including custom-switch support in Deviation

More
06 Jan 2014 20:32 #18098 by PhracturedBlue
including custom-switch support in Deviation was created by PhracturedBlue
Now that we have a bit of free space to play with, I was considering including the extra-switch patches in Deviation for the Devo7e with a tx.ini setting to enable them.
However, with all the threads flying around, I have no idea which patches are being used at the moment. If someone can point me at the various patches (2way, 2x2way, 3way, 2x3way) I'll take a look and see what is possible (My understanding is that the Galee patch is flexible enough to support all of these combinations). Before I can do anything like that, I need to know what the patches do though. From there, I'll decide how I want to proceed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2014 20:45 - 06 Jan 2014 21:02 #18101 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation
the 2 x 2way and 1 x 3way patches are still the original ones posted in the forum, i have attached them here

and the most info about gale's changes are in this post here and onwards in the thread >> www.deviationtx.com/forum/builds/2395-de...-fit-in-rom?start=40

and gale's repo >> bitbucket.org/galee/galee-devo7e

i know that rbe2012 has also been working towards merging gale's work back into deviation but has come up against a problem
Last edit: 06 Jan 2014 21:02 by HappyHarry.

More
06 Jan 2014 21:15 #18103 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation
Ho boy! .ini configurable! best news I heard this year. :)

More
06 Jan 2014 21:46 #18105 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation
Using the same patches 1x3 and 2x2 like Harry but with the extension that the emulators will be patched also.
Already posted here: http://deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/2524-devo-7e-deviation-4-0-0-2-switch-patch-problem#17671

More
06 Jan 2014 21:49 #18106 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation

blackmoon wrote: Ho boy! .ini configurable! best news I heard this year. :)

The best news is the year is still young. So looking forward to good things from Deviation. :)

1x3 and 2x2 are the most popular.

But if we can somehow figure out what Galee did to support two 3-position switches, that would be awesome. As some quads with it's advance functions wants two 3-way switches now.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
06 Jan 2014 22:14 #18111 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation
I had a deeper look into Galee's code. There the key matrix is gone through twice - first the columns are switched and the rows are read, then vice versa. If I remember correct he puts one column line low in the first run and one row line high in the second.
The switches (2*3-way) are bound to a common line (actually I don't remember if a column or a row line) and the four input lines belong to the four corresponding input lines (rows / columns). To distinguish them from the standard buttons he adds diodes so that buttons are recognized twice (in each direction), switches only once (he only determines the switches if the first run gave a zero result).
This is something what should be transferable to all buttons, but I did not get this working (with all combinations of pin input and output configs - some combinations gave me values which did not allow to determine the switch).
I am sure if you look into you will see how to do that, but maybe some external pullups/pulldowns or other circuits do not allow to use each line equally.

At least we should get 4 switch lines working - usable for 2 3-way-switches, on 3-way and two 2-way or 4 2-way switches.

More
06 Jan 2014 23:49 #18115 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation
the main issue from a code perspective is that the list of switches is static in the code. When we need to skip some inputs in a scrollbox, we have some nasty code to adjust the count. So we'd need to decide how to handle these extra switches in a way that they are invisible when running an unmodified version of the firmware. I'll need to give some thought on how to do that.

More
07 Jan 2014 00:24 #18116 by cmpang
best news of the year...

More
07 Jan 2014 09:02 #18134 by robca

rbe2012 wrote: I had a deeper look into Galee's code. There the key matrix is gone through twice - first the columns are switched and the rows are read, then vice versa. If I remember correct he puts one column line low in the first run and one row line high in the second.
The switches (2*3-way) are bound to a common line (actually I don't remember if a column or a row line) and the four input lines belong to the four corresponding input lines (rows / columns). To distinguish them from the standard buttons he adds diodes so that buttons are recognized twice (in each direction), switches only once (he only determines the switches if the first run gave a zero result).
This is something what should be transferable to all buttons, but I did not get this working (with all combinations of pin input and output configs - some combinations gave me values which did not allow to determine the switch).
I am sure if you look into you will see how to do that, but maybe some external pullups/pulldowns or other circuits do not allow to use each line equally.

Please note that Galee's code changes the GPIO mode between scans:

gpio_set_mode(KEY_ROW_PORT,GPIO_MODE_OUTPUT_50_MHZ, GPIO_CNF_OUTPUT_OPENDRAIN, GPIO6);
gpio_clear(KEY_ROW_PORT, GPIO6);

then

gpio_set_mode(KEY_ROW_PORT, GPIO_MODE_INPUT, GPIO_CNF_INPUT_PULL_UPDOWN, GPIO6);
gpio_set(KEY_ROW_PORT, GPIO6);

you can see that the first scan uses opendrain, the second pull_updown. I think that's key to get the right results

Here are the GPIO lines used:

GPIO B
5: Button Matrix Col 1 - Red
6: Button Matrix Col 2 - White
7: Button Matrix Col 3 - Yellow
8: Button Matrix Col 4 - Blue

GPIO C
6: Button Matrix Row 1 - Brown

GPIO C6, Brown goes to the center contact of the 3-way switch, and the GPIO B5-8 are connected to the outer contacts thru diodes. Basically it seems to be using Button Matrix Row 1 set high and low, then reading what happens to the GPIO B5-8

Also adding Galee's code for the key scans on Devo 7e and the relevant pictures for soldering the switches

Attachments:

More
07 Jan 2014 15:44 #18145 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation
I think rbe2012 had problems when trying to enable more than just the positions required for the 2 3way switches

• rbe2012
More
07 Jan 2014 16:10 #18146 by rbe2012
Exactly.

More
07 Jan 2014 18:05 #18154 by robca

HappyHarry wrote: I think rbe2012 had problems when trying to enable more than just the positions required for the 2 3way switches

That would be even better, but I'd be happy enough with the two 3-way switches for the Devo 7e :P Pretty selfish of me, I know :oops:

But, seriously, if the two 3-way switches could be enabled, that would make at least a few people very happy...

Going back to being my useless self, fading into the background...

More
07 Jan 2014 20:19 #18157 by andmiller
Replied by andmiller on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation
Is it also possible to add inputs to the Devo 6? I haven't seen any information on this model.

• rbe2012
More
08 Jan 2014 06:14 #18191 by rbe2012
It is. The same mechanism as for Devo7e should work in Devo6 too (or if you have some advanced soldering skills you can solder new switches directly to inputs where they are connected in Devo8 and use the Devo8-build - haven't looked deep inside but they are so similar that it should work).
But the Devo6 is not very common, it seems. There are nearly no statements or questions to Devo6 in the forum.

More
08 Jan 2014 08:11 #18201 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic including custom-switch support in Devo 8s
I suggest we add the Devo8s vibration patch as a standard option to the builds as well.

More
20 Jan 2014 03:54 #18744 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic including custom-switch support in Devo 8s
Just an FYI:
I installed the 2x3way switches in my Devo7e today, and got the code working against Deviation 4.0.1
I'm still struggling to figure out how to make this a ru-ntime enabled capability rather than compile-time enabled.
Supporting the 2x2way, 1x3way or 2x3way in the same code-base is pretty easy. Once I find a solution to run-time enabling, you'll be ale to choose between them from tx.ini (I hope)

More
20 Jan 2014 11:51 #18770 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic including custom-switch support in Devo 8s
that's great news pb 8) I look forward to trying it out

More
20 Jan 2014 12:34 #18771 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic including custom-switch support in Devo 8s
RBE,

please provide the Devo8s Vibration patch to PB to include as standard option in the TX.ini

RM

More
20 Jan 2014 14:00 #18772 by robca
Replied by robca on topic including custom-switch support in Devo 8s

PhracturedBlue wrote: Just an FYI:
I installed the 2x3way switches in my Devo7e today, and got the code working against Deviation 4.0.1
I'm still struggling to figure out how to make this a ru-ntime enabled capability rather than compile-time enabled.
Supporting the 2x2way, 1x3way or 2x3way in the same code-base is pretty easy. Once I find a solution to run-time enabling, you'll be ale to choose between them from tx.ini (I hope)

:woohoo:

Please let me know if you need additional test on a Devo 7e, even at this hardcoded stage. I have the switches soldered already in the "galee configuration" and I'd be happy to run any test you might need. I can compile using the Linux VM (or if you prefer to send a DFU, even better)

More
20 Jan 2014 14:34 #18773 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic including custom-switch support in Devo 8s
while i think that run time enabling would be a nice addition i feel that if it is not possible to make it work properly this way that for someone has the ability to add the switches to their tx then they surely will have the ability to build a custom dfu if required. i understand why you would like run time enabling as it makes maintaining more streamlined in that one build per tx type will cover all switch mod types, i just think that it could be done without this type of run time enabling without too much trouble to those who would use it.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds