Jumper T8SG - First TX stock running on Deviation

More
01 Sep 2017 19:59 #64109 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic New TX from Banggood

goebish wrote: Replacing the USB bootloader requires some work on Deviation, that's not just a matter of burning another one.
I could have a look at that but probably not before October.

I looked into this a while back. From what I saw, it shouldn't require any changes to the firmware. The last step in the build process takes a standard dfu file and obfuscates it ala Walkera. That involves a per-tx parameter that tweaks the obfuscation a bit. Setting it to 0 results in no obfuscation, so you should be able to just create a new build target that sets it to 0. Maybe just skip the step.

Of course, I never actually tested this, so...

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2017 22:55 #64110 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic New TX from Banggood
@mwm
Hi Mike, would you please send a PM to me for your phone no. ? shipping company need it, thank you!

More
02 Sep 2017 00:19 #64111 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic New TX from Banggood
We already support the AT9 which doesn't need any encryption. the changes the Deviation are primarily is mucking with the ld file to deal with where program loading should start and disabling encryption (and ensuring there are DFuSE tools available. Walkera's bootloader is basically the stock bootloader with a button-test check, code to enable the display and show their logo, and the obfuscation code. There is an AN somewhere with the recommended stock DFuSE bootloader, and I think this Tx would have more than enough room for it. But as I mentioned, if they are planning to ship next week, it is already too late. To ease user support it would be better if they keep things consistent across time rather than change things that provide minimal end-user benefit but make support more difficult.

As far as swapping the bootloader, the big issue is that if you screw it up, you need an STLink. If you screw us firmware loading, you just do it again. I am not comfortable providing a recommendation that has any significant risk of bricking a user's Transmitter. We've already had enough issues with users not being able to install Deviation; I don't even want to comprehend the horror that would go with a bootloader upgrade.

More
02 Sep 2017 07:04 #64124 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic New TX from Banggood
Actually, you don't need an ST-Link if you screw up the bootloader. The ROM bootloader on USART1 (as described in AN2606 ) just needs a TTL-level serial connection. The protocol is described in AN3155 , and there's an open source implementation of the protocol. On the other hand, that's not much of an improvement. I'm not comfortable requiring a path that is that painful to back out of, but I'd like to see the builds made available for users who are comfortable with the standard tools.

FWIW, there's a dfu usb bootloader in the libopenc3 examples. If we were going to use one, that's where I'd start as we're already using libopencm3.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
02 Sep 2017 07:19 #64125 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New TX from Banggood
Already 86 preorder and 401 whishlsted.
This true open source deviationtx transmitter may boost the project and the community..........

More
02 Sep 2017 07:35 #64128 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic New TX from Banggood

Fernandez wrote: Already 86 preorder and 401 whishlsted.
This true open source deviationtx transmitter may boost the project and the community..........

Definitively .... I dreamt of such radio.... I hope it will be soon easy to upgrade new build on it. I am pretty sure, there will be new edition with improved screen, gimbals, swtiches, etc...

More
02 Sep 2017 12:29 #64131 by goebish
Replied by goebish on topic New TX from Banggood

PhracturedBlue wrote: Walkera's bootloader is basically the stock bootloader with a button-test check, code to enable the display and show their logo, and the obfuscation code.

Thanks for the clarification, I had never looked into that and I though there was more Walkera IP involved.

More
02 Sep 2017 16:25 #64135 by Moeder
Replied by Moeder on topic New TX from Banggood
Well I guess from the information we have, we'll have to live that the new tx for now will run the devo7e-256 target.

As the manufacturer seems cooperative in sending out some transmitters to developers we should get them some feedback on their first batch including suggestions for improvements. Those things could then hopefully be implemented in an improved tx from the same mfg with the stock boot loader with it's own name and revision information for which we (or they together with us) in turn will immediately make a new target (or even lineup of targets :P) available. Long live deviation ;)

More
02 Sep 2017 22:18 #64137 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic New TX from Banggood
The question still remains as to why the hell Walkera never got onboard and leveraged off the dev work here to become the main Taranis competitor

More
03 Sep 2017 06:13 #64139 by YJ
Replied by YJ on topic New TX from Banggood
Interesting. I hope the manufacturer can work with the developers to make it a real good product (and probably bring some incentive to those who wrote the code?)

Feature wise I'd really like to see the flight mode switch on the left front shoulder and throttle hold switch on the right rear shoulder. A momentary switch on the left shoulder would be a nice plus since there are more and more applications requiring a "panic button".

More
03 Sep 2017 08:45 #64140 by RoGuE_StreaK
Good point YJ, I'd thought of the shoulder switches (mods to the 6S, as per the 8S) but forgot about writing it. The momentary on the left shoulder is definitely useful, good for DLG launch mode, also Trainer mode?

More
04 Sep 2017 01:25 #64152 by dc59
T8SG manufacture reply me , they will send 6 T8SG(USB port has been modified, you don't need to open case, just open battery door) TXs in this week to developers
PhracturedBlue
mwm
FDR
Hexfet
Geobish
Moeder

I can't reach victzh(he's very busy for his job as I know.) and Vladislavy

Shipment included:
T8SG x1
Futaba compatible 4ch RX x1
Handbag x1
Neck Strap x1

and they are trying to upgrade hall sensor gimbal , prototype will be released after 1 month later.

More
04 Sep 2017 05:37 #64157 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic New TX from Banggood

dc59 wrote: T8SG manufacture reply me , they will send 6 T8SG(USB port has been modified, you don't need to open case, just open battery door) TXs in this week to developers
PhracturedBlue
mwm
FDR
Hexfet
Geobish
Moeder

I can't reach victzh(he's very busy for his job as I know.) and Vladislavy

Shipment included:
T8SG x1
Futaba compatible 4ch RX x1
Handbag x1
Neck Strap x1

and they are trying to upgrade hall sensor gimbal , prototype will be released after 1 month later.

I asked to BG to send directly to Victzh, so he will grab one too. BG will probably receice the first batch this week.

More
04 Sep 2017 06:42 #64158 by dc59

SeByDocKy wrote: I asked to BG to send directly to Victzh, so he will grab one too. BG will probably receice the first batch this week.

Thanks SeBy! :)

More
04 Sep 2017 10:28 #64160 by Moeder
Replied by Moeder on topic New TX from Banggood
That sounds good. Maybe you can ask them to delay the prototype for a few weeks so we can give feedback and make suggestions. I myself would love to see voice on board, probably only far less than 5 usd in parts for the manufacturer and a very definite improvement (I already have several ideas to further improve voice menu in deviation as well).

dc59 wrote: T8SG manufacture reply me , they will send 6 T8SG(USB port has been modified, you don't need to open case, just open battery door) TXs in this week to developers

More
04 Sep 2017 13:10 #64162 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New TX from Banggood
Some of the positives for me comparded to 7e
-The pcb looks clean and tidy.
-I like the up down, left right 4 switch button layout seems more intuitive to use than button layout on 7e.
-2 analog pots channels are available.

I really hope:
-power and charge circuitry is improved compared to devo. (Charge a protected cell liion/lipo over USB)
-Convenient USB location for use as HID flight simulator. (On top. Ext to antenna?)
-Voice MOD on pcb, (dfplayer and speaker), slot for the SD card to reach via battery tray.

-Pinouts for Switches, or push buttons...
Myself I use: 2pcs 3way switch and 6pcs 2way total 8 switch on my U7E, so I hope the pcb has all cpu pins wired to jst connectors, so switches can be setup as per liking following the switches matrix and hardware.ini, maybe some extra blind holes can be premoulded in the housing with rubber stops?

More
04 Sep 2017 18:52 - 04 Sep 2017 18:53 #64167 by Brainstorm
Replied by Brainstorm on topic New TX from Banggood
dc59 and All: Great to hear the manufacturer of this compact multi-protocol TX has been open to feedback from the Deviation developers!

Since I still haven't had a chance to install the 4-in-1 RF module in my Devo 7e, I pre-ordered one of these Jumper T8SG, despite the potential "public beta" risk. Based on the change from "shipping Sept. 4" to "coming soon," it sounds like BG may have delayed the initial release. So I'll be following this thread closely for any updates.

On the hall sensor question, having high-quality gimbals in a compact TX like this would be incredible! I haven't seen any information whether the switches are 2- or 3-position. But it would obviously be nice to have 3-position switches, instead of end users having to replace 2-position switches first thing.

I also agree that it would be nice to see improved ergonomics, similar to the Devo 7e. The 7e's shape and rubber grips are unequaled in a compact TX. This is perfect for travel. And the kids (with small hands) can have a TX that is on par with the grown-up versions. ;)
Last edit: 04 Sep 2017 18:53 by Brainstorm.

More
04 Sep 2017 23:35 #64171 by yets
Replied by yets on topic New TX from Banggood
Anyway we could twist the manufacturers arm's to make the hall sensor gimbals compatible to Devo 7E, I'm pretty sure there'd be a lot of happy buyers... I can only dream

More
05 Sep 2017 00:28 #64172 by RoGuE_StreaK
Future suggestion; make the front silver plate replaceable, with multiple colours available as optional add-ons. Seems quite a few people like to add their own bit of personality.
Oh, and make sure the stick ends are standard M3 so they can be readily swapped out.

LOL, I just came across pictures of the Futaba T8FG...

More
05 Sep 2017 00:37 #64173 by dc59

Brainstorm wrote: I haven't seen any information whether the switches are 2- or 3-position. But it would obviously be nice to have 3-position switches, instead of end users having to replace 2-position switches first thing.

There are 4 * 3-way switch on my prototype T8SG! :lol:

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds