Devo7e work

More
21 Feb 2013 12:52 #6686 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo7e work

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: While the topic is back up; when the diode mod is done, does a 10mW setting actually equate to the old setting with stock firmware? Also, if the diode mod is done and then the stock firmware is reinstalled, does it have any effect whatsoever on performance?

Actually it will have a bit more power: about 10mW, while it's only about 7mW without the mod.
This is because in the original state the T212's power amplifier section is bypassed, but the antenna switch has some attenuation: typically 3.6dB according to the datasheet.

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: With the switch mod, is it correct that the hardware switches are referenced as "aileron D/R" and "elevator D/R"? But that those names are just for hardware reference, ie. you can assign them to anything you want? Is there a way of assigning both Ail and Ele dual rates to one switch? Not seeing a need on a heli to have separate switches for these, but would like to separate D/R from idle-up.

You can configure any switch to control anything (even more then one thing), so yes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2013 13:12 #6690 by Mullson
Replied by Mullson on topic Devo7e work

FDR wrote: Actually it will have a bit more power: about 10mW, while it's only about 7mW without the mod.
This is because in the original state the T212's power amplifier section is bypassed, but the antenna switch has some attenuation: typically 3.6dB according to the datasheet.

I installed the mods prior to deviation!
And it's true it crackles and drain the batteries. Is it plausible that its more than 10mW?
I think its more than 10mW. Its going to be really interesting when the testing begins.

More
21 Feb 2013 13:17 - 21 Feb 2013 13:18 #6691 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo7e work
I answered for this question:

when the diode mod is done, does a 10mW setting actually equate to the old setting with stock firmware?

So using deviation with the power set to 10mW it will have slightly more power then without the mod using the original fw.

With the diode mod using the original fw it will have about 100-150mW output power all the time...
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 13:18 by FDR.

More
21 Feb 2013 13:29 #6693 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo7e work
when running at 10mW in Deviation with the diode-mod, you are using the power-amp to boost the signal, and not the RF chip. generally the mod will cause the Tx to draw more power since we've activated the power-amp circuitry (which has a fixed 20dBm gain). So even at the lowest powers, you may actually see the tx using more battery power than stock. It will definitely use more at 150mW. Plus deviation itself may not be as battery-efficient as stock.

Also, generally I recommend staying to 100mW or less. The efficiency of the power-amp at 150mW is pretty bad (and the actual signal may not really reach 150mW, we start to see dropoff in the PA as we reach its max power output.

More
21 Feb 2013 14:08 #6700 by Mullson

FDR wrote: I answered for this question:

when the diode mod is done, does a 10mW setting actually equate to the old setting with stock firmware?

So using deviation with the power set to 10mW it will have slightly more power then without the mod using the original fw.

With the diode mod using the original fw it will have about 100-150mW output power all the time...

Sorry.
So many questions and topics.

More
21 Feb 2013 14:22 #6701 by Mullson

PhracturedBlue wrote: So even at the lowest powers, you may actually see the tx using more battery power than stock. It will definitely use more at 150mW. Plus deviation itself may not be as battery-efficient as stock.

I have tried Stock firmware with mods and it drains the the batteries in 3-5min.
Deviation with Devo at 150mW is way more efficient.
Can it be stock firmware uses both modules at the same time?

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
21 Feb 2013 14:41 - 21 Feb 2013 14:42 #6707 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Devo7e work

Mullson wrote: ...Stock firmware with mods and it drains the the batteries in 3-5min...

Really? No mistyping? Even if both modules would send with full power I never expected that.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 14:42 by rbe2012.

More
21 Feb 2013 14:54 #6715 by Xermalk
Replied by Xermalk on topic Devo7e work
There is no way that the stock firmware would run out of power in 3-5m.
That would be 12C drain on AA battery's :dry: .

More
21 Feb 2013 15:10 #6718 by Mullson
Fully charged but not with the best batteries. If you can have it on for 10min with 4.10 limit I will eat my hat. Dont be afraid of the crackling sound :evil:
If you have done the mods try it yourselves. The stock firmware was in a thread 30min ago.

More
21 Feb 2013 15:14 - 21 Feb 2013 15:16 #6719 by PhracturedBlue
Note that you probably shouldn't run stock firmware with a protocol mod. the diode or switch mod won't do too much harm, but with the protocol mod, the chip-enable may be left floating putting the V911 module into an unknown state. I didn't test it, so maybe the Tx enables the internal pull-up/down and everything is fine. I've certainly run the stock firmware for short-periods with the v911 module on my Devo8 without any harm, but once you start hacking your Tx, all bets are off.

Edit: now thatI think about it, the switch mods may be bad for the stock firmware too. I use an 'active high' enable, but I think they use 'active low'. That means the diode won't work as expected and you may see very funny behavior. Fully untested by me of course as I don't have that mod yet.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 15:16 by PhracturedBlue.

More
21 Feb 2013 17:56 #6724 by dehalo
Replied by dehalo on topic Devo7e work

Usjak wrote: Yes, he did. I was under the impression that it wouldn't go much further. Let's see what the future tests show.

Xermalk wrote:

OnceAFly wrote: How's the range test on shorted diode mod?

150m+ along the ground (tx and rx 1.5m above ground). As thats where i ran out of space when testing with my master cp (it has a tiny single antenna).
Should be farther up in the air. Im waiting for temps above 0 before i try another range test.

I did the diode short mod with conductive paint (s. earlier post). I now get ~160 m range @100 mW and @150 mW with a V200D02 Walkera heli. direct line of view on ground level in a residential area. Before the mod it was like ~80 m.
160 m is also what I get with the WK-2801 pro (not sure if this is 10 mW or 100 mW as I got it from Wowhobbies in the US).

More
22 Feb 2013 01:00 #6737 by harmony96
Replied by harmony96 on topic Devo7e work
After diode mod, I did a simple range test to compare it with devo 8s.
For 100uW setting, the range was the same. In fact, 7e was slightly better than 8s.

About the range, mini cp was roughly 8~9m. For ar6100e, I got 10m. Remember that ar6100e is not a full range receiver.

Strangely, If I set to 300uW for 8s, I got a range more than 2 times compared with 100uW.

More
22 Feb 2013 02:07 - 25 Feb 2013 07:43 #6748 by Mullson
Sorry I am drunk.
Try it if you want there will be no harm!
I am certain.
sorry if I made a mess.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2013 07:43 by Mullson.

More
22 Feb 2013 22:10 #6848 by dehalo
Replied by dehalo on topic Devo7e work

PhracturedBlue wrote: The wk2601 protocol is very odd, and needs a customized config to work with most helis.

Specifically, make sure you are using 'Chan mode = Heli' Then read the documentation for how to configure the gyro channels. While I have a couple Rx, I don't actually have a 2601 heli I can configure so I can't guve further instruction.

I don't really understand the manual on WK2601/Heli:
Heli: AIL, ELE, THR, RUD, GYRO are proportional. Gear (ch 5) is binary. COL (ch 6) is linked to Thr. If Ch6 >= 0, the Rx will apply a 3D curve to the Thr. If Ch6 < 0, the Rx will apply normal curves to the Thr. The value of Ch6 defines the ratio of COL to THR.
How can Ch6 do all this? Which one is the GYRO channel?

More
22 Feb 2013 23:08 - 22 Feb 2013 23:16 #6850 by PhracturedBlue
It happens because that is what the WK2601 protocol does. Gyro is on channel 7.

The Wk2601 has 5 analog channels (AIL, THR, ELE, RUD, and GYRO). there are 2 dials on a wk2601 tx that behave differently depending on configuration, and these are used to set the cross-mixing. Additionally there is a fmode switch which chooses one of 2 pre-defined curves (each of which can be somewhat modified by the above dials).

So channel 6 allows you to choose which curve is in use (basically the fmode switch, as well as allowing you to set the 'V0/V1' value for the cross mixing.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 23:16 by PhracturedBlue.

More
25 Feb 2013 15:24 - 25 Feb 2013 15:33 #7032 by Xermalk
So, i updated to the latest build yesterday, and now i get invalid model files every time i try to enter the dr/expo and throttle curve menus.

Even when i reset the models, or use a template from the devo 10 build. :(
Going reverting back to b76ac7445568.

Edit: standard mixer does not work at all on the Devo 7E. Invalid model files even when using clean model and template files.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2013 15:33 by Xermalk.

More
25 Feb 2013 15:37 #7035 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Devo7e work
You need use new heli_std.ini template file from latest build.

More
25 Feb 2013 15:40 - 25 Feb 2013 15:42 #7036 by PhracturedBlue
Confirmed this is a bug.

You can work around it by going to the switch-assign page and pressing 'ENT'
That will reset the switch definitions such that the models work properly.
Note that there were big changes made to the standard mixer. models created with it before are no longer valid. I'm trying to get everything finalized so thatthe formats won't need to change after release. I think I've made the last of the compatibility changes, but no guarantees.

EDIT: vlad's solution is notsufficient on the 7e.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2013 15:42 by PhracturedBlue.

More
25 Feb 2013 16:59 #7041 by Xermalk
Ill stick to b76ac7445568 for now then.

Btw, isn't it about time that the 7E got its own filesystem zip file?
Or atleast rename the Devo10 one to Devo10+7E.
Its the only tx model that dosn't have one when you run "make release".

More
26 Feb 2013 15:07 #7089 by Seba-Wan
Replied by Seba-Wan on topic Devo7e work
Hello guys,
I've read the all work, sincerely congratulations! But..
I want the maximum devo 7e range, so i don't understand the following things to reach the goal:

1- Short the diode. That's clear :)
2- I have to change the module (example for a7105? or only with the diode mod its enough?
3- Change the antenna?
4- I have to install deviation firmware mandatory? In that case, wich value(mw) is correct?
5-With all things and some ones you recommend me, how far can i go with the DEVO 7e?

Thanks!!

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds