Installing Frsky M9 Gimbal into Walkera Devo12S

More
06 Jun 2017 06:42 - 06 Jun 2017 06:52 #62848 by saidem
Thank you magic, finally the person remade me a 30$ offer in ABS with a finish at 30 microns I agreed to go a little faster. Gimbals are ordered.
Thanks for the clarification on the sticks.
BTW How do you charge your battery, do you use the Devention charger?
And have you already replaced the battery, by a li-po because the original batteries are not easy to find and expensive!
Last edit: 06 Jun 2017 06:52 by saidem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2017 07:26 #62851 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Installing Frsky M9 Gimbal into Walkera Devo12S
I am still using the stock battery and charger it seems to be lasting for good life and holds charge the same as it did new..

More
06 Jun 2017 07:33 #62852 by saidem
Ok, but I do not know how to check its condition because I bought my Devo 12S not new, and I do not want to have a battery break in flight.

More
06 Jun 2017 10:08 #62853 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic Installing Frsky M9 Gimbal into Walkera Devo12S
I have 2 batteries for Devo12S and one of them became bulk and I change the battery by buying a similar size 2S battery and modified it to a 1S battery. Obviously, I do not think the original battery is a good battery and it does not have 3000mAh. BTW, I think it is easy to work out a 3D printing battery case for Devo12S, haha.

More
15 Aug 2017 13:18 #63809 by voyn

richardclli wrote: I am glad to hear that you love this mod. I am working on a mod for Devo 8S now, not sure if anybody interested.

Absolutely interested! I've been noticing some slight imprecision around center stick on my 8S, and it's started to make me worry. I hate to think of finding some sort of adequate replacement for the whole thing, because I don't think there is one.

More
25 Aug 2017 17:41 #63980 by NotFastEnuf
Replied by NotFastEnuf on topic Installing Frsky M9 Gimbal into Walkera Devo12S
I am also interested in modding an 8s. I wonder if the qx7 hall gimbals would be a better fit for it. This was recently suggested to me by a pretty smart dude. Anyway, I'm in if you share a file for the 8s!

More
30 Aug 2017 06:51 #64028 by Scccc
How can update my new devices to the deviation 5.0.0 forward??

More
01 Sep 2017 06:17 #64089 by richardclli
I am quite busy these few weeks. I will continue to work on Devo8S when I have spare time. I think the gimbals would fit in Devo8S even better than Devo12S, however the 3D printing parts need to be modified.

More
01 Sep 2017 12:42 #64095 by NotFastEnuf
Thanks! This topic finally pushed me to get a 3d printer so I have one arriving at the end if the week. I will also assist in modifying the file as soon as I get it assembled and printing correctly. Wish me luck!

More
02 Sep 2017 12:49 #64133 by richardclli
Ha, you are awesome. Well, if you want to modify the design, you can try to learn the free 3D tools "Blender". I can give you the blender format to work with if you think this can help you out.

More
02 Sep 2017 12:58 #64134 by NotFastEnuf
I should not say no to any help offered... so that sounds great! I admit, I have not looked at the previous zip file you posted yet to see what is inside. I have only used sketchup before, and plan to learn fusion 360. But any head start in designing the part will be appreciated and save me lots of time. I still have to get a new printer working properly and receive the gimbals in the mail so it may be a few weeks till I get it done. So you think I should order the qx7 gimbals? Or just stick to the m9?

More
04 Sep 2017 02:41 #64153 by richardclli
You should use blender. It is simple and easy to use and you can find tons of tutorials about designing for 3D printing using blender in youtube. Here is the official site:

www.blender.org/

More
04 Sep 2017 02:46 #64154 by richardclli
Wow, just figured out there are now 2 gimbals M7 and M9, not sure what is the differences, will check out when I have spare time.

More
04 Sep 2017 02:51 #64155 by NotFastEnuf
The m7 units appear to be lower profile from pictures. Not sure if we need that clearance or if it will help. I will start looking into blender. Thank you for the advice!

More
04 Sep 2017 03:17 - 04 Sep 2017 03:23 #64156 by M8A4X
According to a comparison of the two gimbal units dimension wise you do not get any lower profile inside the transmitter. You can find the comparision here: Frsky M9 to M7 gimbal compared

The "lower profile" comes only with the stock mounting plates for the respective transmitter but this plate is exchanged by the ones richardclli designed.

Nonetheless I am so tempted to do this mod on my 12S, got all the parts lying around but there is no real need for it. But, in general our hobby isn't really based on "needs", or is it ;)
Last edit: 04 Sep 2017 03:23 by M8A4X.

More
16 Oct 2017 19:50 #65089 by bricamac
Thanks for this tutorial. I could install Frsky M9 into my Devo 12S without any problem.

Best regards

More
17 Oct 2017 03:41 #65091 by richardclli
Glad to hear that you have successfully worked out the mod. Enjoy it. B)

More
04 Dec 2017 21:01 #66337 by sv650s
Hi
I've just made the mod, it's cool
Need use many times dremel for all go inside well, reverse of 180° magnet on throttle and elevator, and just made a new calibration of sticks in the de o 12s
Great mod ! Good job !
Thanks for this trick

More
08 Dec 2017 21:02 #66413 by jejeg
Attachments:

More
10 Dec 2017 11:41 #66428 by M8A4X
Hello jejeg!

No, it doesnt. This is the Frsky M9R gimbal with reduced throw on the stick. Its mounting plate and hole alignment is the same as M9 gimbal, so it also needs the mounting plate that richardclli designed.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds