Deviation for Devo F4?

More
15 Jul 2016 22:33 - 15 Jul 2016 22:35 #51733 by Arnold
Replied by Arnold on topic Deviation for Devo F4?

SirDomsen wrote: Reading the datasheet of that weird chip it's clear now to me. So we need to discuss which sign has to replace which iiuc?

I think so. That sheet answers my question, "Where does the character set come from?" For the F4 & F7, the characters all live on that OSD chip and we have to use something from there... or stay with the plain block character. So, it's like the Presidential election... no good choices. :-)

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?
Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 22:35 by Arnold.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2016 09:04 #51877 by SirDomsen
Replied by SirDomsen on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
Did you make some progress, djtrance? If you need someone to test your changes, I just want to let you know that I'm in ;)

More
19 Jul 2016 11:37 #51885 by djtrance
Replied by djtrance on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
I have not time to test the changes and continue development. I hope to have time to continue tomorrow.

More
21 Jul 2016 01:10 #51942 by sensaurabh
Replied by sensaurabh on topic Deviation for Devo F4?

Arnold wrote: Got the video setup working on my F4. I'm using the THR trim and virtual switch arrangement which works well enough, since I don't have any hardware switches yet. I made a template with the settings for video, which works OK for toggling video on and off.

In other news ...
I'm going through the thread again to try to see if I can work out the connections for switches. I initiated a new thread for adding switches to the F4, mainly for my own benefit, but maybe it'll help others who want to do that too, but don't want to spend the time searching through this thread.
Also, I installed a 3-in-1 module - at least 2 out of 3 since I don't know where to connect to make the 3rd module active. I did it with wire-wrapping because it was easy and I need the nRF for the MJX hexacopter I'll use to carry the video gear. I'd appreciate any suggestions for the activating the 3rd module.

I hooked up the third module to the "GAME RX" on the trainer port. Just set the GPIO in hardware.ini to A9.

More
21 Jul 2016 01:30 #51943 by Epitaph
Replied by Epitaph on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
3 modules plus the original, obviously have to add all those protocols... isn't the devo.fs file getting a little too close to its limit size with all that?

More
21 Jul 2016 02:08 #51944 by sensaurabh

Epitaph wrote: 3 modules plus the original, obviously have to add all those protocols... isn't the devo.fs file getting a little too close to its limit size with all that?

I've got devo, dsm2, dsmx, v202, usbhid, ppm, hubsan4 and s-fhss protocols and about 12 models configured on my F4. And I'm using about 49kB out of 64kB. Mostly used for my micro-quads..... and Tiny Whoop!!!

More
21 Jul 2016 02:15 #51945 by Epitaph
USBHID and PPM??

More
21 Jul 2016 02:35 #51946 by sensaurabh

Epitaph wrote: USBHID and PPM??

Usbhid - (Joystick device) For FPVFreerider, RCDeskPilot and FMS simulators on PC. Saves me millions! Hehe..
PPM - Same, but not used after discovering usbhid! (I should remove it)
B)

More
21 Jul 2016 02:37 - 21 Jul 2016 02:41 #51947 by Epitaph
That's what I was wondering, why have both... the thing I don't like is where the USB cable comes out of, so I made myself a wireless dongle with a PPM DSMX receiver and just set up a model bound to it.

Last edit: 21 Jul 2016 02:41 by Epitaph.

More
21 Jul 2016 03:05 #51949 by sensaurabh

Epitaph wrote: That's what I was wondering, why have both... the thing I don't like is where the USB cable comes out of, so I made myself a wireless dongle with a PPM DSMX receiver and just set up a model bound to it.

I have a couple of spare redcon CM621 dsm2 receivers lying around. I should look into this. Looks very convenient! Do I need a ppm out? It looks like I can hook up AUX4 to the mic in?

More
21 Jul 2016 03:10 - 21 Jul 2016 03:17 #51950 by Epitaph
It's very easy... yes, you do need a PPM capable receiver. I just used an old OrangeRX R615x 6ch DSMX receiver, but any PPM receiver will work.

Just connect the red to positive on the USB, the black to negative, and the white to the tip of the jack plug to input the PPM signal. Then just setup a normal model on your transmitter, with the protocol of the receiver chosen, bind the receiver to the transmitter on that model, and that's it... no special setup needed or anything. I use this in PhoenixRC 5.5 and works perfect.

I have a couple of those DSM2 receivers you mention, and I think they don't have PPM out, so they can't be used. One that would work and is nice and small is the micro Flysky receiver which has 8 channels via PPM here . The only thing to remember is it's not a fixed ID, so you have to bind on every startup, but the binding is the same as any of the V9xx protocol models, as in just plug it in, then turn on the transmitter, and it will automatically bind. And it's cheap. Also, being as small as it is, you might be able to fit it inside the actual dongle!!
Last edit: 21 Jul 2016 03:17 by Epitaph.

More
21 Jul 2016 03:19 #51951 by sensaurabh
Awesome. I think I'll try this. With smartpropo+.

More
21 Jul 2016 03:22 #51952 by Epitaph
I just find it so much more comfortable than having wires hanging out of the transmitter from awkward places... I hate excessive and unnecessary wires all over the place.

Doesn't need an external power source even as it feeds straight off the 5V the USB gives.

More
21 Jul 2016 04:39 - 22 Jul 2016 02:39 #51953 by Arnold

sensaurabh wrote: ... I hooked up the third module to the "GAME RX" on the trainer port. Just set the GPIO in hardware.ini to A9.

Where is that located in the tx? I'd like to make the connection, but don't know how to find it from your description.

Last edit: 22 Jul 2016 02:39 by Arnold.

More
21 Jul 2016 06:32 #51954 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Deviation for Devo F4?

sensaurabh wrote: I have a couple of spare redcon CM621 dsm2 receivers lying around. I should look into this. Looks very convenient! Do I need a ppm out? It looks like I can hook up AUX4 to the mic in?

If that's from banggood, I think their doc is wrong; pretty sure it's copied from one of the higher-spec redcon RXs, and that there's no PPM-out on the CM621 (well, it doesn't have an AUX4 for starters...)

More
21 Jul 2016 22:23 #51966 by Epitaph

Arnold wrote:

Arnold wrote: ... I hooked up the third module to the "GAME RX" on the trainer port. Just set the GPIO in hardware.ini to A9.

Where is that located in the tx? I'd like to make the connection, but don't know how to find it from your description.

GAME_RX is the bottom pin on the trainer port... the problem is i don't know if it can be used if you are using an arduino for PPM in as it's the same port...

More
21 Jul 2016 22:35 - 21 Jul 2016 22:43 #51968 by Epitaph
I've just been looking at the schematics of the F4, and A11 seems to be USB D- and A12 is USB D+... now, you wouldn't be using the module and the USB port at the same time, so, would it work if you wired it into there, assigned the A port in the hardware.ini, and just fitted a small switch on that particular line, so when you are using the USB port, you can disconnect the module connection via the switch? I mean, you would only be using the USB port when using USBHID or in USB Drive mode.

If not, then A2 isn't doing anything... would it work for this? It would mean soldering directly onto the MCU, but...

If you want to try it, A2 is the first pin on the MCU on the top right corner on the right hand side, marked here in red. I mean, I don't know if assigning a port to a module is as easy and simple as this, but it might be a way...
Last edit: 21 Jul 2016 22:43 by Epitaph.

More
21 Jul 2016 23:15 - 22 Jul 2016 00:49 #51970 by Epitaph
OK, Quick update...

I tried it out with my nRF24L01 module I had installed in A13. I just removed the solder point from there and soldered it to the first pin of the MCU I painted in red, then changed the Hardware.ini file to A2... AND IT WORKS PERFECT!!

And, seeing as it's the end pin of the MCU, it's very easy to solder to without "slipping" to the adjacent pin or anything!!

And I have no way of actually verifying this as I don't have one, but based on internal photos, and the schematics for it, this will probably work on the F7 too
Last edit: 22 Jul 2016 00:49 by Epitaph.

More
22 Jul 2016 22:25 - 22 Jul 2016 22:43 #52023 by Arnold

Epitaph wrote: GAME_RX is the bottom pin on the trainer port...

Where is the trainer port? I see the socket for connecting the DSC plug from the back half of the case, and I see a "GAME_TX" label on the board next to it, but not finding "GAME_RX". I do have a question (see next post) about your other approach.

Last edit: 22 Jul 2016 22:43 by Arnold.

More
22 Jul 2016 22:34 - 22 Jul 2016 23:11 #52025 by Arnold

Epitaph wrote: ... AND IT WORKS PERFECT!!

Ok.
If I used this method and
if I had this particular module selected and
If I turned on the tx in USB mode without a switch turning off the module ...
What would happen?
I think nothing bad would happen because by starting in USB mode, the startup routine would not read the hardware.ini file and that means the modules would not be recognized or initialized - thus, no conflict.
What do you think? :)

Last edit: 22 Jul 2016 23:11 by Arnold.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds