Frsky compatibility

More
19 Sep 2014 16:11 #25731 by Ceasar
Replied by Ceasar on topic Frsky compatibility

SeByDocKy wrote: Do you have also an OSD and/or GPS ?. Do you think it's possible also to plug the TX pins of the FrSky to output RSSI for the OSD such as minimOSD ?... Well actually, I can display RSSI by plugging analog converted CH2... But I am wondering if this information is not also send via the TX pins of the D4R-II for ex...

Yes I have a Skylark tiny OSD III with GPS and Rssi is working fine with the dedicated rssi output from the D4R-II CH2.
I'm backfeeding GPS NMEA from Skylark GPS to naze32.
So actually all I need personally is there, the input lacking over telemetry to devo10 is shown on OSD (voltage+rssi).
And as the GPS is working over frsky telemetry I can find it easier if I crash, as I have lon/lat in the devo10 (I have no DVR recording the fatshark/OSD yet).
But it would be great to somehow get all the frsky telemetry working, as it's so close to have full support.
Wish I had the knowledge to contribute on the development but I'm not there....
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2014 16:59 - 19 Sep 2014 17:12 #25733 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic Frsky compatibility

Ceasar wrote:

SeByDocKy wrote: Do you have also an OSD and/or GPS ?. Do you think it's possible also to plug the TX pins of the FrSky to output RSSI for the OSD such as minimOSD ?... Well actually, I can display RSSI by plugging analog converted CH2... But I am wondering if this information is not also send via the TX pins of the D4R-II for ex...

Yes I have a Skylark tiny OSD III with GPS and Rssi is working fine with the dedicated rssi output from the D4R-II CH2.
I'm backfeeding GPS NMEA from Skylark GPS to naze32.
So actually all I need personally is there, the input lacking over telemetry to devo10 is shown on OSD (voltage+rssi).
And as the GPS is working over frsky telemetry I can find it easier if I crash, as I have lon/lat in the devo10 (I have no DVR recording the fatshark/OSD yet).
But it would be great to somehow get all the frsky telemetry working, as it's so close to have full support.
Wish I had the knowledge to contribute on the development but I'm not there....
Cheers

So if I understand well,you connected D4R-II RSSI PWM (signal pins) into Naze32 CH6 and configure softserial ? Sound nice, avoiding first step of Analog convertion to input in the analog RSSI input if your OSD have one. Sorry I was completly wrong

Anyway, finally, I don't understand why if we use the battery pins to monitor main battery & Telemetry pins (without OSD & GPS), the A2 voltage is not correctly dosplayed in our Devo ....
Last edit: 19 Sep 2014 17:12 by SeByDocKy.

More
19 Sep 2014 17:30 #25734 by Ceasar
Replied by Ceasar on topic Frsky compatibility

SeByDocKy wrote: So if I understand well,you connected D4R-II RSSI PWM (signal pins) into Naze32 CH6 and configure softserial ? Sound nice, avoiding first step of Analog convertion to input in the analog RSSI input if your OSD have one.

Anyway, finally, I don't understand why if we use the battery pins to monitor main battery & Telemetry pins (without OSD & GPS), the A2 voltage is not correctly dosplayed in our Devo ....

No like this
D4R-II RSSI CH2 => Tiny OSD Rssi input(Tiny OSD understand both Analog and digital directly)
D4R-II RSSI should also be sent to Devo10 throu frsky telemetry.
Naze32 have no info on Rssi.
Tiny OSD have power sensor => connected to pdb reads battery voltage.
Tiny OSD GPS NMEA to OSD and an Y cable (only tx) to NAZE32 GPS input rx.
NAZE32 CH6 softserial telemetry tx => D4R-II digital input rx single wire.
So it's a nice loop to get the same GPS data both in OSD and into the Devo10.
Naze32 Battery pins are also connected from pdb battery voltage,to get buzzer alarms on low voltage, and to test frsky telemetry on devo10 ;-)

I think it's a different definition packet for the FAS100 emulated voltage from the naze32, it's simply not A2 but it's just a fair guess.

More
19 Sep 2014 18:21 #25735 by SeByDocKy

Ceasar wrote:

SeByDocKy wrote: So if I understand well,you connected D4R-II RSSI PWM (signal pins) into Naze32 CH6 and configure softserial ? Sound nice, avoiding first step of Analog convertion to input in the analog RSSI input if your OSD have one.

No like this
D4R-II RSSI CH2 => Tiny OSD Rssi input(Tiny OSD understand both Analog and digital directly)
D4R-II RSSI should also be sent to Devo10 throu frsky telemetry.
Naze32 have no info on Rssi.
Tiny OSD have power sensor => connected to pdb reads battery voltage.
Tiny OSD GPS NMEA to OSD and an Y cable (only tx) to NAZE32 GPS input rx.
NAZE32 CH6 softserial telemetry tx => D4R-II digital input rx single wire.
So it's a nice loop to get the same GPS data both in OSD and into the Devo10.
Naze32 Battery pins are also connected from pdb battery voltage,to get buzzer alarms on low voltage, and to test frsky telemetry on devo10 ;-)

I think it's a different definition packet for the FAS100 emulated voltage from the naze32, it's simply not A2 but it's just a fair guess.

You should make a video of your setup :) at least for me :)

More
20 Sep 2014 14:33 #25745 by SeByDocKy
Ok I did this small video. By using a voltage divisor, it's working as expected

More
21 Sep 2014 14:58 - 21 Sep 2014 15:07 #25752 by SeByDocKy
I did an little experience with my D4R-II. I wanted to know if the RX pin was sending also AD1, AD2, RSSI up and down informations.

I used the same cable that I used to flash my D4R-II to support full 8 channels

This time, I only connected the GND, TX & RX to the FTDI to serial converter.
I used this program
rc-miskolc.emiter.hu/index.php?option=co...d=35:tech&Itemid=113
and I was able to see these 2 RSSI. I did a video that I will publish tmr
Last edit: 21 Sep 2014 15:07 by SeByDocKy.

More
22 Sep 2014 08:29 #25762 by SeByDocKy
Here is the video

More
06 Oct 2014 08:29 - 06 Oct 2014 08:31 #25964 by SeByDocKy
Ok I finally managed to install correctly the toolchain for my Windows plateform and I can confirm that pkt[5] is displaying the RSSI (uplink main probably). Actually, I just used VOLT3 instead of creating a specific RSSI input (I have to understand all GUI functions). According to my measurement, max value is 108 and min is 30... so
Telemetry.p.frsky.volt[2] = (((u16)pkt[5]*10 - 30)/(108-30))*100; // max value 108, min value = 30
TELEMETRY_SetUpdated(TELEM_FRSKY_VOLT3);

is doing the trick....
Now I want to do the job more correctly... by modifying the structure to include RSSI variable and for all dependencies as well as to include a A2 gain to display the orignal voltage before the voltage divisor
Last edit: 06 Oct 2014 08:31 by SeByDocKy.

More
06 Oct 2014 14:05 #25967 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Frsky compatibility
Good to hear.
You need to add a new entry into telemetry.h (see DSM2 for an example of RSSI)
Then in telemetry/telem_frsky.c you need to add a new element for TELEM_FRSKY_RSSI (again, you can look at telemetry/telem_dsm.c for an example)

Lastly, go into pages/(128x64x1|320x240x16)/telemtest_page.c
and add the display of the new info

More
06 Oct 2014 14:41 #25968 by SeByDocKy

PhracturedBlue wrote: Good to hear.
You need to add a new entry into telemetry.h (see DSM2 for an example of RSSI)
Then in telemetry/telem_frsky.c you need to add a new element for TELEM_FRSKY_RSSI (again, you can look at telemetry/telem_dsm.c for an example)

Lastly, go into pages/(128x64x1|320x240x16)/telemtest_page.c
and add the display of the new info

I already done a first try but not successfuly ... I will give a second try :)

More
06 Oct 2014 22:02 #25984 by SeByDocKy
Ok .... seems to work now :)...
I added also the A2gain variable to rescale A2voltage into original range

More
07 Oct 2014 04:22 #25986 by SeByDocKy

More
07 Oct 2014 13:10 #25989 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Frsky compatibility
RSSI on FrSky equipment is represented using a logarithmic scale (dB), not in %. For the FrSky system the RSSI should read about 110 at 1m and every time you double the distance between the transmitter and receiver, the RSSI level should drop by 6.

"RF signal low" and "RF signal critical". They are set by default to levels that have been considered suitable and safe for normal line of sight flight (45 and 42). Loss of control will happen when RSSI reaches a value of about 38.

More
07 Oct 2014 15:09 - 07 Oct 2014 15:10 #25992 by SeByDocKy

vlad_vy wrote: RSSI on FrSky equipment is represented using a logarithmic scale (dB), not in %. For the FrSky system the RSSI should read about 110 at 1m and every time you double the distance between the transmitter and receiver, the RSSI level should drop by 6.

"RF signal low" and "RF signal critical". They are set by default to levels that have been considered suitable and safe for normal line of sight flight (45 and 42). Loss of control will happen when RSSI reaches a value of about 38.

Ok thanks ..... for the info... It's clear that provided RSSI is following a logarithmic curve ..... As you said, I assumed that RSSI(0) = 108 and RSSI(+inf) = 32.... So I rescaled everything with these two bounds. I don't know if users prefer to read 110 dBm instead of 100%..... Personally I prefer to read a % .... but it's my opinion
Last edit: 07 Oct 2014 15:10 by SeByDocKy.

More
11 Oct 2014 16:48 #26042 by SeByDocKy
I performed a RSSI test by installing the D4R-II nearby the Windows of my laft (3th floor) and walked away crossing many trees and blocks, etc....
The downlink (D4R-II>Devo) displaying the RSSI was pretty solid after 400m. I can't imagine in LOS..... and this is the downlink

More
11 Oct 2014 19:48 #26045 by SeByDocKy
A video with both the AD2 monitoring a 3S LiPo and the RSSI

More
14 Oct 2014 13:08 #26079 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Frsky compatibility
Thats all good news!!

Could you also look into the failsave feature of frsky, with DHT-U I really like the feature you can push button on tx module to store the failsave (current/stick and switch) settings into the RX.

More
25 Oct 2014 20:41 #26162 by AntonBit
Replied by AntonBit on topic Frsky compatibility
Hi SeByDocKy!
I'm newbie in that forum and just have integrated 2500 module into 7E transmitter. Works, but indeed no telemetry (deviation-devo7e-v4.0.1-92e1705)

It looks a good progress, hopefully also to get GPS into telemetry as well.

Is there some way to get your version for a trial?

More
26 Oct 2014 06:00 #26166 by SeByDocKy

AntonBit wrote: Hi SeByDocKy!
I'm newbie in that forum and just have integrated 2500 module into 7E transmitter. Works, but indeed no telemetry (deviation-devo7e-v4.0.1-92e1705)

It looks a good progress, hopefully also to get GPS into telemetry as well.

Is there some way to get your version for a trial?

GPS informations should also work. I don't know if I can push my little modification codes into deviationTX, or maybe post here build for Devo7E and 10

More
26 Oct 2014 07:45 #26172 by AntonBit
Replied by AntonBit on topic Frsky compatibility
I believe it will be generated automatically, as per explanation here:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/5-news-announc.../1416-nightly-builds

Anyway I will appreciate if you can attach your version and post it so I can try it.

In general frsky is a good transmitter and telemetry is really missing.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds