Frsky compatibility

More
03 Apr 2013 09:00 - 03 Apr 2013 09:00 #8443 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Frsky compatibility

xCometz wrote: FYI,
in some RF front-end chip, like A7700 which in XL7105-D03 module, if you enable both PA and LNA, it goes to suspend mode.
Has anyone opened the XL2500-D03 case and looked for RF front-end chip being used?

Just a shot in the dark if Frsky supports Telemetry - if both LNA and PA is enabled when transmitting, you might be push your tx information back into into the RX buffers of the transceiver. However if you have sufficient cycle time between TX and RX cycles and you flush the RX buffers before the RX sequence begin, you should be ok.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2013 09:00 by RandMental.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2013 13:22 #8461 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Frsky compatibility
I believe they are all using the rfaxis chip. It doesn't matter much because at least the modules I have DO transmit with both pins tied to VCC, but do NOT communicate with Frsky regardless of whether both pins are enabled or just the tx is enabled.

The main issue seems to be that the center frequency of channel 0 is two channels lower than what Frsky expects (2.4036GHz vs 2.404GHz). None of the changes I've made has had any impact on that. shifting 2 channels didn't work either. I'm not sure if that is because it still isn't centered right on 2.404GHz or if something else is wrong. When I look at the bandwidth of the modules with a PA, it is on the order of ~600kHz. The DHT module has a bandwidth of ~100kHz. It also is putting out about 20dB more power than the DHT module even though the CC2500 chip is configured identically in both cases.
Attachments:

More
03 Apr 2013 14:58 #8467 by RandMental
Hi PB

Could it be related to the accuracy of the channel frequency? From the CC2500 datasheet:

CC2500 is highly suited for FHSS or multichannel
systems due to its agile frequency
synthesizer and effective communication
interface. Charge pump current, VCO current and VCO
capacitance array calibration data is required
for each frequency when implementing
frequency hopping for CC2500.

More
03 Apr 2013 15:14 #8468 by RandMental

sbstnp wrote:
Anyway, once I have my receivers I'll be able to help with testing the FrSky protocol.

Hi sbstnp

I don't know Frsky receivers and a quick google search did not really help. If we talk about FrSky compatibility, do we talk about the FASST protocol?

Alternatively, which FrSky receivers will be supported by Deviation?

(I have a 600EFL that needs a (Deviation compatible) receiver and needs the "best" long range receiver and protocol available)

More
03 Apr 2013 17:49 - 03 Apr 2013 17:55 #8472 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Frsky compatibility

RandMental wrote:

sbstnp wrote:
Anyway, once I have my receivers I'll be able to help with testing the FrSky protocol.

Hi sbstnp

I don't know Frsky receivers and a quick google search did not really help. If we talk about FrSky compatibility, do we talk about the FASST protocol?

Alternatively, which FrSky receivers will be supported by Deviation?

(I have a 600EFL that needs a (Deviation compatible) receiver and needs the "best" long range receiver and protocol available)

No, we don't talk about FASST. That's Futaba territory. I think FrSky has some FASST receivers ( like this one ).

The current hopping protocol (well not exactly protocol), more like their technology is called ACCST (Advanced Continuous Channel Shifting Technology).

As far as specific protocols they have V8 (one way, obsolete) and D (current, two way). They also announced PXX and new 12 and 16 channels two way protocol supporting long range communication. This will be supported by their X9D and X12D transmitters, whenever they will be released (they postponed the release a few times already). Supposedly they will have a internal FrSky module and a JR compatible slot on the back.

When PB will fix the current problems with the modules we'll have D protocol compatibility. PB also has the one-way protocol published, but I have no idea what's its status.

I have 2 receivers on the way:

1. FrSky D8R-XP 2.4Ghz Receiver (w/telemetry) - ordered this because it can do sum PPM (CPPM) so I can reduce the number of wires from the receiver to a control board or gyro for example.

2. FrSky VD5M 2.4Ghz 5CH Micro Receiver (Telemetry Capable) - because I am a sucker for micro planes.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 03 Apr 2013 17:55 by sbstnp.

More
03 Apr 2013 20:37 #8475 by RandMental
Thanks for a good description, sbstnp. I spent time tonight on the Frsky site, have a better understanding now of what they offer. I guess we can use the DHT module if the cc2500 does not work correctly.

More
03 Apr 2013 21:37 #8477 by stevecox
Replied by stevecox on topic Frsky compatibility
If it helps any, I have a DHT module laying around, the toggle switch version, here are some pics of the PCB: www.phdpower.co.za/deviationtx/
Its fairly large, 55x35mm about 10mm height, I can solder it up if someone wants to let me know where some wires may go. The red/yell/black is power and ppm signal, the other 4 wires go to the toggle and bind tactile switch. Then separate is the 2 connections used for the telemetry. I am using a second one in a modded 9x with sky9x m/b which will be passed on when we get the Devo's working :-)

Adelaide

More
03 Apr 2013 23:20 #8478 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Frsky compatibility

RandMental wrote: Hi PB

Could it be related to the accuracy of the channel frequency? From the CC2500 datasheet:

CC2500 is highly suited for FHSS or multichannel
systems due to its agile frequency
synthesizer and effective communication
interface. Charge pump current, VCO current and VCO
capacitance array calibration data is required
for each frequency when implementing
frequency hopping for CC2500.

The CC2500 has automatic calibration (which is good for about 1/2 of a channel width) which I've enabled. I'm not really sure what is going on. It is really weird because the frequency-offset register doesn't work as described in the manual (or I'm doing it wrong). I'm also having some reliability problems with my test-bench which is making it hard to do debug as well.

More
04 Apr 2013 00:40 #8480 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Frsky compatibility

stevecox wrote: If it helps any, I have a DHT module laying around, the toggle switch version, here are some pics of the PCB: www.phdpower.co.za/deviationtx/
Its fairly large, 55x35mm about 10mm height, I can solder it up if someone wants to let me know where some wires may go. The red/yell/black is power and ppm signal, the other 4 wires go to the toggle and bind tactile switch. Then separate is the 2 connections used for the telemetry. I am using a second one in a modded 9x with sky9x m/b which will be passed on when we get the Devo's working :-)

I don't want to side track the thread, so I'll just say this, and if we want to discuss it further we can start a new thread.

The frsky DHT will want more than 3.3v to work as it stands. I have mine wired up to a 2s 900mah battery. The first attempt to get PPM out of the 12s didn't work, I'm not sure if PPM is on the tip, or the second lead of the trainer jack. I'll be using the DHT-DIY module as an external module for the time being. But I use head tracking with my 9x, so I still need to carry them both... If anyone wants to discuss external modules, just start a thread and I'll join in. We'll keep this thread for frsky internal modules....
Cheers

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
18 May 2013 12:44 - 18 May 2013 12:47 #10096 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Frsky compatibility

xCometz wrote: FYI,
Has anyone opened the XL2500-D03 case and looked for RF front-end chip being used?

CC2500 and RFAXIS X2401

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 May 2013 12:47 by vlad_vy.

More
18 May 2013 14:47 - 18 May 2013 15:19 #10100 by vlad_vy
As I can see, PAEN (TXON) and RFC (RXON) are swapped.

So, connections to Tx have to be changed - instead 10 (PAEN) we need use 5 (PAEN). Possible 10 (RXEN) also have to be enabled (to VCC).

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 May 2013 15:19 by vlad_vy.

More
19 May 2013 06:11 #10104 by xCometz
Replied by xCometz on topic Frsky compatibility
Hi Vlad,

there are 2 RF frontend chip, RFX2401 and RFX2401C, they are almost pin compatible but in RFX2401 pin 5 is TX/RXN (high=TX, low=RX) and pin 6 is CE (high=enable chip), so to make PA on and LNA off pin 5 must be high and CE also high.

In RFX2401C pin 5 is TXEN and pin 6 is RXEN, but unfortunately I couldn't find datasheet of it. It must be some mode in combination of this pins.

If it is like in A7700, it would be:
TX RX
0 0 inhibited
0 1 LNA on
1 0 PA on
1 1 sleep

in other word PA and LNA could not be both enable, if both tied to high (Vcc), it will be in suspend and once the model (with luck, but mostly) bind it can by flying lost control because the signal is too weak.

Maybe there are two type XL2500-D03 module, with RFX2101 ans 2401C

More
19 May 2013 06:45 - 19 May 2013 06:48 #10106 by vlad_vy
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 May 2013 06:48 by vlad_vy.

More
26 Sep 2013 22:36 #14079 by Xermalk
Replied by Xermalk on topic Frsky compatibility
Was this ever sorted?
Or the Frsky and telemetry is still not implemented?

More
27 Sep 2013 00:02 #14080 by Hexperience
No, I don't think anything has been done on FRSky for awhile now. :( yeah... me too... ;)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
27 Sep 2013 12:07 - 27 Sep 2013 12:08 #14091 by RandMental
Last I remember PB said that the FrSky protocol works fine using a TX module without a PA (Power Amp), but he can not get it to work reliable on modules with a power amp - he then gave up and moved on to other things.

I guess Vlad's previous two posts with these diagrams indicating different High/Low and CE/enable signals could explain the difficulties he had with PA modules.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2013 12:08 by RandMental.

More
27 Sep 2013 13:05 - 27 Sep 2013 13:08 #14094 by Xermalk
Replied by Xermalk on topic Frsky compatibility
I was hoping that something like , www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_vie....asp?idProduct=17205 could eventually be installed on a devo 10. And there's soooo much telemetry available for Frsky. And its actually priced where one could afford it, compared to futabas over inflated prices.

Would be nice to have frsky for flights a bit farther out on the field.
We have atleast two well known "Spectrum Pits" where dsm2 and occasionally dsmx will completely lose signal. FASST and Frsky are completely unaffected in those spots.

Isnt the core of Deviation based on the firmware for the 9x transmitters? Those work just fine with Frsky.

Last edit: 27 Sep 2013 13:08 by Xermalk.

More
27 Sep 2013 13:10 #14095 by RandMental

Xermalk wrote: Isn't the core of Deviation based on the firmware for the 9x transmitters? Those work just fine with Frsky.

My understanding is that some 9X concepts and ideas were used, but the actual code is all new. I guess we need to find PB a proper PA based module we can use if we want long distance FRsky options.

More
27 Sep 2013 19:52 - 27 Sep 2013 19:53 #14101 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Frsky compatibility

Xermalk wrote: I was hoping that something like , www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_vie....asp?idProduct=17205 could eventually be installed on a devo 10.

Couldn't you connect it internally to the trainer port ?

Then choose PPM as protocol ?

I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2013 19:53 by blackmoon.

More
28 Sep 2013 00:40 #14105 by Hexperience
I have the same module, but because I have a devo12, I have to power the module from a separate 2S battery. But it does work.

If you want to see the telemetry you will need use the FRSky mini LCD device to view the data. Deviation does not read in FRSky telemetry data.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds