,should tweak FREQ0 reg.

More
02 Mar 2014 15:33 - 02 Mar 2014 19:43 #21084 by FriedSky

midelic wrote: If is out by 310Khz,,FSCTRL0 is doing nothing,,,should tweak FREQ0 reg.

I meant 310 Hz at 26 MHz oscillator frequency .... actually i think its more like double that for the local oscillator to see no deviation of the transmitted carrier.

p.s. midelic have you got that fbl100 code working ?.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 19:43 by FriedSky.

More
02 Mar 2014 17:07 - 02 Mar 2014 17:12 #21090 by midelic
Rick,,so you are ...I thought is other Rick.
I'm still waiting for the other nrf module..I have only one...In the mean time I was busy with frsky gear,,trying to make it work...
I was using the same cheap cc2500 pcb as pb but different lot and the base frequency was shifted .I ordered also one cc2500 module with PA to see if I can make it work.I tried only 2 way protocol.
Rick by chance do you have spi sample from frsky rx binding data?
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 17:12 by midelic.

More
02 Mar 2014 20:51 #21107 by PhracturedBlue
well...now I'm embarrassed. It turns out that the code I run on the RPi doesn't work in my Tx. I have not yet figured out the difference. The protocol code is identical, and the spi code works fine with the skyartec protocol. But somewhere in there is something different. I don't think I ever tried using the identical module in both the RPi and the Tx (because before the universal module, swapping modules was a pain), so what I attributed to module differences is very likely just a code issue. But now I have taken the same module that works in my RPi and tried it in my Devo8, and I cannot bind. I know the module works because my skyartec works fine.

I've compared the SPI traces and haven't found a difference yet, but I'll work on it some more.

More
02 Mar 2014 22:26 - 02 Mar 2014 22:46 #21110 by PhracturedBlue
This is ridiculous
adding a 1msec delay after issuing a SRST strobe and frsky2 seems to lock on perfectly on my devo8 (no changes to the offsets needed)
I've used 3 modules (no PA. skyartec (PA), and the aliexpress (PA)) modules.
I haven't tried the XL2500 yet...I'll likely wait till my new boards arrive s I don't need to wire up an adapter.

So we've been without Frsky support for a year pretty much because I forgot a sleep statement :(
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 22:46 by PhracturedBlue.

More
02 Mar 2014 22:35 - 02 Mar 2014 22:43 #21111 by midelic
SRST strobe?????
or SRES?
I see you mod. FREQ0 register.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 22:43 by midelic.

More
02 Mar 2014 22:47 #21112 by PhracturedBlue
sorry I meant SRES.

I don't actually change the FREQ0 register (or FCTRL0) I think. I just added a config option to allow tweaking it if needed. If I did change either, it was accidental.

More
02 Mar 2014 22:51 #21113 by midelic
After SRES I had 100ms delay (original reset routine)...and my cc2500 module have still base freq shifted...maybe it was just my luck with these modules.

More
02 Mar 2014 22:56 #21115 by PhracturedBlue
well, I've now provided you the hooks to adjust it in Deviation. you can even sweep the values until it locks (though this likely won't work in bind mode, so maybe not so useful as it is). Maybe I'll add a special option to allow you to stay in bind-mode indefinitely while you sweep the value to help lock on if your frequency is off.

I should note the frsky code is still experimental. I need to enable the fixed-id and do a bunch of testing. So for those of you waiting for Frsky support, I'd wait just a little longer until before trusting your models with it.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds