Devo12 wide screen configurable GUI (intermediate

More
24 May 2013 11:13 #10272 by Pattaya01
Yep, better. I will try. By the way, do you ever sleep? Which time zone are you?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rbe2012
  • rbe2012's Avatar Topic Author
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
24 May 2013 11:23 #10273 by rbe2012
I live in Germany - and sometimes I can spend a minute at work (sitting in front of a pc nearly all the time) to look into the forum... and at home I try to work for deviation regularly.
What I have published above were older versions which I only had to zip; no programming work so this needed nearly no time.

More
24 May 2013 13:15 - 24 May 2013 13:16 #10275 by Pattaya01
Well, this one also have many strange behaviors. When I switch model, the heli Icon jumps to the left hand lower corner. I'll wait for a more stable and "final" version. But thanks for all your efforts. I do appreciate. What I like most about deviation is the possibility to switch protocols. I used to have a 7 channel Spektrum TX and needed more channels. So I bought the 12 channel Devo. But I still have a lot of Spektrum receivers. With this solution, I can use both my Devo and Spektrum stuff.

I also like this configurable main screen. Looks very promising. But I cannot risk my models. If something goes wrong, it will cost ($$$) me dearly. I don't particularly like the Devention UI, but it is stable, no surprises. So I hope soon a stable and useable Devo12 version will be released.

If you have something new, let me know. I will test immediately.

Dankeschoen im voraus. :-)
Last edit: 24 May 2013 13:16 by Pattaya01.

• rbe2012
More
24 May 2013 13:38 #10276 by rbe2012
The configurable gui needs more parameters to be saved in the model config than the old. So if you change the models and the new one was configured with the old gui (or build from template) there are only a few elements at predefined positions.
I tried to convert the old model files as completely as possible. This leads to the starting point you have seen.
Once you have configured your models you can switch between them and get your configured gui.

More
25 May 2013 00:49 #10283 by Pattaya01
Have been playing with this last build a bit more now, but cannot get the "toggles" to work properly. I'll play more and let you know my findings.

More
25 May 2013 08:01 #10288 by Pattaya01
Another thing I noticed is the absence of labels. You can place any kind of object, anywhere on the screen, but after you're done, you might not remember which one you placed where. If I assign a box to be timer1, another to be timer2, and so on, it would be nice if the boxes has labels with their names. The same for my earlier remark on placeholders. If I dont toggle a box, nothing is displayed on the screen. At least there should be an empty placeholder so I know I placed a toggle there.

• rbe2012
More
25 May 2013 17:32 #10298 by rbe2012
Hello Pattaya01,
thank you for testing. I am re-designing the code completely so it might still have some errors. I will go through your comments when I have the functionality completely ready.
I am not sure if you want placeholders on the main screen or in the preview. If in the preview are only the type of element displayed - this is definitely an error. In previous versions the labels have shown the source choosen for input at boxes, bars and crosses (adn future versions will have this too). Toggles are simply too small to write three values into.
Give me a few more days for reconstructing. I can promise you it will be worth the time.

More
25 May 2013 17:40 #10300 by Pattaya01
I have all the time in the world, no worry....:-)

More
26 May 2013 05:31 - 26 May 2013 13:45 #10315 by Pattaya01
Have a look at the enclosed pictures, then you know what I mean. The picture "Labels" shows text next to the indications and a placeholder for gear. As soon as you toggle gear, the icon will be shown. At least this way you know you put something there.

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 May 2013 13:45 by Pattaya01.

• rbe2012
More
26 May 2013 15:30 #10321 by rbe2012
The easiest way to achieve this is to choose an icon for every switch position. So you can make sure that you will see something on the screen in every position.
I have made my own icons for this purpose. I have taken tae originals and faded the colors out and made them lighter. So I can see a "shadow" of the icon when the switch is in inactive position and a good viewable one in active position.

More
27 May 2013 00:40 #10329 by Pattaya01
Must be telepathy. I was exactly thinking the same. But most important are the labels. With the configurable screen, you can design a different main screen for every model. For sure you cannot remember every function of every indicator you put on the screen. If you have 1 transmitter with 1 main screen, no problem. But with a configurable GUI, you need to know what is what.

• rbe2012
More
27 May 2013 07:09 #10335 by rbe2012
This should be discussed in a bigger circle.
Your thoughts are replicable, but in most cases these labels will not easily fit in the existing objects. There are two ways: additional label elements with user configurable text inside or reducing the size of the boxes, bars, ... to make the label fit inside.

But from my personal point of view I believe that most users will want to see the same information for every class of models (helis, planes, gliders, multicopter, ...). Because of this the users will get used to their screen without the labels.

More
27 May 2013 09:14 #10339 by Pattaya01
I've been thinking about it and I come to the following conclusion:

When I fly, where do I look? Of course at my model, not on the screen. When do I look the screen? When I setup my model, before I start flying and after I landed.

For me, I just want to start the timer (coupled to the throttle) and have telemetry data that I can see in a glimpse. Most important is audible signals when the voltage drops below a certain level or when the temperature gets too high. So actually, I will probably use a very simple and easy readable main screen anyway.

Having said that, the development for the Devo12 may divert from from the rest as far as GUI is concerned. The 12 has a bigger screen, more and bigger information can be displayed, so I do not see any reason why the core can be compatible to the mainstream development, the GUI is especially for the 12. The work you do now is probably not portable to the other TX's anyway.

• rbe2012
More
27 May 2013 09:57 #10342 by rbe2012
The gui also has a three-column-mode (actually only selectable at build time). With this it also runs on the smaller Devo6/8 screen without any changes.

More
29 May 2013 02:45 #10377 by ave1
hi, I am Steve. Are you running this software on a 12S?

If so, would you send me the two or three zip files so I can install your present version of DeviaionTX software, on my 12S.
Or tell me the link where you downloaded those files, please?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please let me know. rbe2012 does great work, no one to help him very much it appears and I am looking for a more completed version that that I am running now so, I thought Id simply ask you for your vr, please.

More
29 May 2013 03:01 #10379 by Pattaya01
I am pretty new to this forum, but as far as I know there is a relatively good release here:

www.deviationtx.com/forum/builds/1401-de...new-widescreen-build

I think what rbe is doing is not yet ready for release. It is an experimental build, only for helicopter, to test his configurable GUI for the Devo12.

A few posts ago he mentioned he needed some more time to re-write the code and will post it when he's done.

More
29 May 2013 03:19 #10381 by ave1
yes, glad you chimed in. you have solid thoughts about this software. I been visiting here for some time and rbe was kind enough to post a newer 12S version and its awesome but, I believe yours is still newer than mine. The links you sent were not those and led me not to the files.

Thanks

Steve

More
29 May 2013 03:30 - 29 May 2013 03:31 #10382 by Pattaya01
Something that you can run on your Devo12 is to be found on post 7568 on the link I sent you. I do not have anything newer that you cannot find in this forum. I am not a builder, just having a look at what rbe is building. So I guess you have to be patient until he comes with something new.

Check one page earlier on this thread and you see what I have been testing from him. The screenshot I put here are from that build, and the labels I just used Paint to modify to make clear what I was meaning. I am using the emulator and did not put it on my Devo12 yet.
Last edit: 29 May 2013 03:31 by Pattaya01.

• rbe2012
More
29 May 2013 06:18 #10385 by rbe2012
Ok, understood.
To give easier access to those who want to test I decided to upload the builds to bitbucket in my repo.
You can find the two dfu files and the emulator.
Us it with care and read the commit messages - not all versions may be better than the previous...

Attachments:

More
29 May 2013 08:06 #10389 by Pattaya01
Sorry for this stupid question, where to find your "bitbucket"?

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds