Devo 12s 3in1 / 4in1 RF module neat installation.

More
24 Feb 2017 23:17 #59585 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Which 4in1 is best?
there is only 1 4in1 directly compatible with deviation tx's >> www.banggood.com/CC2500-NRF24L01-A7105-C...itter-p-1096707.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2017 23:30 #59587 by hyperlogos
Replied by hyperlogos on topic Which 4in1 is best?
It's OK I am building my own Deviation TX based on a STM dev board.
I don't need it to plug in. I would rather save a GPIO and use a 4in1 which only takes 2 wires to select the radio module instead of 3.
Is that still the best one to buy? Or is it worth looking at another one?

More
25 Feb 2017 13:52 #59611 by Iroquois
Replied by Iroquois on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Having read all of this thread, there must be many others who, like me, are totally confused. Constant references to different versions of both the 3 in 1 and 4 in 1 modules, together with suggested mods for both versions are not helping. Is there someone out there who has the knowledge (and literacy) to sum up the situation? In my case, I have a Devo 7e with added Nrf24L01 which works fine, but won't work with more modules added. I have a 3 in 1 module (version unknown) but am now afraid to use it. Removing the original module and fitting a 4 in 1 is not a simple issue. No one has yet commented on the idea of changing the existing viltage regulator. Ask a direct question and you don't get an answer.

More
25 Feb 2017 14:15 #59612 by Fer
Replied by Fer on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
As far as i know, there are no (real) different versions of 3in1. The early modules didn’t have any marking of the version, but later they added a version number (i had purchased both), but the later had no improvement over the first version and the LNA problem was still there, for both NRF and A7105 modules.

The 4in1 module. There are two 4in1 modules. One that is NOT indented for the DEVO series of transmitters (it is used for Taranis as far as i know) and another one that is especially made to fit DEVO 10 (almost plug’n’play with DEVO 10). It can be used with other DEVOs too, but it is not plug’n’play with the other DEVOs. Also this 4in1 module (the indented for DEVO 10) does have two versions. In the second version the LNA problem was fixed for the A7105 chip, but not for the NRF (i know this first hand).
That is all the latest information i have. I don’t know if there is anything newer.

This is a link for the 4in1: www.banggood.com/CC2500-NRF24L01-A7105-C...07.html?rmmds=search

P.S. Did you know that banggood says that www.deviationtx.com link is forbidden link? I tried to reply to someone who asked a question about deviation, and i got that message.

More
25 Feb 2017 15:36 - 25 Feb 2017 15:41 #59614 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
it's worth noting that the early versions of both 4in1 and 3in1 haven't been available to purchase since around july 2016, there is only 1 manufacturer for these modules so for anyone purchasing now there is only 1 version of each available. also having recently installed a new 3in1 (purchsed mid january driect from the manufacturer on taobao.com) to a club members 7e it does have the nrf and a7105 pa/lna issues corrected. also I was one of the first (if not the first) to fit the new/fixed 4in1's and again the lna works for both, I know this as I have quads that use both (hubsan/a7105 telemetry and cx-10blue/nrf auto ack) read from this post onwards to see when it was discovered working >> www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...-rf-module?start=540 so it's possible you have old stock, the 4in1 is easy to verify as the rfboard has 13 pins on the left side instead of 12, the 3in1 you'll need to manually test
Last edit: 25 Feb 2017 15:41 by HappyHarry.

More
25 Feb 2017 16:54 #59620 by Sonsondei
Replied by Sonsondei on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
I have a devo 7e and also got 3in1 recently.

Flying with frsky and e010.

I had issue with lagging for e010 and fixed by adding another ground wire to the onboard shield.(2 ground pins from module are connected now) and lagging issue is gone.

I cannot bind about 3mw for e010. Add a pololu step up/down regulator yesterday. Didn't help. But once a while, it can bind to 10mw sometimes but not stable.

I also found out trying different external antenna connected to the pigtail will have different result too. Like the famous 2.4ghz from BF that many ppl used. I can bind if the antenna is straight (not angle adjusted) , as soon as I tilt up the antenna, it loses bind.

I am good to fly at 3mw for now for the little quad. But just to share my experience for 3in1 user who may experience the same thing. Really need to try different things.

More
25 Feb 2017 17:53 - 25 Feb 2017 18:54 #59622 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
If you have a e010S, start reading here..

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2...ol-TX-Module/page533

Seem to me as if the receiver part will overdrive at near distance or higher transmitter RF power output.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 25 Feb 2017 18:54 by aMax.

More
25 Feb 2017 19:31 #59626 by Sonsondei
Replied by Sonsondei on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Mine is just regular e010@3mw.

My frsky quad is fb90 (2s) on qx90 frame. That has no problem flying high power tx setting.

More
26 Feb 2017 22:58 #59660 by Tjackson
Replied by Tjackson on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
I have 4in1 installed in my devo 10 and it works binding to all protocols I have tried. Awesome! Problem I have is when trying to load other model files. Sometimes the file is a .HTM extension. How do I change this to.ini . Thanks in advance! ( I am very new to this obviously.)

More
27 Feb 2017 13:28 #59681 by Iroquois
Fer, Thank you for summing things up. I think I'll stay where I am for the moment.

More
27 Feb 2017 14:49 #59683 by Fer
Replied by Fer on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
You are welcome. Please note what HappyHarry says about both 3in1 and 4in1 now been fixed (no LNA problem for any module). I can't confirm that, because my modules are all purchased several months ago, but i realy hope they trully fixed that problem.

More
28 Feb 2017 02:26 #59701 by heliav8r
Replied by heliav8r on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Back in the middle of 2016 I posted that I had a Devo 8 and was told at that time that someone was making a module that would plug into this radio without any soldering (or very minimal) I have searched and followed these forums and , like the poster a few posts back, I am confused.
What are my options with the Devo 8? Has there ever been this type of module? Is it available? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank for your precious time!

More
28 Feb 2017 04:54 - 28 Feb 2017 04:55 #59702 by mshmovie
Replied by mshmovie on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
I have a Devo 8S. If you put the 4 in 1 module in, there are three wires to solder to the 4 in 1 module, two easy connections to solder to the Devo 8S and one (IMHO) very hard solder to a pin grid array that I will not attempt. So there's no module I've seen that you can place into the Devo 8S ( or Devo 8 ) without soldering if you want the extra features it offers to work.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2017 04:55 by mshmovie.

More
01 Mar 2017 20:22 #59749 by saidem
Replied by saidem on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Hello
I would put the module 4 in 1 in my Devo 8s. I would like to know if it is necessary to weld the wire on the MCU as it is shown in the post on page 48 and to have your advice not on the welding, but if everything runs well.
I also saw on the forum the schema of the MCU, but I can't find them; If you know where they are it could help me?
Thanks a lot for your help.

More
01 Mar 2017 20:24 #59750 by Wene001
Replied by Wene001 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

More
03 Mar 2017 01:06 #59789 by Arnold
Replied by Arnold on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

mshmovie wrote: ... So there's no module I've seen that you can place into the Devo 8S ( or Devo 8 ) without soldering if you want the extra features it offers to work.

I believe one of our developers, Victzh, has been working on something like that, but it's not available for purchase yet, as far as I know. I think it uses the same 4-in-1 module, but replaces the daughter board with something of his design.

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?

More
14 Mar 2017 10:10 #60181 by ClittleJ
Replied by ClittleJ on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Hello! I am wondering if anyone can share their procedure for preparing the B7 solder point on the Devo 10 for the 24L01 module on the 4in1. I have heard on a video, and read a few places that people accidentally lift the trace on this point when trying to make that connection. Is there some steps/methods I can use to ensure the best possible chance of a successful connection to this point? I don't fully understand what happens when you "lift a trace" so I'm worried I will make a dumb mistake, something maybe I could have prepared better for. Thanks! Any suggestions will be appreciated.
The method I was going to try, but decided to seek some help first, was;
Put a bit of flux on the pad
Add a bit of solder to the tip of my iron and dab it on the solder pad(not sure if this will work or not)
Pre-tin the wire tip heavily with solder
Add flux to wire tip, and hope that it makes a good connection.
Is there something I'm missing with that procedure, or something I can do differently, Thanks again.
Cheers!

More
14 Mar 2017 11:54 #60184 by Iroquois
'Lift a trace' means that you will lift the PCB land by detaching it from the board. It then depends on whether you actually break the land or not. This is caused by overheating the glue which attaches the land. You need to avoid overheating things. Using lots of flux will generally help here and will also help to avoid bridging between lands. A really hot iron is a mixed blessing. It will make a faster joint which will help if you get it right, but prolonged application will make matters worse. Good luck.

More
14 Mar 2017 12:39 #60185 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
You may have read this here before, but I will repeat: practice on a dead board so you can see how hot your iron needs to be to work your solder, so you can see how long it takes to damage the board, and so on. This isn't really hard, but it is a skill that can be developed with practice. You can get practice boards at the flea market or 2nd hand store, or, if you're anything like me, from old stuff you forgot to throw away!

Don't practice on your Devo.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
14 Mar 2017 13:30 #60186 by povlhp
Replied by povlhp on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
A local guy who will be running a course for youngsters (12-15 y.o.) is also looking for all things drone related they can practice soldering skills on. Dead ESC, FC etc. Soldering is a skill you need.

Before I had an old soldering iron. Constant 25W. Took forever to warm up, and made lots of copper lift. It was crap, but good crap from Weller. Now I have a cheap 60W constant temp (907B ?) from banggood. Gets ready very fast, an has not made a single piece of copper lift.

The solder from banggood with white/blue label is absolutely worthless for electronics. Needs very high temp, and will not stick to anything. The one with orange label is fine, almost as good as the stuff I got 25 years ago. The more lead aka Pb the better.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds