including custom-switch support in Deviation

More
26 Jan 2014 14:35 - 26 Jan 2014 14:59 #19154 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation
Since I installed the last HappyHarry build I think I found a bug, I loaded a 4ch templates, advanced GUI

The extra 1x3 way is correctly defined in the channel monitor, but when I go to mixers, I have the following.

If I choose the expo/dr curve, I only have one switch selectable for mid and low rates.

i.e I can only choose "switch2" no "switch1" is available as per the manual, this makes impossible to have a 3way state on a channel.

Whatever I do the Expo/DR mix isn't saved at all :(

Curve type complex works as expected.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jan 2014 14:59 by blackmoon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2014 15:50 - 26 Jan 2014 15:51 #19159 by robca

blackmoon wrote: Since I installed the last HappyHarry build I think I found a bug, I loaded a 4ch templates, advanced GUI

The extra 1x3 way is correctly defined in the channel monitor, but when I go to mixers, I have the following.

If I choose the expo/dr curve, I only have one switch selectable for mid and low rates.

i.e I can only choose "switch2" no "switch1" is available as per the manual, this makes impossible to have a 3way state on a channel.

Whatever I do the Expo/DR mix isn't saved at all :(

Curve type complex works as expected.

Just hit the exact same problem, and was coming here to report it. In my case, I'm using the 2x3way mod, but the problem I see is the same (And same HappyHarry build)

I was hoping to use Expo+DR to have SW A0/1/2 act as a -100, 0 +100 switch (per the ongoing discussion about how the new switches work). In Expo+DR, instead of seeing three sections one with Src, Switch1 and Switch2, I see Src, Switch2 (that doesn't work properly, can't change the spinboxes, nor the scale) and Switch2 again (this one seems to work)

Attaching a bitmap to show the problem. Blackmoon, can you check if your says "Switch2 instead of Switch1 as well? It took me forever to notice it :)

As a side note, I think that a lot of people would expect a 3 way switch to be usable for quad flight controllers that expect -100, 0, +100 values. Methinks that in the tutorial for the 3 way switch, we should ass a simple explanation on how to implement that

Assuming no problems, would Expo+DR be the best way to go about it? This is one of those cases where the extreme flexibility of the Devention mixer cause confusion :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jan 2014 15:51 by robca.

More
26 Jan 2014 16:06 #19161 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation
first thing to try is to see if the issues still happen in the nightly build, because my builds are compiled with gcc 4.8 with the extra compilation switches to shrink the code, this may or may not cause issues

More
26 Jan 2014 16:27 #19163 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation
This was due to some code optimizations I did. It is fixed now

More
26 Jan 2014 16:37 #19166 by PhracturedBlue
as far as the -100-0-100 thing, it turns out to be much harder to use the mixer if the switch is defined this way except for cases where the switch is passed directly as a channel. And as noted, it is pretty easy to create a mix that achieves this. I agree it would be a good thing to document though. I'm not sure if the manual is the right place, or whether we should have a tutorial/tricks document explaining how to actually setup a model, and how to do commonly requested operations.

More
26 Jan 2014 17:13 #19179 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation
PB I always thought a quick guide was a good idea, maybe a Deviation for Dummies sort of thing that walks through a model setup. If I had time I would try to tackle it myself but maybe we could persuade TomZ into doing a for dummies thread / document.

More
26 Jan 2014 17:26 #19183 by HappyHarry
i've posted the build of the newest code in my 7e build thread here >> deviationtx.com/forum/builds/2661-7e-tel...timer-weekly-updates

More
26 Jan 2014 19:47 #19199 by robca
The bug in Expo+Dr is gone int he latest build, well done

While I agree that a "for dummies" is a great idea, I learned the hard way that goof "for dummies" guides are incredibly hard to write well. Either they end up being too low level, or cover too much and confuse new users anyway

What I found works well, is "task based" guides. The kind where "if you want to achieve X, do this" is explained as a single task. That way the new user starts learning when doing something, and over time the manual (which is really good already), makes sense (the problem with any manual is that you need a lot of context to understand everything)

In this spirit, here's my "if you need a -100, 0, +100 switch and all you have is a 3-way switch" task explained

I wanted to have SW B act as a -100, 0, +100 switch on channel 6. -100 is up (farther away from you with the Tx flat on a table), +100 is down, towards you/the base of the Tx

Go into Model Menu, Mixer, scroll down to Ch6, move the selector to "none" and press enter. Tap R+ to set the spinner from Simple to Expo&DR

Move down to Src, tap R+ until you see SW B0. Press Ent, so that it shows !SW B0 instead (i.e. instead of using B0 you use the reverse of its value)

Scroll down and in the High Rate spinner select 1-to-1. Scale stays 100

Scroll down to Switch 1, choose SW B1. Press enter on the Mid Rate filed, so that the spinner underneath changes from Linked to 1-to-1. Set scale to 0 (it's usually 100). That way when SW B1 is on, the value is always 0

Move down to Switch 2, select SW B2, leave Low Rate as Linked and scale 100

Do not forget to save! (I always do forget :unsure: )

At this point if you go into Transmitter Menu, Channel Monitor, you will see the values changing from -100 to 0 to +100. Ta-dah :woohoo:

I'm sure that there are a million other ways to do it, much more elegantly than I did (probably it's enough to use only two switches in the mixer instead of the three I used, but I got lost trying it :))

More
26 Jan 2014 19:52 #19202 by PhracturedBlue
The tutorials section is the best place for posts like that. Itmakes it easier to find them in the future then embedded in unrelated threads. I recommend you create a new thread over there.

You are right, that is not the way I would have solved this, but it is as good a solution as any.

More
26 Jan 2014 19:59 #19203 by robca

PhracturedBlue wrote: The tutorials section is the best place for posts like that. Itmakes it easier to find them in the future then embedded in unrelated threads. I recommend you create a new thread over there.

You are right, that is not the way I would have solved this, but it is as good a solution as any.

I will create a new post in the tutorials once I'm satisfied mine is a good solution :) since you just said you would have solved it differently, now I need to find out the "right solution" ;) Now it feels like one of those puzzles you just solved in 10 steps and you discover everyone else is doing it in 9...

More
26 Jan 2014 23:57 #19243 by hongm1212
Replied by hongm1212 on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation

robca wrote: The bug in Expo+Dr is gone int he latest build, well done

While I agree that a "for dummies" is a great idea, I learned the hard way that goof "for dummies" guides are incredibly hard to write well. Either they end up being too low level, or cover too much and confuse new users anyway

What I found works well, is "task based" guides. The kind where "if you want to achieve X, do this" is explained as a single task. That way the new user starts learning when doing something, and over time the manual (which is really good already), makes sense (the problem with any manual is that you need a lot of context to understand everything)

In this spirit, here's my "if you need a -100, 0, +100 switch and all you have is a 3-way switch" task explained

I wanted to have SW B act as a -100, 0, +100 switch on channel 6. -100 is up (farther away from you with the Tx flat on a table), +100 is down, towards you/the base of the Tx

Go into Model Menu, Mixer, scroll down to Ch6, move the selector to "none" and press enter. Tap R+ to set the spinner from Simple to Expo&DR

Move down to Src, tap R+ until you see SW B0. Press Ent, so that it shows !SW B0 instead (i.e. instead of using B0 you use the reverse of its value)

Scroll down and in the High Rate spinner select 1-to-1. Scale stays 100

Scroll down to Switch 1, choose SW B1. Press enter on the Mid Rate filed, so that the spinner underneath changes from Linked to 1-to-1. Set scale to 0 (it's usually 100). That way when SW B1 is on, the value is always 0

Move down to Switch 2, select SW B2, leave Low Rate as Linked and scale 100

Do not forget to save! (I always do forget :unsure: )

At this point if you go into Transmitter Menu, Channel Monitor, you will see the values changing from -100 to 0 to +100. Ta-dah :woohoo:

I'm sure that there are a million other ways to do it, much more elegantly than I did (probably it's enough to use only two switches in the mixer instead of the three I used, but I got lost trying it :))

Thank you for the tutorial.
Beginners have a question.
For example, I want to have mixed in the fifth channel control, mixed control approach for a three switch and a switch, two pieces, a total of six kinds of mode I is to set up three switch to channel 5, or set up two switch to channel 5?
Because there is no the advanced mode 1, so I don't know how to set up.
Thank you very much.

More
27 Jan 2014 00:04 - 27 Jan 2014 00:05 #19245 by HappyHarry
robca i think this is what he is trying to impliment >>

Last edit: 27 Jan 2014 00:05 by HappyHarry.

More
28 Jan 2014 05:23 #19305 by robca
Yep... it's already here: www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...-flight-mode-setting (just found out, not sure why it didn't come up earlier)

More
28 Jan 2014 23:01 #19349 by jamiedg
Replied by jamiedg on topic including custom-switch support in Deviation

robca wrote: Yep... it's already here: www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...-flight-mode-setting (just found out, not sure why it didn't come up earlier)

Thanks for this, just what I after for using RTH on Naza.

More
31 Jan 2014 12:18 #19485 by robca
I'm playing with mixers, and I like being able to use the emulator instead of my Devo 7e. I'm using the Emu build for 7e from the latest nightly build (deviation-emu_devo7e-v4.0.1-aba7a1d.zip)

I'm currently unable to change the values for SW A0/1/2 and SW B 0/1/2. I see them in the emulator UI, and I even added a hardware.ini file in the fylesystem, just in case.

The boxes for the SW A and B all show 0 as value, which is wrong (some of those should be 100%, some -100%). See picture attached

Are the new switches supposed to work well in the emulator? if so, what am I doing wrong? :-)
Attachments:

More
31 Jan 2014 13:11 #19486 by PhracturedBlue
I never implemented it. It isn't hard to do though. Please file a ticket on bitbucket so I don't forget.

More
31 Jan 2014 13:40 - 31 Jan 2014 13:41 #19487 by robca
Done (item 504). Hopefully I did it right, this is my first ticket :) created as anonymous, since I don't have a bitbucket account

thanks so much!
Last edit: 31 Jan 2014 13:41 by robca.

More
31 Jan 2014 15:11 #19492 by PhracturedBlue
I have checked in a fix

More
01 Feb 2014 20:09 #19618 by robca
Thanks so much for the quick turnaround, but...

I downloaded the latest nightly build (deviation-emu_devo7e-v4.0.1-3802611) and I see a change: now all values for SW A and B (0, 1, 2) are -100%.

But there doesn't seem to be a way to change any of those values...

Is it me? Or should I reopen the ticket?

More
01 Feb 2014 20:17 #19622 by HappyHarry
i just built the emu from 3802611 and enabled 3x2 in hardware.ini and i can cycle through the three switch positions for swa with the 'c' key and swb with the 'v' key

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds