Removing shield and diode 7E for better reach

More
05 Mar 2016 11:47 - 05 Mar 2016 15:11 #44138 by aMax
Well done.
I missed something like this since long. The last step to 150 mW seems to provide you not only little more power
but also more interference.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 05 Mar 2016 15:11 by aMax. Reason: ..grammar..:-(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2016 12:27 #44141 by mwm
150mW has generally been disrecommended for a while now. As noted, it doesn't provide a lot of extra output power, but consumes a lot more power. It's really for scratching the last little bit out of the range.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
05 Mar 2016 16:18 #44154 by RumbleBeeAL
Replied by RumbleBeeAL on topic Removing shield and diode 7E for better reach

aMax wrote: Well done.
I missed something like this since long. The last step to 150 mW seems to provide you not only little more power
but also more interference.

mwm wrote: 150mW has generally been disrecommended for a while now. As noted, it doesn't provide a lot of extra output power, but consumes a lot more power. It's really for scratching the last little bit out of the range.

Thank you both and I agree with you. It was late and the test bed setup was very simple as the Laptop was in my lap and the Unit Under Test was within reach (~24" between the two) so that I could easily make adjustments to output power an monitor the screens.

The data does in fact that with each adjustment in power level, the RX Spectrum Analyzer noticed increased power respectively. I suppose with any amplifier/gain adjustment, noise will be playing part of the equation. It all boild down to the quality of components.

I suspect this would be less noticeable in testing at greater distances between the TX and RX which I plan to do in a similar fashion.

More
27 Mar 2016 18:24 - 30 Mar 2016 16:47 #45281 by saidem
Hello,
I wonder if we can replace this module into a Devo 7E, has no shield. I saw in discussions he always had to put again to avoid interference. What do you think?
Many thanks.
www.buychina.com/items/2-4g-module-cyrf6...m-module-uuruunslkhi
Last edit: 30 Mar 2016 16:47 by saidem.

More
30 Mar 2016 18:50 #45454 by jejeg
I do not know if this module can replace the original one but the price is interesting. ;)

More
01 Apr 2016 16:31 #45583 by saidem
That's why it interests me and the port is not very expensive. But my dear friend, your answer does not help me much. Does everyone tried it? :)

More
01 Apr 2016 16:33 #45584 by victzh
This module under different name is listed in the documentation. It should work, but I personally did not try it.

More
04 Apr 2016 19:31 - 04 Apr 2016 19:31 #45793 by bombarie
Replied by bombarie on topic Removing shield and diode 7E for better reach
AARGH, I've been stupid and accidentally desoldered another SMD component next to the diode I *should* have removed. I'd hugely appreciate any insights into which component this might be (the component's gone.. I unfortunately lost it). It looks to be another diode, but I'm not sure. AARGH, I've done tons of soldering in the past but never this small, I'm embarrassed that this has happened :-/

I also installed an a7105 and nrf24l01 module into this Devo 7e and they both work just fine! However, my DSM2 receiver isn't binding anymore.
Tips or ideas are hugely appreciated!
Last edit: 04 Apr 2016 19:31 by bombarie.

More
04 Apr 2016 21:26 #45796 by RumbleBeeAL

bombarie wrote: AARGH, I've been stupid and accidentally desoldered another SMD component next to the diode I *should* have removed. I'd hugely appreciate any insights into which component this might be (the component's gone.. I unfortunately lost it). It looks to be another diode, but I'm not sure. AARGH, I've done tons of soldering in the past but never this small, I'm embarrassed that this has happened :-/

I also installed an a7105 and nrf24l01 module into this Devo 7e and they both work just fine! However, my DSM2 receiver isn't binding anymore.
Tips or ideas are hugely appreciated!

How about removing the right one and reinstalling that component on the pads where you accidentally removed it from - if that's still an option.

Note, this is not a diode, it appears to be a 10k Ohm resistor based on measurements taken on the one I pulled off measured, then replaced and solder-bridged across form one pad to the other. This way I was able to save the component if I needed to revert back for some unknown reason. Based on field testing, I'll likely leave it as is and the power output is increased by this mod.

As another option, you could purchase the replacement module and replace this board for a sound solution.

I hope this helps.

More
04 Apr 2016 22:43 #45804 by bombarie

RumbleBeeAL wrote: How about removing the right one and reinstalling that component on the pads where you accidentally removed it from - if that's still an option.

Sadly it isn't. I previously had already removed the component that the normal walk-through would have you remove but didn't want to post that picture since it's much messier.

RumbleBeeAL wrote: Note, this is not a diode, it appears to be a 10k Ohm resistor based on measurements taken on the one I pulled off measured, then replaced and solder-bridged across form one pad to the other. This way I was able to save the component if I needed to revert back for some unknown reason. Based on field testing, I'll likely leave it as is and the power output is increased by this mod.

Do you mean that the component I pointed out in my picture is a 10kohm resistor or that the diode that this topic mentions in the first place is (also) a 10kohm resistor?

RumbleBeeAL wrote: I hope this helps.

It has so far, thank you!

More
04 Apr 2016 23:07 #45807 by RumbleBeeAL
At first glance and by looking at the photo you provided, the two components in question appear to be the same type. With regard to values, measuring while off the PCB is the only real way to know if they are both 10k ohm resistors.

Yes, my comment about the correct location part does indeed have properties of a resistor, not a diode. But there quite possibly could have been an ECO that changed it from a slide to a resistor over the years - something that Walkera would not necessarily feel the need to share with us.

If you were close by, I'd say I'd be happy to put a component on the board for you. However, shipping it both ways would prohibit this. Your best bet may be to purchase the replacement module and simply replace it if you don't have any components you can use at this point.

More
05 Apr 2016 09:55 #45821 by bombarie
Okay, good to know. Thanks for clearing it up. I'm just going to order that replacement module I guess. No way I'm soldering a miniscule component like that in place. I've done SMD soldering before but compared to these little guys they were huge :)
Well actually, if I have the replacement module coming in anyway I'm going to sacrifice the current module to science and just see what I can get away with. In any event, thanks for helping me out.

More
05 Apr 2016 13:32 #45828 by RumbleBeeAL
That's cool. No problem.

If you end up setting the original TX daughter board aside, consider sending it to me with shield for rework. After rework, I'd set aside for someone else that runs into a similar issue and "pay it forward" so to speak. I'm sure someone would be able to utilize it down the road.

More
05 Apr 2016 15:27 #45831 by bombarie
Deal! I'm actually finding that that replacement module is difficult to find anywhere so I might end up having to fix my creation myself, but if I do end up with the upgrade I'd be happy to send it to you. In which country do you live?

More
05 Apr 2016 15:57 #45840 by RumbleBeeAL
Alabama, USA

More
08 May 2016 19:29 #48065 by Peaceliker
Replied by Peaceliker on topic Removing shield and diode 7E for better reach
Hi Guys!

I made the range mod, but with my mcpx i have only some meter range. With orange receiver its was better, but not tested exactly jet.
Mut if i killed the 7e tx modul what can i do? I cant find devo 8s module on net now. :( Maybe any orange tx module can workable with my 7e?
Thanks

More
08 May 2016 23:40 #48079 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Removing shield and diode 7E for better reach
which method did you use for the range mod? are you sure you have a good low resistance continuity across the diode pins?

More
09 May 2016 06:43 - 09 May 2016 06:43 #48093 by dc59

RumbleBeeAL wrote: Note, I did not test before performing the hardware mod by bypassing the 10k Ohm resistor (more commonly being referred to as diode) followed by editing the hardware.ini file within the root folder. However, I plan to measure a stock Devo 7E before mods are performed under similar test conditions.

I also plan to perform similar testing at distance in open field as time permits.

Looking forward to your test result after mods. :cheer:
Last edit: 09 May 2016 06:43 by dc59.

More
09 May 2016 18:12 #48128 by Peaceliker
Replied by Peaceliker on topic Removing shield and diode 7E for better reach
I just removed the dioda and made a short the 2 point. I will cheack the range soon with the orange receiver again, cause last time it was pretty good....just with the mcpx s have only some meters...strange....

More
09 May 2016 22:31 #48140 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Removing shield and diode 7E for better reach
if the range is good with the orange rx i would check that the mcpx main board has no cracks in the traces, and that the antenna wire has a good connection, as they have been known to snap off over time

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds