Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade

More
30 May 2016 14:18 - 30 May 2016 14:22 #49568 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade

Cereal_Killer wrote: You're counting the 2nd I've done (not mine but a members here)?

Whoops... nope! :woohoo: Fourteen!!! :woohoo:

dc59 wrote: Here : :)
RCTW Forum - Taiwan
5iMX Froum - China

多谢!Nice chinese version of the tutorial by the way. I'll add a link to it.
Last edit: 30 May 2016 14:22 by silpstream.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2016 16:19 #49575 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
my impatiens is getting the better of me, so as i can't be bothered waiting for the usb headers to arrive i'm going to swap out the mcu in the faulty 7e i've got, so if all goes well with the usb connection after replacing the mcu it will be 15 ult7e's in about an hours time!

More
30 May 2016 18:54 #49580 by silpstream
@HappyHarry, just read your other thread about the mcu swap. You didn't mention the processor. Are we counting 15? :p

More
30 May 2016 18:56 #49581 by HappyHarry
heh read the post above yours ;)

More
30 May 2016 18:58 #49583 by silpstream
Doh... woohoo!!!

More
30 May 2016 19:51 #49585 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
As far as I understand, inclusion in the nightly build is defined not by just number of TXs in use but by their perspective. Yes, there is only 1 (one) fully functional AT9 in existence now. But it is a perspective line of work. Radiolink just started making their TXs, no sign of them canceling the line. The modification is relatively easy, provided you use a custom board - desolder original RF module, place a header, solder 4-in-1 to the custom board (provided you have this board assembled already), plug it in.

Devo 7E 256 on the other hand is dying - they're probably selling out the stock, not going to produce new ones. Modification is hard - hot air, capton tape, foil, soldering large short-strided chip. Also, people are already mistaking the build "Ultimate 7E" for the best for their unmodified device and then wondering why it stopped working. So while there are benefits for including this in the nightly build, the potential for harm should not be underestimated.

More
30 May 2016 20:29 #49586 by HappyHarry
all devo's but the 'F' series are dying, and modding the radiolink AT9 (which has been around a couple of years) sounds just as involved as replacing the mcu on the 7e, which if not using hot air to remove the mcu doesn't require the foil or kapton tape etc, chipquick will have the mcu off in no time without all the extra's. granted it's not a swap for everyone, but nor is adding modules to the 6,8,7e,10,12, nor modifying an AT9, but clearly there are people doing so.

recovering a stock 7e from a failed ultimate7e flash is as simple as flashing the proper firmware again, i know this as i helped someone who doesn't read do exactly that, and if people don't read you can't protect them :/

regardless it makes no difference to me as i'll keep building them myself and making them available for as long as needed :)

More
30 May 2016 22:23 - 30 May 2016 22:24 #49593 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Victzh has the gist of it. While the end of life of the 7e is irrelevant (Deviation is primarily designed for the Devo line), there is no comparison between the effort needed to add the 4-in-1 module to an AT9 vs doing the ultimate 7e mod. In a sense the only reason I provide pre-built binaries is because I don't think most users can go through the steps to build from source. But if you can replace the MCU on a 7e, I have confidence you can learn to setup docker and build from source, and so the incentive for me to support it is lower. Additionally, with such a major mod, it is very easy for user error to cause issues which there is no way for me to support. I don't really want to deal with bug reports that I cannot reproduce, and so, again, a custom build doesn't make too much sense. Lastly, There are many additional hardware mods that can be done for the 7e (analog dials, additional switches, etc). While we can enable all of those as options, not everyone will use them, and again support becomes a real issue.

I may eventually cave and officially support the ultimate 7e, but I am not there yet.
Last edit: 30 May 2016 22:24 by PhracturedBlue.

More
31 May 2016 00:18 #49605 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade

silpstream wrote: 多谢!Nice chinese version of the tutorial by the way. I'll add a link to it.

Just try to translate your tutorial into Chinese. :)
Thanks for your great tutorial.

More
31 May 2016 09:57 #49619 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
I received my parts, so another Ultimate on the way, but before I start modding and endup in troubles, I need to get clear, how I can get the right builds;
I intend to go for Full mod of Devo 7e;
4x 3way
2x 2way
2x Analog Pot

Do you need different builds for the pots and switches or is this included in any Ultimate Build posted ?
So can those builds work with old setup for switches no pots ?

I know it should be possible to generate own builds etc, but personally I prefer to stay togheter and use same builds.

More
31 May 2016 11:53 #49632 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Slipstream and HappyHarry both have builds available for both: stock switches w/ 256 and added switches / pots w/256!

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
31 May 2016 12:51 #49638 by silpstream
Cereal_Killer is correct. Just one bit to add. [HappyHarry] builds are based on the nightlies release so you will have one each time a nightly is out (based on his time to get it up of course]. The builds in [silpstream] are all based on BRANCH_5.0.0 (i.e Deviation 5.0.0 last stable release) with the code changes for switches and pots merged into it, you will only see new versions of this as new features are added specific to the u7e.

More
31 May 2016 13:28 - 31 May 2016 13:29 #49644 by phantom8
Replied by phantom8 on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Just changed the CPU of a Devo 7e using drag soldering and everything is working fine. IMO, it's much easier than using a Hot Air Gun. However, there was a little drama the first time I soldered the chip. To my understanding, the corner with a circle indicates Pin 1. Unfortunately, the chip I got has 2 circles on 2 opposite corners. I thought the larger circle was Pin 1. Of course, that was a mistake. I had to unsolder the chip and replaced with another one. What are the chances of the first chip being damaged when soldered upside down and power was applied? I need to do another CPU replacement for my daughter's Devo 7e. If there is a big chance of damaging the first chip, I will order another one.

Here is the chip I got. The top right corner with a circle is not Pin 1. Pin 1 is at the bottom left. Don't make the same mistake as me.

Thanks slipstream for making such a nice and complete tutorial. It was very easy to follow.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 May 2016 13:29 by phantom8.

More
31 May 2016 14:03 #49649 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Note that I merged slipstream's mods into the trunk. So you will get the changes there as well. Along with the bugs from the menu re-org that are still in progress.

More
31 May 2016 15:14 - 31 May 2016 15:15 #49655 by HappyHarry

Cereal_Killer wrote: Slipstream...

phantom8 wrote: Thanks slipstream ....

PhracturedBlue wrote: Note that I merged slipstream's...

you know what i'm glad to see this lol, this issue had me scratching my head for about half an hour when i was trying to add his repo as a remote track to my own local deviation repo and i couldn't understand why it wouldn't work. till i eventually noticed his username is s i l pstream, it's amazing how your brain unscrambles letters if the word is close to being something recognisable, and i'm glad i'm not alone :D
Last edit: 31 May 2016 15:15 by HappyHarry.

More
01 Jun 2016 11:07 #49718 by silpstream
LOL... happens all the time. Auto correct is to blame too! :blink:

More
01 Jun 2016 12:07 #49727 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Yes, damn that autocorrect!

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
01 Jun 2016 12:09 #49729 by HappyHarry
well my autocorrect is inbuilt to my brain, as i was doing it on the pc not my phone lol

More
01 Jun 2016 13:12 - 01 Jun 2016 13:16 #49748 by Newman
Replied by Newman on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Just "bookmarking" this for a rainy day project when I am feeling extremely adventurous :woohoo:

H8 silverware, Devo processor upgrades, you do get around Happy Harry :)
Last edit: 01 Jun 2016 13:16 by Newman. Reason: Additional response

More
01 Jun 2016 13:54 #49752 by HappyHarry
heh a man needs his hobbies, as the saying goes 'all work and no play makes harry a dull boy' ;)

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds