Installing Frsky M9 Gimbal into Walkera Devo12S

More
08 May 2017 01:36 #62127 by magic_marty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2017 07:45 #62293 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Installing Frsky M9 Gimbal into Walkera Devo12S
Finished the mod had a few problems but managed to work them out..Had a hard time with the Aux knobs on the outside of the tx hitting the gimbals but after a bit of tinkering got them worked out..Other problem is when i switched the min-max i couldn't get -100 on the Throttle and Elevator so i had to manually experiment with the values in the tx.ini till i got it to -100 on both the Thr and Ele...
Still need to do some test flying but i believe it should fine...Also need to find some 3mm counter sunk screws for the gimbal plates the 2.5mm barely tightened up and i don't trust them holding very well a good bump on the sticks could pop them loose..:( So gonna search for some 3x10 counter sunk screws or maybe they called tapered head screws ..
Attachments:

More
14 May 2017 12:33 #62299 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic Installing Frsky M9 Gimbal into Walkera Devo12S
Looks nice. Yes, you may need some tinkering on the side knobs, but the problem may not be the same for all mods, I need to take away one screw on one side to make it perfectly fit. For the screws, I \use M2.6 x 10 tapper head self-tapping screw s and it fixed well. The original one is M2.6 x 10 as well, only the head is different.

More
14 May 2017 17:25 #62301 by magic_marty
Ordered these to replace the short ones i used will replace soon as they get here to insure the plates wont come loose..
www.ebay.com/itm/Redcat-Racing-S138-Coun...%26sd%3D122021865089

More
15 May 2017 02:20 #62310 by richardclli
Wow, the parts are so expensive........

More
20 May 2017 22:45 #62460 by magic_marty
Yes a bit pricey but i can confirm they are a perfect fit ...I received them yesterday and replaced the loose ones i used and they work great...

More
24 May 2017 15:27 #62527 by vlad_vy
It's interesting thing, one Taranis user got Frsky M9 gimbal with one axis reversed. So, it possible to reverse axis mechanically. I suspect that it can be implemented by rotating round magnet on stick axis on full sticks throw angle, clockwise or counterclockwise.

More
24 May 2017 17:15 #62528 by magic_marty
Might be worth a look it would make the mod a bit easier not to have to tinker with the min/max inputs on the txini ..

More
24 May 2017 23:21 #62532 by richardclli
Umm...... I think flipping the magnet may do the job. The magnet is hold in place with a screw, so flipping the magnet may change the polarity and make it works. I will try it if I have time. I am working on my final pretty mod with 0.06mm printing and Metal Color Spray.

More
25 May 2017 04:08 #62536 by vlad_vy
It's not change magnet polarity but shift north pole to other side of the sensor. I think that hall sensor react to north pole only.

More
25 May 2017 05:41 #62539 by magic_marty
I opened up my tx to get a closer look at the magnets...They are round and looks like a bit of a challenge to get them off meaning to nearly completely disassemble the gimbal..:( Plus not sure how to tell north from south pole on them unless a marker is used to carefully mark there position..Could be it just looks more complicated then it actually would be cause i didn't remove the gimbals i just took off one of the sensor chips to get a closer look at the magnet..

More
25 May 2017 06:02 - 25 May 2017 06:02 #62540 by vlad_vy
I think you need to mark on the magnet two positions, at min and max stick positions, then rotate magnet to next mark and try. If unsuccessful, then rotate to other mark and try. If unsuccessful, return to initial position.
Last edit: 25 May 2017 06:02 by vlad_vy.

More
26 May 2017 04:31 #62557 by richardclli
Already ordered another gimbal for investigation and see if this can be installed in my Devo 8S as well.B)

More
26 May 2017 11:20 #62560 by TomPeer
I do not know if this helps, but i saw this threat on rcgroups and it reminded me of this discussion.
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2.../page44#post37427443

More
26 May 2017 17:11 #62574 by magic_marty
Thanks for posting..That is defiantly a very easy way to reverse the sticks i will open my tx back up tonight and give it a try and report back the results...

More
26 May 2017 18:53 #62576 by saidem
I am interested in this change, but I do not know enough to get started. I just wanted to ask you, because of a change in technology, do the resistance values match between the potentometer and the hall gimbal effect?

More
26 May 2017 22:56 #62587 by magic_marty
I honestly don't know but i would think no, but the stick calibration process sets the min/max throws so it really shouldn't matter cause on the input screen it shows the same 100%+ and - after calibrating..

More
26 May 2017 23:40 #62588 by richardclli
There is nothing about resistance, potentiometer output a voltage instead, so the Hall Senor chip output a voltage just as the potentiometer did.

More
27 May 2017 06:35 #62593 by richardclli
My new Gimbal arrives, I checked the magnet, it is oriented like this:

And after I turned it 180deg, the polarity id reversed and it works.

Note: The N and S is marked as relative illustration, I never check which one is N and which one is S B)
Attachments:

More
27 May 2017 06:49 #62594 by richardclli
Just tried Devo 8S, seems it can ib installed without any trouble. Just need to 3D printed change parts for a bit.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds