Developing a universal module

More
27 Jul 2014 12:28 #24853 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Developing a universal module
one of the reasons for the single-board universaltx module we're developing is to solve exactly this problem. It would be very difficult to design a system to support one antenna to 4 modules. It requires a 50ohm balanced mechanical switch, and while they may be out there, I don't know how you'd find them. you'd also need to use 50ohm coax between the modules. I think the perfromance would likely be poor even if you did find the proper equipment. you absolutely cannot just usea radio-shack rotary switch.

Sadly, I have no idea when a universaltx module might be available.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2014 16:29 #24865 by nusbr
Replied by nusbr on topic Developing a universal module
Could not bind with Landbow X-Dart. Latest Build and Multimodule installed.

More
05 Aug 2014 12:09 #25029 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic Developing a universal module
Hello

For programming an ATTiny can i use programmer-devo 8 with a devo 12s?

More
05 Aug 2014 12:15 #25030 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic Developing a universal module

nusbr wrote: Could not bind with Landbow X-Dart. Latest Build and Multimodule installed.

Did you try some other "V202" compatible quads ?

More
05 Aug 2014 12:52 #25032 by nusbr
Have not other "V202" compatible quad. Is there a special Version of ATMEL (on Multimodule) needed for proper working, or does it work with all Versions?

Hubsan and Walkera works fine.

Best regards

More
05 Aug 2014 16:14 #25034 by SeByDocKy

nusbr wrote: Have not other "V202" compatible quad. Is there a special Version of ATMEL (on Multimodule) needed for proper working, or does it work with all Versions?

Hubsan and Walkera works fine.

Best regards

AFAIK, any ATtiny 24A-PU, 44A-PU or 84A-PU should work.

The Hubsan and walkera are using the A7105 and CYRF6936 respectively not the nRF24L01.

i) Check your hardware.ini if this one is well activated
ii) Check your connexions of your nRF24L01 with the MM

More
05 Aug 2014 20:17 - 05 Aug 2014 20:19 #25044 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Developing a universal module
Did you try one of these builds ?

Not sure if PB already included btoschi patch...

www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...dule?start=440#24684
Last edit: 05 Aug 2014 20:19 by blackmoon.

More
05 Aug 2014 21:49 #25048 by nusbr
I have Devo8S. Does not work with this build. Which Build is for 8S

More
07 Aug 2014 18:03 #25077 by nusbr
enable-multimod=A13
enable-cyrf6936=S0
has_pa-cyrf6936=1
enable-a7105=S1
has_pa-a7105=1
enable-cc2500=S3
has_pa-cc2500=1
enable-nrf24l01=S402
has_pa-nrf24l01=1

More
07 Aug 2014 18:41 - 07 Aug 2014 18:44 #25078 by btoschi
Replied by btoschi on topic Developing a universal module

nusbr wrote: enable-cyrf6936=S0
has_pa-cyrf6936=1

Sure you have original Cyrf module removed from 8S and soldered to universal module ?
Otherwise: Comment these lines out (prefix lines with ; )

nusbr wrote: enable-cc2500=S3
has_pa-cc2500=1

Same here - do you have a CC2500 soldered to universal module, if not comment these lines out.

In case you do have CC2500, NRF25 and A7105 soldered to the board - that's the exact setup which is mostly not working for me on Devo8S (no other to check) due to strange issues with SPI. Maybe power issue, ground level, ... Turning on/off TX multiple times, attaching/detaching USB cable / trainer cable / Logic analyzer / module itself may eventually lead to (parts?) of the module working (at least V2x2 did work sometimes).

It may also help when you tell us which RF Modules you've exactly used for your universal module (refer to PB's module list here: bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/wiki/ModuleList )
Last edit: 07 Aug 2014 18:44 by btoschi.

More
07 Aug 2014 20:18 #25082 by TomPeer
hello,

I want to put a universal module in a devo 7e.
Now i was wondering; when i solder a cyrf upgrade module (8 to 8s from banggood) to this board, will i get more range.
and do i have to remove the original.
Or is this just another dumb idea.

Thank you.

More
07 Aug 2014 20:37 #25083 by nusbr
Yes i have used the Original DEVO8S CYRF Module (This works fine)for MultiMod 1.2.

Used this CC2500 Module
www.aliexpress.com/item/CC2500-PA-LNA-wi...-2-4G/359941652.html
(Could not test if its work)

Used this NRF24L01
www.ebay.ch/itm/nRF24L01-Wireless-2-4GHz...&hash=item27e74e23f9

Used this A7105 Module
www.ebay.ch/itm/A7105-500m-Wireless-Tran...&hash=item2a29e3201a

MultiModule PCB V1.2

Atmel
www.ebay.ch/itm/5x-Atmel-ATTiny84A-PU-im...&hash=item3a8bac142d

AVR hex from 26.03.2014

More
07 Aug 2014 20:57 #25085 by TomPeer
Thanks.

Do i have to remove the original module.

More
07 Aug 2014 21:21 - 07 Aug 2014 22:30 #25087 by btoschi

nusbr wrote: Yes i have used the Original DEVO8S CYRF Module

In case its still in Devo, and not soldered to the universal module, you should not configure it to be accessed via universal module. ("Sx" lines in hardware.ini always means that this module's CSN line is accessible via universaml module). Just comment them out. (Since I'm building with my own changes, I'm using recent source code, just like the nighlies - I think the behavior here changed a while ago).

Regarding the rest of your setup, you're using the very same components like me - as such expect the same issues :P
I'm currently fiddling with the code handling module switching - my local changes allow me to disable installed modules by not listing them in hardware.ini - and removing CC2500 lines helps getting NRF being detected and working properly most times.
Edit:
In PROTOCOL_SetSwitch(), right before the for-loop:
  set |= 0xf;
  set ^= toggle;
(you can comment out the for-loop then)

Still sometimes 'nothing' gets detected (Debug output shows totally garbage on all MISO readings then, no CYRF, no MultiModule, no NRF, no A7105), sometimes only NRF is not detected (SPI_ConfigSwitch() is failing right before NRF reset gets called - making the checks fail and marking the chip as not being available).
Edit: I've found another fix for NRF not being detected:
In PROTOCOL_SetSwitch():
(replace the line with u8 set by this one)
  u8 set = 0; // CE of target - NEVER set

But these two cases are The remaining case is easily solved by turning transmitter off and on one or two times - just like PB already described.

Edit:
To clarify: My CC2500 module is not detected/working at all (I'm getting the 'CC2500 module missin' message when enabled in hardware.ini), but at least I can use the other RF modules on that universal module w/o issues with these changes.
And I suspect that I've done a bad solder job on the CC2500 ... I'll have to re-check that (lesson learned: next time first check any RF module with arduino before soldering onto something :P )

I'll discuss with PB if my fix is okay ...
Last edit: 07 Aug 2014 22:30 by btoschi.

More
08 Aug 2014 05:49 #25091 by SeByDocKy

btoschi wrote:

nusbr wrote: Yes i have used the Original DEVO8S CYRF Module

In case its still in Devo, and not soldered to the universal module, you should not configure it to be accessed via universal module. ("Sx" lines in hardware.ini always means that this module's CSN line is accessible via universaml module). Just comment them out. (Since I'm building with my own changes, I'm using recent source code, just like the nighlies - I think the behavior here changed a while ago).

Regarding the rest of your setup, you're using the very same components like me - as such expect the same issues :P
I'm currently fiddling with the code handling module switching - my local changes allow me to disable installed modules by not listing them in hardware.ini - and removing CC2500 lines helps getting NRF being detected and working properly most times.
Edit:
In PROTOCOL_SetSwitch(), right before the for-loop:
  set |= 0xf;
  set ^= toggle;
(you can comment out the for-loop then)

Still sometimes 'nothing' gets detected (Debug output shows totally garbage on all MISO readings then, no CYRF, no MultiModule, no NRF, no A7105), sometimes only NRF is not detected (SPI_ConfigSwitch() is failing right before NRF reset gets called - making the checks fail and marking the chip as not being available).
Edit: I've found another fix for NRF not being detected:
In PROTOCOL_SetSwitch():
(replace the line with u8 set by this one)
  u8 set = 0; // CE of target - NEVER set

But these two cases are The remaining case is easily solved by turning transmitter off and on one or two times - just like PB already described.

Edit:
To clarify: My CC2500 module is not detected/working at all (I'm getting the 'CC2500 module missin' message when enabled in hardware.ini), but at least I can use the other RF modules on that universal module w/o issues with these changes.
And I suspect that I've done a bad solder job on the CC2500 ... I'll have to re-check that (lesson learned: next time first check any RF module with arduino before soldering onto something :P )

I'll discuss with PB if my fix is okay ...

Good job :)

For your last remark, this is the reason why U used female and male connectors to build my MM... To make unitary testing...

More
08 Aug 2014 10:02 #25093 by nusbr
Where i can get a Software Version for DEVO8S with fix?

Thanks a Lot for this great Job :)

More
08 Aug 2014 19:33 - 08 Aug 2014 19:48 #25098 by btoschi
Here are my local changes compiled for Devo8.
Also attached a patch against current revision containing the relevant fixes.

These include:
* FIX for NRF protocols not working due to radio being turned off when using universal module
* FIX for NRF often not being properly detected on universal module due to CE being driven high during module detection
* FIX universal module enabling SPI (CSN=low) for chips which are not properly detected / not listed in hardware.ini (but maybe present on board)
* ADDED Ni Hui format option to YD717

Edit:
Note that I'm getting even CC2500 Module properly detected from time to time with these changes (some restarts of Tx and fiddling with cables / MM later). At least I can select FrySky protocol - nothing to check if its really working, though. Once it has been detected, it seems to be working even when power-cycling Tx multiple times (warm boot).
Even when removing universal module and pluggin in again when Tx is off. *strange*
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Aug 2014 19:48 by btoschi.

More
08 Aug 2014 21:20 #25099 by SeByDocKy
Good job,

I hope all your fixes and work it will be soon available in the next NB :)

More
13 Sep 2014 01:10 #25634 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Spare boards?
SebyDocky's tutorial (
, and thanks for that!) references osh park for the board, but they require you to by three (though they're not expensive).

This makes me wonder wether if an alternative source for the boards that might let me order them one at a time, or if having the spares is worth more than any cost savings?

Or maybe someone out there has leftovers they'd be willing to part with, and if so whether they can be priced low enough to make it worth the effort?

Thanks,
Mike

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
13 Sep 2014 02:00 #25635 by mikemacwillie
Replied by mikemacwillie on topic Spare boards?
Where abouts are you located? I have an extra one you're welcome to have. It's a slightly older rev (1.2), but it'll work fine.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds