Developing a universal module

More
23 Sep 2014 15:55 - 23 Sep 2014 16:02 #25773 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Developing a universal module
A single antenna is a good idea. Porcupines are awful.
Semiconductor RF-switches are very common, I've designed in a few different ones. At worst a separate board with mmcx type connectors could be used, but preferrably your multi chip-board should have it, with a single RF out, either a pig-tail coax or a connector.
Peregrine RF-switches are nice but there are others. I place and reflow down to 1x2 mm IC's by hand, (3x3 mm are not too bad) under 10x microscope, but ***studio can perhaps build them.
EagleCAD works OK after you get past the hump, KiCAD has possibility for logic errors, last time I checked, but some swear by it. In any case you end up making foot-prints/models for everything, chances are small that your specific parts have libraries already included.

The metal handle looks like a candidate for an antenna. A copper tape ground-plane culd be added to inside the case, and a tuning circuit needed. How good? I don't know, but it should not be too hard to find out. There are ceramic antennas available for WiFi which can be mounted inside the case, assuming it does not have to much RF-damping properties.

I just found the schematic for this multi-chip setup with a SKYWORKS switch:-)
Last edit: 23 Sep 2014 16:02 by moss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2014 21:29 #26164 by alibenpeng
Replied by alibenpeng on topic Developing a universal module
Speaking of Porkupines..

I've designed a little part to mount the multi-module as well as four antennas (or antennae, if you prefer) in a Devo8(s) without having to drill or cut the enclosure.

The files are over at github and a few pictures (along with the tl;dr) are on my blog .

More
30 Oct 2014 05:48 #26212 by TimChiaretto
Replied by TimChiaretto on topic Problem with Aux 5
I built a module using the 1.3 board. With three controlers mounted on it in my Devo 10 everything seemed to work on my first try but I ran into a problem. When i turn the Aux 5 reostat all the clockwise the Devo shuts down. I am using the lastest nightly build. When I remove the module the reostat works properly. Anyone have any idea what's wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim Chiaretto

More
06 Jan 2015 22:10 #27541 by burninmedia
Replied by burninmedia on topic Developing a universal module
Hello,
I'm attempting to install the V1.2 MM into my Devo10. i have checked the connectinos many times and am getting 2 error messages about missing modules.

CYRF6936
CC2500

I have tried using the latest firmware from a Frsky post but I'm not sure what directory structure I should be using with the latest dfu. Here is the post
www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...lity?start=240#26569

I used the files in the dir structure of the nightly build from the main webpage. But that nightly is over 6 months old.

So the question is where can I get a nightly that supports the MM and accompanying file structure.

Thanks,
burninmedia

More
06 Jan 2015 22:28 #27543 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Developing a universal module
The nightlies will work with the multi-module. However, there are issues with timing once you add the CC2500. See the responses to my questions about this .

Go back to the stock nightlies, and try things without the CC2500. If that works, a version with btoschi's code will at least get you better error messages. But there are multiple versions of that floating around, with different levels of correctness.

PhracturedBlue is apparently on another sabbatical. Hexfet seems to have the latest version. He's has been granted access to the deviationTx/deviation clone of things. If he'll create a pull request will all of those changes in it, I'll be more than happy to build one for you.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
07 Jan 2015 04:59 #27549 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Developing a universal module
My repo doesn't have any multi-module related changes beyond the nightly except btoschi's nRF24L01 initialization. Not sure that's related.

I'll be receiving a CC2500 soon and putting together a MM (now that I've got a backup radio so I can risk one :) Will look into it if I have issues.

More
07 Jan 2015 16:57 #27554 by burninmedia
Replied by burninmedia on topic Developing a universal module
Well since the only module I need right now is the cc2500. I removed the MM and installed just that module. and of course it works. So I'll wait till you guys get them working and then mess with this again.

More
08 Jan 2015 20:01 #27567 by mwm

hexfet wrote: My repo doesn't have any multi-module related changes beyond the nightly except btoschi's nRF24L01 initialization. Not sure that's related.

I couldn't find btoschi on bitbucket. Do you have a pointer for him?

Are you planning on submitting pull requests from your repo to deviationTx/deviation?

More
08 Jan 2015 22:39 #27570 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Developing a universal module
Don't know his bitbucket name. I downloaded the patch file he posted, but looking at my repo I didn't apply the whole patch - just edited YD717 to test it out.

I did figure out how to push to the shared repo and added a pull request for the SymaX changes. Was going to wait till the camera stuff is ready, but since you're making builds available some folks might like to download it.

More
08 Jan 2015 23:41 #27571 by mwm
Very cool.Thank you. I've approved it, so 50% of the team thinks it's ready to merge. I gave you write permission to the repo when you asked for it, so you should do the merge as you're more likely to notice if it screws something up. If you want me to, let me know and I'll do it. There should be an automated build done tonight if you get it merged. Or if not, because we've tweaked the makefile.

Any chance of getting you to create a pull request for btoschi's code? I'm going to try and get SebyDocky's FrSky code into one tomorrow.

Thanks.

More
02 May 2015 14:27 - 02 May 2015 14:28 #31953 by Smarti
Replied by Smarti on topic Developing a universal module
Hi,

I installed the MM 1.3 in my Devo7e. Well, I soldered everything right now. I fought it would be possible to programm the AVR with the Devo.

I have some questions now:
- Is there a DFU ready compiled I can use to programm the AVR with my Devo7e or do I have to use a external programmer?
- Is the AVR.hex from 31.03.2014 the latest?
- I went through the threat and found there is/was a issue about the CE pin of the nRF24L01 modul, is this problem solved?

would be great to get an answer :)

1. Devo 7e Ultimate: Multimodule - CC2500, NRF2401, A7105 + Switchmod + 2x Poti
2. Devo 7e Ultimate: 4in1 Modul, still upgrading ;)
Hobby Horizon 350 QX, QAV250 FPV Racer, JXD385, WLToys 272, Estes Proto X
Last edit: 02 May 2015 14:28 by Smarti.

More
02 May 2015 15:07 #31957 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Developing a universal module
I have uploaded a programmer for the devo7e to the uploads section. It is untested, but there is no reason it shouldn't work.

I don't recall which avr,hex is best. hopefully someone who has built one more recently can help there

More
02 May 2015 15:49 - 02 May 2015 17:18 #31962 by Smarti
Replied by Smarti on topic Developing a universal module
Hi,

thanks for your fast reply.

Well, I flashed the DFU, but nothing appears on the display...

Now I desolderd my MM, still the same... in this case I can use a programmer now.

Update
- The DFU for Devo7e seems working: I formatted the drive befor I installed the DFU, after I went back to the original fils on the file system I got following message:
Found AVR: 0b911e53
hex: 20bytes

The rest I can't read because it's messed up, maybe some number and "Verified"

This seems to be fine, but when I switch to normal deviationtx firmware, it tells me Missing Modul: MultiMod.

Whats "enable-switch=A13" for? It's written in the Wiki to add to the hardware.ini but there I already have "enable-multimod = A13". When I use "enable-switch=A13", the screen stays white...

1. Devo 7e Ultimate: Multimodule - CC2500, NRF2401, A7105 + Switchmod + 2x Poti
2. Devo 7e Ultimate: 4in1 Modul, still upgrading ;)
Hobby Horizon 350 QX, QAV250 FPV Racer, JXD385, WLToys 272, Estes Proto X
Last edit: 02 May 2015 17:18 by Smarti.

More
02 May 2015 18:34 #31972 by PhracturedBlue
something is wrong. 20 bytes is the wrong size for a hex file.

I don't know where 'enable-switch' came from. Maybe an intermediate build. I fixed the wiki. Debugging multimod issues is really difficult as you can't tell whether it is a soldering connection, a module issue, or a hex programming issue. It is likely you'll want to get a real programmer to ensure your multimod is properly programmed, since I am not currently setup to debug the programmer

More
21 May 2015 19:56 - 21 May 2015 19:57 #32839 by sherr
Replied by sherr on topic Developing a universal module
Maybe offtop in thie theme - can I use STM32F072 Discovery + NRF24L01board with Deviation firmware instead of this (of course
in limited variant)? Or may be open a new theme about fully DIY hardware - for example.- what LCD display to use., is it possible
to upgrade code - to use joystiks/potentiometres/buttons instead of PPM input and so on ...
Last edit: 21 May 2015 19:57 by sherr.

More
21 May 2015 20:31 #32841 by PhracturedBlue
the stm32f072 is actually quite limited as far as I/O goes. It also does not have a hardware divider. It is really not very well suited to use as a base for a DIY transmitter. The primary advantage of this chip is the USB bootloader without need of an external xtal. Otherwise use an STM32F1 or F2 with a 12MHz crystal

Getting Deviation to run on any STM32 board with sufficient ROM/RAM should not be too difficult, though I'm not aware of anyone having done so as yet.

More
04 Jun 2015 11:43 #33414 by racemaniac
Replied by racemaniac on topic Developing a universal module
I've just bought a devo 7e, and i've been reading up on these new developments.

I was wondering something about these universal modules: will they only be intended for adding new transmitters? i was thinking since you're making something custom, why not also add some connections for adding some buttons/switches/... to your remote? I would expect this to be very possible :), and would offer a solution for people who are short on buttons/switches on their transmitter :).
Or since there are 2 serial ports available in the remotes, 1 module for extra transmitters, and one expansion module for extra switches :).
But maybe this has already been discussed, but haven't seen any such suggestion yet when people were talking about this module :).

More
04 Jun 2015 12:59 #33416 by mwm
The universal module isn't designed for the 7e, so the only ones who would really benefit from it supporting extra switches, etc are those of us with a 6s. And that's not a very popular model.

You can already use one of the trainer port to add switches, etc to your Tx.

But useing the trim switches and navigation buttons as switches and analog inputs is a better option in most cases.

More
05 Jun 2015 08:28 #33461 by Philipp
Replied by Philipp on topic Developing a universal module

racemaniac wrote: why not also add some connections for adding some buttons/switches/... to your remote? I would expect this to be very possible :), and would offer a solution for people who are short on buttons/switches on their transmitter :)

It is indeed possible, have a look at this thread: www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...tion?start=100#22231

Currently the Devo 7E appears to be at its feature limit because of its small memory, therefore it is quite unlikely that support for additional switches via serial could be implemented.

More
05 Jun 2015 13:28 #33470 by PhracturedBlue
I am not sure what you are asking. There is a hardware mod for the 7e that provides 2 3-way switches (or the equivalent). If you want more, this can be done through the serial port if you can get the signals to PPM. The universal Tx board would be the wrong place to do this, and honestly the design is finalized. There isn't room on the board for anything more, and other than bugs, I don't expect any changes. the UniversalTx board can be fitted to a Devo7e, although it is certainly not plug-and-play.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds