Developing a universal module

More
20 Apr 2014 21:26 #22609 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic Developing a universal module
Ok ...

i) installed the A7105-500 and bind FlySky protocol so : OK
ii) then installed nRF24L01 but got * front all assiciated protocol :(.
I checked connectivity for all the 8 pins of the nRF24L01 (going either to P1 pins or ATTiny) ....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2014 21:45 #22610 by SeByDocKy
Ok it's working with the nRF24L01 :)
enable-multimod=A13 standalone in hardware.ini is not enough... must also activate RF like
enable-a7105=S1
has_pa-a7105=1
enable-cc2500=S3
has_pa-cc2500=1
enable-nrf24l01=S402
has_pa-nrf24l01=1
enable-multimod=A13

More
21 Apr 2014 07:27 #22624 by SeByDocKy
Doesn't work with the CC2500 .... :( I got the "CYRF6936 Missing module" ...
Well ... maybe my CC2500 module is damaged. I got some new on the way. I will try to build a new MM from stratch within 2 weeks. I lost a of time with the stupid RESET error.

More
21 Apr 2014 21:42 - 21 Apr 2014 21:42 #22638 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic Developing a universal module
Looking at your pictures. Some of your soldering points looks very sketchy to me. Not sure if the solder even bonded with the pcb points at all.

Anyways, I think I am ready to do a multi-module build of my own. What's the best method to buy one?

How are you guys getting yours?
Last edit: 21 Apr 2014 21:42 by Daryoon.

More
21 Apr 2014 22:19 #22640 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Developing a universal module
Yea, I would use a bit more flux, or may be more aggressive flux. I recently bought some stuff with tin in it, it's water soluble and solders everything. I have a lot of crappy cheap 100mil headers which are barely solderable with rosin flux. This stuff just does magic on them. The only drawback - you better wash it off well with water and then dry with alcohol, otherwise I suspect it will eventually eat the metal. Check it out: www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-74026-3-Ounce-C-Flux/dp/B000IN1B8E

More
24 Apr 2014 14:54 #22690 by phantom8
Replied by phantom8 on topic Developing a universal module
Can someone tell me if it's possible to fit the multi-module with a nrf24l01, A7105 and CC2500 into a Devo 7e? Currently, I've a NRF24L01 & A7105 soldered to the Devo 7e using the old method. If there is not enough space in the 7e to fit the MM with all 3 radio modules, I will pass. Thanks!

More
24 Apr 2014 15:37 #22694 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Developing a universal module
I think it's possible, not easy but possible, with careful thinking, the culprit is the MM's thickness when completed.

I deported my 7105A (v911) module because there was no pads adapted on the MM, it was really tight nonetheless.

Unfortunately, every time I tried the NRF and CYRF modules didn't work as expected. But they all work when installed alone on the devo7E. Waiting for PB to debug.

I'll try that exact same MM on my devo10 to see if I have the same issues, I'm waiting for a NRF module from banggood.

More
24 Apr 2014 16:58 #22696 by SeByDocKy
I will add to gain a little more space, especially on the P1 connector, I used some dupont (female-male) wires now (I am currently building a second MM). I cutted them short close to the male connectors. It help to gain some height. It would be possible in this case to insert the MM in a devo 7E....

More
26 Apr 2014 14:07 #22729 by phantom8
Replied by phantom8 on topic Developing a universal module
Thanks for the heads up. Good to know that it's possible to fit the MM into Devo 7e. I may give it a try later on.

More
26 Apr 2014 14:36 #22732 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Developing a universal module
Sorry I haven't been around. I've had to rebuild the OS on 3 of my systems, and getting everything working has soaked up all my free time.

I'll do some experiments with the devo7e today though.

More
26 Apr 2014 14:40 #22733 by PhracturedBlue
FYI: I know SeByDocKy figured it out, but there is no difference between the ATTiny 24, 44, and 84 as far as fuses go. The page-size is different so the programmer needs to know which device you have, but at least the DFU I provided will auto-detect it. The hex file is programmed to work on all 3 chips. So it doesn't matter which you have.
When using an external programmer you just need to be sure to set the chip type.

More
26 Apr 2014 16:46 #22736 by SeByDocKy

PhracturedBlue wrote: FYI: I know SeByDocKy figured it out, but there is no difference between the ATTiny 24, 44, and 84 as far as fuses go. The page-size is different so the programmer needs to know which device you have, but at least the DFU I provided will auto-detect it. The hex file is programmed to work on all 3 chips. So it doesn't matter which you have.
When using an external programmer you just need to be sure to set the chip type.

Right .... I am rebuilding a MM with a ATTiny24A-PU (coz I think I killed my CC2500 during desoldering session ....). I flashed it without any problem with an USBavr with the same hex file.

Waiting set of RFchips via the slow boat :)

More
28 Apr 2014 02:33 #22761 by victzh
May I advise to people doing multiple soldering/desoldering to use low temp alloys - they makorly simplify desoldering, especially of massive elements, like RF shields. I use something like this:

www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet...ySgr4CFW5eOgodxBUAYA

I bought mine on eBay, though.

More
28 Apr 2014 05:14 #22764 by SeByDocKy

victzh wrote: May I advise to people doing multiple soldering/desoldering to use low temp alloys - they makorly simplify desoldering, especially of massive elements, like RF shields. I use something like this:

www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet...ySgr4CFW5eOgodxBUAYA

I bought mine on eBay, though.

Yes Victzh, chipquick is a nice product but I didn't find it in EU (RoHS ?). From US, the shipping fees are amazing ....

I ordered some female 2mm break away pins header. I don't think it will increase a lot the height of the MM. In this case, all RF chip can be easely removed during MM testing

More
28 Apr 2014 15:42 #22769 by victzh
Yes, maybe because it contains lead, cadmium and other niceties. But it may be available as "industrial use only" - I found this on Amazon (not sure France is served by Amazon): www.amazon.com/Low-Melting-Alloy-117f-Bottle/dp/B00JWUKVXK/
Anyway, search for "indium alloy".

Using headers while testing is a good idea, but the space inside Devos is so small, that I doubt it will fit inside with these headers and case closed.

More
28 Apr 2014 16:06 #22770 by SeByDocKy

victzh wrote: Yes, maybe because it contains lead, cadmium and other niceties. But it may be available as "industrial use only" - I found this on Amazon (not sure France is served by Amazon): www.amazon.com/Low-Melting-Alloy-117f-Bottle/dp/B00JWUKVXK/
Anyway, search for "indium alloy".

Using headers while testing is a good idea, but the space inside Devos is so small, that I doubt it will fit inside with these headers and case closed.

Well, I managed to insert the MM with some header for P1 (from dupont wires) in my devo 10 (there is a position where it's possible). With the female connector, I am not sure that the extra height will be so important (the male connector will be inserted). I would estimated around 5mm

More
28 Apr 2014 16:41 #22771 by SeByDocKy
I received in 8 days the RFchips for the MM from BG :).

One is the XL7105-D03B. I think it's the same from the XL7105-D03, alias A7105-500 ?
Attachments:

More
04 May 2014 17:58 #22880 by PhracturedBlue
FYI, I've been playing with the devo7e and the multimod. There is no question that something screwy is going on, but I haven't been able to root cause it.

For instance:
I plug the multimod into my devo7e, and it fails to detect.
Repeated power cycles are consistent...will not detect.

I now attach my logic-analyzer to the multimod.
Now the Tx detects it
I remove the logic analyzer, the Tx still detects it. Repeated power-cycles shows the same, it now detects consistently.
I remove the module and the battries from the dveo7e wait, and reinstall everything. It still detects the multimod.

I have seen this before, but it is infuriating because it is not reproducible in any context where I can debug it.

Once it does detect, everything works as intended.

I added a new option for hardware.ini:
in the [modules] section add:
  force = 1
This will still throw a dialog if the module doesn't detect, but it will leave it enabled. You can then see whether it will actually work despite not being properly detected.

More
04 May 2014 19:04 - 04 May 2014 19:06 #22884 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Developing a universal module
So if I follow you, in some cases your MM isn't detected at all... you don't have as I did only the Cyrf missing message.

And when your MM is detected all the modules on it are correctly functioning.

Not like in my case : Cyrf missing, nrf functioning only one over two (three) reboot, and A7105A, skyartec working as expected.

So another type of behavior all together, this will be difficult to pinpoint. :dry:

I have a second 7E and all modules coming from BG, we'll see if I can tidy (even tough Id don't think it was bad the first time) up my solder job and have same behavior as you.
Last edit: 04 May 2014 19:06 by blackmoon.

More
04 May 2014 20:56 #22888 by SeByDocKy
Some similar problems but I am building a second MM ... this time with female-male connector to test one by one ... My actual one, the nRF and A7105 are working well but not the CC2500 ... Hope to receive my missing 2mm female pin header at the end of this week.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds