Serial out for LRS boxes

More
02 Mar 2019 21:36 - 05 Mar 2019 06:53 #73128 by Rjx
Replied by Rjx on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Ok. Ive read the whole thread. :silly:

Ive flashed the latest nightly build (mar02)

Currently at work today but I will scope it out later (sbus output) and connect it to an FC for testing.

@hexfet
I completly forgot about posting addtl info on wolfbox. I will post detailed images later. Im not sure what firmware the stock wolfbox was using, but have flashed it (now) with latest openLRSng fw 3.9.0 (using arduino) . im using latest configurator also version 1.0.0. Rx also flashed to latest, again with arduino.

Hardware schematic for this is (I think) a copy of flytron M3(tx). Havent had the time to properly trace the actual circuit.

What I have figured out now is how to get sbus(or sumd) output from the rx. Using PPM input from Tx thru JR bay. Now what I need to do now(later) is check if openLRSng supports sbus/sumd as input. Really havent thought of that until Ive read THIS THREAD. this would be waaay better having sbus input and sbus output(instead of ppm to sbus).

If wolfbox/olrsng does not accept sbus input, could order QLRS modules.

Will update later. And thanks for the awesome work!!

P.s.got the mp3 module installed. I hope this wont give problems?

UPD:
Yes openLRSng supports sbus input :woohoo:
github.com/openLRSng/openLRSng/issues/116

UPD2:
Ok got some signal scope'd on the trainer port. Ive used 'SBUS'. And this is my 1st time viewing an Sbus. So this is un-inverted?

Wolfbox 433MHz 1000mW Tx & 100mW Rx came w/o any kind of manual. Even the description at BG was different from what I got. The Tx antenna was replaced with shortened dipole instead of telescoping antenna. SMA placement of Tx is different also. Im using openLRSng 3.9.0 on Tx/Rx.

I had -lots- of RF interference when using stock ufl/sma cable and antenna on Tx , on rf out 5/6/7. With 1, there is NO problem.note im using an audio amp/speaker as my RF radiation monitor. So had to replace them with new cable RGxxx(next time will directly bypass ufl connector and solder directly to module pins). Made also a vee dipole. Seemed to work better a bit. But TRANSMITTER still gets interference when the ground element gets 'touched'. I think this is normal. this needs better antenna placement I suppose. Its using RF23BP(what ive seen on countless posts). I do have a few of those modules for backup and diy.

Rx is using RFM22, again this info from net.havent removed the covering yet. But it works.although with servo test only. Binding and failsafe setting with Tx button at back.

Honestly, havent done much with Rx yet as im still waiting for parts to arrive on 6" build.

Sorry for being slow. :) work is just taking a toll on me.

Current mod/s:
Added 220uF elcap at power input of Tx. On Rx
3D printed 'knurled SMA wrench' bought from BG.

My next plan is diy the Tx module and 3D print a case, to mount farther away from control.

UPD3
Nice!! Even works on the JR bay. SBUS or PPM (or any other protocol)

UPD4
Ive connected the transmitter trainer port(3.5mm 3p plug, tip=Tx/sleeve=Gnd) to my old hglrc F425 stack. Through dsmx pad(uart 1) and setting protocol to serial/sbus(obviously). And yep. In reciever tab, everything moves. On CLI , set sbus_invertion = on.

Took me a while to test ALL 3 pads (dsmx/ppm/sbus) to get connection. Sbus pad just wont accept it even when its labeled sbus(even with inversions on and off)

Anyways, ive also wired my wolfbox tx module to transmitter and scope out the sbus output from the rx output(yes, confirmed). Just a matter of time connecting it (rx) to FC. But....

I need to sleep 1st. ?

UPD5(last)
Yes it works! :D From T8SG plus(sbus protocol) ->> wolfbox 1000mW Tx flashed with openLRSng in 'sbus' mode ->> wolfbox rx(in sbus output mode) ->> F4 FC serial/sbus(invertion=on). The last thing to do is test it out in the air. In 2 weeks time. I need to make a separate Tx module away from the controller(T8SG+) because during high power settings of tx module, the controller gets interference.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2019 06:53 by Rjx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2019 15:57 - 06 Mar 2019 15:58 #73235 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Status update on CRSF configuration. So far I've got reliable communication with the modules to get device and parameter information, and a couple basic screens that just list the names for now. Next is to update the screens to follow the menu structure and show values. Following that is adding edit controls. Finally adding support for the commands like binding.

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Mar 2019 15:58 by hexfet.

More
06 Mar 2019 17:42 #73237 by hexfet
Rjx, glad you got it sorted. Looks like a nice setup.

More
06 Mar 2019 18:12 #73239 by Rjx
Nice one hexfet! B)

A bit off-topic but Ive just finished this "OpenLRSng" Tx hardware by Kha. Few pinout remaps here and there, SPI hardware 'connections' but firmware not yet using SPI. Basically a slight hw upgrade from the old openLRS design.

My goal here was to separate the tx module from controller and avoid rf interference && UP the rf output power. Will use the 3.5mm trainer port for sbus output. Still designing case along with 2x 18650 batts to power this thing ;)
Attachments:

More
07 Mar 2019 20:51 #73262 by Rjx
@hexfet

Is there also SUMD support?

More
08 Mar 2019 18:58 #73271 by hexfet
No but I can add to the list. Sending looks straightforward.

More
08 Mar 2019 21:46 #73275 by Rjx
Super!

It will surely be a nice addition to lrs. sbus would have been ok if it werent for scaling errors (1mS-2mS) and signal inversion.

More
13 Mar 2019 03:29 - 13 Mar 2019 03:31 #73327 by hexfet
Support for SUMD in test build (7983588) here . Data values are spot on according to this spec . The specified packet interval is 10ms which is the default but there's a protocol option to adjust it from 6 to 14 (left over because it was copied from sbus). Might not have got the CRC correct but no way to test.

The failsafe setting is not implemented yet. It's not clear from the spec if it is a one-time procedure or if failsafe frames should be transmitted periodically. Anyone know this detail?
Last edit: 13 Mar 2019 03:31 by hexfet.

More
13 Mar 2019 03:34 - 13 Mar 2019 12:31 #73328 by Rjx

hexfet wrote: Support for SUMD in test build (7983588) here . Data values are spot on according to this spec . The specified packet interval is 10ms which is the default but there's a protocol option to adjust it from 6 to 14 (left over because it was copied from sbus). Might not have got the CRC correct but no way to test.

The failsafe setting is not implemented yet. It's not clear from the spec if it is a one-time procedure or if failsafe frames should be transmitted periodically. Anyone know this detail?

Thanks hexfet

Yup confirmed working. Using the trainer port going to FC.

The only problem I see is 1100uS to 1900uS stick movements.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2019 12:31 by Rjx.

More
15 Mar 2019 03:02 - 15 Mar 2019 03:02 #73366 by hexfet
Thanks for testing. Those are the 100% values required by the specification. At 150% they should be 900/2100. Are you seeing something different from that?

Any info on the normal usage of the failsafe feature of SUMD? Is there a standard way of sending failsafe values to SUMD receivers?
Last edit: 15 Mar 2019 03:02 by hexfet.

More
15 Mar 2019 03:09 - 15 Mar 2019 03:11 #73367 by Rjx

hexfet wrote: Thanks for testing. Those are the 100% values required by the specification. At 150% they should be 900/2100. Are you seeing something different from that?

Any info on the normal usage of the failsafe feature of SUMD? Is there a standard way of sending failsafe values to SUMD receivers?

Ok. How would I go about with 125%? Can it be done on FC? Or by controller only?

I dont understand the 'seeing something different',

Tbh Dont have any idea regarding sumd. Is this old protocol? Ive always used iBus, since I went with flysky(cheaper) compared to frsky(sbus) on 2.4GHz system.

No idea as well with failsafes either. This is my first test with sumd(FC test)..

Or how about just "copy" how ibus or sbus do their failsafes?
Last edit: 15 Mar 2019 03:11 by Rjx.

More
15 Mar 2019 19:15 #73377 by hexfet
Probably can adjust in either place. In deviation click on the channel name and set the Scale to 125.

Looking at the Qlrs it provides it's own configuration for setting failsafes. Doesn't seem to pay attention to the SUMD failsafe signal. I'll just leave the functionality out for now.

More
21 Mar 2019 00:14 #73457 by hexfet
Configuration for Crossfire devices is getting closer. Test build available here for t8sg plus and devo10.

This build was tested with a full-size Crossfire transmitter and an Nano RX receiver. All the functions are working, but there are a couple rough edges such as overlapping text and blank lines in a menu.

Please report any test results, especially with Crossfire devices other than the above.

Video of navigating through some of the menus

More
25 Mar 2019 12:57 #73545 by Pepe
Replied by Pepe on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
So I downloaded the test build for t8sg v2 plus, everything is working fine with my micro tx!
Have a hard time to set mid and end points, everytime I plug it the values changes, now it seems to be OK....
I set channel 12 for LQ, channel 8 on betaflight, it appears on my osd but very low (36) But I have a full bar on ch8 on the radio page on BT3.5.6
Also when I reboot on BT the rssi channel is always disable, any idea?

More
25 Mar 2019 15:18 - 25 Mar 2019 15:19 #73548 by hexfet
Thanks for testing! Test build is updated ( cb4773c ). A few minor changes. The word LOADING appears on the top line while retrieving parameters from a device. The display width for values is made only as wide as necessary to leave more room for the parameter names.

Have a hard time to set mid and end points, everytime I plug it the values changes, now it seems to be OK....

Which endpoints are you referring to? Is it a Crossfire setting? If so please try with the new test build.

Don't know about the betaflight behavior. Currently don't have a board that will run anything past 3.2.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2019 15:19 by hexfet.

More
26 Mar 2019 20:16 - 26 Mar 2019 20:17 #73560 by Pepe
ok, i did the update and everything is working, i need to do a test flight but its very windy here, maybe thursday or friday!
I was refering the mid and endpoint of the sticks on betaflight, but everything is good now!
thanks for the great work, now we are able to switch to 12 channels and have LQ on the OSD....
why my LQ is only 35? noise indahouse? the bar on channel 8 in betaflight is full, and my rssi channel is always disable everytime i connect to BF...strange?
Last edit: 26 Mar 2019 20:17 by Pepe.

More
26 Mar 2019 22:39 #73567 by hexfet
The LQ values are shown in row 4 (rx, tx) on the telemetry test screen. What value do you see there? If the value there is near 100% (mine is above 95 in the house) that would match the value seen on betaflight channel 8. Don't know why that would show as a low value in the OSD.

Do you meant the rssi channel output from the receiver? What do you have to do to re-enable the rssi channel?

More
27 Mar 2019 18:50 #73573 by Pepe
Solid 100% on the telemetry page but only 36 on my osd

More
28 Mar 2019 01:18 #73575 by hexfet
Interesting. You have AUX8 configured as the RSSI channel on the betaflight receiver page? What is the value for RSSI in the Info box on the configurator Setup page? With my 3.2.3 betaflight the value in the info box, minus 1, is what is displayed in the OSD. The value tracks the RSSI channel with 2000=100% and 1500=50%.

More
28 Mar 2019 14:20 #73584 by Pepe
That's what I was trying to explain, everytime time i put AUX8 as the RSSI channel on BF receiver page and save , when I disconnect and connect again the RSSI channel is back to Disable!

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds