Jumper T8SG - First TX stock running on Deviation

More
24 Aug 2017 05:16 #63955 by Whatsinaname
Replied by Whatsinaname on topic New TX from Banggood

FDR wrote: I wouldn't think twice to drill a hole into the back side... ;)

vlad_vy wrote: You can use mini-USB extension cord to battery box.

Both valid points but again the direction they were going would have tried to avoid any other required modification beyond firmware updates or gimbal swaps.

At $99 and you need to give yourself access to the usb port it doesn't shine well against a devo 10 or even a devo7e. But that's just my opinion. I did say I was trying to play fair :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2017 05:17 #63956 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic New TX from Banggood

More
24 Aug 2017 08:16 #63957 by Nitro_123
Replied by Nitro_123 on topic New TX from Banggood
I came here to post this thinking i'd be very surprised if we had missed it.
Turns out the deviation community hasn't :)
Personally i'm happy to see something like it. Going to be very interesting.
I wish this was released a LOT earlier (like early 2016 earlier). Would have been a good contender.
Right now it seems a bit iffy since the turnigy evolution and taranis qx7 exist.
Hope they actually talk to us and work with us later on...

More
24 Aug 2017 09:53 #63958 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic New TX from Banggood
Well, the QX7 plays on a different level due the M7 gimbals, the SD card and the module bay.
But for the Turnigy, I never would think about it.
If they had come out earler it would have at least prevented me from buying a multiprotocol module for my QX which I use most of the time
as substitude for my poor 7e. The 7 is now for the SCP only, I am more accoustomed to it.

..a link to the manual
img.banggood.com/file/products/20170822212057t8sg%20(1).pdf

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
24 Aug 2017 09:57 - 25 Aug 2017 01:27 #63959 by ajtank
Replied by ajtank on topic New TX from Banggood
As a commercial but not DIY transmitter, I was wondering if it could comply with FCC, CE, etc.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2017 01:27 by ajtank.

More
24 Aug 2017 15:35 #63964 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic New TX from Banggood
Sigh. Ok, it's good to see a commercial Tx running Deviaiton. It shows hope for the future. But, well, they f'ed it up.

The Taranis - you know, one of the best transmitters of the past decade - was a commercial radio running open source software. But FrSky did it right - they worked with the OpenTx developers to get the radio that everyone wanted, and make sure there were no idiotic mistakes, like not providing access to the USB port.

The new iterations of the TH-9X were at least announced beforehand, so there was some anticipation. But they didn't check with the developers or users, and the result was generally considered meh, at best.

As far as I can tell, this was announced by posting it on the BG site. Ugh.

To those of you who have it, where's the source? If they failed to provide it to you with the Tx, they're in violate of the license on DeviationTx, and stealing my property - and much more from people who've contributed a lot more.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
24 Aug 2017 17:19 - 24 Aug 2017 17:20 #63967 by Whatsinaname
Replied by Whatsinaname on topic New TX from Banggood

mwm wrote: Sigh. Ok, it's good to see a commercial Tx running Deviaiton. It shows hope for the future. But, well, they f'ed it up.

The Taranis - you know, one of the best transmitters of the past decade - was a commercial radio running open source software. But FrSky did it right - they worked with the OpenTx developers to get the radio that everyone wanted, and make sure there were no idiotic mistakes, like not providing access to the USB port.

The new iterations of the TH-9X were at least announced beforehand, so there was some anticipation. But they didn't check with the developers or users, and the result was generally considered meh, at best.

As far as I can tell, this was announced by posting it on the BG site. Ugh.

To those of you who have it, where's the source? If they failed to provide it to you with the Tx, they're in violate of the license on DeviationTx, and stealing my property - and much more from people who've contributed a lot more.

Agreed. It was a noble effort but not complete enough all the way around to justify its price point. My taranis qx7 has been great on the primary firmware side as well as with the multimodule but that's because, like you said, the manufacturer worked with the software developers to create hardware that was centered on it.

The takeaway is that frsky locked out the rf module so it isn't as integrated with the software the way deviation interacts with the modules on the devo transmitters. Minor sure but the little nuances is where you start to discern the differences between the two.

aMax wrote: Well, the QX7 plays on a different level due the M7 gimbals, the SD card and the module bay.
But for the Turnigy, I never would think about it.
If they had come out earler it would have at least prevented me from buying a multiprotocol module for my QX which I use most of the time
as substitude for my poor 7e. The 7 is now for the SCP only, I am more accoustomed to it.

..a link to the manual
img.banggood.com/file/products/20170822212057t8sg%20(1).pdf

The qx7 does not come with m7 gimbals standard. I had to add my m7 gimbals after purchase. The x9d+ and se come with m9s but the qx7 still uses magnetic pot gimbals as its stock gear.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2017 17:20 by Whatsinaname.

More
24 Aug 2017 18:20 #63968 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic New TX from Banggood
FDR pointed this out to me. I think thy hit the price-point and feature-set pretty well. I am concerned about overall quality of the sticks and switches, as well as whether they have properly isolated the analog routes (something Walkera was also not very good at). It would also be nice if they made the USB accessible.

I would be incredibly surprised if this has been FCC certified, but I personally think the 4-in-1 board has a good shot at passing the emissions requirements with the shield enabled, and Tx power limited to < 100mW, so who knows. CE is another question altogether though.

Note that the only source they need to provide is a link to Deviation itself, and the target code (if they have one, rather than just copying the debvo7e connectivity). I would never hold my breath for a company like this obeying our licensing, but depending on what changes they made, it may be just as simple as a one liner in the manual.

More
24 Aug 2017 20:16 #63970 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New TX from Banggood
It seem they not put the dfplayer chip onboard, so moeders voice mod can't be used without doing your own modification.

More
25 Aug 2017 05:36 - 25 Aug 2017 05:45 #63974 by TinuZ
Replied by TinuZ on topic New TX from Banggood
As I am very curious about it. So I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered one. Let's be honest our devo7e's are not that high quality either but the form factor is fantastic. Count a 4-in1 and the upgraded MCU I believe the price is spot on. Hope it will become a popular addition to the hardware for deviation as I would hate to see this project going on a dead end street. Perhaps better tx's will be made if this becomes a succes.

How bad can it be?
Last edit: 25 Aug 2017 05:45 by TinuZ. Reason: Afterthought

More
26 Aug 2017 02:28 #63983 by mwm
[quote="PhracturedBlue" post=63968Note that the only source they need to provide is a link to Deviation itself, and the target code (if they have one, rather than just copying the debvo7e connectivity). I would never hold my breath for a company like this obeying our licensing, but depending on what changes they made, it may be just as simple as a one liner in the manual.[/quote]

They have to provide the source to rebuild whatever is running on their transmitter. No "it's almost ..." or "We'll release it soon" bullshit: the GPL requires that they give those sources (or a pointer to them) to anyone they give the compiled code to, or they're giving away pirated software. If they're running an unmodified build of 5.0 using the U7E target, then the web site pointer is enough. If they've got their own target, as you say they need to provide that. But if they've tweaked the sources, they need to provide at least the patch files. That they buried the USB port makes me think that an open source build won't run on it, so they're pirates.

If they were going to listen, they would have talked to us before they released it. If we want to stop them from stealing from us, we'll have to hit them over the head. But - thanks to the MPAA & the like - there's a nice set of things available to hit them with.

More
29 Aug 2017 10:26 #64012 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic New TX from Banggood
I will try to help to contact with T8SG manufacturer, if they would like to cooperate with Deviation, what should they do ? or what should they provide? how can they get Deviation licensing ?

As I know , they will change USB connector location then you can connect USB just open battery door, and also they will improve the gimbal , maybe it will have hall sensor gimbals just like M9 gimbal on X9D+.

The pictures which posted by vlad_vy were taken by me, if there is anyone who need more information about this TX, I will try to provide more info. & pictures , because they sent me a prototype T8SG.

More
29 Aug 2017 10:30 #64013 by Sero
Replied by Sero on topic New TX from Banggood
They are supposed to be available 4th of September, that's very little time to do any changes :huh:

A day without flying can't be called a day.

More
29 Aug 2017 12:07 #64014 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic New TX from Banggood
If design improvements are considered, I have a request for the Voice module: IIRC on the devo7e-256 we can use UART 5 for voice and still use the trainer port for other ppm things. We need to have easy accesss to the trainer port, and we need to be able to access UART5 internally for voice mods. A header with TX, RX, Vcc (3.3v best, but 5v ok) and ground would be ideal. It would also be nice to have a planned place for the speaker and module, with good external access to the voice SD card and/or USB.

Implementing $10 in parts for Voice brings this TX to the best feature set for anywhere near this cost.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
29 Aug 2017 13:38 #64015 by Nitro_123
Replied by Nitro_123 on topic New TX from Banggood
I also have some suggestions.
One would be to have a very beefy power supply so that we can run more peripherals like the dfplayer off it. Maybe two step downs, one for the radio module and one for everything else.
Another would be to simply make it compatible with the taranis Mx gimbals.
Some POTs at the sides or back would be nice and so would extra switches.
Dfplayer support :P
An OLED panel would be nice too if it's not too reflective.
In order of preference I'd say dfplayer then good power circuitry then everything else
Hope I haven't said anything silly. Been a while :)

More
29 Aug 2017 19:22 #64017 by Moeder
Replied by Moeder on topic New TX from Banggood
@dc59:
I fully agree with the current wishlist. Could you make and post (here or in your blog) some high resolution pictures of the main pcb? I'm curious about the general layout and power supply and power switch circuitry.

More
29 Aug 2017 20:55 #64018 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic New TX from Banggood

mwm wrote: If they were going to listen, they would have talked to us before they released it. If we want to stop them from stealing from us, we'll have to hit them over the head. But - thanks to the MPAA & the like - there's a nice set of things available to hit them with.

To be realistic, this is a Chinese company not selling into the US market (as the devices are almost certainly not FCC approved). Depending on if they are contracted by Bangood, or Bangood is a reseller, it would be VERY hard to do anything about this. I think using a carrot would be the best approach. If dc59 has contacts here, we could encourage them to be an 'offically supported Deviation transmitter' which might even help their sales.

More
29 Aug 2017 21:38 #64019 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New TX from Banggood
and charge over usb port, holder for 18650 cells usb port on handy spot, such as top of tx.

More
29 Aug 2017 22:50 #64023 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic New TX from Banggood

Moeder wrote: @dc59:
I fully agree with the current wishlist. Could you make and post (here or in your blog) some high resolution pictures of the main pcb? I'm curious about the general layout and power supply and power switch circuitry.

If it's not good enough, please let me know, I will take a new picture for you.

Attachments:

More
30 Aug 2017 00:40 #64025 by mwm
I think they need to do two things in order to cooperate with us:
  1. Get preproduction units to some of the developers here.
  2. Have someone on these forums to get general feedback on them

Needs to happen preproduction so that the changes make it into production. And you can't really tell about things until they're in your hands. The developers should have the best feel for what's possible/coming, as well as a good feel for what the community wants.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds