Devo12 wide screen configurable GUI (intermediate

• rbe2012
  • rbe2012's Avatar Topic Author
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
05 Jun 2013 12:58 #10598 by rbe2012
I wrote a longer answer but my browser has thrown it away.
The short form:

- positioning quite ready
- so far no small/big steps but needed
- no more alignment available
- 6 toggles: ok for test in next version, but maybe reduced later due to memory size
- one box for one switch: please do it by yourself: assign all three positions to the same switch and select only an icon at the appropriate position
- color changing is not nice, but result of the gui's object conception. maybe some improvements possible (later)
- reducing redrawing is next on my list

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2013 13:20 - 05 Jun 2013 13:24 #10599 by Wene001
Cool :-)

one box for one switch i did myself of course.
I only clarified why i need more then 4 Toggle elements.
Ail,Rud,Ele Dr - Mix,FM,Gear makes 6 Toggle Boxes needed

Thx for the great work on the config and the timer screen.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 13:24 by Wene001.

More
05 Jun 2013 13:43 #10600 by Kdean

rbe2012 wrote: I have uploaded a new version (82d1ef). This one has spacers as proposed by Wene01, but they are not saved yet (so they are lost when you switch models or power off the tx), but this should be sufficient for testing if they are useful.

The toggle issue is fixed, some pages (esp. tx config page) are redesigned for Devo12.

Good day,

I'm a new devo 12s user, and I'm currently running 3.0 deviation. I've only had it for two days now, and I love it. I've been a loyal user of the 2081pro for a few years, and was watching the development of deviation so I could know when to make the leap into devo.

I want to be involved with testing as much as I can, and I am compiling all the zip files I need to start working/testing with the progressive builds. Can you please post a link to where I can download your latest build? I would like to start using the full potential of the big screen.

Thank you for your time and talent.

• rbe2012
More
05 Jun 2013 13:55 #10601 by rbe2012
I have published a new version which includes the ability to position every screen element at an adjustable position (x-position is fixed, but y is variable).
Use the up/down arrows previously used for top/bottom alignment. Short tip / click results in one pixel up/down, longer in steps of 10 pixels.
Elements above the moved element are not affected; those beyond are moved identically so the distance stays the same. No limit while shifting down; shifting up is only possible to the border of the element above.

This version still has some issues when trying to insert new elements. I will work on this later.

Sorry Wene, I forgot to enable the 6 toggle boxes. I will do this next time (if you compile by yourself: it is included in the actual sources). For Devo12 we would need HOLD and TRN too...

• rbe2012
More
05 Jun 2013 14:05 #10602 by rbe2012

Kdean wrote: ...I want to be involved with testing as much as I can, and I am compiling all the zip files I need to start working/testing with the progressive builds. Can you please post a link to where I can download your latest build? I would like to start using the full potential of the big screen...

Welcome Kdean,
you can get sources and executables in my repo:

rbe2012 wrote: ... you can build it from my repository at bitbucket (link is somewhere above) or you can download the ready-to-run-versions also from bitbucket: bitbucket.org/rbe2012/deviation-rbe-emu_devo12/downloads .
You will find a Devo12 version there and also one for Devo8. It is indeed the identical code which runs on both models (besides some different limits and screen positions depending on its size, of course).
I have placed a file "Version_XXXXXXX" there, which indicates the commit I have used to build the files...

More
05 Jun 2013 14:07 #10603 by Kdean
I'm also curious to know if the 12s can use the BeastX theme? Does it simply streach the image, or give boarders? I know this was mentioned in the theme thread, but was wondering if some codeing was done to make the themes usable in both 8s and 12s without any special "computer savy" steps (other than drag and drop).

More
05 Jun 2013 14:09 #10604 by Kdean

rbe2012 wrote:

Kdean wrote: ...I want to be involved with testing as much as I can, and I am compiling all the zip files I need to start working/testing with the progressive builds. Can you please post a link to where I can download your latest build? I would like to start using the full potential of the big screen...

Welcome Kdean,
you can get sources and executables in my repo:

rbe2012 wrote: ... you can build it from my repository at bitbucket (link is somewhere above) or you can download the ready-to-run-versions also from bitbucket: bitbucket.org/rbe2012/deviation-rbe-emu_devo12/downloads .
You will find a Devo12 version there and also one for Devo8. It is indeed the identical code which runs on both models (besides some different limits and screen positions depending on its size, of course).
I have placed a file "Version_XXXXXXX" there, which indicates the commit I have used to build the files...

Thankx, I alread put todays build in a folder to take home with me. :) I did not know you already put the 12s GUI upgrade in it.

• rbe2012
More
05 Jun 2013 14:12 - 05 Jun 2013 14:14 #10605 by rbe2012
EDIT: Answer to Kdean's BeastX-question

I am too.
First: using themes is not so easy with Devo12 because due to some flash memory limits some files (esp. the "media"-subdirectory) are packed into the devo12-lib.dfu while they are available via USB-filesystem in Devo8.
Second will be the size of the background image. There is no way to stretch the 320x240-image to the bigger 480x272-format. We had to place a new standard background image for the 480-size too. So the beastx-theme will probably need an additional image and it must be included in the library-dfu what needs a complete build environment for the deviation software.
The rest of the theme should work without change.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 14:14 by rbe2012.

• rbe2012
More
05 Jun 2013 14:16 #10606 by rbe2012

Kdean wrote: Thankx, I alread put todays build in a folder to take home with me. :) I did not know you already put the 12s GUI upgrade in it.

This is the 12s GUI upgrade... (actually) ;)

More
05 Jun 2013 14:21 #10607 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo12 wide screen configurable GUI (intermediate
A couple things:
The 4 icons used to add, remove, and move the squares are not real buttons. Every capability on the tx needs to be accessible purely by the up/down/left/right buttons, and these are not.

The 'Source' toggle-select is grey, indicating it can be clicked, but it can't be, so you shouldn't be supplying a press call-back function

If you press 'enter' to select an item then press 'right' you lose your changes. The left-right actions should probably be suspended as soon as you start editing

If you press enter twice, I would expect to toggle to the next item type (like pressing does) but this doesn't happen. You need to restore the selection to the proper place once you redraw.

Why is '18' the minimum spacer size?

Otherwise it really has come along nicely

More
05 Jun 2013 14:27 - 05 Jun 2013 14:30 #10608 by Kdean
ok, Looking at your bitbucket, I would need to download all the devo12 files to put through the dfuse right?

I have never flashed the firmware or even connected my tx to a computer yet. I'm new to this. Saw some vids on youtube and read as much as i could in this fourm, but there is still some "grey area" in my mind when it comes to the process.

This is my last distracting question that should be in another thread. Sorry
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 14:30 by Kdean.

• rbe2012
More
05 Jun 2013 14:35 - 05 Jun 2013 14:37 #10609 by rbe2012

PhracturedBlue wrote: A couple things:
The 4 icons used to add, remove, and move the squares are not real buttons. Every capability on the tx needs to be accessible purely by the up/down/left/right buttons, and these are not.

This is correct. Reason is that they have to be resized in dependency to the scale factor of the preview.
I thought about placing them in the headline (of the page, not the preview of course), but an assignment to a specific column is not possible. Might not matter at all as long as the selected element is clearly recognizable.

The 'Source' toggle-select is grey, indicating it can be clicked, but it can't be, so you shouldn't be supplying a press call-back function

It can't be pressed when the source is "None". If not, it leads to the toggle select page.

If you press 'enter' to select an item then press 'right' you lose your changes. The left-right actions should probably be suspended as soon as you start editing

If you press enter twice, I would expect to toggle to the next item type (like pressing does) but this doesn't happen. You need to restore the selection to the proper place once you redraw.

This is the thing what makes my head spinning around. Where can I find an example how to use or suppress key / button events?

A size less than 18 does not have enough space to show the number in the element.
The spacers are still available but unnecessary in the actual build because every element can vary in height EDIT: distance.

Otherwise it really has come along nicely

I am glad that you like it... I am sure I will fix the last issues too.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 14:37 by rbe2012.

• rbe2012
More
05 Jun 2013 14:41 #10610 by rbe2012

Kdean wrote: ok, Looking at your bitbucket, I would need to download all the devo12 files to put through the dfuse right?

No, only the two dfu-files (devo12.dfu and devo12-lib.dfu). Please take a look in the "User Manual" section to get a description how to update.

More
05 Jun 2013 14:54 #10611 by Pattaya01

Wene001 wrote: No funny spacer elements and intuitive to use.

Sorry, but you are the one who suggested the spacers...........

More
05 Jun 2013 16:43 - 05 Jun 2013 16:45 #10616 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo12 wide screen configurable GUI (intermediate

rbe2012 wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: A couple things:

This is correct. Reason is that they have to be resized in dependency to the scale factor of the preview.
I thought about placing them in the headline (of the page, not the preview of course), but an assignment to a specific column is not possible. Might not matter at all as long as the selected element is clearly recognizable.

You can create a label-box or even a blank image and then draw over it and still have it be selectable. See how the preview box worked on the original firmware (it isn't selectable, but could be)

It can't be pressed when the source is "None". If not, it leads to the toggle select page.

Sorry, I meant 'spin-boxes' in my description, this has nothing to do with toggles. Select a label box type, set the source to Ch3. The source-select spin-box appears to be able to be pressed, but cannot.

This is the thing what makes my head spinning around. Where can I find an example how to uvi se or suppress key / button events?

I think that if you restore the selection to the proper object this problem will go away. See GUI_GetSelected() and GUI_SetSelected()

A size less than 18 does not have enough space to show the number in the element.
The spacers are still available but unnecessary in the actual build because every element can vary in height EDIT: distance.

I don't understand. If I try to reduce the size below 18px, it wraps around to 181. Do you just mean there is never a need to adjust less than 18 pixels?
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 16:45 by PhracturedBlue.

• rbe2012
More
05 Jun 2013 16:53 #10618 by rbe2012
I will look at this later.
Just for now: 181 is the maximum size for the spacer (from under the object above to the border of the screen, minus borders and element distance). You can move all text select fields in both directions - they will wrap around. It makes it easier to reach some values (like Virt10 - go one left from NONE is easier than to go 22x right...).
18 is the minimum spacer height for being able to select it on the screen (ok, could be about 5 pix) and to write its height inside. But they are outdated - so no use of improving them.

Thank you for your hints, I will check this later.

More
06 Jun 2013 07:19 #10633 by Pattaya01

rbe2012 wrote: But they are outdated - so no use of improving them.

You are developing faster than I can test :-) When will the next release be available?

• rbe2012
More
06 Jun 2013 09:08 #10636 by rbe2012
Depends on the needs my family has...

I think I will provide a new version in the later evening (say 12 hours from now).

• rbe2012
More
06 Jun 2013 21:26 #10655 by rbe2012
Ok, I'm a few minutes too late (actually 12h1min), but writing this post will need some time...

I have pushed a new version. I have changed one basic thing: the property fields on the left and the action buttons are not shown together anymore. You can switch between those with a long press of the selected element (did not find a way to do with via the keys).
This was intended to be a test if this would lead to an easier handling and better overview. I need your feedback: please tell me what you think is better and what you like more.

Some more changes: elements are selected now with the means of the gui, so they are not shown as a red framed white box but inverted with a light blue frame. This especially improves the use of the keys (thanks, PB).
New elements are inserted where enough space is. This can be at top or bottom or between two elements. I will have to add a method to exchange two elements to make sure you can place every new element wherever you want (later...).
There is still an issue with the change of an element's type: the elements beyond are not moved and this can lead to overlapping elements. I had simply not enough time to fix this; please don't consider this as an error but as "work in progress".

More
07 Jun 2013 01:41 #10661 by Pattaya01
It became a little bit less intuitive, if you click once instead of long click, changes to the next and your selection is gone. If possible, do the property fields AND the action fields again. Otherwise, this is just a matter of "getting used to" I guess.

This version is more flexible as far as placing is concerned.

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds