Devo12 wide screen configurable GUI (intermediate

• rbe2012
  • rbe2012's Avatar Topic Author
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
19 May 2013 06:21 #10105 by rbe2012
To fulfill a wish sent to me with PM I publish a new intermediate build of my Devo12 work.
It is not completely ready now nor is it clear if it will stay (from user point of view) as it is. There will always be some power for improvement.
But if you want to give it a try (some of you have tested elder versions) I would be happy to get some feedback.
Of special interest will be how good is the translation of old model files to the new gui. I have put some effort to make it as near to the original as I could but it is not 1:1 (esp. the 3rd column is not used.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2013 13:42 #10112 by ave1
Good morning. Just woke here to see your mail to my delight.

Thank you.

Assuming I made no mistakes....
The update tool did not like the library upgrade aspect. I received computer errors. (Probably the compiler issue you mentioned?) However, on my third (3rd) try of loading the library file, it did upgrade successfully.

Once upgraded, there is an issue which will not allow movement off the main page. I believe pressing the Helicopter Icon has effect as I notice voltage drops but, will not allow navigation off the main screen.

The set-up Icon allows page flip to only one page. to the TX Config page and no page flips beyond that point. It is my believe that your having a Devo 12S in your possession for testing purposes will be a terrific aide.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

• rbe2012
More
20 May 2013 08:00 #10132 by rbe2012
Sorry you had trouble installing it, but as I heard the second try was ok.
The problems I encountered when compiling have nothing to to with the Devo12 build but some dependencies of the Devo6 and Devo10 which I will have to fix.

• rbe2012
More
20 May 2013 13:04 #10146 by rbe2012

rbe2012 wrote: ...some dependencies of the Devo6 and Devo10 which I will have to fix.

Fixed now. Simply a result of my laziness: forgot to remove some "#define" which I added for more comfort at coding... removed and built again without problems.
I just uploaded a corrected version to my repo.

More
21 May 2013 13:49 #10195 by 525057
Hi

I am very happy with this build to my Devo12, but I have a few small things that I did not get to work.

1.Under "Main page config", I can not save everything, some things manage, but not all.
Have tried different things to see if there is any connection, but it does not quite look like this.

2.Is there anyone who has found a good solution to add another background image?

Again, Thanks for a nice build.

PK
Devo12, T-Rex FB 450, Orange DSM2

• rbe2012
More
21 May 2013 14:23 #10196 by rbe2012

525057 wrote: 1.Under "Main page config", I can not save everything, some things manage, but not all.
Have tried different things to see if there is any connection, but it does not quite look like this.

Can you list what does not work as expected?

2.Is there anyone who has found a good solution to add another background image?

The background image can only be changed while compiling because it is integrated in one of the dfu files.

More
21 May 2013 15:17 #10197 by 525057
When i try too save "Cross: H:Left_V, V: Left_H at the left side.
The Right side saves OK.

Was that a little cryptic? :-)

More
22 May 2013 11:00 #10234 by Pattaya01
I am what you would call a "normal" user and I have the Devo12S. I would like to contribute by testing but I am a bit afraid:

1) All my model settings will be gone
2) Not easy to get the original Devention software back

I fly fixed wing planes and FPV and I have time on my hands. But as long as there is no final wide screen version, I would like to fly with the original software.

Is my fear justified or am I "over" afraid?

• rbe2012
More
22 May 2013 12:05 #10235 by rbe2012
I think it is a mix of both.
Going back to the original firmware should be possible, without loss of the models because they are stored in a special area of the flash which is not used by deviation (at least at Devo8 - please look int the manual if you want to try). It should be possible with the dfuse-tool to make a backup of the model files on your pc too (every single config, I believe).
But you would have to re-configure all your models. Deviation uses a complete different model configuration and there is no way to convert them except the hard one - do it manually.

If you only want to try without risk for your tx, you can install the emulator on a pc and play around with this. You can configure your models with the emulator and transfer them later to your deviation-Devo12 so your work will not be wasted. And it will give you a feeling for deviation (and the configuration) before the action restarts in earnest.

More
22 May 2013 13:02 - 22 May 2013 13:03 #10236 by vlad_vy
For Devo12 only:
1) all original models will be lost (if not saved previously)
2) all original Tx configuration will be lost
3) you can easy get original Devention back (with 1 and 2 drawbacks)
Last edit: 22 May 2013 13:03 by vlad_vy.

More
22 May 2013 14:23 #10238 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo12 wide screen configurable GUI (intermediate
As vlad said, you cannot preserve your models on the devo12 unless you manually back up each one 1st. It is not possible to save the Tx settings at all. Backing up will be much easier once I release my replacement for DFuse, but that is still some ways off. This also applies to the Devo7e. The Devo 6, 8, and 10 have a different memory layout and we preserve the Walkera models and config when moving to Deviation.

More
23 May 2013 04:23 #10242 by Pattaya01

rbe2012 wrote: If you only want to try without risk for your tx, you can install the emulator on a pc and play around with this. You can configure your models with the emulator and transfer them later to your deviation-Devo12 so your work will not be wasted. And it will give you a feeling for deviation (and the configuration) before the action restarts in earnest.

Where can I find this emulator and instructions how to install on a win7 machine?

• rbe2012
More
23 May 2013 06:33 - 24 May 2013 06:15 #10245 by rbe2012
You will need to install the libraries mentioned here: dll-files .
The emulator is attached.
You will need the devo8-filesystem.The emulator expects it like this (I believe it does not expect all directories; for Devo12 the devo8-dir is needed):
├───emu_devoXX.exe
├───filesystem
│ ├───common
│ │ ├───language
│ │ ├───media
│ │ └───template
│ ├───devo10
│ │ ├───language
│ │ ├───media
│ │ ├───modelico
│ │ ├───models
│ │ └───template
│ ├───devo7e
│ │ ├───media
│ │ ├───modelico
│ │ ├───models
│ │ └───template
│ ├───devo8
│ ├───language
│ ├───media
│ ├───modelico
│ ├───models
│ └───template
I have attached mine so you can test with. The model files for model2 and 3 are write protected so you can't save them.

2nd EDIT: attachment removed, updated at later post

EDIT: the fs will not upload...
Last edit: 24 May 2013 06:15 by rbe2012.

• rbe2012
More
23 May 2013 06:39 - 23 May 2013 06:41 #10246 by rbe2012
Reduced to the Devo8-fs:

File Attachment:

File Name: devo8-filesystem.zip
File Size:487 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 May 2013 06:41 by rbe2012.

More
23 May 2013 09:13 #10250 by Pattaya01
That works, thanks. Got something to play with.

More
24 May 2013 03:06 #10265 by Pattaya01
Been playing a bit with the emulator and noticed some things:

1) Main page config has some toggle buttons. I tried to set something, pressed save, go to main page and see nothing...?

2) If I press an "Empty" field twice, the emulator crashes and stops working

To tell you the truth, I do not realy understand the config page. Probably me :-)

Is this still un-finished?

More
24 May 2013 06:09 #10267 by Pattaya01
OK, so I am new to this. Never seen a Deviation release, did not even read the manual well. Just had a quick look at it.

Been studying the manual a bit now and it gets a bit clear.

But still, maybe my remarks as a newbee could be helpful:

1) I guess many 1st time users are like me. First play, then read the manual. Most require study. Since the Devo12 has such a big screen, there is enough space to put explaining text.

2) For the toggle buttons, when there is no input, nothing is showed on the main page. Maybe there should be something like a placeholder, or an empty toggle button.

3) I tried to activate the top right hand big button (heli, plane or standard) but I get nothing.

I'll keep on playing and learning....

• rbe2012
More
24 May 2013 06:13 - 24 May 2013 09:54 #10268 by rbe2012
You are right - I am actually completely recontructing the code so it might not be stable. I have chosen a bad version.

This one should be better:

EDIT: wrong format, see 2 posts below

The config page is designed to be easy to understand but I confess without any hint it is not. I have written longer posts to explain how to work with in the development section.
In short words:
If you click on an element in the preview, at the left border some field appear which allow to change the parameters of the selected field. If you select another preview element these fields will change to show the properties of the new element.
The use of the property fields is the same as on the old config page.
If you click on an element which is active (light blue frame) it will change its type (little box -> big box -> icon -> toggle icons -> cross -> short bars -> long bars -> again to little box...). So you can chose the type of element you want to have at a special screen position. The other elements are re-aligned (and might disappear when they were shifted out of the screen).
The trims and the quickpages you can change directly (trims change the preview while quickpages do not).
When you click on "save" your work is saved and will be shown on the main page. With "cancel" you revert your work (except model and toggle icons).
Last edit: 24 May 2013 09:54 by rbe2012.

More
24 May 2013 06:37 #10269 by Pattaya01
Tried to open this new ZIP file, seems to be corrupted.... :-(

• rbe2012
More
24 May 2013 09:53 #10271 by rbe2012
Yep - I packed it with tar, not with zip... too much working with linux.

Please give me a second chance and try this:

Attachment emu_devo12.exe.zip not found

I will remove the above.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds